Room Service in a Deluxe Veranda Suite

Pettifogger

I think it can vary by ship/cruise. They have fewer stewards and they may not always be able to 'tie one up' to serve soup, salad, entree, dessert, coffee course by course. Sometimes they will but not always count on it.

for what yinz pay for the suites, there should be someone there to chew the food for you :D

Nahhhhh.....

I want someone to gain the weight for me. :D

Maybe someone to do my exercise for me on one of those horridly humid days. :)

On my last cruise on Amsterdam, we ordered in suite dinner, expecting it to be delivered course by course. They brought the entire dinner all at the same time. Not the best way to dine, IMO. Its just another suite benefit that seems to have gone by the wayside. :(

On my last cruise on Amsterdam, we ordered in suite dinner, expecting it to be delivered course by course. They brought the entire dinner all at the same time. Not the best way to dine, IMO. Its just another suite benefit that seems to have gone by the wayside. :(

If you don't mind me asking Tim - did you arrange it with the concierge or call room service? Just curious - I know if you call room service it comes that way - concierge should be able to confirm if they will do it or not.

Only done it a couple of times honestly - Unless there's room, I don't want them 'hanging around'. I prefer everything brought at the same time.

when we had the PH and our friends - we had course by course dining and it was absolutely wonderful (but there is space there for the waiter to 'disappear' and the pantry door to go in and out).

The 6 of us had a great time - table setting was wonderful - bgut in a regular suite - it's pretty hard to do IMO:)

Course by course dining in the PH is wonderful, but an entirely different thing with the butler and his pantry. We had had dinner in our dlx suite many times, but we would never want it course by course. No way do I want a steward sitting there waiting. We are capable of bringing each course out to the table on the verandah ourselves at our leisure.

If you don't mind me asking Tim - did you arrange it with the concierge or call room service? Just curious - I know if you call room service it comes that way - concierge should be able to confirm if they will do it or not.

Only done it a couple of times honestly - Unless there's room, I don't want them 'hanging around'. I prefer everything brought at the same time.

when we had the PH and our friends - we had course by course dining and it was absolutely wonderful (but there is space there for the waiter to 'disappear' and the pantry door to go in and out).

The 6 of us had a great time - table setting was wonderful - bgut in a regular suite - it's pretty hard to do IMO:)

My question also, Jaguarstyper.........

Did you request course by course service? If you don't ask for it, they don't know that is what you'd like. We would NOT like a steward coming and going and being underfoot if we are dining en suite. If you asked for it and did not receive it, that is a different matter but still not shocking, to me.

Course by course dining in the PH is wonderful, but an entirely different thing with the butler and his pantry. We had had dinner in our dlx suite many times, but we would never want it course by course. No way do I want a steward sitting there waiting. We are capable of bringing each course out to the table on the verandah ourselves at our leisure.

I agree.

We almost never have dinner en suite but were we to, I would specifically ask the whole meal be delivered at once. Even when in the "PS", we do not want course by course service if only the two of us. Were we entertaining, then Yes. We would request it.

We MIGHT ask for dessert separately particularly if one of us was ordering something with ice cream. :)

Maybe someone to do my exercise for me on one of those horridly humid days. :)

You got that right Sails. ditto, ditto

I'd pay money for that service. :D:D

So would millions of us.

Sail, you will be an instant billionaire if only you can figure out how to make this one work.

I can see it now -- a cruise line advertising that you can sleep in, get toned and lose weight while your concierge or butler or steward goes to the gym and does your exercise for you as a perk of booking a deluxe veranda suite. ;)

So would millions of us.

Sail, you will be an instant billionaire if only you can figure out how to make this one work.

I can see it now -- a cruise line advertising that you can sleep in, get toned and lose weight while your concierge or butler or steward goes to the gym and does your exercise for you as a perk of booking a deluxe veranda suite. ;)

What's life without a fantasy or two? :D

Our solution to the "entire dinner sitting on one's bed" is this. We often pick up starters in the Lido. Then we order main course and dessert, unless the dessert involves ice cream, in which case we order that separately. Not only do we get a relatively reasonable amount of food at any one time, but we are able to get rid of dirty dishes. I order myself rather than attempt to make the Neptune Concierge understand my thought processes.

And room service has been great with this! but if you want food off the dinner menu, you must order within evening dining orders, and I understand this type of room service is not limited to suites.

We do tip extra for room service, but not extravagantly: $2 for breakfast/$5 for dinner.

Our solution to the "entire dinner sitting on one's bed" is this. We often pick up starters in the Lido. Then we order main course and dessert, unless the dessert involves ice cream, in which case we order that separately. Not only do we get a relatively reasonable amount of food at any one time, but we are able to get rid of dirty dishes. I order myself rather than attempt to make the Neptune Concierge understand my thought processes.

And room service has been great with this! but if you want food off the dinner menu, you must order within evening dining orders, and I understand this type of room service is not limited to suites.

We do tip extra for room service, but not extravagantly: $2 for breakfast/$5 for dinner.

absolutely - this service is available to every cabin on HAL - a real plus IMO:)

On the 2007 world cruise we invited good friends to dinner in our suite. We arranged with the concierge (who was great, by the way) for dinner to be served on the balcony. We enjoyed our cocktails then there was a knock on the door, two waiters rolled in carts with all three courses under metal plate covers, and then promptly left. I spent the next hour and a half lifting plate covers and shifting plates. It was hilarious, and I'm really glad our guests were good friends, because I wasn't very gracious about my service. We still laugh about it.

We do use room service occasionally for breakfast, or if one of us is sick he/she stays in the cabin and orders in for dinner. I think Holland's room service is really good, but I would never invite guests again.

Leslie

We have done a verandah dinner service as well as a dinner service in a friend's suite.

At our Verandah dinner service, the Ship's Culinary Officer came to check on how satisfied we were. It was an impressive meal with all of the linens and glassware used in the Pinnacle Grill while watching the sun set in the Caribbean.

We were told that during dinner service, there is a limited number of Room Service personnel on duty but they reserve a few for in-room dinner service.

When we asked our server if he preferred delivering Room Service or serving in-room dining. He said that the tips from in-room dining were much higher than delivering lots of heavy trays. His personal attention to every detail definitely earned such a tip.

If you are in a suite, I would strongly urge you to give it a try, especially around sunset.

To answer the questions, yes it was arranged with the concierge in the Neptune lounge. But, I did not specifically request it to be delivered course by course because I did not realize at the time that I had to. I've done this on previous cruises and it was delivered in courses without specifically requesting that. I just assumed it would be done that way. Assumption...my bad. Next time, I'll know to ask specifically for course by course. Live and learn! :D

We have done a verandah dinner service as well as a dinner service in a friend's suite.

At our Verandah dinner service, the Ship's Culinary Officer came to check on how satisfied we were. It was an impressive meal with all of the linens and glassware used in the Pinnacle Grill while watching the sun set in the Caribbean.

We were told that during dinner service, there is a limited number of Room Service personnel on duty but they reserve a few for in-room dinner service.

When we asked our server if he preferred delivering Room Service or serving in-room dining. He said that the tips from in-room dining were much higher than delivering lots of heavy trays. His personal attention to every detail definitely earned such a tip.

If you are in a suite, I would strongly urge you to give it a try, especially around sunset.

While it is nice the ship's Culinary Officer (I assume you mean Culinary Operations Manager) was interested and checked on you, those sort of interruptions are not always welcome. Of course, he had the best of intentions but if we have chosen to have dinner in our cabin, it is highly likely we want privacy. We well may not be dressed appropriate for an Officer to visit, we may be lounging and to have a knock on our door might not be just what I want. :D

While it is nice the ship's Culinary Officer (I assume you mean Culinary Operations Manager) was interested and checked on you, those sort of interruptions are not always welcome. Of course, he had the best of intentions but if we have chosen to have dinner in our cabin, it is highly likely we want privacy. We well may not be dressed appropriate for an Officer to visit, we may be lounging and to have a knock on our door might not be just what I want. :D

Actually the title is not what my hubby Crew News, nor yourself have titled the position.

In actuality the In Room Dining Supervisor (Used to be called Room Service) for the ship is the one who not only supervises the setting up of the Table and supervises all aspects of this service.

If you remember, or need refreshment of the memory, I documented this on the Oosterdam in April 2011, with photos: http://abqreunion2008.com/Oosterdam/Deck-6.html

While many people may not enjoy such a setting, many many others do and find it a treat to be served in such an elegant manner.

Hubby and I were able to enjoy this unique service and truly appreciated not only Amun, our Steward but also Yvonne, the Supervisors concern(s) for our pleasure.

Try it once, you might be surprised at how much you enjoy it!!

Since we are trusting people and believe that 99.99% of our fellow passengers and 100% of the crew are safe, we leave our door in the latched open position so that when we are on the verandah and cannot hear a knock at the door, they can come in and check on us at their leisure and or bring the next course without a problem.

We prefer course by course, after all who wants all at once to the point where your get to your desert and Ice Cream is now a watery milkshake:) .

Joanie

Culinary Operations Manager is the current title for the position that used to be known as F & B....... Food & Beverage Manager. :) The position used to include food and beverages but there is a separate Beverage Manager.

The COM is one step beneath the Hotel Manager.

Culinary Operations Manager is the current title for the position that used to be known as F & B....... Food & Beverage Manager. :) The position used to include food and beverages but there is a separate Beverage Manager.

The COM is one step beneath the Hotel Manager.

I have no idea what the "COM" is (forget I said that, I just put Culinary Operations Manager together with COM...) what I do know is that HAL is attempting to get away from the term "Room Service" and is now calling it "IN ROOM DINING" Therefore, The In Room Dining Room Supervisor/Manager is in charge of all In Room Dining, whether it is one tray or amyriad of trays to a single room.

Culinary Manager is now the Executive Chef, and Beverage Manager is Beverage manger yes. But neither of them are the In Room Dining Supervisor and should not have their titles made light of.

A rose by any other name is but a rose. An In Room Dining Room Supervisor/Manager is still an In Room Dining Supervisor/Manager, no matter what the old titles used to be:)

Joanie

I do not make light of anyone's title or position. The whole team must do their best work or the whole experience suffers.

We have most assuredly met a number of "In Room Dining Managers". Their job level is a lower level than the COM but an important position for sure.

They would not have that job if they were not well trained, experienced and able.

Archived