Internet!

Scottygirl1

I really don't know if this has been mentioned before, probably has but hey, I'm going to say it.

Oceania now have a package that costs about $21.99 per day and it is all inclusive 24/7 for the length of your cruise!! You can buy this package at any time on your cruise for the remainder of your cruise.

We are loving it! We can log in at any time, read the local news, checkup on family emails, write up our family travel blog and check out destinations we are about to travel to.

It will cost us about US$250 for our cruise but as far as I'm concerned that is fantastic because using internet by the minute was dreadful! Thank you Oceania for a daily package.

For those who don't use the internet daily, they have a 24 hour package and from the time you log in, you get 24 hours unlimited internet for $27.99. Great for skyping and catching up on family news etc.

This is almost to good to be true!

I really don't know if this has been mentioned before, probably has but hey, I'm going to say it.

Oceania now have a package that costs about $21.99 per day and it is all inclusive 24/7 for the length of your cruise!! You can buy this package at any time on your cruise for the remainder of your cruise.

We are loving it! We can log in at any time, read the local news, checkup on family emails, write up our family travel blog and check out destinations we are about to travel to.

It will cost us about US$250 for our cruise but as far as I'm concerned that is fantastic because using internet by the minute was dreadful! Thank you Oceania for a daily package.

For those who don't use the internet daily, they have a 24 hour package and from the time you log in, you get 24 hours unlimited internet for $27.99. Great for skyping and catching up on family news etc.

This is NOT the first time I've heard this so I do presume it is true.

What I want to recall is what were the former package prices (I usually got the $.70/minute package) and are they still being offered?

I mean, do you have to take THIS offer or nothing?

Mura

I remain skeptical until I see it officially announced.

On the Baltic Cruise on Marina we finished last week it was $19.99 per day for the whole cruise (or for the rest of the cruise starting from the day you sign up) and $24.99 for a single day. We thought that the speed was pretty good for a ship. It was certainly much faster than it had been on the smaller Oceania ships in the past. I liked being able to check the news online and not having to think about the per minute cost. I was happy with the new program, but based on posts above, it sounds like they have already raised the prices a couple of bucks a day.

Steve

Scottygirl, how did you sign up for It?

It was easy you can just do it from your own compute in your room. You open your browser and follow the prompts. There is a guy in the computer lab at posted times who will help if you would like.

Steve

Scottygirl, I'm glad you're happy, but that is still serious money ($22.00 per day). I think it's way too much.

So I've staked my all on an i-phone prior to my trip. Hope I can track down a SIM card and decent pre-paid package at my first port of call. And then I will hop off the ship and get my communications done at WIFI hotspots or using my SIM, on land.

I may be overly sensitive to this, as we Canadians have been completely bilked by our telcom companies for the past ten years. At this point I'm so angry with the pack of them (or anyone else who tries to exorbitantly inflate internet costs) I will go out of my way to beat anyone's money-gouging ways.

I haven't tried to skype yet - maybe that won't be possible but it did allow me to dial up my daughter's skype address (she didn't answer).

Yes, all the other packages are still available - there is pay as you go, 100 mins, 150 mins etc. We decided for the amount we use our computer for information that this would cost us much more.

It is all totally optional but we feel that the luxury of keeping in contact, writing a travel blog etc is well worth the $21.99 a day.

The speed seems to be great - I download photos to my blog everyday (lower resolution) and they load up very fast. All in all, a great solution for our needs.

We tried skyping today and there was audio but no video. That was fine, at least we could communicate with our loved ones. Today my partner has been researching the port we are going to and playing with GPS etc on his iPhone.

This is just the very best thing to have unlimited internet - I know you don't cruise to sit behind a computer but let's face it, some of us (me) rely on it so much now for general information and communication. Wonderful!!!

A suggestion for iPhone users: it requires Internet service, but the free app: what's app, allows free unlimited texting to other smartphones that have installed the app. You can also send photos with your text. The AT&T international plans only offer limited numbers of texts and can still be inexpensive. It was a wonderful way to stay in touch with my kids when they were traveling in Europe.

Wow - that is surprisingly affordable for unlimited internet! I wonder if other up-market lines will follow suit? I know I will be purchasing this plan on our upcoming N. Europe/Baltics cruise on the Marina if it is still available (please still be available!!!)

Thanks for sharing this news!

Although $19.95 sounds like a lot, and nobody would object if it were less, bear in mind that there are still lots of land-based hotels that charge $9.95 a day. That puts the cost at sea more in perspective. Yes it is more, but they are maintaining more specialized equipment, and the bandwidth is limited. IMHO I am less offended by the O price than a hotel that charges half that much.

You don't have to do it, of course, and I am sure that they don't want everyone to use the service or it will bog down, but it is an option.

Although $19.95 sounds like a lot, and nobody would object if it were less, bear in mind that there are still lots of land-based hotels that charge $9.95 a day. That puts the cost at sea more in perspective. Yes it is more, but they are maintaining more specialized equipment, and the bandwidth is limited. IMHO I am less offended by the O price than a hotel that charges half that much.

I was just thinking of my $14.99 per day charge recently at the W in NYC... I completely feel this new Oceania package price is beyond fair considering the context. I really hope this stays in place until we cruise next August!

Once again Oceania has come through with options, that we as passengers have the ability to select or not. Similar to the beverage packages and the excursion packages you now have the ability to pick and choose what appeals to you to make "your cruise" all inclusive. I for one am very pleased. I have always said I didn't mine paying for something if I felt like I was getting what I had paid for and in the past the per minute package rates were horrendous when you spent more time downloading and closing than actually using the internet. Thank you Oceania and I hope that this continues!

We have in the past bought the 200 min package but always seem to have min left at the end of the cruise

I am on vacation so only go online to pay bills or do a quick check of emails to make sure all is well at home

make sure my house is still there & if not I can stay away longer ;)

It is good to have so many choices now

lyn

With this new "affordable and unlimited" rate, I wonder what will happen to the bandwith/speed with potentially that many more people signed up and being online longer? Not to mention finding an open computer in the computer room (if you don't have your own).

Don't know the answer to this - just wondering if it will make any difference.

With this new "affordable and unlimited" rate, I wonder what will happen to the bandwith/speed with potentially that many more people signed up and being online longer? Not to mention finding an open computer in the computer room (if you don't have your own).

Don't know the answer to this - just wondering if it will make any difference.

You mean there are still people out there who do not have Ipads? Astounding!:cool:

You mean there are still people out there who do not have Ipads? Astounding!:cool:

Ok, those with iPads won't need the common computers.

But what will happen to the bandwith/speed if everyone will be watching the Olympics live in their cabins on their iPads? :D

PS Posted from my iPad :)

Archived