Average age of guests on Oceania cruises?

contactmc2

I am looking to plan plan my very first cruise and considering Oceania. I read somewhere that Oceania tend to have more of the mature crowd. I am 35 and my wife is 30. What we want to avoid is being in an overly "stuffy" environment. Would really appreciate any feedback/recommendations from cruise veterans. Thank you all in advance!

Yes, Oceania is an older crowd. Very well traveled and friendly. The atmosphere is not at all stuffy. Attire is country club casual, no formal nights.

The food and service is wonderful and the ships gorgeous.

We took our first cruise in April and have booked two more. We loved the atmosphere.

If you want a party atmosphere with club vibe into the early morning hours this is not your cruise-line. If you are planning a port-intensive cruise and a chance to relax, enjoy great food and wine. . . . Oceania is the place for you. The ship never felt crowded.

(We are in our forties)

I am looking to plan plan my very first cruise and considering Oceania. I read somewhere that Oceania tend to have more of the mature crowd. I am 35 and my wife is 30. What we want to avoid is being in an overly "stuffy" environment. Would really appreciate any feedback/recommendations from cruise veterans. Thank you all in advance!

I would say that depends more on what type of thirty somethings you and the wife are.

If it is announced that the DJ is playing Oldies up in Horizons and you go up expecting to hear Madonna, you may feel out of place. :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, the passengers usually run from late forties to early eighties, and they are so comfortable in their skin and pleasant to be around that after the first twenty minutes you wont give age a second thought unless you're looking for a partner for beach Lacrosse (and even then they may surprise you).

I think the timing of the cruise and the intinery might change the age of the traveller as well?? On our Italian cruise this month there was a wide age group from children (not many) to young couples right through to quite old. it seemed many of the younger adults were travelling as a group with their parents for a family holiday.

I know in the cabin next to us there was a young couple who had the "do not disturb" sign out a lot :)

I would say though that you might be more comfortable on say Celebrity as this would attract a younger crowd.

Scottygirl1 makes a good point that regarding itinerary and timing's impact to the passenger demographics of the cruise. We were on a 10-day summer cruise and the average age was probably around 55, which I suspect is 5-10 years younger than the average O crowd. Even so, it was a bit stuffy. If you're not looking to be entertained on board but are looking for a relaxed atmosphere with well mannered, outgoing passengers, check into Star Clippers. (Their water sports options were great, too.) If you want entertainment, then I agree Celebrity may be a better choice.

Unless you like to entertain youself and relax. It is as Jim and Stan wrote dependent on what sort of personality you are.

Too the longer the cruise over 7 days the older the group because they have both money and time.

I would suggest , as others Celeb. ships, lots of bars, entertainment, activites and a geared to the 25-40 year old market. When I was that age I loved NCL !!

Also starting a notch or two below the top gives you something to aspire

to, after gaining more experience with your wants and needs aboad ships.

I think then you will appreciate the wait because then you will have a better grasp of whats of value to you.

Thank you all for the great feedback and advice!

We are not big partiers and more interested in the various stops. It would be nice to have some onboard entertainment options but looking at the itinerary of the typical O cruises, the ship pretty much makes a stop each day, so I am assuming I would be too tired from the offshore activities to party much. I actually still have Oceania on top of my list. Still looking into some other liners.

Any tips from past Oceania guests for a possible firstimer would be much appreciated. Thank you!

We're going on our first O cruise in 5 weeks and we are both 40 (well I'll be 41 by then!). We booked this knowing the average demographic and we are very much looking forward to our trip. We aren't party people and instead enjoy nice conversation over wine, regardless of anyone's age. I'm not looking for fantastic onboard entertainment...if I was I might have booked another line. We are very excited about the itinerary and the food/wine! Based on the port intensive itinerary we will probably be in bed early anyways! My 65-year-old mom and her friend are traveling with us...I bet they outdo us a couple of nights for sure (especially if there are any bachelors on board!)!

I am 42 and my wife is 33 and we just booked our 3rd Oceania Cruise.

Yes, it is a somewhat older crowd but by no means stuffy.

I would describe it as relaxed.

As long as you do not put the emphasis on entertainment and want to party all night you're fine.

Especially the food, almost no children and the amazing itineraries making us coming back to Oceania.

We've just got back from 10 days on the Regatta and after reading various threads on CC was expecting an 'older' crowd but were pleasantly surprised to find most ages (say 5yrs upwards). In fact I'd say it was the youngest crowd we've sailed with.

Our first Oceania cruise was on Regatta last year, down to the Amazon and back to Florida. On such a long cruise, the average age is in the sixties, maybe even higher. The itinerary, the relaxed atmosphere and the outstanding food are important to us. We booked the Riviera nexton a 10 day Caribbean itinerary with lots of port days. We are in our sixties, but such a cruise would also be perfect for our son and his wife in their thirties.

We have booked our first Oceania cruise on Marina for April 2013. I am 44 and my husband 48. We enjoy fine food and wine and a relaxed atmosphere (we are leaving our 3 kids at home!!!). We enjoy conversation with any age group. Looking forward to this upscale experience!

At 32 and 28, my husband and I will be pulling the average way down on our November cruise aboard the Regatta. We were drawn to the great food, the relaxed atmosphere, and the perfect Caribbean itinerary. As much as we do enjoy "spirited" cruising with friends on NCL (our usual line of choice), we're really looking forward to something different for our honeymoon. :)

I think the consensus is that all ages can be found on Oceania, the most prevalent being the "young at heart."

Well said!! Of all the Oceania cruises we have taken, little, if any, attention was paid to the "average age" of other passengers. Most, if not all, were interested in many of the attractions offered by Oceania - ports of interest, outstanding cuisine, attentive service and so on.

It did not seem to us to make a bit of difference - we found many interesting people on board, many of whom remain friends to this day!

My suggestion - don't make this such a "deal breaker" contactmc2 - make your choice on the itinerary, ports, sights and time of year.

Shorter cruises in the summer tend to attract younger folks - some of the older ones have the time to take winter voyages for longer periods. Go Enjoy!!!

Archived