People who don't get travel insurance

Katana_Geldar

I haven't been a member here for long, but I've seen people on here who not only don't get it but try and encourage others not to get it.

Personally, I get travel insurance. I don't want to forfeit the cost if we gave to cancel, and anything could happen overseas and I could be hit with the cost of an evac.

Insurance is your choice, I'm not forcing people to get it but please don't tell people not to.

We buy medical and evacuation but never cancellation.

The premiums for medical and evac are very low and that is where the exposure is for high $$ loss. Presumably we can afford to lose the price of the cruise or we would not have booked it.

We have not paid the high premiums (predicated upon cost of cabin category we book) for about our last 60+ cruises. We have been very fortunate to never have to cancel in penalty period and are now tens of thousands ahead in premiums we did not pay.

We'd hate to lose the price of a cruise but we'd still be very, very far ahead.

We would never travel away from home without medical and evac/repat coverage. That can run into very serious money.

By no means do I presume to suggest to anyone else what they should do.

This is what works well for us but each decides for themselves what, for them is best.

I traveled with my healthy 50 year old girlfriend this year and she ended up having a bleeding ulcer the first night of the cruise (didn't even know she had an ulcer).

She needed a blood transfusion, so had to be air lifted back to Florida. She has never purchased cruise insurance and was lucky they air lifted her back to the states because the US Coast Guard doesn't charge, but if it had been another day or two before they discovered it she was told it could have cost her $60,000 or so to be evacuated to another country.

Now, 5 months later, her insurance company is still refusing to pay $17,000 of the medical expenses she incurred, which would have been covered by TRAVEL INSURANCE!

Travel with it or at your own risk. I've always purchased travel insurance, but never had to use it. Even though my insurance company says they'll cover everything (same insurance company as my friend) I will never risk traveling without it.

Just my experience.

Take lots of trips and you're almost guaranteed to lose money. If you want it fine, but I don't want it except for health coverage.

Except for that one time where you wished you had it. Sorta like auto or homeowner's insurance

Just paid $76 to cover the both of us on our next 7-day cruise - very reasonable, imho.

Thing is - you just never know.......

We buy medical and evacuation but never cancellation.

The premiums for medical and evac are very low and that is where the exposure is for high $$ loss. Presumably we can afford to lose the price of the cruise or we would not have booked it.

We have not paid the high premiums (predicated upon cost of cabin category we book) for about our last 60+ cruises. We have been very fortunate to never have to cancel in penalty period and are now tens of thousands ahead in premiums we did not pay.

We'd hate to lose the price of a cruise but we'd still be very, very far ahead.

We would never travel away from home without medical and evac/repat coverage. That can run into very serious money.

By no means do I presume to suggest to anyone else what they should do.

This is what works well for us but each decides for themselves what, for them is best.

Which company sells only medical and evac/repat without cancellation? Or do they all?

I have been reading about this and if I understand it correctly, you can enter zero trip cost and forfeit the trip cancellation but you will receive all other coverage. I just tried it on a trip insurance website and it seems to be correct. :)

I have been reading about this and if I understand it correctly, you can enter zero trip cost and forfeit the trip cancellation but you will receive all other coverage. I just tried it on a trip insurance website and it seems to be correct. :)

I have read on `Tripinsurancestore` that it is unwise to enter zero trip cost because your coverage doesn`t start until the day of the cruise. Even putting $1.00 in the trip cost box will start your coverage the day you purchase the policy. Doing this would give you the pre existing waiver.

This can be done. Btw, the annual policy this person gets is only $300.00 or $400.00 for the year.

Yes, but the payment limits are pretty low on annual policies for Travelguard. For example, in my state, you get only $10,000 worth of medical coverage, trip cancellation is limited to $1500, etc. For this policy, I'd pay $267. It's cheaper and I get better coverage just purchasing the two or so trip specific policies I buy a year.

I have read on `Tripinsurancestore` that it is unwise to enter zero trip cost because your coverage doesn`t start until the day of the cruise. Even putting $1.00 in the trip cost box will start your coverage the day you purchase the policy. Doing this would give you the pre existing waiver.

That really varies by policy. with most it makes no difference at all. And why in the world would you just insure $1? It should cost you no more to insure $500. At least that way you'd have some cancellation and interruption coverage. $1 does nothing for you.

For example, this is from Travel Guard's most popular plan:

"ELIGIBILITY, EFFECTIVE AND TERMINATION DATES

Effective Date: After any required Enrollment Form is completed, Trip Cancellation and Cancel For Any Reason coverage will be effective for an Insured at 12:01 a.m. Standard Time on the date following receipt by the Insurer or the Insurer’s authorized representative of any required plan cost.

All other coverages will begin on the later of:

(a)12:01 a.m. Standard Time on the scheduled Departure Date shown on the travel documents; or

(b)the date and time the Insured starts his/her Trip; provided any required plan cost has been paid."

As you can see, the cancellation coverage has a separate effective date from the other coverages including medical and emergency evacuation. So no matter if you buy $0 trip cancellation coverage or $10,000 trip cancellation coverage, the effective date of the other benefits does not change.

I think if you look at most other plans the same applies. This is from Travelex's most popular plan:

"ELIGIBILITY & EFFECTIVE DATES

When Coverage Begins

All coverages (except Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation and Post-Departure Trip Interruption) will take effect on the later of 1) the date the plan payment and enrollment form has been received; 2) the date and time you start your Covered Trip; or 3) 12:01 A.M. Standard Time on the Scheduled Departure Date of your Covered Trip."

Again, no matter what amount you cover for trip cancellation, the medical and evac coverages will start on the date specified in the plan document.

How much can insuring $1 cost you when you don't really want any cancellation coverage? For one plan I'm looking at, the premium for a 60 year old jumps from $25 to $38 -- about a 50% increase.

With any plan you're considering insuring $0 (or $1) check the plan wording for the benefit effective dates before you jack your premium up 50% for no reason.

• 2 months later...

I have a Chase Presidential Plus Mastercard and some of the benefits are trip delay; travel and emergency assistance services; lost luggage reimbursement; baggage delay reimbursement; travel accident insurance; emergency evacuation and transportation; medical services; purchase protection, etc.

For years, I have purchased from my TA their Travel Protection Plan which covers the above stated matters. Of course, it comes at a healthy premium depending on the cost of the cruise and the age of the insured.

Does anyone have any experience with this Mastercard benefit, or any other credit card benefit? Seems the TA's are offering coverage that I already have. Has anyone taken the opportunity to read the full insurance coverage that their credit card offers?

I read this on Mastercard's Guide to Benefits outline. The plan is underwritten by Federal Insurance Company a member of the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies.

Why would I need to purchase an additional travel insurance policy from my TA?

Redbird48

I have a Chase Presidential Plus Mastercard and some of the benefits are trip delay; travel and emergency assistance services; lost luggage reimbursement; baggage delay reimbursement; travel accident insurance; emergency evacuation and transportation; medical services; purchase protection, etc.

For years, I have purchased from my TA their Travel Protection Plan which covers the above stated matters. Of course, it comes at a healthy premium depending on the cost of the cruise and the age of the insured.

Does anyone have any experience with this Mastercard benefit, or any other credit card benefit? Seems the TA's are offering coverage that I already have. Has anyone taken the opportunity to read the full insurance coverage that their credit card offers?

I read this on Mastercard's Guide to Benefits outline. The plan is underwritten by Federal Insurance Company a member of the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies.

Why would I need to purchase an additional travel insurance policy from my TA?

Redbird48

1) If you want/need additional trip cancellation or trip interruption coverage you'll obviously have to purchase another policy. If you don't (and feel the coverages from the credit card are adequate for your needs) you won't. No one can make that decision for you.

2) The sum total cost of those benefits you're getting from your credit card is only a few bucks for most cruisers. That's why they're "free" with the card. So even if you do buy another policy that duplicates these coverages you're only out a small amount.

3) Be sure to check with the credit card company if there are any restriction on their use. I have seen some that only apply the benefits if the trip has been paid with the card. If you used another card you're out of luck. This probably doesn't apply to you but it's worth checking.

Redbird48

What are the max payable benefits for each listed coverage and what is max total payable?

What are the max payable benefits for each listed coverage and what is max total payable?

The simplified brochure outlines the travel coverage issues. If you have a Mastercard, they give the Benefit Question phone number as: 1-888-880-5844. I called and asked them to send me the Complete Policy Provisions contained in the Master Policy; plan underwritten by Federal Insurance Company a member insurer of the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies.

It appears to cover all the items we are concerned about with the possession of this MasterCard, which cost is about $495 per year.

This simplified brochure came with my credit card issuance.

Redbird48

I've seen people on here who not only don't get it but try and encourage others not to get it.......... I'm not forcing people to get it but please don't tell people not to.

I don't see posts encouraging others not to get insurance. But I see scores and scores of people "telling" others: "EVERYBODY must ALWAYS get travel insurance.......cause you just never know what might happen!"

Actually, I feel that it is a must if you are not covered by your health provider when out of the country. I feel that few people bother to check if they are covered. If you are covered by your health provider (including med-evac) then you have a choice, and some people may choose not to.

It appears to cover all the items we are concerned about with the possession of this MasterCard, which cost is about $495 per year.

This simplified brochure came with my credit card issuance.

Redbird48

I understand that it "says" it covers all items your concerned with. However, the question comes in at what, when, and how much.

Trip Delay for example. How long must you be delayed before coverage kicks in? Some policies 2 - 4 hours. Some policies 12 hours.

How much is max payable for "Trip Delay? Up to $500, $1000, $5000?

Medical Assistance? Does that mean THEY pay for medical? or does that mean that you can call them and the assist you in finding a medical facility but YOU pay for any care or treatment.

Lost Luggage? They buying new luggage, they buying new clothes, they replaceing all your jewelry? or are they just helping you find your lost luggage?

Emergency Evacation and transportation,,, to where? Your home? closest facility? what about spouse or family members on the cruise with you. Are they transporting them also?

These are just things you need to look into. I have some coverages on my credit card also. However, it is so limited that I still share my risks with travel insurance coverage.

This is a topic that has been discussed many times. If you ask 10 peoples opinion you will get 10 different answers. As you may able to guess from my "name" I have some experience specific to the costs of evacuation.

In my specific case I am not concerned about cruise cancellation costs nor am I concerned about the cost of medical care that I may incur while away from home. For others this may be important. My recent cruises have been prettly costly which equates with costly insurance as the insurance is commonly based upon the cost of the overall trip, specific for cruise cancellation coverage. A $1,000 Caribbean cruise would probably not cost a lot to insure but a $20,000 cruise to Antartica would be quite pricey. For $100 I would probably go for it but my recent cruise from Australia to Tahiti would have cost $1,500 per person for full coverage.

I look at the cost of the cruise itself, not counting in any medical costs or evacuation, as something that I can "self insure". Since I was able to afford the cost of the cruise if for some reason I have to cancel and I lose all my money I will be really, really pissed, but I can afford this. After all, I was going to spend "x" amount of dollars for the cruise and if I cancel I would still pay that but not travel.

I have good insurance here at home that I am comfortable with and I know it will cover me if need be at another country. I also have the financial means to lay out any medical costs in advance, if required, and then get reimbursment after I get home. Obviously if you do not have this level of health insurance or if you had to lay out $20,000 for medical care and you cannot than insurance would be more important to you.

I think that many focus on cruise cancellation insurance and medical insurance while on the cruise and forget what is the most important issue, in my opinion, which is evacuation insurance. If you need to be brought back to the US via an air ambulance my guess is that your wallet is not big enough. Figure an easy $30,000 - $70,000 from the Caribbean, $100,000 from Europe and $200,000+ from Asia. About 2 years ago we flew a patient from NY to India at a cost of $250,000. These expense can financially cripple many people. For this reason I would suggest an evacuation policy, at a minimum. I have no ties with Medjetassist but they get good reviews at reasonable prices. Some organizations, such as DAN for the divers out there, also offer decent plans.

Any insurance that includes evacuation should be read closely for the actual coverage. In my opinion you should make sure that the dollar value of evacuation will cover the cost, which as I identifed can be $250,000 if you are in Africa or Asia. Also, many policies stipulate that evacuation will only be done to the nearest hospital that can provide care. This means that if you are on a ship visiting Fiji you may be evacuated to New Zealand, not back to the US. Some policies allow for you to decide where you want to go as long as you are at least 250 miles from your home. If I got sick in Grand Cayman I want to come back to NY, not Miami.

So, at the end of my long post "to each their own".

Here in Australia we must be very lucky, we have reciprocal health care arrangements with a few countries.

I have a pre existing health condition, I am a heart patient.

A few years ago one of my clients who was a TA at the time put me onto annual travel insurance policies, the cost was $372, or just over a $1 a day for a year of coverage,

Now that I have a PEMC my policy is $572 a year for unlimited health worldwide.

I never travel without insurance even domestically it's not worth the risk.

Archived