Eating after embarkation

This is our first cruise and have a bit of a query.

Reading other posts the rooms aren't normally ready when you board and it sounds like most people head straight for WJ. If 3000 people do this it doesn't sound like my ideal destination. Where would people recommend we go for a light lunch away from the initial crowds.

We are sailing Southampton to Southampton so this is the only starting point for the cruise.

Reading other posts the rooms aren't normally ready when you board and it sounds like most people head straight for WJ. If 3000 people do this it doesn't sound like my ideal destination. Where would people recommend we go for a light lunch away from the initial crowds.

We are sailing Southampton to Southampton so this is the only starting point for the cruise.

Not to worry, not all 3000 people will not be checking in at the same time.

Enjoy your cruise which I hope is the start to many more.

On Adventure, your only other choice might be Cafe Promenade where they serve small sandwiches, pizza, cookies, desserts, and fruit. I'm not sure if Johnny Rockets is open for lunch on embarkation day.

We do the same....although, if you board early enough, you'll miss most of the crowds. Boarding a ship is NOT like boarding an airplane! It's more like checking into a hotel...everyone arrives at different times!

Not to worry, there are alot of tables in the WindJammer, and numerous serving areas. We usually get our silverware and drinks place it on a table and then walk around and get our food.

So much to chose from. Also when it gets crowded the service staff makes announcements that if you are done to please leave so others can enjoy their lunch.

Safe travels

Sue and crew

We do the same....although, if you board early enough, you'll miss most of the crowds. Boarding a ship is NOT like boarding an airplane! It's more like checking into a hotel...everyone arrives at different times!

Well stated, and the WJ does seat alot of people, but can become crowded. Normally people flow through pretty quickly so with a small amount of patience you can find a table.

There certainly are times during the first day when the WindJammer buffet can be CRAZY BUSY AND CHAOTIC and is a place to avoid. Just depends on boarding times and when you're there.

We visit Windjammer at times (most often lunch) and eat dinner there once or twice on a 7 night cruise. But when it's swarmed with people and it's hard to even find a table it is not a pleasant place to be, let alone eat at. Another example of when it's too busy for us - port days in the morning. Seems like everyone is there in a shorter time window so they can eat and get off the ship. Can't remember the last time we ate breakfast there on a port day. Good time to order room service, relax and avoid the crowds:D

so with a small amount of patience you can find a table.

When "a small amount of patience" is required to find a table, that means the place is busy and crowded, the food stations are packed, and I'd rather be somewhere else...........:D

We avoid the WJ on that first day...way to crowded and chaotic for us. The Promenade cafe should have pizza, salads and sandwiches. That would be my recommendation!

I heartily second this suggestion. We always eat our first day lunch in the Promenade Cafe.

We were onboard Voyager about 12:30 p.m. Probably could have found a table in Windjammer (it was very busy) but instead found a table outside near the pools by the windows, hubby and I took turns getting our plates from WJ and enjoyed our lunch outside on the deck. The Promenade Cafe would be a good choice too. Didn't discover their nice sandwiches, fruit, cookies, pastries, etc. (all at no charge) until mid week. Eat there or take it outside as well. It's also a great place to find a variety of tea, cocoa, coffee packets to make your own drinks.

Unless you just WANT to board early, get in the pool, etc., waiting a little later to board (1:00-2:00 pm) sure avoids the crowds and lines.

Don't be the first group on the ship. Wait a couple of hours after they open up the ship. By then they should have the staterooms open and crowds in WJ will be smaller.

DH and I are always part of the first group to enter the ship. No we are not diamond, nor do we book a suite. We arrive at the port about 10:30 am. We have never found the Windjammer so crowded at this time as to not find a seat. After finding a table, one of us will go to find some food, while the other watches the table. Usually, during this time, a crew member will stop buy asking us for our beverage order. When the first person comes back with their food, the other person goes for theirs. It only takes a couple of minuets to get something to eat.

DH and I are always part of the first group to enter the ship. No we are not diamond, nor do we book a suite. We arrive at the port about 10:30 am. We have never found the Windjammer so crowded at this time as to not find a seat. After finding a table, one of us will go to find some food, while the other watches the table. Usually, during this time, a crew member will stop buy asking us for our beverage order. When the first person comes back with their food, the other person goes for theirs. It only takes a couple of minuets to get something to eat.

Couldn't agree with you more.

This is the first day of my holiday and I will board as early as I can and I've no boarding privileges other than previous cruiser. I've never found WJ that busy at that time. By the time I've had a bite to eat the ship is still relatively empty for uncrowded pics to be taken in public places and to do an orientation.

If you board right away it is not bad. The crowds are going to be spread over 3-4 hours on that boarding day. We normally get on early so that we can wonder the ship for a while before everyone gets on. It is nice to get some pictures of the ship with nobody else around

Simple solution and one that always works. Board the ship as early as possible. In Florida, ships typically leave around 4 or 5 and they always advertise boarding time at 1pm which is total BS. We always arrive at the pier around 10:30am. We end up boarding the ship around 11:15 or so and we're amongst the first to hit the buffet right around noon. After you're done eating you can sit back and enjoy a drink and watch the crowds line up. Don't forget that embarkation day is the first day of your cruise so get there early and enjoy!

I surprised at how well the Adventure staff handled the turnover in the WJ especially on day of embarkation. I'm one of those folks who would rather go to the Cafe Promenade than fight with the hoards of people in the WJ, but I was very impressed with how the Adventure staff cleared tables and helped folks in general.

The WJ opens IIRC @ 11 AM - 3:30 PM the first day

Rooms are not OPEN until 1 PM the Frist 2 hours are the Most active IIRC

On Adventure, your only other choice might be Cafe Promenade where they serve small sandwiches, pizza, cookies, desserts, and fruit. I'm not sure if Johnny Rockets is open for lunch on embarkation day.

Jade, which is adjacent to the Windjammer, is also open. You can walk through the Windjammer to get to Jade. It has an "Oriental" theme, but the food is pretty good.

The WJ opens IIRC @ 11 AM - 3:30 PM the first day

Rooms are not OPEN until 1 PM the Frist 2 hours are the Most active IIRC

July 5th emabarkation on EOS the WJ was not open until around 12.

We got there about 11:30 and a crowd started forming so we left.

Winded up in the Promenade Cafe. Much better option IMHO.

Archived