Does Princess stay on EST when cruising the Carribbean in the winter?

GoVolsTB

We are cruising on the Grand Princess in December. Our ship's itinerary states we arrive in St. Maarten at 10AM. We want to book a private excursion that begins at 11AM (AST).

It has always been my experience that ships stay on the same time as port of departure when cruising the Carribbean (we leave from Ft. Lauderdale). Does anyone know FOR SURE what Princess's policy is? I have been given different answers by Princess (no surprise). If the ship is on EST, then we will arrive when the tour is leaving and that would be a problem as we have a cab drive of about 30 minutes to where the tour starts!

Appreciate any help!!!

Yes, you will set your clock ahead one hour. This was done on the first night at sea last December. However, when you arrive in St. Maarten, ship time will coincide with island time. If you dock on time, you will have one hour prior to commencing your tour. Have fun whatever you do. :rolleyes:

We are cruising on the Grand Princess in December. Our ship's itinerary states we arrive in St. Maarten at 10AM. We want to book a private excursion that begins at 11AM (AST).

It has always been my experience that ships stay on the same time as port of departure when cruising the Carribbean (we leave from Ft. Lauderdale). Does anyone know FOR SURE what Princess's policy is? I have been given different answers by Princess (no surprise). If the ship is on EST, then we will arrive when the tour is leaving and that would be a problem as we have a cab drive of about 30 minutes to where the tour starts!

Appreciate any help!!!

No matter where you are, caribbean or otherwise, Princess will always be on that specific port's clock. Your tour operator will know when to expect the ship's arrival.

No matter where you are, caribbean or otherwise, Princess will always be on that specific port's clock. Your tour operator will know when to expect the ship's arrival.
I agree. I've taken quite a few cruises and Princess has always adjusted the ship's clock to local time.

Once, we were sailing down the Amazon and our next port was Recife, Brazil. To get there, we sailed east into another time zone and back to the one we'd just been in. The ship's clock was adjusted even though we were at sea both days and not in port.

It makes no sense to me to keep the ship on one time when sailing to different time zones. Maybe the line thinks changing their watches or clocks is too difficult for their passengers but I can see where you could get very confused if the people on shore or tour operators don't know what time the ship's clock is.

No. Princess doesn't always change times to match local time. We've been on two cruises where the ship did not. One of the ports was Costa Maya and the other was Limon, Costa Rica. And our local tour guide in Costa Rica did not realize it and showed up late. Fortunately another tour guide was able to call him for us on his cellphone.

No. Princess doesn't always change times to match local time. We've been on two cruises where the ship did not. One of the ports was Costa Maya and the other was Limon, Costa Rica. And our local tour guide in Costa Rica did not realize it and showed up late. Fortunately another tour guide was able to call him for us on his cellphone.

In addition to Princess Cays, we've had ship time not equal local time in Puerto Vallarta (while on Princess). Not that that matters anymore.

Archived