If We Miss Boat in Vancouver Can We Board in Nainamo?

Pompein

Know we shouldn't, but flying in day of cruise on Sept 14 from Dallas. Ship sails at 4:30p, flight arrives at 1:10pm. I know it will be a close call, have booked air/tranfers thru RCL/Choice Air. If we miss the ship, can we just get on at Nainamo or will that violate the Jones Act, etc? Thanks.

Also find out who will pay and if/how you will be reimbursed to get to the next port.

Could you buy an Air Deviation and get in earlier?

Check the Cruise Air board for more info. Good luck.

Know we shouldn't, but flying in day of cruise on Sept 14 from Dallas. Ship sails at 4:30p, flight arrives at 1:10pm. I know it will be a close call, have booked air/tranfers thru RCL/Choice Air. If we miss the ship, can we just get on at Nainamo or will that violate the Jones Act, etc? Thanks.

The Passenger Vessel Service Act only applies to ships sailings between US ports....doesn't affect ships leaving from foreign ports.

But you do have to be on the ship a certain time before it sails...your best bet is to contact RCI...that is cutting it pretty close.

Thanks everyone. Contacted RCI and they told me since it's leaving from Vancouver and next port would be Canada, too that the Jones Act doesn't apply.

Said we could possible catch the ship in Nainamo but I would have to contact the Emergency department that day.

Think I will try to go a day early, but now I will try to do battle with Choice Air/American to get the change fee waived since AA changed the flight.

if you miss the ship in Vancouver you could probably rent a car & drive to Nanaimo.

You will have to get a ferry from Horseshoe Bay or Tsawwassen.

check out http://www.bcferries.com/

You're really tight for time - YVR is a good 35 minute drive from the cruise port - longer if traffic is bad & it can get bad.

The Passenger Vehicle Service Act would only be involved if you have to board from one US port & the cruise terminates in a different US port. Not allowed to be done by a foreign flagged carrier.

The Jones Act refers to cargo transported between US ports by foreign flagged carriers.

if you miss the ship in Vancouver you could probably rent a car & drive to Nanaimo.

You will have to get a ferry from Horseshoe Bay or Tsawwassen.

check out http://www.bcferries.com/

You're really tight for time - YVR is a good 35 minute drive from the cruise port - longer if traffic is bad & it can get bad.

The Passenger Vehicle Service Act would only be involved if you have to board from one US port & the cruise terminates in a different US port. Not allowed to be done by a foreign flagged carrier.

The Jones Act refers to cargo transported between US ports by foreign flagged carriers.

Air Canada also operates flights between Vancouver International Airport and Nanaimo Airport. If the reason for missing the ship is the fault of the airline you can try to convince the airline to reroute you to Nanaimo instead of Vancouver. It is a very short flight (under 20 min gate-to-gate).

Harbour Air operates sea plane from downtown to downtown however with restrictive baggage limits.

Join the Roll Call for your cruise, maybe someone else is in the same situation.

There are three ships departing that day, totalling 6,894 passengers.

You have to clear customs at airport, collect luggage then trip from airport only to go thru embarkation - time is tight.

I'd come in a day earlier

You will not be in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) not the Jones Act which really deals with cargo ships not cruise ships. As you have booked thru RCL/Choice Air I believe that they will either hold the ship for a reasonable period of time or will undertake to get you to the next port.

Thnnks again everyone. I just changed my flight to the night before to save myself from worrying. Choice Air kept insisting that their cut off time to make the ship was any flight landing before 2PM.

Now all I have to worry about is AA pilots going on strike!:eek:

It is actually Nanaimo (7 potatoes in Japanese)

It is often mis-spelled by many of us here even in BC. As I am typing this I am looking across Georgia Strait into Nanaimo harbour and I have to look two or three times every time I type it. The root of the name is Snanaimo which is the local native Indian word meaning Great People.

Thnnks again everyone. I just changed my flight to the night before to save myself from worrying. Choice Air kept insisting that their cut off time to make the ship was any flight landing before 2PM.

Now all I have to worry about is AA pilots going on strike!:eek:

Glad things worked out, I would have been a nervous wreck.

Relax and start packing -sign up for Connections Party and join the roll call.

Ginny

Archived