Veendam room list with a/c, plumbing, etc problems

sppunk

Have a wonderful trip! :D
Thanks!

Hope you have a great cruise with no mechanical problems of any sort. Think positive. :)

Thinking positive is my mantra for everything, no worries there! Thanks. ;)

Bon Voyage to us all :)

Ditto! Have a safe, fun!, trip.

For those who seem to think that it's always the same cabins that get complained about - do the research. Read the treads about problems, note the cabin #s, dates, problems stated, resolution. Check the creviews also.

Compile the data and write a report. See if tere really are "bad cabins"

Yes, that's EXACTLY what the OP was attempting to do, compile research. :)

I was never on this ship so can not say much about a specific cabin. However looks like the OP was trying to help their fellow travelers have a better trip, thanks. As for some comments, what I expect here. If this sort of list is needed it doesn't say much for a ship or the people who own it.

For those who seem to think that it's always the same cabins that get complained about - do the research. Read the treads about problems, note the cabin #s, dates, problems stated, resolution. Check the creviews also.

Compile the data and write a report. See if tere really are "bad cabins"

the op was willing to compile the data to save others reading numerous threads. Was willing to do the work:) There are bad cabins on any ship - whether it be location, whatever. For those who were interested - there is a thread where people do register their 'bad' cabins. Might be helpful to some:)

OP - I wish you a wonderful cruise:D

the op was willing to compile the data to save others reading numerous threads. Was willing to do the work:) There are bad cabins on any ship - whether it be location, whatever. For those who were interested - there is a thread where people do register their 'bad' cabins. Might be helpful to some:)

OP - I wish you a wonderful cruise:D

No, the OP was trying to survey the rest of us rather than spend the time to do a proper search. Not all that odd as many, many people come here expecting "regulars" t do their searching for them.

What's really pathetic, though, is that when people pointed out the problems with this method ("My A/C didn't work on Tues on my cruise in Aug 2005 in cabin XXXX," isn't very useful for someone cruising next month) they were jumped on - not the person who proposed this silly excersize.

And not only silly, but possibly damaging. Anyone choosing a cabin based on years' old opinions as to the quality of the A/C is just asking for trouble - their expectations (as we've noted before) may be set too high because they're sure they got one of the "good" cabins.

No, the OP was trying to survey the rest of us rather than spend the time to do a proper search. Not all that odd as many, many people come here expecting "regulars" t do their searching for them.

What's really pathetic, though, is that when people pointed out the problems with this method ("My A/C didn't work on Tues on my cruise in Aug 2005 in cabin XXXX," isn't very useful for someone cruising next month) they were jumped on - not the person who proposed this silly excersize.

And not only silly, but possibly damaging. Anyone choosing a cabin based on years' old opinions as to the quality of the A/C is just asking for trouble - their expectations (as we've noted before) may be set too high because they're sure they got one of the "good" cabins.

Originally Posted by kazu

the op was willing to compile the data to save others reading numerous threads. Was willing to do the work There are bad cabins on any ship - whether it be location, whatever. For those who were interested - there is a thread where people do register their 'bad' cabins. Might be helpful to some

OP - I wish you a wonderful cruise

kazu- You and I "read" the same thing/intention of the OP. It was very nice of OP to be willing to go out of her way. Nothing wrong with asking "us" to help others.

How the intent was misconstrued is confusing to me. :confused:

kazu- You and I "read" the same thing/intention of the OP. It was very nice of OP to be willing to go out of her way. Nothing wrong with asking "us" to help others.

How the intent was misconstrued is confusing to me. :confused:

You know what they say about good ingtentions. Fortunately, a majority of the responders noted that this was not going to produce a useful list of anything. And when we tried to point this out, we were dumped on.

While there's absolutlely nothing wrong with asking for help, there's also nothing wrong with helping by pointing out the flaws in the request.

Once again, I'll ask, what go conditions on a cruise in late 2007 have to do with current conditions on that ship??? (I mention this because someone, on a different thread, did post their opinion based on a Dec 2007 cruise!)

You know what they say about good ingtentions. Fortunately, a majority of the responders noted that this was not going to produce a useful list of anything. And when we tried to point this out, we were dumped on.

While there's absolutlely nothing wrong with asking for help, there's also nothing wrong with helping by pointing out the flaws in the request.

Once again, I'll ask, what go conditions on a cruise in late 2007 have to do with current conditions on that ship??? (I mention this because someone, on a different thread, did post their opinion based on a Dec 2007 cruise!)

My Mom always said it's not what we say but HOW we say it.

Theoretically if we could get a number of cruises to report recent issues regarding AC/Plumbing it might be possible to identify if there a problem areas of the ship due to repeated reports. The problem is the relatively small number of cruisers that frequent these boards and are also on this itinerary would make for a small number of data points. Further complicated by those who post that "They heard" there were problems in "many cabins" but no details or substantiation. I guess the intent would be to provide data on any "Chronic problem cabins" so that they could be avoided. My feeling as a professional in this area, is that these issues are far more random and that collecting this data would both indicate that and render it effectively useless.

The systems on the ship have aged out and ongoing failures are to be expected. The crux is how rapidly and effectively Hals Engineering Teams can respond/repair. Short of a MAJOR systems overhaul/replacement requiring millions of dollars and perhaps months to complete (with the resultant loss of revenue). there will continue to be ongoing failures (hopefully of a short duration)

Theoretically if we could get a number of cruises to report recent issues regarding AC/Plumbing it might be possible to identify if there a problem areas of the ship due to repeated reports. The problem is the relatively small number of cruisers that frequent these boards and are also on this itinerary would make for a small number of data points. Further complicated by those who post that "They heard" there were problems in "many cabins" but no details or substantiation. I guess the intent would be to provide data on any "Chronic problem cabins" so that they could be avoided. My feeling as a professional in this area, is that these issues are far more random and that collecting this data would both indicate that and render it effectively useless.

Hear, hear!!

Let's hope the "Politeness Police" accept your words better than mine...

• 1 month later...
I was planning on creating a Google doc I'd keep updated (public view) that weed out the hit-and-run problems that happen on every ship, in every hotel, in the world. With that doc we'd be able to see if a trend occurred. With a forum without a wiki like CC this is the most viable option. We know Veendam has a history f these problems see,inky moreso that several ships, tracking the areas within is IMO very worthwhile endeavor.

They do this on the Celebrity board (thread was started regarding their new Solstice class ships), and people post about their experience in various cabins. They also note such things as whether the bed is near the bath or balcony as they rotate on those Celebrity ships. Also whether the balcony has sun or shade. It is a very popular and helpful thread.

I would bet we would find out that the issues are primarily in the same cabins or areas on the ship.

I think this is a needed thread. I know I signed up for the Voyage of the Vikings in 2013. For all the problems with the ship, I've decided to cancel my trip. I think the final straw was when I read the unfriendliness of the officers on the ship It was pointed out that the HM and the Captain were particularly unfriendly. It was stated on that thread that the crew was very friendly though. Between the plumbing and air conditioning didn't bother me enough, but the unfriendly attitude of the officers was the final straw in deciding to cancel.

I know on the 2012 World Voyage the bridge officer's had done a tremendous job with the tendering on Easter Island. I know I told Captain Mercer, and he said tell the officers. I did, and there response was how sorry they were for the passengers inconvenance. The job they did was tremendous.

I still maintain making a list is futile.

Unless there are a handful of cabins that every single cruise have the same issue, most of the 'troubled' cabins will vary by cruise. One cruise the toilet doesn't work but they fix it and it is fine for the next cruise. But another cabin has trouble the following cruise and the cycle continues.

Perhaps there are a few that repeatedly are problems, I think it could give unnecessary stress and worry to folks about their booked cabin when, indeed, that cabin is fine. Maybe it had troubles on two cruises out of 40 but it was fixed.

Also a false sense of relief and the cruiser doesn't even consider whether they don't want to make that final payment. If they read once, here on such a list, that their cabin is fine, they rely on that and whoa.... what an unpleasant surprise to board and find no air conditioning and/or toilet. Had they not read the one post saying they would have no problems, they may have had a serious conversation about whether they wanted to 'risk' it.

I think mostly this is unknowable information.

I also know for sure there are those who disagree with me and, of course, that is fine.

JMO

I have been following various roll calls for the Veendam as well as this and appreciate the offer to try to compile a list of cabins that are known to have experienced problems. I am not inclined to opt out of my cruise solely because of issues such as temperature in some of the areas of the ship. I also agree with some posters that problems can arise from time to time anywhere (even at your home). I tend to be very easy going and although we are spending lots of hard earned money on a cruise there has not been anything posted that would spoil my vacation. I am also not stressed by rudeness on the part of some officers as this behavior may be unprofessional but I normally do not interact with them while on the ship.

If it's true that HAL reads CC threads, then let them see that the issues are being taken seriously and tracked.

It's not libel if it's true. It's just unflattering.

Anyone who doesn't want to take part can read other threads. It's futile to tell other adults what they can and can't do.

I think mostly this is unknowable information.

With such a small amount of pax taking advantage of CC it is nearly impossible to get an actual assessment. If you look at numbers alone I doubt that more than 3 active cc members will stay in the same cabin on the Veendam over a 1 year period. The only way that number is swayed is due to a recommendation of a room number made on CC. So to get true numbers on indvidual cabins may be nearly impossible.

However the one thing we can assess is the trend that appears to be occurring. Once again this is due to the small amount of PAX that are active CC members. I highly doubt that only CC members are having "bad luck" with their cabins choices. This is what leads me to believe that the condition of the Veendam is not exactly up to par at the moment.

I will be on her in two months. I'll listen to what my fellow PAX are complaining about if in fact they are complaining at all. In South America I do not see the AC issue being much of a problem.

My daughter and I were in cabin 062 in early July. We had no problems with the a/c or plumbing. This is an inside cabin that apparently is one of the newer cabins that was added in the much discussed retrofit of the ship. We booked the cruise a week before sailing and this was an inside guarantee, which ended up being a great upgrade since we expected a much less desirable location on the ship. Needless to say, we were very happy with the cabin.

I should also add that we had open seating and the only time we had any long wait time in the dining room was the last night, and we took the first available table, which was a table for eight. Service was slow. I suppose we should have waited for a table for two, which we had no issues with on other nights. It certainly wasn't something to complain about though.

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Veendam. I'm sorry that not all cabins are as problem free as ours was. I know the ship gets a lot of criticism, but we enjoyed our cruise.

If it's true that HAL reads CC threads, then let them see that the issues are being taken seriously and tracked.

It's not libel if it's true. It's just unflattering.

Anyone who doesn't want to take part can read other threads. It's futile to tell other adults what they can and can't do.

Agree!

I think this is a needed thread. I know I signed up for the Voyage of the Vikings in 2013. For all the problems with the ship, I've decided to cancel my trip. I think the final straw was when I read the unfriendliness of the officers on the ship It was pointed out that the HM and the Captain were particularly unfriendly. It was stated on that thread that the crew was very friendly though. Between the plumbing and air conditioning didn't bother me enough, but the unfriendly attitude of the officers was the final straw in deciding to cancel.

I know on the 2012 World Voyage the bridge officer's had done a tremendous job with the tendering on Easter Island. I know I told Captain Mercer, and he said tell the officers. I did, and there response was how sorry they were for the passengers inconvenance. The job they did was tremendous.

I am the OP and while yes, all of the officers were aloof, I had no particular comment or interaction with the Captain other than having my pic taken with him before dinner, LOL :) In particular, it was the condescending attitude of Douglas Hernandez that I had issue with.

Archived