CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Thank you 138east and megr1125 for your wealth of information concerning Bayonne/pier. Where do you think is the best position in the lot at the pier to park regarding storms/water/snow (in other words--dry)? I've parked there once before last row by ship during the summer but am concerned about winter-time parking (snow/flooding etc.). Am sailing next month. Thanks again.

Thank you 138east and megr1125 for your wealth of information concerning Bayonne/pier. Where do you think is the best position in the lot at the pier to park regarding storms/water/snow (in other words--dry)? I've parked there once before last row by ship during the summer but am concerned about winter-time parking (snow/flooding etc.). Am sailing next month. Thanks again.

I got an e-mail from Premier Parking stating that they had no water damage to buildings or vehicles in the hurricane. They are very close to the port parking, but apparently are at a higher elevation.

"Our Port Liberty parking lot is open for business! We were lucky to not receive any damage to our property, or any vehicles parked there, during the storm."

Welcome to the new thread, and thanks to those who contribute their great first-hand knowledge!

We're sailing on Brilliance of the Seas out of Cape Liberty on November 2nd. We'll be flying in to EWR the day before. Initially, I'd booked the Hampton Inn on Staten Island - especially to take advantage of their shuttle from EWR and to the Cruise Port - and because I don't like the idea of paying the huge taxi or car service bill from other area hotels.

Now, we're considering staying in Manhattan instead. We were just in NY/NJ last week (stayed in Newport and commuted to midtown on PATH), and using public transit struck us as very doable. So, I've found a Hampton Inn at 35th and Broadway...I'm thinking if we stay there, it would be easy to get there from EWR (AirTran>PATH), and then to leave for the cruise (PATH>NJ Light Rail>Taxi).

Anyone have personal experience of getting to Cape Liberty by public transit? Is it really relatively pain free? We're a fairly active couple in our 30s who will likely have one rolling suitcase + carryone each...so not a tonne of luggage.

Thanks in advance!

Noel

I've used the PATH>light rail>taxi several times and it was easy. How was it after the storm? Currently NJ Transit has limited rail service. How did you get to and from the pier? What are the current conditions in Bayonne/pier?

Just got back from Freedom and will answer your question, hopefully tonight. You can do this if you leave promptly and follow the cars only route through NYC to avoid I95 through NYC.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE I95 THROUGH NYC!

GPS tends to take you on I95 through NYC - IMO not the best route - big scary trucks through the South Bronx. I'm assuming since you live in Rhode Island, you will be coming down I95. You want to cut over to the Merritt Parkway South at either Milford CT or to the Hutchinson River Parkway South (same as the Merritt) at I287 just after you cross the CT-NY border. When you get to New Rochelle, stay in the left lane for the Cross County Parkway (exit 15). Stay in the center left lane which will become the left lane and go to the end taking the Saw Mill River Parkway South. At the NYC line this becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway. Pay the $4 toll and stay on the left to take the exit to the George Washington Bridge staying in the rightmost exit lane. Follow the signs to I80 West and the NJ Turnpike. Take the turnpike south and follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel - this will take you onto the eastern extension of the turnpike. (Note: not a big deal if you miss this turn - the roads merge further south). When you get to the Lincoln Tunnel area, don't get off but stay on the turnpike south and follow the signs to exit 14A Bayonne. Go straight across the toll plaza and get on the ramp that curves up and left. Stay on the right and bear right at every opportunity until you hit the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left and make the first left. This road (it's a new road and I've forgotten the name - Gold something I think) merges with Port Terminal Blvd to the pier.

I usually use public transportation (PATH>light rail>taxi) to Port Liberty. Does anyone know if it is all up and running on schedule or how soon it will be? I do know there a major issues with NJ Transit since the storm.

PATH has only partially restored service. This is obviously a situation that can change at any time. You should monitor their web site, http://www.panynj.gov/path/ , for current details.

Per the NJ Transit web site, the Hudson Bergen Light Rail is currently operating on a normal weekday schedule...but I'd monitor the situation because power problems seem to pop up randomly in the state.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE I95 THROUGH NYC!

GPS tends to take you on I95 through NYC - IMO not the best route - big scary trucks through the South Bronx. I'm assuming since you live in Rhode Island, you will be coming down I95. You want to cut over to the Merritt Parkway South at either Milford CT or to the Hutchinson River Parkway South (same as the Merritt) at I287 just after you cross the CT-NY border. When you get to New Rochelle, stay in the left lane for the Cross County Parkway (exit 15). Stay in the center left lane which will become the left lane and go to the end taking the Saw Mill River Parkway South. At the NYC line this becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway. Pay the $4 toll and stay on the left to take the exit to the George Washington Bridge staying in the rightmost exit lane. Follow the signs to I80 West and the NJ Turnpike. Take the turnpike south and follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel - this will take you onto the eastern extension of the turnpike. (Note: not a big deal if you miss this turn - the roads merge further south). When you get to the Lincoln Tunnel area, don't get off but stay on the turnpike south and follow the signs to exit 14A Bayonne. Go straight across the toll plaza and get on the ramp that curves up and left. Stay on the right and bear right at every opportunity until you hit the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left and make the first left. This road (it's a new road and I've forgotten the name - Gold something I think) merges with Port Terminal Blvd to the pier.

Can you recommend a hotel near the port of Bayone. I'm sure you have done this many times and I'm sorry for asking again.

We stayed at the Springhill suites last time and used Independent traveler for the shuttle.

Your suggestions valued, thank you.

We stayed at the Best Western Newark Airport West the night before our 10/28 sailing on ExOS. It was $199 for the stay park and cruise package. They drove 3 vans full of us over to the ship and you get a voucher for a cab back. Information was hard to come by due to Sandy but when we got there and got back to the hotel (which was closed) they had people there waiting for us to get our cars. They were all nice and dry and we drove on home without any problems.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

We are staying at the Country Inn next Wednesday before our Explorer cruise on Thursday 12/13. Can anyone advise the best way to get from the hotel to the pier the morning of the cruise? I see that this hotel charges $35 pp for a shuttle to the pier. Are there car services that might be cheaper? Or could we arrange for a taxi? There will be two of us with two suitcases. Thanks!

We used I Drive Shuttle when we took our Nov 2nd cruise on the Brilliance repositioning cruise from Cape Liberty. They are also known as Independent Driver, LLC but they do not have a website. 888-816-0973. Inde.drvr@gmail.com. Very reliable and reasonable. $45 plus tip, no toll charge. (One way). This was for 3 people with 3 pieces of luggage. Let the guy know you heard about it from this website. Highly recommended.

Chris

Meg, I just wanted you to know that we did use Brook Air car service for out Brilliance cruise in November. My TA had to switch our Delta flight to JFK from LGA, and the service was waiting at the baggage area, even though we were 90 minutes late. The car service was wonderful, clean and friendly. The total charge was $73 as quoted, and we gave him a $20 tip. It was still under a hundred. I would recommend them to anyone who asks. IF we ever need the service again, we will call Brook Air in a heartbeat!

Judy

We are staying at the Country Inn next Wednesday before our Explorer cruise on Thursday 12/13. Can anyone advise the best way to get from the hotel to the pier the morning of the cruise? I see that this hotel charges $35 pp for a shuttle to the pier. Are there car services that might be cheaper? Or could we arrange for a taxi? There will be two of us with two suitcases. Thanks!

Hi Ray. I'll be on the cruise with you. Nine of us from the roll call are sharing a shuttle form CI&S to the port using independent driver. I'm told our van is full with nine of us, but perhaps you can start another one. We were quoted $10 per person each way.

Wendy

Edited by Starry Eyes

We are taking the Summit repositioning cruise from San Juan to Bayonne. It leaves San Juan on April 27, 2013. We will be staying in Newark on the 26th to catch a flight on the 27th. There are eight of us and we will be getting two rooms.

Stay123 has the Country Inn and Trinity has the Springhill Suites. The CI is about $20 more per room than SS. Last time we stayed at SS, some of our party had a very difficult time finding the SS.

Is the CI easier to find? Which hotel has bigger rooms?

thanks

Meg, I just wanted you to know that we did use Brook Air car service for out Brilliance cruise in November. My TA had to switch our Delta flight to JFK from LGA, and the service was waiting at the baggage area, even though we were 90 minutes late. The car service was wonderful, clean and friendly. The total charge was $73 as quoted, and we gave him a $20 tip. It was still under a hundred. I would recommend them to anyone who asks. IF we ever need the service again, we will call Brook Air in a heartbeat!

Judy

Cool......thanks for the feedback....

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

We are taking the Summit repositioning cruise from San Juan to Bayonne. It leaves San Juan on April 27, 2013. We will be staying in Newark on the 26th to catch a flight on the 27th. There are eight of us and we will be getting two rooms.

Stay123 has the Country Inn and Trinity has the Springhill Suites. The CI is about $20 more per room than SS. Last time we stayed at SS, some of our party had a very difficult time finding the SS.

thanks

Country inns is much easier to find, but my impression is that the rooms are more spacious in Springhill Suites. SS is definitely more difficult to find. You cannot rely on GPS. You must print out their directions from the web site and follow them exactly. If I recall correctly you follow the signs to routes 1 & 9 south and route 22 and stay in the right lane. There is only one entrance to the complex of three hotels that include the Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, and Springhill Suites. Printing out a detailed map of the area could also be useful.

thanks

I assume the dates are a typo...or a month long cruise. what date do you really need?

have you priced residence inn...from the little I have read, might it be a good mix of room size and location?

It looks like the OP is driving to Newark,looking for a park/sleep the 26th, and flying to San Juan on the 27th to catch their cruise. I know folks don't recommend flying the same day as the cruise, but the ships leave about 8 pm from SJ, so an early flight will probably work. I've done this several times from EWR.

It looks like the OP is driving to Newark,looking for a park/sleep the 26th, and flying to San Juan on the 27th to catch their cruise. I know folks don't recommend flying the same day as the cruise, but the ships leave about 8 pm from SJ, so an early flight will probably work. I've done this several times from EWR.

We are flying to San Juan from EWR on April 27th to catch the Summit leaving San Juan on April 27th. We did book through RCL Cruise Air. It is a bit risky but the first port call is St Martin's and that would be easy to catch up to. In the past, ships have left San Juan as late as 11 PM awaiting passengers.

Wish we could go early - but work gets in the way.

Thanks for the info on the hotels.

So your best deal is really Springhill Suites despite the problems of finding the hotel. If you contact Independent Driver, you can all get back from the pier to the airport for $10/pp. l

Thanks, 138east

That is what we will do.

we have used Independent Driver before and were very pleased.

We are sailing on the Exlorer in early march. Driving down from Ontario and staying on the outskirts of the city. Have never been to NY.....how will the traffic be driving to the port on a tuesday morning? Is there a website I can go to for info on parking/driving directions? thank you.

The Explorer sails from Bayonne NJ so no need to go into NYC at all. What exact date are you sailing? Where are you looking to stay on the outskirts of NY?

Typically we suggest looking at Hotwire for Parsipanny NJ, which is about an hour away out route 80. If you leave at about 10 am, you would come in route 80 to the NJ turnpike south and follow the signs to exit 14A for Bayonne. You go straight across the toll plaza and take a ramp that goes up and curves left. You bear right at every opportunity until you get to the light at route 440 where you make a left, stay left and make a left into the port at the first light. Parking is $19/day.