Need Help With Cruise Insurance HAL

PeaceLoveCruise

We always purchase the Platinum plan. The price is based on the price of your cruise so it can vary. Just call HAL and your PCC or any customer service rep should be able to tell you the cost for your cruise.

I have done both, insurance outside of Hal and Hal Platinum policy. Had to use both and was happy with the results of both. You can save some money going outside for insurance, but that's up to you. Hal policy is great because you can cancel for any reason and get you money back less the price of the insurance.

We buy the Platinum because we want the medical & evacuation coverage, but the "cancel right up to sailing" (instead of 24 hrs for the Standard) is another plus for us because we often travel to the port within that last 24 hours. If those benefits aren't important to you, then choose the Standard plan.

Does anyone know much about cruise insurance through HAL? I have looked at the plans. Any experiences or advice.

I think we will purchase with final payment. I'm just not sure which plan is the one to go with.

Thanks!

http://media.hollandamerica.com/CPP/cpp_details_bookedGuest.html

Kelly

Please be aware that HAL's Protection Plan / Insurance must be purchased before final payment date in order to cover pre-existing conditions. IE -- if final payment is the 15th, insurance must be purchased on or before the 14th

Rich

We buy the Platinum because we want the medical & evacuation coverage, but the "cancel right up to sailing" (instead of 24 hrs for the Standard) is another plus for us because we often travel to the port within that last 24 hours. If those benefits aren't important to you, then choose the Standard plan.

The amount of the reimbursement is slightly higher for the Platinum package as well.

We buy the Platinum Plan with HAL and like the cancel for any reason which we had to use once. I suggest you read the plans on the web page before committing. I don't think they are for everyone. Some have indicated the medical coverage is low. So I would definitely check it out.

On one of our cruises I became ill and needed to go to sickbay... Once treated I had to charge the medical expense to my ship board account and then submit a claim for reimbursement once the cruise was over.

My question is Has anyone personally used the medical benefit of platinum care? Does this policy work in the same fashion or is it handled internally because it is offered through HAL.. can anyone elaborate on their experience with the medical workings of the policy?

This is taken from the summary of benefits. I think the "reimbursement" part implies that you pay and they reimburse.

· Medical & Dental Expense - Reimburses you for medical expenses incurred, up to $10,000, for an Accident or a Sickness, in the event you become injured or sick during your cruise/ cruisetour."

Kelly

On one of our cruises I became ill and needed to go to sickbay... Once treated I had to charge the medical expense to my ship board account and then submit a claim for reimbursement once the cruise was over.

My question is Has anyone personally used the medical benefit of platinum care? Does this policy work in the same fashion or is it handled internally because it is offered through HAL.. can anyone elaborate on their experience with the medical workings of the policy?

When this happened to us on HAL the sick bay gave us paperwork for submitting to Barclay's ( the insurance carrier ) and we were charged on our shipboard account for the visit and the meds. Once home I submitted the info and a check was issued very quickly.

This is taken from the summary of benefits. I think the "reimbursement" part implies that you pay and they reimburse.

· Medical & Dental Expense - Reimburses you for medical expenses incurred, up to $10,000, for an Accident or a Sickness, in the event you become injured or sick during your cruise/ cruisetour."

Kelly

Thank you Kelly... I had a feeling it was like that I was talking to cruise consultant from hal.. last week and she indicated it was handled in house... i didn't think that was correct .. but one never knows .. we don't buy our insurance for another couple of weeks... Once again thanks for the clarification

Thank you Kelly... I had a feeling it was like that I was talking to cruise consultant from hal.. last week and she indicated it was handled in house... i didn't think that was correct .. but one never knows .. we don't buy our insurance for another couple of weeks... Once again thanks for the clarification

I can see someone getting that impression since until the cruise starts it is handled in house. HAL does not "buy" the insurance from Barclays until the cruise starts, then Barclays takes over as insurance.

Yes, we did. We had Medical Center expenses that were billed to our onboard account. We are on Medicare with a secondary. It is common knowledge that Medicare does not pay when outside the US but we had to submit to our secondary insurance the charges even though I knew they would deny them. But I had to get that denial - once I had that and submitted the information to the HAL carrier, they reimbursed to me the charges promptly. Barbara

Keep in mind HAL's policy limit of $10,000 on medical. That doesn't go very far for a serious illness or accident. IF your usual medical insurance pays outside the country, than fine. You would have insurance. If your personal medical insurance does not pay outside your country, that is a seriously low amount of insurance.

Just something to take note of, IMO

Check out insuremytrip. I think you can find better choices there.

I think you're right, but for pre-existing conditions to be covered, you have to purchase insurance within (7? 14?) days of the original booking. If you book way in advance of your cruise and don't want to commit to the cost of insurance right away, (or forget to get it within the 1/2 week limit), then HAL's insurance just before final payment is a reasonable option.

I think you're right, but for pre-existing conditions to be covered, you have to purchase insurance within (7? 14?) days of the original booking. If you book way in advance of your cruise and don't want to commit to the cost of insurance right away, (or forget to get it within the 1/2 week limit), then HAL's insurance just before final payment is a reasonable option.

There are policies offered thru that website that will cover pre-existing conditions even if you don't buy until final payment.

Keep in mind HAL's policy limit of $10,000 on medical. That doesn't go very far for a serious illness or accident. IF your usual medical insurance pays outside the country, than fine. You would have insurance. If your personal medical insurance does not pay outside your country, that is a seriously low amount of insurance.

Just something to take note of, IMO

Totally agree. I wouldn't think of going without additional medical.

I have always bought the insurance, twice making a claim. Once was with HAL and my cruise consultant handled everything when we were rear ended by a tanker truck and unable to go on our cruise. I would buy their insurance on future bookings.

On a recent cruise, I bought insurance through the online agency we booked with. I was injured exiting the ship and after much time and expense submitting a volume of documentation, was denied. The requirement sheet was so imposing that I imagine 99% of people don't even file. Then I get a letter stating I didn't have an "accident". I'll go with HAL but not this company ever again.

The only problem with purchasing the insurance through the cruiseline, is if they go belly up, you don't have insurance.

I used to always just buy what the cruiseline offered (be it Carnival, Princess, NCL, Celebrity or HAL) but a few years ago (maybe 7) there was a family that got stranded in Hong Kong or Singapore because the cruiseline went under. Can't remember if it was Renaissance Cruises or Regal. They were on a World cruise and just got put ashore. No refund, no hotels, no HELP. I don't remember now, but the dollar amount they were out was staggering.

(Call me an alarmist, but) since that time, I now go to insure my trip and purchase insurance there. Not saying HAL or NCL or any other line is going to go belly up, but you never know, that's why INSURANCE is sold in the first place, is for the UNKNOWN.

Holy crap does this insurance business confuse the heck out of me!

Sigh.

I'm reasonably intelligent (at least I think so! lol) but reading about all the plans and what they do and don't cover and what you have to do and the timeframe in which you have to do it in just makes my head spin.

Ugh.

We've been lucky in that we've never had anything go wrong in the past, but that is just more reason to get insurance now!

Anyone have any BASIC advice when looking at insurance (and this is general, I know there are a ton of different things to look at as well as things that might matter more to one person or another). We are healthy 40-somethings with no per-exsisting conditions...

Up to what age can you buy the HAL insurance so that it covers pre existing conditions, I know, pay when you book but do they need a medical description of your pre-existing conditions if you are over a certain age? I hope it is not 75 as my husband is 74.

Thanks

Archived