Early boarding fee on Carnival - Princess far behind?

kywildcatfanone

I was waiting on things like this to start... I searched but didn't see it posted on the Princess forum. Anyone heard of this happening on Princess?

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/08/07/carnival-cruise-lines-to-offer-early-boarding-for-price/?intcmp=features

They are calling it an excursion: http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/101031

Mike

I have not heard of this being done as yet, but on the planes/cruises, etc. I "don't" have to be first in line, and I don't plan on paying for it. :rolleyes: I can be PATIENT if necessary.

On Princess cabins are available upon embarkation but apparently not on Carnival. The other benefits they pay to receive are ones that Princess Elite members receive for free & some are also included for Platinum members. I don't know if Carnival offers benefits similar to the Princess Elite/Platinum ones but obviously they're willing to sell those benefits for a fee.

People pay extra to get on a plane before everyone else. Thank goodness they don't charge for being last, I couldn't afford it.:)

At least with going aboard a cruise ship first allows one to get a running start at the buffet, sign up for greetings with the Captain, get to be one who signs up for that coveted last slot on an excursion, plan to visit all the special dining venues, AND reserve six of the best lounges by the pool.

Being first on the airplane gets one nothing except a little more time to sit in a plane, whereas being the first on a boat gives one a whole host opportunities.

Many amuesment parks now have special services that, for a fee, allow one to jump ahead of the line for the best attractions. They are so popular that at times the 'special' people are the majority.

Oh this is going to sell, big time! People are hungering to have status, and they're willing to pay for it.

Carnival has many first timers who may be willing to pay for such a service. Princess has more repeat passengers who, unless they want Sanctuary reservations or CT, UTS reservations, may not be as receptive to this service.

Given the popularity of the Sanctuary on some cruises, this would be useful to get a seat there if you absolutely had to do that.

Just like the airlines, they are trying to offset costs.

You're not seeing it my sig line, because I just booked it on Sunday and there's no space for it.

What I'm referring to is our latest booking; Carnival Imagination for Sept. 3rd. It's only four nights, but nobody even mentioned or offered the option of an additional fee which is listed above in the OP article. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that we have more than ten Carnival cruises, even though the last one was way back in 2006.

I don't see anything wrong with a company wanting to make more money and offering its customers something that they think people will purchase. I pay $10 extra on Southwest for priority boarding and have found it to be a positive thing for me and DH. I'm in no hurry to board the ship because I will be on board for at least 7-14 days. It's an option that not everyone will go for, that's how the free market works.

I was waiting on things like this to start... I searched but didn't see it posted on the Princess forum. Anyone heard of this happening on Princess?

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/08/07/carnival-cruise-lines-to-offer-early-boarding-for-price/?intcmp=features

They are calling it an excursion: http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/101031

Mike

If I were cruising Carnival I would do it. I've only cruised Carnival twice so I don't have any perks. Not sure if it will come to Princess but I don't see anything wrong with offering something like this for those that might be interested. From what I'm reading it is capacity controlled anyway.

You're not seeing it my sig line, because I just booked it on Sunday and there's no space for it.

What I'm referring to is our latest booking; Carnival Imagination for Sept. 3rd. It's only four nights, but nobody even mentioned or offered the option of an additional fee which is listed above in the OP article. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that we have more than ten Carnival cruises, even though the last one was way back in 2006.

Interesting. Since it appears to be a fairly new offering I would how they will roll this out.

Carnival is obviously taking a page out of the airline playbook. So now you can pay to be first like on some airlines. What is next - a luggage fee of say $25 per luggage. One cutthroat UK airline once threatened to charge to use the restroom. I don't know if they actually did it. When does the nickel and diming stop.

I doubt this will ever fly on Princess since there are so many people who have early boarding privileges already it would be impossible to sell.

Didn't Princess at one time have a plan to sell box seats for the shows for something like $25 per head which included a glass of wine. I never saw that implemented.

Well, folks going on a cruise can invite someone to take the Bon Voyage Experience and get on the ship immediately after it is cleared for boarding. And that way, you don't have to pay for the privilege of boarding first... your guest will... :p

Certainly the fact that Princess has the cabins ready when they start allowing boarding is a major difference from some other cruise lines, like Carnival.

If I was to take a Carnival cruise, which is unlikely, I would be willing to pay extra to have my cabin available early.(or on time, depending on your point of view) Another major line that does not have cabins ready is RCCL. I would guess that they will be the next ones to follow the Carnival program.

With Princess it would be a difficult sell.

When people stop complaining every time the fares are $5 more than they think and compulsively look for price drops.

Carnival is obviously taking a page out of the airline playbook. So now you can pay to be first like on some airlines. What is next - a luggage fee of say $25 per luggage. One cutthroat UK airline once threatened to charge to use the restroom. I don't know if they actually did it. When does the nickel and diming stop.

Well, folks going on a cruise can invite someone to take the Bon Voyage Experience and get on the ship immediately after it is cleared for boarding. And that way, you don't have to pay for the privilege of boarding first... your guest will... :p

True! :)

The way I see it, Carnival is charging for something Princess cruisers have had for many, many years: the ability to go directly to your cabin upon embarkation. It makes no sense that Princess would start charging for something they've offered to passengers for free for ages. The only thing close is staggered boarding.

If everyone pays extra to get on the ship first I'll still pass them while they're waiting in the special line. No matter what, there can only be one first. Everyone else will still be waiting in line and with this program that line will be longer than ever.

If everyone pays extra to get on the ship first I'll still pass them while they're waiting in the special line. No matter what, there can only be one first. Everyone else will still be waiting in line and with this program that line will be longer than ever.

The info in the link posted by the OP indicates "limited" ... so I would guess that Carnival will determine whether 50 or 100 or whatever number of cabins will be the maximum to be accommodated on this "excursion". And stop selling it at that point. If it seems really popular, maybe they'll also maintain a waitlist in case there are cancellations. Who knows?

On a different note ... I wonder how many would pay Carnival for one cabin for this privilege, then expect that their children booked in one or two or more other cabins be permitted the same perks because, after all, "we're family and need to board together."

I certainly hope Princess does not adopt something similar.

Those of us who are Platinum and Elite already have EARNED (or prepaid by having cruised at least 5 times or at least 50 days) priority boarding.

Those of us who are Elite have EARNED (or shall we say prepaid via multiple completed cruises totalling at least 150 days) Priority tendering.

Archived