Hygiene

ItalianGuest

Hi!

I'm just back from Crown Princess and first of all I would like to thank you all because thanks to the elucidations that I had on this forum my cruise went very smooth!:)

Everything was perfect and, as Italian, I have to say that the food was excellent! Maybe the entertainment staff could be better.

The only thing I can complain about is the attention to hygiene ( only in respect of passengers ): there were so few disinfectant dispensers and no one imposing the use.

I've been recently on Rccl and Ncl and the there were dispensers everywhere, also at the entrance of the vessel, and the crew paid a lot of attention.

Is this the custom for Princess or is It just about this ship?

Regards,

ItalianGuest

PS

Sorry for my English !:o

I have seen both...

When I was on the Caribbeean Princess a few years ago, the hand-sanitizer dispensers were everywhere.

Last December on the Ruby, not so much...

I am really glad that you enjoyed your cruise!:)

I rarely used the instant hygeine as I am old school...soap, water, and friction is best. I would wash my hands before we left for meals in my cabin, so there was no need to use hand sanitizer station. I used the hand sanitizers ony if I hadn't done that - which was rare.

I carried on excursions hand wipes which are effective against noro, had to search to find them as not all are.

Just off the Ruby,

Bernadette

I have seen both...

When I was on the Caribbeean Princess a few years ago, the hand-sanitizer dispensers were everywhere.

Last December on the Ruby, not so much...

I hope they will increase their attention equally across the entire fleet...

I am really glad that you enjoyed your cruise!:)

Thank you!:)

Ciao ItalianGuest

I rarely used the instant hygeine as I am old school...soap, water, and friction is best. I would wash my hands before we left for meals in my cabin, so there was no need to use hand sanitizer station. I used the hand sanitizers ony if I hadn't done that - which was rare.

I carried on excursions hand wipes which are effective against noro, had to search to find them as not all are.

Just off the Ruby,

Bernadette

You're right, generally the "old school" is the best but I think that on a Ship ( with norovirus always in ambush ) the hygiene is never enough: you can wash your hands in stateroom but than use the handrail, press buttons on the lift, open a door, etc... prior to reach the buffet area, for instance.

And if you usually touch these thing with clean hands, someone else don't.

The same when you returns from an excursion: someone touches everything, even things not recommended in some countries, like stray animals, and then back on board without wiping in any way.

However, perhaps, we must also develop some antibody and confide in them! ;)

Ciao ItalianGuest

Hi!

I'm just back from Crown Princess and first of all I would like to thank you all because thanks to the elucidations that I had on this forum my cruise went very smooth!:)

Everything was perfect and, as Italian, I have to say that the food was excellent! Maybe the entertainment staff could be better.

The only thing I can complain about is the attention to hygiene ( only in respect of passengers ): there were so few disinfectant dispensers and no one imposing the use.

I've been recently on Rccl and Ncl and the there were dispensers everywhere, also at the entrance of the vessel, and the crew paid a lot of attention.

Is this the custom for Princess or is It just about this ship?

Regards,

ItalianGuest

PS

Sorry for my English !:o

I'm sorry to hear the Crown staff is still being lax in the use of antiseptic gels like Purel. We complained of that very thing after sailing on her in May crossing to Rome. We had lots of sick passengers the entire cruise and were on red alert. My next three cruises are on the Crown and I would love for someone on that ship to take this problem more seriously. Who is the hotel manager? He should be rethinking his cleaning practices. And passengers should be washing their hands thoroughly at every opportunity. :(

I'm sorry to hear the Crown staff is still being lax in the use of antiseptic gels like Purel. We complained of that very thing after sailing on her in May crossing to Rome. We had lots of sick passengers the entire cruise and were on red alert. My next three cruises are on the Crown and I would love for someone on that ship to take this problem more seriously. Who is the hotel manager? He should be rethinking his cleaning practices. And passengers should be washing their hands thoroughly at every opportunity. :(

So sorry! I really hope they will increase their attention to this aspect as soon as possible.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the HD, sorry.

Enjoy your next cruises!

Ciao ItalianGuest

avoided handrails sucessfully the entire trip

...let others press the elevator buttons....

or knuckle it....always used towels to open bathroom doors..loved Ruby had the trash bins right by the exits...also so many doors opened automatically...it was great!

I did pet a stray kitty in Positano, I carry hand wipes effective against many things including noro- used it as soon as I was done THEN washed again super well at the next bathroom stop 5 minutes later.

We also ate rarely in the buffet.....ate in the dining room and IC which avoided a lot of possible cross contamination from other passengers.

If I took treats to my room, I covered them.

I am a nurse so I am VERY aware of what I touch and expose myself to, as I need to avoid exposing myself to bloodborne pathogens/body fluids on a daily basis.

I usually bring a partially full soap dispenser bottle for my cabin to avoid using bar soap by the sink which sits wets, dark, and moist for hours (perfect breeding ground for bacteria).

to wash my hands.

I did notice on Ruby, the amount of soap given with the automatic dispenser was too little. I would wait a bit and get a second squirt so I could properly lather.

Everyone needs to be hypervigilant to protect themselves from others....cause it is when you let your guard down, you can be easily exposed to the wrong person....

Bernadette

Bernadette

A good hand washing just before entering the dining room can be achieved at the adjacent washroom. I have always wondered why the doors to the washrooms do not open outwardly thereby using (touching) the handle upon entry but allowing the use of your shoulder or back to exit the room after washing. Fellow passengers have laughed when I take hold of the door handle with a piece of paper towel but he who laughs last....

On the Star in May, they were enforcing hand sanitizer at the buffet, and at the line for the Captain's Circle party. That was it. Which, is fine with me. We weren't in code red, though I think the buffet did go into code red conditions as they were passing out salt and pepper packets, but the dining room was normal.

Personally, I hate hand sanitizer. I don't like the way it feels on my hands. I feel that after using it, I need to go wash my hands to get it off. If forced to use it, I will, but I would really prefer to not do so.

Hi All

Hand gels stations are there to make us feel better they do very little to reduce illness on a cruise ship or a hotel for that matter in fact tests were run a few years ago that showed passengers were using the stations more and more and not washing their hands the resuls illness went up,

yours Shogun

Just off the Ruby,

Bernadette

Bernadette - Which wipes are effective against noro? Thanks.

Hi All

Hand gels stations are there to make us feel better they do very little to reduce illness on a cruise ship or a hotel for that matter in fact tests were run a few years ago that showed passengers were using the stations more and more and not washing their hands the resuls illness went up,

yours Shogun

From the US CDC: " Overall, studies suggest that proper hand washing with soap and running water for at least 20 seconds is the most effective way to reduce norovirus contamination on the hands, whereas hand sanitizers might serve as an effective adjunct in between proper handwashings but should not be considered a substitute for soap and water handwashing (106--111)."

There is very little definitive data on the effect of alcohol based gels for reducing the bioburden of noro virus from hands. I think people accept the marketing over the science. Its based on an intuitive conclusion that alcohol kills germs so an alcohol gel will be effective. There is a lot of supposition in that. Bratdet is spot on with her comments #9 . To give yourself the best chance of avoiding norovirus wash, wash, wash your hands frequently, avoid touching public surfaces and try to not have anyone sneeze near you (yea, right). If you want to understand the issue, see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr6003a1.htm.

Bernadette - Which wipes are effective against noro? Thanks.

The Wet Ones brand wipes are effective against noro. The active ingredient is benzethonium chloride which is effective against noro. The gold bond ultimate hand sanitizer with moisturizer also contains the same active ingredient and so also deals with noro. As others have said though, there is nothing better than washing well with soap and water.

As we all know people do not wash their hands enough. Forcing people to use the gels regardless how effective they may or may not be will probably make them want to wash their hands just to get the stuff off. If that works why not?

Lather up and rub your hands while you sing (to yourself, please) the Happy Birthday song or the ABC song or some other ditty... rinse with the hottest water that you can stand without injuring your skin. Grab a paper towel, dry hands, and then shut of the faucet with the paper towel. Use the outside portion to open the bathroom door...

Lather- Rinse- Repeat...

It is amazing how many people don't know how to wash their hands. This is the one job that you do not want to give a "wink and a promise" to. If you want to reduce your chances of getting ill, do this frequently and thoroughly.

Also, don't touch your face or hair...:)

I know, I know...

I am just amazed at how many people I see who are touching their face, then touching the handrail, then wiping their nose, then opening a door...

Uck!:eek:

The last thing we do before eating is wash up in our room & try to remember not to touch anything before eating. Forget the anti bacterial stuff - I haven't used it in years & never suffered for it.

As we all know people do not wash their hands enough. Forcing people to use the gels regardless how effective they may or may not be will probably make them want to wash their hands just to get the stuff off. If that works why not?

Forcing? Really? I don't want anyone forcing me to put slimy goo that irritates my skin to the point of bleeding knuckles on my hands. I'll take care of my own hygiene thank you very much. Don't assume that if I eschew the hand sanitizer station that I am unclean. And I'll give you the same benefit of the doubt. No one should be forced to put a foreign substance of unknown origin and unknown composition on their skin any more than anyone should be required to ingest something that they did not select themselves. These sanitizers of which we speak are not exactly inert and without side effects. They shouldn'tbe forced on anyone.

Hi All

To show folks how bad we are at washing our hands, and to teach hospital staff, they had a stuff sprayed on their hands that could only be seen under ultra violet light they were then told to wash their hands,

the results was shocking , its on you tube some place.

yours Shogun

I too was surprised at the scarceness of hand sanitizers on Princess. Whether or not they are effective on Noro is not the issue. The alcohol is effective on ordinary bacteria which can cause illness. Of course, there is no substitute for hand washing but on the way to the dining room there are many ways to get your hands dirty. As an example, you have to go down a flight of stairs or take the elevator to get to the Canaletto dining room on the Golden Princess. There are no restrooms outside the dining room and you would have to go up one deck to find one, thereby having to touch an elevator button or hold a handrail, exposing yourself to germs. On our cruises on the Golden we found no sanitizer outside the the Canaletto dining room. When I mentioned this to the matre'd he said they are not necessary if you wash your hands.

Go figure!

Hand washing is essential because hand sanitizers cannot penetrate a physical layer of dirt on skin. But with that said, I agree that I feel more comfortable if I can use hand sanitizer right before I get food and start eating. I'll probably bring some Wet Ones hand wipes, especially since my bf got noro on the last day of our cruise last year, so this year he'll probably be paranoid about it.

Archived