Princess cabin categories; old and new.

generichandle

I keep getting asked on Princess' website if I want the old categories or the new. I have not quite understood the relationship between them. Can someone explain it? Or can you redirect me to a thread that does, since I wager this has been discussed thoroughly before?

Doug

Understood that part, I meant what is the relationship between the old categories and the new? For example old (cc) = new (?)?

Doug

I can't explain that but in simple terms anything midship in either direction up, down from forward to aft are the most expensive. Any rooms going aft are more expensive than rooms going forward. The old format the higher the deck the higher the price is no longer applicable. The upper Lido and Riviera decks now come up as the least expensive followed by the lower Plaza and Emerald deck. I just did a booking for the Royal. I wanted the most expensive interior. The Baja deck midship rooms came up as the best rooms in that category according to the Princess booking agent.

The new categories are way different.

Example , some cabins that use to be the most expensive Balcony (cat BA)on the Crown/Carib/Emerald/Ruby , forward on the Lido deck , are now one of the least expensive (cat BF) .

Good news for those like me that love those Lido balcony cabins for their location . Booked one yesterday for 2013.

Your TA has access in POLAR to the proper deck plan based upon your sailing date.

The new categories reflect what demand has told Princess are the most popular cabins. Decks above and below public areas were the least popular midships mid level were the most popular. Cabins that can be overlooked aren't as popular as regular balcony cabins.

Good thing is that you can sometimes find the cabin you want in what Princess considers a cheaper/less desirable (according to MOST people) area. Just like food it is subjective.

I am looking at a January cruise on the Emerald. I usually book a mid ship Caribe cabin as I love the larger balcony. It used to be BA that I booked. Last time on the Emerald I think my room number was C510. What will it be now and do the new categories make the Caribe deck cabins cheaper now. I would just love that if it is the case. Thanks.

Here's a link to the Princess info on the recategorization:

http://content.princess.com/pcan/images/1984/Fleet-Recat-Announce.pdf

Generally the higher prices are for midship, then aft & lastly forward. An example of changes is that BA Cabibe deck larger balcony cabins were the same price as Lido deck BA standard balconies. The new plan has Caribe more expensive than those Lido balconies & popular aft facing balconies will be in the premium category of balconies.

I am looking at a January cruise on the Emerald. I usually book a mid ship Caribe cabin as I love the larger balcony. It used to be BA that I booked. Last time on the Emerald I think my room number was C510. What will it be now and do the new categories make the Caribe deck cabins cheaper now. I would just love that if it is the case. Thanks.

C510 on the Emerald will be category B2

What will it be now and do the new categories make the Caribe deck cabins cheaper now. I would just love that if it is the case. Thanks.

The Caribe deck is still the most desired for two reasons the first being the larger balcony and the second being the center level of the ship. A forward balcony on the Caribe will be the least expensive balcony.

Archived