What is the proper protocol?

Christine Frances

Love Celebrity and it's always our go-to cruise line but I am sure we all lurk and check out other cruise line boards. There are a few that because of the itinerary we might have a closer look at. The question is: if you have not sailed on HAL or Princess for example, what do you do when you see posts that are blatantly wrong eg "there are no mini fridges in X cabins" and "bingo announcements all day long". These are minor - I've read worse misconceptions. Does everyone just stay quiet or do you post to clarify? Is it a no-no to post on another board when you haven't sailed on that line?

I really have to bite my "tongue" sometimes.

I would say "I was on XXX ship in this cabin, and we had a fridge"

I'd just assume, the poster forgot what s/he had ;)

I love herbal teas, and asked somebody who was on the same ship before, if they have them on the cruise (going for the very first time). She said no, they don't. I brought a whole bag. And took it home :cool:

If I knew about Cruise Critic, this wouldn't happen. Of course it's a minor thing, but this is what makes vacations more enjoyable! Treat thy neighbor as thyself :p

Well, I would be hesitant to post anything on the HAL board that could even remotely or indirectly be construed as a criticism (or support for anyone who says anything critical). I've had at least one of the HAL cheerleaders not only question my cruising history but my posting history (i.e., that I"m not a regular HAL poster) and suggest that I was therefore probably part of some off board conspiracy to criticize HAL. I still lurk there because HAL is a line I would consider booking -- but for now I don't post.

Warmwinds: I think the OP is talking about correcting misstatements about Celebrity on other forums, not posting about cruise lines she hasn't been on.

Well, I would be hesitant to post anything on the HAL board that could even remotely or indirectly be construed as a criticism (or support for anyone who says anything critical). I've had at least one of the HAL cheerleaders not only question my cruising history but my posting history (i.e., that I"m not a regular HAL poster) and suggest that I was therefore probably part of some off board conspiracy to criticize HAL. I still lurk there because HAL is a line I would consider booking -- but for now I don't post.

]Your so right especially if you happen to use the word "smoking" in your post! :mad:

I was just using HAL or Princess as an example (sorry HAL people:)). It could be any line. I guess the best idea is to ignore the posts and MMOB:D but it still irks.

Personally, If something is wrong then it should be corrected. However, the delivery of the correction is very important. The big problem with text , is that you cannot always tell the context or mood it was written in and thus it can be a real problem with how someone interprets the response.:D

Warmwinds: I think the OP is talking about correcting misstatements about Celebrity on other forums, not posting about cruise lines she hasn't been on.

I made the mistake of posting on the HAL board after I took a HAL cruise. I compared it to my Celebrity cruise experience. Some things were better (I liked the cabin and the bed much better). But boy did they jump down my throat about the stuff I didn't like (the service was dreadful). So I think I'd keep still there unless, for some odd reason, I decided to take a HAL cruise and needed some information. For example, their cabin classes are pretty much Greek to me.

Love Celebrity and it's always our go-to cruise line but I am sure we all lurk and check out other cruise line boards. There are a few that because of the itinerary we might have a closer look at. The question is: if you have not sailed on HAL or Princess for example, what do you do when you see posts that are blatantly wrong eg "there are no mini fridges in X cabins" and "bingo announcements all day long". These are minor - I've read worse misconceptions. Does everyone just stay quiet or do you post to clarify? Is it a no-no to post on another board when you haven't sailed on that line?

I just went over there and added my two cents worth. I told them I've been on two Celebrity cruises and heard very few announcements. I suggested they the person may have meant Carnival or RCL?

I just went over there and added my two cents worth. I told them I've been on two Celebrity cruises and heard very few announcements. I suggested they the person may have meant Carnival or RCL?

I have to tip my hat to you, as you are so brave and I love your picture as well.:D

In my experience, it's better to be as non-controversial as possible. Stick to stating what you know is true. Don't imply anyone else is wrong or lying and let the reader make up his or her own mind.

I really think it depends on who has posted the (wrong) information on the other forum as to the reception you would receive by correcting it. Some long time posters have such a fan base, they can't say anything wrong and you would end up on the wrong side of the cheerleaders. :eek:

The problem is, the word of these such posters is taken as fact and can put people off trying another line. Who wants to sail without a fridge?

If I had a photo for proof I would post that but in a sensitive way. Biting your tongue is the best strategy, after all, it is just an internet forum and not worth getting yourself upset about. :)

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."

I wouldn't touch a comment about food or service, which is by nature subject an opinion. I dislike [to put it mildly] having a waiter ask numerous times if everything is okay [not to say that a waiter shouldn't notice if you seem to not be enjoying your food, and then make an query], but I'm sure there must be people who would feel neglected if this wasn't happening. Concerning refrigerators I could say

"In my 25 Celebrity cruises in accommodations from insides to Concierge Class I have ALWAYS had a refrigerator. I have been on every Celebrity ship except their very first one, Meridian. I have not been in every cabin on each ship, but I'm pretty sure they all have refrigerators."

Everything said above is factual, and does not slam the OP nor the line on whose board you are lurking. I'm not sure whether I would state my opinion [not having taking factual temperature measurements] that Celebrity refrigerators I have encountered don't keep things very cold.

One of my very first cruises [on a line that has not been mentioned in this thread] was inundated with what seemed like continuous sales announcements in three languages. I loved finding Celebrity with only the noon Captain's announcement follows by a relative short sales pitch from the CD. On my last several Celebrity cruises I have noticed more and more 10 am "sales" announcements. I hope that this is just over zealous CDs and not a change in corporate policy. Has anyone else noticed these creeping sales announcements on Celebrity?

Thom

Who wants to sail without a fridge?

We have a cruise coming up shortly on Summit. It's been a while since we've been on an "M-class," and I was wondering if we had a mini-fridge. Thanks for confirming we do.

By the way (and we really like HAL) our last cruise in a "DD" Outside on Ryndam - we had no fridge. The insides and outsides on the smaller (older) HAL ships have no fridges.

Having one on the Summit cruise will be very helpful.

So THANK YOU for the information!

I'd have no issues correcting factual information such as the existence or not of a fridge or the frequency of announcements. Personally, I'd probably post subjective opinions as well but would also be ready for my opinions to be rejected - depends on how thick your internet skin is.

I'm shocked to read there are untruths and half-lies on cruise critic. Say it ain't so!

Don't worry - you can believe everything you read on the internet! :rolleyes:

Although Celebrity is my preferred line, I do follow the HAL and Princess boards as they are on my radar as potential other lines to try, particularly if they offer an itinerary that X does not. A couple of times I noted on the HAL board that someone posted incorrect information about X which I pointed out and received no backlash as I made sure it was done with respect and in order to have correct facts put out there.

Go and give it to 'em Christine!:) I used to occasionally dip into other boards when I was interested in that line and if I read something posted as factual that I knew wasn't then I'd respond. Every so often on other boards you'd get the "Celebrity is snooty" which is more of an opinion, but nonetheless factually incorrect. I don't really visit any boards now except Celebrity and Azamara because I can be reasonably sure I know what I am talking about. There are a few on this board who I now call armchair experts. They'd have you believe they cruised Celebrity a lot recently, but haven't and I can usually suss them out.

Phil

Are the mini-fridges empty or are they mini-bars, filled with stuff to buy? In all our cruises I've seen the fridge under the TV but we have never opened it up - I know we're freaks but with so much to eat/drink/do on board we never had anything in our cabin, except one cruise we snuck on a bottle of Grand Marnier but just drank that neat. We had to hide the glasses every night because the room steward kept taking them away. :( And the CC "champagne" on boarding, well that was taken care of in one swoop. :)

Archived