OK, so I'm remembering the RCI of old...

Dan also restored the "If I were not upon the sea" skit when we sailed with him on Navigator over New Year's Eve. Bringing back things from the earlier days of cruising,on occasion, is a nice touch and I hope that others will follow Dan's example once in a while.

I would love to see that skit again. No matter how many times we saw it, it was always funny.

You got me to look at an old cruise album, long before the days of digital photography. Now I think I just might go back and scan the whole album and make it into an updated album like our more current cruises.

This one is for those who dream about the Cherries Jubilee, Chicken Alfredo, Caesar Salad etc being prepared tableside.

2940751540032533819S500x500Q85.jpg

Two things I miss are the theme nights and the "old, real" VCL where you had to go outside to enter it. Island night always gave my wife and daughters a chance to buy a dress on the islands.

2454152080032533819S500x500Q85.jpg2554138730032533819S500x500Q85.jpg

2734737950032533819S500x500Q85.jpg

Hi Ray....and Stella. What wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing. We were on Song of American in '87. . Just might have to go dig out our old albums too! :)

Hi Sue, the Song of America was the last ship with a real VCL, it went all the way around the funnel. Can you believe that when it was built it was the largest ship built specifically for cruising.

You got me to look at an old cruise album, long before the days of digital photography. Now I think I just might go back and scan the whole album and make it into an updated album like our more current cruises.

This one is for those who dream about the Cherries Jubilee, Chicken Alfredo, Caesar Salad etc being prepared tableside.

2940751540032533819S500x500Q85.jpg

Two things I miss are the theme nights and the "old, real" VCL where you had to go outside to enter it. Island night always gave my wife and daughters a chance to buy a dress on the islands.

2454152080032533819S500x500Q85.jpg2554138730032533819S500x500Q85.jpg

2734737950032533819S500x500Q85.jpg

Your signature says California but, are you sure you're not from Texas cuz Texas is famous for women "Teasin' their hair up to Jesus" back in the 80s. That's greatness!:D

Oh man... I gotta go dig out my photos from the big red boat in the mid-90s (alas, no RCI for us in those days, just BRB or Carnival) ... I remember a flaming baked alaska parade... waiters in different theme outfits... those amazing nightly midnight buffets with photo op at 11:30... even the "low end" of cruising was mighty high...

No photos of this, but I remember when the room stewards actually had time to serve nearly as personal butlers... they would straighten our shoes, hang up our clothes if we had left them out, lay out our toiletries (toothbrushes, etc.) on a washcloth by the sink... really neaten and clean the room, not just empty trash, wipe down the sink and bring ice...

I miss having beach towels delivered to the room!!!! Bad enough when we had to trek up to the pool deck to get them ourselves before an early shore excursion... and WORST of all is the new policy of having to check them in and out on my room card. I resent being treated like an untrustworthy adolescent, or an outright thief. Sad to say, I must imagine that a LOT of guests must have behaved like one or the other (i.e., leaving towels behind on various islands or stuffing them in their suitcases) to make RCI take this very unpopular move.

I DON'T miss having a set breakfast and lunch seating... especially if you had early dining, your breakfast hour was REALLY early!! But I love the ongoing tradition of fixed dinner dining, tablemates, waiters... such a nice way to meet people on a cruise. My Time Dining does give flexibility, and I'm sure it works for many (and I'll probably try it when we do Oasis or Allure)... but I enjoy getting to know the same people over the course of a week, rather than just sitting with someone new every night... I have built some great relationships over the years with people I have met cruising, and it usually takes more than the course of just one meal to develop rapport.

I've also heard good things from longtime RCI cruisers about dueling pianos and more live entertainment options...

I also LOVED the Vitality and ShipShape programs (mentioned elsewhere), where you earned "Vitality chips" or "ShipShape dollars" during the course of the cruise for attending health lectures, free and paid gym classes, rock climbing, walk-a-mile, line dancing and other sports & CD activities... then at the end of the cruise, you could trade them in for actually useful RCI swag, including t-shirts, towels, visors, backpacks, etc. (and if you had only a couple of points, you could always get... a keychain!!!)

It's such a good idea to encourage and reward physical activity, I really applaunded RCI for supporting this for its guests. I actually have become a highly active person as a result of being "lured" into multiple classes, etc. by this program -- now I workout daily, and I really thank RCI for helping to change my life. Such a shame those programs came to an end. : (

And I know they're environmentally unsound (at least until they develop biodegradable golf balls and skeet) -- but I wish I had been cruising in the days of skeet shooting and golf off the back of the ship!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head... Great thread!! :)

Hi Sue, the Song of America was the last ship with a real VCL, it went all the way around the funnel. Can you believe that when it was built it was the largest ship built specifically for cruising.

And we were soooo impressed. It was our first cruise and we were hooked. Hope all is well with you and Stella and we hope to sail with both of you again soon. :)

We paid MORE to sail on the Monarch in 1993 than to sail on the Allure in 2011 (and that's not even adjusted for inflation).

In fact, I just figured it out using an inflation calculator. Our lowly inside cabin on deck 2 on the Monarch of the Seas in 1993 during low season cost $1608pp in 2012 dollars! :eek:

To the OP:

What would I bring back? The Empress of the Seas.....:D

I LOVED the Empress

No need to smuggle. If you wanted to have a bottle to enjoy in your cabin just pay the $10 extra in the onboard store and bring it back to your cabin.

I remember buying strips of tickets for drinks and also remembering how the wait staff actually enjoyed their jobs. I even had the head waiter apply my lipstick after every meal...lol...bizarre, but he would get a kick out of me putting on lipstick, always being ready to get photographed. I will try to find that photo. I know, it sounds silly, but it was the little things they did that made it nice.

Upon arriving to embark, free drinks were served too :)

And we were soooo impressed. It was our first cruise and we were hooked. Hope all is well with you and Stella and we hope to sail with both of you again soon. :)

Hi there - We have missed you on the Star March 2013 roll call. Are you still with us? Hope you'll drop by for a visit!

I remember buying strips of tickets for drinks and also remembering how the wait staff actually enjoyed their jobs. I even had the head waiter apply my lipstick after every meal...lol...bizarre, but he would get a kick out of me putting on lipstick, always being ready to get photographed. I will try to find that photo. I know, it sounds silly, but it was the little things they did that made it nice.

Upon arriving to embark, free drinks were served too :)

Last time I cruised with RCI (last January)and on practically all of the previous times, the wait staff seemed to enjoy their jobs and took great pride in their ability to provide superb service. Have sailed with RCI since 1983 and don't ever recall purchasing tickets for drinks. Perhaps you are referring to another line?

Last time I cruised with RCI (last January)and on practically all of the previous times, the wait staff seemed to enjoy their jobs and took great pride in their ability to provide superb service. Have sailed with RCI since 1983 and don't ever recall purchasing tickets for drinks. Perhaps you are referring to another line?

It was back in the early 90s...can't remember. But is was not RCCL.

I'd bring back the ribs at MDR lunch. Those were really good -- served with baked beans and corn-on-the-cob.

Sorry, I am from Kansas City and I can't imagine any ribs being any good that aren't dry rubbed and slow smoked over hard wood charcoal. I rarely eat BBq away from home becasue I am almost always disapointed. When at Sea I eat seafood!

Prizes for simple ship board activities and contests like trivia were often a bottle of bubbly or something nice.

Horse racing poolside.

I also sailed on some ships where you had the same deck chair for the entire week. The attendant set it out with the cushion when you arrived.

Having late seating dinner, then having another meal two hours later at the midnight buffet because it looked so good. (I am still carrying some of those meals around)

it's fun to reminisce!

Just like everything else though, Royal has evolved to grow and provide return to its shareholders.

I was 4 on my first "premier" cruise (the one that disney was affiliated with).

If you want the "old" experience, you're going to have to pay for it (just like you had to in the past with Royal). I'm sure Crystal, Cunard or Seabourn (you know the list) would be thrilled to have you on board and charge you for the first class experience you long for.

Some lines do it with Margin (luxury marked up) others do it with Volume.

I'm sure the Carnivore board has a similar thread. Thanks for sharing these pictures and memories. Very fun to look back into the past.

As these ships retire your memories are photos are all we have left (Monarch and Majesty heading to spain too!)

Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey JC, how are you? we sailed the navigator from southampton on a TA together. Only been back on RCCL once since then. mostly Celebrity since. taking the new carnival Breeze from barcelona to miami in Nov. May do the Navigtor Rome RT in May 2013.

I remember sailing on the Oceanic in 1973 with 2 of my girlfriends. We were the only 3 young single girls on the ship. Everyone wore full length gowns every night, and most of the men were in tuxes.

What kind of creeps me out now, is how they always got the right nightgown on the bed for each of us every night.

Bon Voyage party, we had about 8 people see us off on the ship.

Most of the entertainment was music and dancing in the lounges. I really don't remember any big production shows. Around the pool there weren't any lounge chairs, if you were lucky you could get a mat on the deck.

Sorry for the big pictures. I didn't know how to make them smaller.

6-12-201222334PM.jpg

6-12-201222330PM.jpg

6-12-201222325PM.jpg

6-12-201222327PM.jpg

DW and I sailed on the Soverign in 1994, I miss the great service in MDR, the relish trays, the fresh baked breads, a wider selection of foods, the woundeful deserts, the guy with the pepper mill, the guy with the salad dressings, and the guy who removed the crumbs from the table.

I absolutely love the old pictures here... I only started cruising a few years ago but, I miss the Vitality At Sea tokens.... Like others have said... And the midnight buffet with the half hour of photo's... That's how I was able to get quite a few friends to cruise... The grand nature of it all!

Archived