OK, so I'm remembering the RCI of old...

-5 course dinners

5 course dinners didn't disappear. Just because they list the various menu items into fewer groupings it is still possible to have what you call a 5 course dinner: appetizer, soup, salad, entrée, and dessert. Really nothing has changed in that regard.

Considering how much food was wasted at the midnight buffets, their elimination probably made a lot of sense and also helped them to keep cruise fares more reasonable. It is still possible to eat at almost any hour of the day or night. I think that most people realize that real safety concerns led to the elimination of table side flambé dishes.

Ships are much more accessible to cruise passengers with mobility issues and entertainment, in general, has improved dramatically.

The staff members we encounter are as good and as friendly as any we encountered years ago.

We all get nostalgic for "the good old days" from time to time, but sometimes our rose-colored glasses cause us to see the past in a less than totally accurate light.

In many ways:"plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" - the more things change,the more they remain the same".

So far, there is really nothing about the "good old days" that I would have liked at all. Especially with my mobility issues. I imagine 25 years ago, someone bound to a wheelchair would have been very limited on those older ships if they were even allowed to cruise at all.........were there even "accessible" cabins back then? My first cruise was on a ship that was built in 1986 on a 45,000 GRT "small" ship and Im pretty sure they had to add accessible cabins at a later date. There were quiet a few areas that were not accessible to me.

I like the food now so the "fine dining" part interests me not in the least. I have the choice to pay extra in speciatly dining if i want that. I care nothing about flaming desserts. I love the MDR but would not have liked HAVING to eat there all three meals at a scheduled time and if you were late you were out of luck.

The ships are much bigger, nicer and offer a lot more to do today. Im sure some of you miss those days dearly but I see nothing that interests me about it at all.

All of that of course is JMO :)

Probably a case of what you don't know you don't miss.

People who did experience cruises of the past are likely to miss the atmosphere. things were a bit slower..pax were nicer to each other...people were nicer to each other in general.

While most people in ports are still friendly, we can recall being treated as honored guests, in all ports.

Dining was an experience. There weren't any pax wearing t-shirts, jeans or baseball caps. The food was much better...the kind of meals that you now pay more for , were part of the cruise fare. There was a sense of elegance.

I love being told that our find memories of cruise years past are basically figments of our imaginations.:rolleyes:

Probably. But to me, dining is an experience and I think the food is good. If I want great food I can pay a little extra and get it. I care not about what others wear and have yet to run into rude "pax" that I can recall anyway. If I wanted elegance I would go elsewhere besides a mass market cruiseline.

What cracks me up is people that belly ache about cruising and how it just isnt the same anymore but still continue to cruise on the same cruise line. lol

To each their own but if I thought it was as bad as what some put it out to be, I would find a another line on a much smaller ship that still provides what I so desired or I would spend my vacation dollars elsewhere.

To each their own. :)

To all those who think otherwise that this thread wasn't started in order to just reminisce, I feel sorry for you. I began this thread simply to wax nostalgic and nothing more. I am not complaining about what the cruise lines offer today I am just remembering all the things that got me hooked on cruising to begin with. So, for all those who have a fond memory of cruises past please feel free to share them with us.:)

To all those who think otherwise that this thread wasn't started in order to just reminisce, I feel sorry for you. I began this thread simply to wax nostalgic and nothing more. I am not complaining about what the cruise lines offer today I am just remembering all the things that got me hooked on cruising to begin with. So, for all those who have a fond memory of cruises past please feel free to share them with us.:)

Can you post some pictures of old cruises you were on on this or the thread that I started...or both? I'd love to see them. :)

On the Sky Princess in 1990 they're weren't any towel animals, but the steward took my night gown and arranged it into something different each evening, like a flower. I also remember we took this cruise shortly after my husband (naval officer) returned from a 6 month Med cruise. We didn't realize until we got to our room and found out we were on a 10 day cruise with beds that could not be moved together!:eek:

> Entertainment was a joke and prices were much higher

It depends. The total entertainment options that you have today is better, but it was always the case when I first started cruising that there would be at least one celebrity entertainer - Debbie Reynolds, Frank Gorshin, the original "Rain" Beatles tribute band. I could tell the celebrity entertainers had jumped the shark when, on one cruise, it was the guy who wrote the theme song to Happy Days .. at that point they stopped claiming it was a celebrity.

As for prices, perhaps I've always been a bargain hunter, but my records don't indicate we were paying a whole lot in more in the 90s than now.

I had to dig out my albums to remember all the old things....way back to 1981 on the Sun Viking.

Here's my list:

- streamers at sailaway

- Pirate Night - they gave you hats, eye patches, swords, sashes, etc

- Gala midnight buffet - that was HUGE

- Exercise classes out on deck - I don't think there were any 'machines' available - if it was too hot - they'd move it to one of the lounges

- Grand Masquerade (that's where I won my first EVER trophy :o ) - supplies were available if you needed some

- Themed dinners - every night. (That I miss the most - it was different every night and FUN!!! Usually a parade of some kind happened at dinner).

- "the Night Owl Club" - does anyone remember that - if you were up in the disco after 1:00pm you got a sticker and food :)

- the bar waiters would perform on some evening at a show - with bottles, filled glasses on their trays on their heads

- skeet shooting and golfing off the back of the ship

- chocolates on pillows

- cabin stewards would lay out PJ's - usually a different 'presentation' every night

- yellow 'ShipShape' t-shirts - that you earned with our ship shape dollars

- free wine and cheese tasting - you got your own cup tasting thing to hang around your neck

- a wide variety of pool games

- Viking Crown Cruise club - for repeat cruisers - not many at that time yet

- no balcony cabins

- no tv - just a couple of channels of music (we usually had that turned off)

- cabins mostly had 2 beds firmly anchored to each wall - not possible to move them

- "If I were not upon the seas" last night of the cruise - always funny - never got old

Those are most of them. The ships were so much smaller, more intimate and you seemed to get to know more people - as you ran into them a lot. Lots of great memories of those time in the 80's. And now we're back with our kids making memories of all the new and larger ships.

I wonder what our kids will look back at in 30 years and say... "remember when we sailed in the '10's' " ( is that what they'd call i?).

It's fun to reminisce. But it's also fun to enjoy the new ships with all the wonderful amenities.

Your post is so true about cruising in the 80's. Our first cruise was Song of America in 1987. It was definitely a "Wow" moment. We thoroughly enjoyed cruising "back then" and continue to enjoy it today. I got a good laugh out the statement about cabin stewards laying our your PJ's. Brought back memories of my nightgowns layed out on the bed looking like some of the towel animals of today. :)

I miss the asst waiter walking around with the salad dressing thingy...a revolving container that held several different dressings. They explained the dressings du jour, you decided and they applied your choice. I fondly remember a creamy orange/citrus dressing that was so delicious.

Dining in the MDR was very special every evening and the food quality was much higher than it is now. It is true...you now have to pay for speciality dining to receive the dining experience you used to receive nightly in the MDR. :(

Unfortuately, this is a result of "mega-ships;" MDR has turned into an upscale cafeteria serving 2000+ passengers in two hours, and the waitstaff are not as well-trained as in previous years. Most don't know the menu. I, too, miss the event of a full dinner.

And yes, when we factor in the price of the specialty dining nightly for a couple, suddenly the cabin prices don't seem quite as good.

We paid MORE to sail on the Monarch in 1993 than to sail on the Allure in 2011 (and that's not even adjusted for inflation).

In fact, I just figured it out using an inflation calculator. Our lowly inside cabin on deck 2 on the Monarch of the Seas in 1993 during low season cost $1608pp in 2012 dollars! :eek:

To the OP:

What would I bring back? The Empress of the Seas.....:D

Our first cruise was 1996 on the majesty of the Seas 7 nights on the Western route out of Miami. There was huge storm along the east coast that first week of January. It was my 37th birthday and my 15th anniversary all during that sailing. My wife had wanted to go to the warm Caribbean on vacation instead of the ski vacations in the mountains all over the world where I drug her, so finally I agreed. Our ship didn't sail til after midnight as people tried to get to Miami to board. We were delayed over twelve hours ourselves several days before as we did Key West Pre-cruise. We left Miami in the rain, and we were unable to stop in Labadee our first stop (when there was no reason to stop at Labadee). The next day we went to Ocho Rios, where I bought a watch and was offered sex and ganga... We did Duns River Falls and my wife stepped in a spot between rocks and hurt her ankle. We drank sugar water rum on the trip back to the ship which reduced her pain. The cabin's walls creaked and groaned each night. I had a hard time sleeping. We paid almost a $1000 per person for our inside cabin 16 years ago. The food was very good by today's standards. The first night the couple we travelled with and us had a table for 6. We were joined by a pair of nice ladies. The wife of my friend is a bit niave and she didn't realize they were an alternative life style couple, and started asking all sorts of questions about their husbands, children etc.... Needless to say they didn't show up the next night. Instead we met a couple from England whom we have become life time friends with. We have travelled with them off and on continously the last 16 years. My wife and the English husband traded comments about the language that separates us, and we greatly enjoyed dinner the rest of the cruise

The other couple with us, the men were planning on partaking in scuba since we had spent the previous months training and getting certified. Our first ocean dives were in the Cayman islands. Where a pair of 6 foot plus baracudas followed us continually which caused us to consume a lot of air. The next stop our last was Cozumel where the day started off 70 degrees and pleasant calm waters and ended with 8 foot swells and myself and several others chumming the waters while waiting for the dive boat to pick us up.

So, what I miss about old RCI, is the first time. The ships today are simply amazing. The food is not as good, but for a minimal fee you can upgrade to better food. I think the product today is not only better than in 96 but a factor or 2 or 3 times better especially on the value scale than then.

JMHO and YMMV

jc:cool:

People who did experience cruises of the past are likely to miss the atmosphere. things were a bit slower..pax were nicer to each other...people were nicer to each other in general.

While most people in ports are still friendly, we can recall being treated as honored guests, in all ports.

Dining was an experience. There weren't any pax wearing t-shirts, jeans or baseball caps. The food was much better...the kind of meals that you now pay more for , were part of the cruise fare. There was a sense of elegance.

I love being told that our find memories of cruise years past are basically figments of our imaginations.:rolleyes:

Hey BC, wazzup?

I am not at all sure about any of the things you mentioned actually existing... People nicer etc... that is just a societal change and really has nothing to do with cruising. That said the only time I truly felt like an honored guest was in 2001, when we arrived in Hawaii about 30 days after 911. The people of Hawaii were in real pain with the lock down on air travel and travel in general. Everywhere we went on that cruise on the Radiance we were treated as special. Great trip.

Yeah, it was more elegant then, we wore tuxedos and evening gowns on formal nights, but our waiter was a big goofus from South Africa, and it was not a serious dining experience.

jc

I enjoy looking back. I am not sure why some people think we are complaining or even comparing. We are just being sentimental! Why not it is fun. I love cruising yesterday and I love cruising today! Sure things in the past were not perfect and things today aren't but I still love a cruise. Of course times change, but I too, like you, like to look back and see what got me hooked to cruising. I remember when I started cruising back in the late 80's I was a young boy but remember so much. Back in 1988-1990 I remember the old Chandris line and even their "new" line Celebrity used to issue Berlitz mini port guides for Bermuda. I still have them. At 9 and 10 years old I memorized those books! lol Also I remember when cruising on Chandris (which is a cruise line that eventually created Celebrity Cruises) used to give you a boxed lunch to bring to the beaches in Bermuda.

First cruise, Nordic Prince, November 1973 - Midnight Buffet every night, not that we ever had room for it !!!!!

Our first cruise with RCI was in 1980 on Nordic Prince. It was a 14 day cruise and it was awesome. Still my favourite cruise. The midnight buffets were a favourite meeting place where we met the entertainers and band members. Afterwards we would go to the VCL and get our Late Owl stickers. Those were the days.

That's what I'm talking about...old school cruise pictures. Thank you and please post more!!! :)

You got me to look at an old cruise album' date=' long before the days of digital photography. Now I think I just might go back and scan the whole album and make it into an updated album like our more current cruises.

This one is for those who dream about the Cherries Jubilee, Chicken Alfredo, Caesar Salad etc being prepared tableside.

[img']http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/47672/2940751540032533819S500x500Q85.jpg[/img]

Two things I miss are the theme nights and the "old, real" VCL where you had to go outside to enter it. Island night always gave my wife and daughters a chance to buy a dress on the islands.

2454152080032533819S500x500Q85.jpg2554138730032533819S500x500Q85.jpg

2734737950032533819S500x500Q85.jpg

Great pictures and thank you for the back story. This is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate you sharing your cruising history with me.

That picture of the VCL is awesome and I would love to walk up outside stairs to get to it today. Please post whatever you can, at your convenience. Don't feel like I'm rushing you. I'm just very excited to see old pictures...darn history buff in me. :)

If anyone else wants to put their pictures and stories on, please do.

Archived