Veendam room list with a/c, plumbing, etc problems

sppunk

Given the myriad of troubles regarding air conditioning and plumbing aboard Veendam, it makes sense to keep a running log of rooms plagued with these issues.

This thread is for posting specific rooms with a/c, plumbing or significant noise issues. It helps everyone of we share trouble spots.

To get us started:

383, 396, 398 and 403 all had A/C issues with the first 2 being the worst. 383 had numerous plumbing issues.

#359 on the Lower Promenade Deck...absolutely NO ISSUES! :D

And, throughout our cruise, I heard of ZERO issues from any other pax.

#503 One small Raisinette found on floor. Fortunately the a/c was ice cold which prevented melting of said treat.

Thanks for this thread. I am already booked in 548 after a good review of it, but I also was thinking of posting this type of ongoing thread for future searchers.

Getting it in one location will help others. Yes, it's fluid (no pun intended :)) and cabin issues will become resolved, but it's a good heads up now.

We were in cabin 330 on the 7/8 Veendam sailing.The air conditioning was not very cold Temperature was 78 as measured by the front desk personnal and it never got any cooler. A fan was delivered to us the first night and we never shut it off. We loved the location of this cabin and we had the best room stewards that we have ever had on any prior cruise.

Given the myriad of troubles regarding air conditioning and plumbing aboard Veendam, it makes sense to keep a running log of rooms plagued with these issues.

This thread is for posting specific rooms with a/c, plumbing or significant noise issues. It helps everyone of we share trouble spots.

To get us started:

If you are taking this thread seriously, you do need to include the date of the sailing besides just the cabin number. Irresponsible to do otherwise. Critically missing is also an objective definition of "air conditioning and plumbing issues". Otherwise this amounts to meaningless slander.

Toilet malfunction, air conditioning failures......... these are very fluid as to which cabins are out of order..... it changes day to day, week to week.

A list is worthless as one week one cabin may have a malfunctioning toilet (some idiot flushed something they should not have and blocked the line) but it is fixed and the next week, it could be another cabin.

If it was a set cabin that had problems, they would be fixed!

Not exactly the same but maybe this week, your heating systems fails but your neighbors is fine. You have yours fixed but next week some other neighbor's septic systems backs up.

If you are taking this thread seriously, you do need to include the date of the sailing besides just the cabin number. Irresponsible to do otherwise. Critically missing is also an objective definition of "air conditioning and plumbing issues". Otherwise this amounts to meaningless slander.

Slander? Isn't that just slightly over the top? We're talking about a toilet for heavens sake.

Toilet malfunction, air conditioning failures......... these are very fluid as to which cabins are out of order..... it changes day to day, week to week.

A list is worthless as one week one cabin may have a malfunctioning toilet (some idiot flushed something they should not have and blocked the line) but it is fixed and the next week, it could be another cabin.

If it was a set cabin that had problems, they would be fixed!

Not exactly the same but maybe this week, your heating systems fails but your neighbors is fine. You have yours fixed but next week some other neighbor's septic systems backs up.

You beat me to it with this post. Problems come and go. Some (not all, but some) AC issues are the result of an inconsiderate passenger propping a balcony door open. But maybe the next cruise, this doesn't happen and the AC in that cabin is fine.

Slander? Isn't that just slightly over the top? We're talking about a toilet for heavens sake.

You are correct. The proper term is libelous. Written utterances. Actually, we are not just talking about a "toilet". That is the problem. We are talking about a wide range of subjective perceptions without definition with the intent to cause harm to the reputation of a cruise line. I only ask for more precision as to date and nature of problem, which is factual. That is fine. So no, the accusation of libel is not "over the top". It is dead right on.

I canNOT believe how many of you refuse to believe that there really could be LEGITIMATE issues with the plumbing, A/C and elevators on the Veendam or any other HAL ship! My husband suggested that some of you may be HAL employees.... I wonder.

I'm done with discussing this, but really people.... it just might be possible that we horrible people are speaking the truth!

For the OP:

#383 -- Steady room temp (except for one night, where it was somewhat cooler) the temp in our room was recorded BY THE FRONT DESK STAFF to be 77.5 degrees. For all of those HAL know-it-alls, that room does NOT have a door to the verandah... AND we always kept all lights off, curtains closed (including the one separating the sleeping area from the entrance way) in an effort to TRY to keep the room as cool as possible. After being told they working on the problem for days when we requested a fan (which i didn't know was an option) we were told there were no fans left. :rolleyes: Not a critical issue, but still an issue, on two separate days our toilet stopped flushing. As two responsible adults :D we DID NOT flush anything that should not have been flushed. On the second occasion, it took MOST of the day for the plumber to show up.

#396 -- Steady room temp for the ENTIRE trip of 78 degrees. This passenger had a medical condition that required her medicine be kept refrigerated... since the rooms do not have refrigerators, the cabin stewards tried to keep it on ice, but the medicine went bad at some point because it wasn't kept cool enough. This person did have a fan, but the room temp never changed.

#398 & #403 -- Same A/C issues as #383.

For the record, these cabins are all located in the Aft section of the Deck 6. Other friends on Deck 5 were ordering extra blankets because their room was too cool. And I guess the elderly couple I ran into twice (a judge and his wife) were lying too when they said how COLD their room was.... and another elderly couple who had so much difficulty getting the water in their tub to come out of the shower head (because you literally had to slam the knob that accomplished this) they had to have the cabin steward come in each time they wanted to take a shower... guess they were lying too. OH! almost forgot about the group of women who returned to their Deck 6 cabin from a day on shore to their smoke alarm going off. When someone from the front desk arrived he said it was from the humidity in the room.

I'm done with Cruise Critic.... I'll find another place to get reliable, TRUE information if I need it in the future.

Speaking only for myself.....

I never said on this forum at any time that I did not think there were mechanical problems with some cabins on Veendam.

My message was that making a list of which cabins have the problem is fruitless. The cabin might have a malfunctioning toilet on the June 1 cruise but on June 8, it worked fine. It was fixed. However, the cabin five doors down the hall might now not have proper functioning air conditioning.

We've been on enough ships enough times to know that things are fixed and then break again or break elsewhere or something else breaks.

As to your malfunctioning toilet, of course, I believe you. I have no reason to doubt your toilet did not work properly. I am also sure you did not flush something that would cause a jam but the toilets share lines with other cabins. Someone in another cabin, on your line, flushed something and that clogged toilets down the line. You said it was out two days and that is HORRID and I'd be miserable but it was fixed. And that is my point. Your toilet was fixed so to list that on a thread such as this makes it inaccurate. Unless you know it clogs every single cruise, then it's 'old news' once it has been fixed as it was for you. (I hope this convoluted paragraph is able to be understood. :eek:)

Saying that sort of message is quite different than saying that I don't believe there are things that malfunction on Veendam.

I do not work for HAL, never have and it is HIGHLY unlikely I ever will. :)

Most regular cc-ers are very aware that there are problems from time to time, and some ships seem to have never-ending issues which they can't seem to fix. Only a few of the posters here jump up and down go nuts if you "slander" a HAL ship, while at the same time throwing libellous accusations at the person who reported the problem in the first place:D:rolleyes:

I'm not sure of the value of a thread such as this, as most problems get fixed and are not a permanent issue. So such a report could be outdated very quickly. Just reporting in on your experience in general, as has been done in the past, is probably the best thing.

This is akin to a list of homes on your street that have had plumbing problems, AC problems, etc…No point. If one cabin has an issue at sometime during a cruise, why would I believe it would continue to if complaints were made.

I've cruised twice on the Veendam and never had an issue. Yes, a toilet backed up on a cruise on our hall, but it was due to the GUEST putting stuff down the toilet that shouldn't have!

AC? Never had an issue….nor did I hear of any on our cruises.

Holy cow - you're a tough crowd!! :eek:

I will be sailing HAL for the first time in a couple of weeks - on the Veendam. From MY perspective, it would have been interesting to see if the same cabins seem to be habitual in terms of problems with the toilet or a/c. I realize "ship happens", and know how to discerne that type of information from chronic issues.

To label a thread "stupid"? Wow...

<SNIP> From MY perspective' date=' it would have been interesting to see if the same cabins seem to be habitual in terms of problems with the toilet or a/c. I realize "ship happens", and know how to discerne that type of information from chronic issues.[/size']

As a large facility Maintenance Manager I agree that tracking "chronic" issues would be useful but a database format would be much better at doing this than scattered posts and you would also have to establish baseline criteria for inclusion.

As a large facility Maintenance Manager I agree that tracking "chronic" issues would be useful but a database format would be much better at doing this than scattered posts and you would also have to establish baseline criteria for inclusion.

I was planning on creating a Google doc I'd keep updated (public view) that weed out the hit-and-run problems that happen on every ship, in every hotel, in the world. With that doc we'd be able to see if a trend occurred. With a forum without a wiki like CC this is the most viable option. We know Veendam has a history f these problems see,inky moreso that several ships, tracking the areas within is IMO very worthwhile endeavor.

However due to the sheer unreasonable rudeness of some in this thread I'll save my time for other endeavors. We are excited to sail her in a few weeks.

I will be sailing HAL for the first time in a couple of weeks - on the Veendam. From MY perspective' date=' it would have been interesting to see if the same cabins seem to be habitual in terms of problems with the toilet or a/c. I realize "ship happens", and know how to discerne that type of information from chronic issues.[/size']

To label a thread "stupid"? Wow...

Yes, I agree with this poster that for future cruisers looking for HABITUAL cabin mechanical issues being forewarned could save some angst.

Isn't that why we all started on CC....to discover the good, the bad and the ugly about particular ships and ports? That's why I started researching here on CC when we saved for a year for our Alaska cruise and landtour. We all value our $$$ as hard-earned and want to, if at all possible, get the most bang for our buck.

Yes, cabin issues will eventually be resolved, but if there was evidence, over a length of time, that those same cabins STAYED as cabins with issues, wouldn't all the nay sayers want to know about it?

I was planning on creating a Google doc I'd keep updated (public view) that weed out the hit-and-run problems that happen on every ship, in every hotel, in the world. With that doc we'd be able to see if a trend occurred. With a forum without a wiki like CC this is the most viable option. We know Veendam has a history f these problems see,inky moreso that several ships, tracking the areas within is IMO very worthwhile endeavor.

However due to the sheer unreasonable rudeness of some in this thread I'll save my time for other endeavors. We are excited to sail her in a few weeks.

Thanks for your intended efforts! I appreciate your attempt. We are sailing the Veendam on the 12th. We are SO excited! A co-worker will be on her this Sunday. And it looks like you follow us. This next week it looks like the weather will be great, I hope our weeks follow with good weather as well!

Bon Voyage to us all :)

For those who seem to think that it's always the same cabins that get complained about - do the research. Read the treads about problems, note the cabin #s, dates, problems stated, resolution. Check the creviews also.

Compile the data and write a report. See if tere really are "bad cabins"

I don't blame you! Thanks for making an attempt. As for the reaction of some of the posters on this thread, I'll just say it again - wow. :(

Archived