thames_side

Back from cruise to Iceland, Faroes and Norway. Great itinerary with

fantastic scenery.

Doubt if we will return to Eclipse. Very smart ship, nice big cabins,

excellent snacks in the coffee shop but oh the noise. Loud taped music

everywhere, and the same tape every day. You can set your watch by each song

as it comes up again at the same time. The band when it plays in the atrium

has to have a mike for each instrument linked to the sound system so loud

that it shakes the walls all the way to the top (including in the library).

A band that size could fill the Albert Hall with sound with no amplification

at all. The sound in the theatre is only bearable with your hands over your

ears, but perhaps I'm oversensitive.

I guess in hot weather, perhaps in the Caribbean or the Canaries, you could

find a quiet spot somewhere on deck but on a dull or wet day, when everyone

is stuck inside, the only place to retreat to is the cabin.

Doug

fantastic scenery.

that it shakes the walls all the way to the top (including in the library).

A band that size could fill the Albert Hall with sound with no amplification

at all. The sound in the theatre is only bearable with your hands over your

ears, but perhaps I'm oversensitive.

I guess in hot weather, perhaps in the Caribbean or the Canaries, you could

find a quiet spot somewhere on deck but on a dull or wet day, when everyone

is stuck inside, the only place to retreat to is the cabin.

Doug

You echo my sentiments. I love the S-Class ships, but on a cool cruise where time at sea needs to be spent indoors the design flaws are more apparent. I found the same as you in April/May. Unfortunately I had serial door bangers in the cabin next to me so even there wasn't a refuge. They need to stop the piped music at the Lawn Club too!

Phil

Yes, we had the door bangers too. I think it is partly due to a problem with the door closers. To get it to close quietly you have to hang on to the handle and hold it back so it closes slowly, which any thoughtful person woud do.

I totally agree with you all since we also just got back from the same cruise. What I can't understand is why they have the music playing in the Ocean View Cafe early early in the morning before the cafe even opens up. Most people who are up at that time of the am don't want to listen to some type of piped in music. They want to peace and quiet of the morning without the useless music.

We also noticed that they had the piped in music out on deck 14 at the same time. WHY????

Also on days when it was to cloudy or windy to set out on deck(believe me, we tried) there are NO public places where you can sit quietly, with the exception of the Sky lounge.

At night the music in the atruim is so loud that the people at customer service can't hardly be heard. You have to almost yell over the noise.

fantastic scenery.

that it shakes the walls all the way to the top (including in the library)

Doug

I totally agree with you all since we also just got back from the same cruise. What I can't understand is why they have the music playing in the Ocean View Cafe early early in the morning before the cafe even opens up. Most people who are up at that time of the am don't want to listen to some type of piped in music. They want to peace and quiet of the morning without the useless music.

We also noticed that they had the piped in music out on deck 14 at the same time. WHY????

Hi,

As you probably noticed...Noise levels (music) have been a frequent topic here lately. Hopefully both of you posted your comments on the Questionnaires/Surveys...and it never hurts to send a follow-up letter/email directly to Celebrity Corporate.

Would hate to think that someone who loved the ship....and Celebrity...might not choose to cruise with them again, based solely on noise levels.

We loved the Eclipse, and quite honestly, I never noticed the volume levels of music/shows/bands etc.

Door Bangers...well, thats a different story. Will always be a problem on ships, in hotels, and other places...heck, it was a problem in the Office area where I used to work !!

Hope you reconsider...and try another Celebrity cruise in the future !!

Enjoy

Woody

We have been on Infinity and Constellation and found no sound problems to speak of.

In fact, compared to NCL, X is a relief. We have a cruise on the Solstice out of Australia in February, we will see how it goes there.

The joy at elimating flying from the U.K. when sailing on the Eclipse to the Canaries was completedly nullified by the sound that was megaphoned through the atrium up through the decks of the ship.

Found that even the library was no refuge as I believe that one side of the library is open to the atrium.

Vowed that we would never sail on that class of of ship again!

I have read several threads on the noise level and find it interesting that those most affected by it seem to be from the UK. I was on the same cruise as Phil, and the only time it bothered me was in the Martini Bar, where you could not have a conversation over the music. But the waiters were nice enough to turn it down when asked. I actually enjoyed the live music drifting up in the atrium. But I do understand how others could find it annoying.

Seems like Celebrity needs to LISTEN and tone it down!

I'm sure they have a way to manage the sound. Make sure you do all you can to inform the concierge staff, etc. On our recent Century cruise to Alaska, I enjoyed getting up early and exploring the decks before and during sunrise. Onr morning ,the outside sound system was blaring excessively loud music, and probably scaring the wildlife! I simply talked to the front desk and voila, a few minutes later the music was quiet. Speak up, and they will react, especially if you are a frequent cruiser. See the Captains Club Concierge or speak to the officers. I am sure they would resolve the problem.:)

Main cause of "door bangers" is people going in and out with the balcony door open. The suction due to the different air pressures can be really dangerous (to fingers or children for eg). I remember one time I forgot the balcony door was open and when I opened the hall door the handle was almost ripped out of my hand and every loose piece of paper etc was flying around the room! Scared the ........ out of me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To all of you who are asking "WHY" is Celebrity doing this..... Here is the answer:. To appeal to a younger generation who have grown up with walkmans, ipods, and now smartphones... constantly blaring music in their ears at all times.. They want, and NEED, loud pounding music following them wherever they go.. They do not appreciate, nor want, the tranquility and serenity of just being in the moment... with music merely acting as background ambiance... Instead, this pulsating loud music needs to be the main focus of whatever they do and wherever they are..

Celebrity recognizes this, and is now focusing their main attention on these groups of individuals so that they have new customers who will be on their ships for the next 50 years or so.

- Rick

To all of you who are asking "WHY" is Celebrity doing this..... Here is the answer:. To appeal to a younger generation who have grown up with walkmans, ipods, and now smartphones... constantly blaring music in their ears at all times.. They want, and NEED, loud pounding music following them wherever they go.. They do NOT appreciate, nor want, the tranquility and serenity of just being in the moment... with music merely acting as background ambiance.. Instead, this pulsating loud music needs to be the main focus of whatever they do and wherever they are..

Celebrity recognizes this, and is now focusing their main attention on these groups of individuals so that they have new customers who will be on their ships for the next 50 years or so.

- Rick

I thought Royal Caribbean catered for the younger customers. Strange if your comment is true as I have noticed that many retired passengers go on more cruises and therefore spend more money than youngsters with time for just one cruise a year.

We do not really consider ourselves as 'oldies' even though we are 63 and 73. We enjoy listening to our ipods/iphones and do not mind loudish music in theatres. We do however really hate the constant loud music on the Eclipse, it is insulting to call it music in the Martini and Molecular bars, it is tuneless noise just set to drive people away from these bars, and possibly the ship itself.

As you can see we are giving the ship one more chance as it was fabulous in every other way. If it is still noisy we will not rush to book again.

To all of you who are asking "WHY" is Celebrity doing this..... Here is the answer:. To appeal to a younger generation who have grown up with walkmans, ipods, and now smartphones... constantly blaring music in their ears at all times.. They want, and NEED, loud pounding music following them wherever they go.. They do not appreciate, nor want, the tranquility and serenity of just being in the moment... with music merely acting as background ambiance... Instead, this pulsating loud music needs to be the main focus of whatever they do and wherever they are..

- Rick

Our January 2012 cruise on the Solstice was far too noisy, horrible constant music in every public area, and in our opinion completely inappropriate to a relaxing vacation.

Frankly we were not pleased and told Celebrity so by letter. I believe in telling a business what we like, what we don't like, and giving them the opportunity to adjust to the feedback, or not. Their business, their call.

We also told them that on our Eclipse cruise scheduled for January 2013 if the noise level was not improved we would not be back to Celebrity.

My DW and I enjoy cruising, and we will continue to do so, but have no specific brand loyalty. If Celebrity won't meet our expectations, there are lots of other options.

Yes, we had the door bangers too. I think it is partly due to a problem with the door closers. To get it to close quietly you have to hang on to the handle and hold it back so it closes slowly, which any thoughtful person woud do.

It's exacerbated by the way the cabins are designed in tandem so the doors to these tandem cabins are right next to each other. It's a neat way of doing it to maximise use of space, but there is no insulation between them if doors are left to bang.

Phil

- Rick

The crazy thing is I am part of this generation. Had my first portable cassette player when I was 18, moved through to a CD Walkman and now love my iPod (and iPad) and listen to them frequently. As far as their need for constant sound Celebrity I feel are misguided and I have told them on my end of cruise questionnaires. The most irritating for me isn't necessarily the loudest. It's when you are up at the Lawn Club sitting on those chairs with the orange cushions by the Sunset Bar, listening to the sound of the wind and sea....and piped music from 11am. I thought I'd found a perfect spot at the very top of the stairs where there are a few more of those orange cushioned chairs and footstools and big open windows to the sea. Really comfortable for a nap. Except they are right by the elevators that constantly announce their arrival with a loud "bing".

Phil

Most likely the sound level depends on the cruise director...and I bet if we followed them, we would see a pattern emerge. Some focus on the few folks who play the games and party and not on the majority who are just trying to relax....of course it depends on the cruise.

It would be nice if Celebrity stopped playing the music everywhere on the ship...leave one or two areas without speakers blaring. Perhaps that's a suggestion for the new ceo.

A band that size could fill the Albert Hall with sound with no amplification at all.

Doug

Yes, but I always wondered how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

Hi Everyone,

We experienced the same situation on Eclipse in April, and I commented on it back then. Did it ruin our Cruise ? Absolutely not, but it was an annoyance. Not sure if it's currently the same music, but there was a constant beat most everywhere around the ship. Some folks referred to it as Techno. What I find interesting, is that several recent members have reported that Celebrity has dialed the music down on other X ships, but it seems the Eclipse team has not received the memo.

Let's hope Celebrity will read this thread, and take corrective action.

Might this not be something to bring to Mr. Bayley's attention ASAP ?

Hi Ischeer,

It was mentioned on Mr Bayley's thread. We can hope it will get his attention.

HATE! HATE! loud music.I like to read and also just walk around the ship.If I want loud music, I can bring my own and turn it up loud enough to blow my eardrums but not disturb others.Why not tell everyone to meet their own music needs as they all are individual choices.Do not understand why totally empty lounges have loud music blaring.Should be a quiet reading place.

That being said I would like to know which ships have quiet areas.I would like to book with a company that allows me a quiet place to read.Last year Infinity in Alaska was ridiculous with blaring music.Would not go back.

Please can we have a list of ships that have no music areas.

Thanks

We found the same on the Silhouette, but it was the pool area that drove me to distraction. When we originally booked Celebrity we were told it was a 'quieter cruise experience'. I HATE the music around the pool area in the afternoon ----- please leave me in peace ! Strangely it was Sipra this year who spent more time around the pool than performing inside at night. A shame as I generally like them when I'm at the Martini Bar.

Similarly, the music in the Ocean View Cafe (outside on the deck) in the morning over breakfast drives me mad ----- I wouldn't mind if it was half decent, but most of it sounded like someone strangling a cat.

And the acapella male quartet - don't get me started

Am trying not to sound snobbish, but on the day we got on the ship they had a string quartet playing for a short while ----- that was really nice, but we never heard them again ---

(that doesn't mean I'd want them with me at Breakfast or round the pool, though, but on that occasion it was lovely)

BUT - did it ruin our cruise ---------- no ! We turned it into a joke and joined in with some of it ! Back on Silhouette next August and will cope with the music if need be to be able to cruise on this stunning ship.

I don't think we'll find a perfect cruise anywhere so weigh up the pros and cons.

Archived