Hurricanes in November - what are the chances?

trident777

Cruising southern Caribbean on the Summit in mid November...while I do have travel insurance (which covers trip interruption) can anyone comment on the chances of a disruption due to adverse weather at this time of the year? I know nobody has a crystal ball but i'm just wondering if it is low risk or moderate risk. I'm also trying to figure out what exactly our contingency plan is going to be incase there is a tropical storm/hurricane in the area and we're not able to make the embarkation of the ship.

I'd like to have a Plan B ready to go just incase...

We're going on our 4th November Caribbean cruise. I did a bit of research on hurricanes in November and they are rare. Besides the ships usually just change course and go somewhere else if there's a storm. So worst case you may visit different islands.

We were on a Western Caribbean cruise in early November 1994 (my second cruise) and we were chased by a tropical storm the last few days. Hours after getting home in LA, the same day as disembarkation, we learned that the tropical storm became a hurricane and hit the area we had flown from.

An interesting topic that got me doing some research. Modern history shows us that there have only been 3 hurricanes in November!

Hank

There have only been three major (category three and above) in November in recent years, Kate in 1985, Lenny in 1999, and Paloma in 2008.

There have been more November hurricanes in total. You can see that from this chart, although I can't get an exact count from it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atlantic_November_hurricanes_BMNG.png

I was able to find three late November Category 1 hurricanes in recent years, Nicole in 1998, Olga in 2001, and Epsilon in 2005. These all formed in the last week of November, so it's rather likely there are more that formed if we looked at the entire month. (These three were relatively easy to find because they extended into December, so they were on the list of off-season hurricanes.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_off-season_Atlantic_hurricanes

Archived