Tip for dealing with Princess customer service

improvman

When we booked our Alaska cruise on the Sea Princess, early seating was full so we chose anytime and were put on the wait list for early. Our friends who had early had requested we sit with them, and vice versa, but it had no effect.

After reading stories on CC about very long waits and being unable to make reservations for AD, I called Princess twice to attempt to switch to early dining, explaining I had kids and didn't want to get in line at 4:45. It was no use. Plus, when I explained I read on CC about hour log waits, they told me this was not true. I told them I refused to believe everyone on CC was wrong. I got nowhere.

My friends who we had requested to sit with called up without my knowledge with a list of complaints, including the fact that we were supposed to sit together. Customer service assured this would be fixed.

When we arrived to the dock, I was pleasantly shocked to learn I not only had early seating, but were at the same table with our friends.

I hate to say this, and ymmv, but if you can't make progress with customer service by being nice, they might be more receptive to you if you get angry and complain.

I don't agree with this line of thinking. As someone who has worked in customer service for MANY years, nothing is more annoying then the "customer is always right" attitude. Being rude or throwing a fit to get your way, is not exactly sound advice. It just makes you look a little self centered. It's sad that so many business' cave to this type of customer.

I don't agree with this line of thinking. As someone who has worked in customer service for MANY years, nothing is more annoying then the "customer is always right" attitude. Being rude or throwing a fit to get your way, is not exactly sound advice. It just makes you look a little self centered. It's sad that so many business' cave to this type of customer.

I agree & never liked the 'squeaky wheels' seeking something they aren't entitled to receive. I prefer to treat others how I'd like to be treated instead.

add me to the list of those who are frustrated by the complainers getting the perks.

i couldn't be like that anyway, i would feel bad ranting on someone who wasn't at fault. probably because i have to work with demanding customers too.

When we booked our Alaska cruise on the Sea Princess, early seating was full so we chose anytime and were put on the wait list for early. Our friends who had early had requested we sit with them, and vice versa, but it had no effect.

After reading stories on CC about very long waits and being unable to make reservations for AD, I called Princess twice to attempt to switch to early dining, explaining I had kids and didn't want to get in line at 4:45. It was no use. Plus, when I explained I read on CC about hour log waits, they told me this was not true. I told them I refused to believe everyone on CC was wrong. I got nowhere.

My friends who we had requested to sit with called up without my knowledge with a list of complaints, including the fact that we were supposed to sit together. Customer service assured this would be fixed.

When we arrived to the dock, I was pleasantly shocked to learn I not only had early seating, but were at the same table with our friends.

I hate to say this, and ymmv, but if you can't make progress with customer service by being nice, they might be more receptive to you if you get angry and complain.

And what "list of complaints" did they have before they even sailed??! :eek: I can understand wanting to sit together, but that could have been easily fixed once you boarded by seeing the maitre'd on embarkation day. More than likely you would have been able to arrange to be seated together...

Yes, as someone who has worked in customer service for a large retailer, I do find it extraordinary how many people go from calm to raving lunatic in order to get their way... Thankfully, many businesses are realizing that the customer is not always right... especially when they are wrong! :rolleyes:

And that's exactly why you got nowhere. When you are trying to resolve an important issue, contradiciting the person you are speaking with by bringing up third party information will always put them on the defensive.

Put yourself in the other person's shoes: you are having a conversation with someone going out of their way to prove you wrong. Inevitably they come out with "My cousin's girlfriend's neighbor's milkman read on the internet that..."! At this point the next thing out of my mouth would be an eight-letter word that won't get by CC's filters--and the rep you were speaking with was probably biting thier tongue to keep in said word as well.

(Yeah, I'm exaggerating to make my point--and I also abhor the "squeaky wheel gets oiled first" policy just as much as you do. But where in this continuum would you place someone who calls back twice after being confirmed on the appropriate waiting list to harp on their individual circumstances?)

I don't agree with your or your friend's line of thinking. I believe in Karma and the way you treat others is the way that you will be treated. What a way to start a vacation, by being nasty to customer service. Makes me wonder how they and you will be when you actually get onboard and something doesn't go your way.

The fact is that some customer service agents are just plain incompetent or have little or no interest in helping you or anyone else. When you get one of those, just get off the phone and call back.

This technique has worked for me with the cruise lines, the air lines, ADT and our telephone carrier. Why is it, BTW, that the telehpone carriers have the worst telephone customer service? A great mystery to me.

Converesly, I think that PayPal and Ebay have the best customer service I have ever encountered. Go figure.

Overall, Princess agents really do a great job, but some are more willing to go that extra mile than others. I guess that is true everywhere.

I always try to be as nice as I can possibly be when dealing with agents, and it usually works wonders. Only when I have exhausted every other avenue to I resort to being, ah..........firm.

I remember once being at the airport right before Easter with my DH and three children, trying to fly from Seattle to Orlando during irregular operations on an oversold flight. I refused to leave the gate agent's desk and asked them every few minutes (OK, maybe seconds) about the progress of our seats on the oversold plane. The agent finally said, "What do I have to do to get you to go away and leave me alone?" I just pointed at the boarding gate and smiled. He almost immediately found us five seats on the plane and I got on the plane and never bothered him for another second. :)

I don't agree with your or your friend's line of thinking. I believe in Karma and the way you treat others is the way that you will be treated. What a way to start a vacation, by being nasty to customer service. Makes me wonder how they and you will be when you actually get onboard and something doesn't go your way.

I didn't agree with my friend either, but that's what it took to get customer service to take our request seriously.

I also didn't appreciate customer service telling me all CC reviews are wrong.

It would appear that your friends request that the bookings be linked for dining was honored. That's all it needed, and TAs do this sort of thing frequently.

Complaining does not usually help. Presenting a problem that can be fixed does, and Princess responded admirably.

I'm seeing too many very selfish people here who want special treatment and probably complained about the cost of the cruise or air fare

If you mean me, robgvic, what would you have done?

What exactly is very selfish about wanting to get on a plane on which I had paid for 5 seats, and why would you assume that I had complained about the price? The only selfishness I can see in the situation was on the part of the airline who oversold the plane in the first place, clearly hoping that someone would cancel out at the last minute and forfeit their fare.

I travel enough to know that, when you are traveling with five people during Spring Break, especially going into Orlando, you either get on the plane on which you are scheduled or end up being split up and accommodated, individually, possibly spread out over the next few days. I had absolutely no intention of separating myself from my children or my husband, or taking the chance of missing my niece's wedding in Florida.

Just as there are people anxious to take a move over on ships, there are people who are anxious to take a compensated "bump" off a plane--in that case I wasn't one of them and needed to make that abundantly clear.

Sometimes the circumstances require us to take a stand.

How true. A word to the wise for the OP. When onboard I would leave that attitude on shore. Trust me when I say you want to be extra nice to anyone who handles your food.

I didn't agree with my friend either, but that's what it took to get customer service to take our request seriously.

The reviews aren't wrong you are. For every review that claims that there are long waits to be seated in AT dining there is another one that claims that they walked right in.

I agree & never liked the 'squeaky wheels' seeking something they aren't entitled to receive. I prefer to treat others how I'd like to be treated instead.

I work in retail and there is someone who always wants something for nothing. If you speak to me like a human and not an animal I will give you the world. But if you act like one of those real housewives of whatever city beatches you get nothing.

I work in retail and there is someone who always wants something for nothing. If you speak to me like a human and not an animal I will give you the world. But if you act like one of those real housewives of whatever city beatches you get nothing.

I've fortunately never watched a housewife show, but I feel the same way as you. I'm a part time retail employee and I try to be as nice as I can and find a way to be helpful, but stop in my tracks if a person is overly rude to me. I'll still be pleasant but will not budge from company policy (we are allowed flexibility) to the person who speaks to me roughly.

Chances are greater that there was a shift in reservations, the OP's request was in the computer and it was changed not by attitude but merely opportunity on the part of the dining room computer.

Treat people, especially customer service people, the way you want to be treated. It's true you may get what you want at the moment, but you may have gotten more by being nice. You can still be firm, but attempt to get the person on your side rather than wanting to smack you over the head.

If you feel the need to speak with Customer Service anywhere, I suggest being clear, truthful, and polite.

I am, like others above, so tired of the complainers wanting to make a stink to get something, put themselves ahead, and believing that bullying is the way to go.

First of all, let me jump on the bandwagon and say that it is human nature to react positively to kindness and negatively to stress. Whenever I am at an aiport (which seems to be where many stressful situations occur) and I am in a line of people who need and are demanding satisfaction, if the person in front of me has been a real pain in the butt and has practically brought the airline employee to tears, I always reverse course and come out of the box as the nicest, kindest person in the world who will try to make their day better, even if I am lying through my grin. I have never had a problem, an it makes both me and the worker feel a whole lot better.

But I digress. On to my real point. As noted in the segment that I quoted, how do you know that your pleasant surprise was the direct result of your friend behaving like a horse's rear-end instead of your request? Maybe the customer service rep told you "no", but made a note of your request, and then followed up with it. Maybe that person threw in a: "I can't make any promises, but I will make a note of your request", while you were too busy quoting chapter and verse from CC to hear her. We love this site. But to others, it is seen as a chat board where people use their very first post to tell the world exactly what is wrong with a cruise line that they sailed on once. The industry deals with it as best it can, but by no means do businesses love this sort of stuff. They merely endure it.

If the customer service rep can't help, ask to talk to a manager and go from there.

I do agree with folks who, are unhappy with airlines overbooking flights, to me that is like holding paying passengers hostage. It makes me not want to fly any more than I have to, found myself in that position both directions on a recent flight to Rome. It was obvious the airline does this on a regular basis. Next year when I fly to Rome, I am flying a different airline.

I don't agree with your or your friend's line of thinking. I believe in Karma and the way you treat others is the way that you will be treated. What a way to start a vacation, by being nasty to customer service. Makes me wonder how they and you will be when you actually get onboard and something doesn't go your way.[/QUOte

Well said, about karma. What goes around comes around.

Often, customer service reps go the extra mile for the nice people, without anyone actually realizing it.

Here's to good karma :)

According to your OP, customer service didn't tell you that all reviews were wrong, you actually said that you refused to believe all the reviewers were. You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by waiting until you got on bioard and talked to the maitre d. There are things that will go wrong. It is up to you and your friend to decide how to solve them. By being mean and nasty, your problems won't be solved. The onboard staff have dealt with that before and are not impressed by hissy fits, threats, and mistreatment. the only thing that you be guaranteed of by displaying such behavior is to be the topic of conversation when the staff gets together t the end of the day.

Just an FYI, when I was not happy with my TD on Diamond, I switched to AD. In the two weeks I was walking in whenever I wanted, and in all 4 of the small venues, I never waited more than a few seconds. Not once. Until I DO run into such legendary problems, I will do AD.

I have only a few sailings, but I have yet to run into the proverbial unwilling customer servent at Princess' offices. Perhaps I have just been lucky, but I will assume the best till shown otherwise.

I have found that if you smile and secretly slide them a cool, crisp one dollar bill you can get just about whatever you want on the ship.

Just kidding and attempting to get some smiles on a Friday!

Remember, cruising is all about having fun!

-Glenn

Archived