Cell phone/ smart phone

Finkksta

Hello, I will be going on my second cruise in a couple months. When I went on my first cruise a few years ago my cell phone displayed the wrong time and the date was even off by many years. This time I have an iPhone and my boyfriend has a blackberry. Will our smart phones be smart enuff to keep the correct time?

My Blackberry does not update time when I change time zones. The iPhone will. However, the phones get this information from the cell towers. Phones don't just cross an invisible line and go "hey, I just crossed a time zone."

Now, for your phone to ping a tower means they have to be turned on and communicate. This means your phones are on and transmitting data. Therefore, expect to incur charges from the cruise line and whatever charges your provider charges.

Also if your phone is getting the time right (in contact with the cell tower) then you are also downloading all that junk mail, jokes, FB pictures etc. Can really drive the cost up. On the ships the internet comes in 2 speeds glacial and not at all. Better to use the internet cafe than have the additional charges to get signed in and your stuff downloaded if you want it or not.

We take a little flip phone and have the phone company activate the overseas ability to make calls. It is for one month with Verizon and you have to call and cancel it when you get home or you have the service until you do.

The 'Droid I use in wi fi mode and have gotten very creative in searching for open wi fi. Best was skipping JW Marriott's internet charge when I found the restaurant next door "covered" my room. Loved it.

I also vote for a cheap watch or little travel clock for your timely needs.

I didn't think about this.......I almost never wear a watch (iPhone is enough), but I'll bring one with me for cruising.

Heck, you are on vacation and will be spending a lot of time in the sun. Best to bring a sundial watch. It automatically adjusts for the local time zone.

Sundial_watch.JPG

My wife and I do cruises of 30+ days plus land so we are usually away from home up to 60 days. We never take a phone, iPad, iPod or any electronic devices except our digital camera and an eReader (which we don't connect to anything.) I'm on vacation - when I worked I left the office in capable hands and trusted my staff. Now that I don't work I don't really want to hear about my grandkids every week or what is going on in my kid's lives. If there is an emergency, they can phone the ship - but what are the odds I'm going to fly home from halfway around the world - zero! If the planet is invaded by aliens I'm sure I'll find out - other than that I've escaped and am enjoying myself.

My wife and I do cruises of 30+ days plus land so we are usually away from home up to 60 days. We never take a phone, iPad, iPod or any electronic devices except our digital camera and an eReader (which we don't connect to anything.) I'm on vacation - when I worked I left the office in capable hands and trusted my staff. Now that I don't work I don't really want to hear about my grandkids every week or what is going on in my kid's lives. If there is an emergency, they can phone the ship - but what are the odds I'm going to fly home from halfway around the world - zero! If the planet is invaded by aliens I'm sure I'll find out - other than that I've escaped and am enjoying myself.

Well,, aren't you special.

There is not one solution to the entire world population that works for everyone.

You don't need, want, or desire communications with the outside world? That's fine. That's what works for you.

On the other hand, please don't dare to presume that your solution works for me. That would be rude and disrespectful.

There is not one solution to the entire world population that works for everyone.

You don't need, want, or desire communications with the outside world? That's fine. That's what works for you.

On the other hand, please don't dare to presume that your solution works for me. That would be rude and disrespectful.

Jeeze! A bit sensitive, aren't we? Trainfan never said that his way was better than anyone else's, just that this is his preference. Since when is voicing a person's preferences, while at the same time not criticizing other people's when doing it, deserving of such a nasty response? :eek:

You desperately need some tolerance training! :rolleyes:

Jeeze! A bit sensitive, aren't we? Trainfan never said that his way was better than anyone else's, just that this is his preference. Since when is voicing a person's preferences, while at the same time not criticizing other people's when doing it, deserving of such a nasty response? :eek:

You desperately need some tolerance training! :rolleyes:

Thanks SantaFeFan - as you said, I was just indicating my preference and my desire to, dare I say it, "Escape Completely" and simplify my life. Having been in a position of on call 24/7 for the last 10 years of my working life I consider myself so very fortunate to be able to leave that behind. I recognize that many people are not able leave responsibilities behind and as long they follow good etiquette i.e., don't carry on loud phone conversations in a common area used for reading I really don't care if they carry their office with them. I have played Trivia with a university professor who continued teaching her business course using on-line course-ware while on a month long cruise - I thought she was amazing - she used technology to be able to vacation with her husband. Mind you I wouldn't want her Internet bill!

Hmmm......why have a phone at all?

Because not all of my trip is spent on a ship in the middle of the ocean; in fact, not all of my trip is spent out of the country.

Because you may have been able to leave the office in the good hands of trusted staff, but not all of us have jobs that allow us to do that (I'm a private contractor with no staff, and rely on short term contracts that arrive by email and telephone).

Because my "phone" is a smartphone that does much more than act as a phone: it's a foreign language phrasebook, it's a compass, it's an alarm clock (at least when the clock part is working), it's a notebook, it's a travel guide, it's maps of the Lisbon, Madrid, and Barcelona subway systems, it's a flashlight, it's photos of my family, and it's a camera (not a good camera, but it will do in a pinch). Oh, and it's games that aren't as good as an e-reader, but will also do in a pinch......playing Scrabble at dinner is a nice diversion.

Having my iPhone doesn't detract from my enjoyment, it just means I carry a lot of handy tools in one small package.

edited to add: I'd love a wrist sundial! What a conversation piece.

I agree with some others that I think, klfrodo, that your post was a bit rude and disrespectful. Nowhere did trainfan say his way was best. He just said that is what worked for him. Nowhere did he say it had to work for you. Better read a little bit closer before you get sarcastic.

I too don't feel the need to keep in touch with the rest of my world when I am on vacation. I will check emails just to make sure our catsitter doesn't need us for something but that's about it. I know this isn't the case with everyone and everyone has to do what is best for them. And I'm not "presuming" that is good for anyone else but me.

I too use my iPhone for more then calls texts and emails. It's my alarm flashlight mirror dictionary and I love to have google at my finger tips also I'm addicted to spider solitaire. Also it's great that I use the camera on my phone so I can upload them to fb in two seconds.

Love the sundial watch! Is it accurate? Do you use it? Lol

I too use my iPhone for more then calls texts and emails. It's my alarm flashlight mirror dictionary and I love to have google at my finger tips also I'm addicted to spider solitaire. Also it's great that I use the camera on my phone so I can upload them to fb in two seconds.

Love the sundial watch! Is it accurate? Do you use it? Lol

I'm not addicted to spider solitaire but I am in the 70,000 games range on this computer alone. I also love hearts except for the old nasty queen. My new one is the addiction to slot machines -- too bad because I will never again be able to play slots for real again. No caution to throw down a bet of several HUNDRED thousand dollars on a single spin:p Do that in real I would be scrubbing the dishes in the kitchen for sure. The only rule in real life is NEVER buy points. Thankfully so many give aways can just play a different game. I use my smart phone for lots of things if I am SMART and have some battery power left (usually my phone is on in the purse and no way it has juice leftover. ) Oh well you can carry a smartphone but it does not make you smart (or rich or less lost!)

I have an app on my phone called 'shipmate.' You can do all sorts of fun things with the app while onboard and in airplane mode. (Mine is for Princess cruises) I can pull up a floor by floor map of the ship so I can find out where I am at the beginning of the cruise and not familiar with the ship. There is a place to put in new friend's email and addresses. (Although this is only saved until you update the app - *WARNING*) (Lost all my new contacts for my last cruise because I didn't download them to another source after the cruise.) You can plan your day, leave notes about what you did so you can still keep your travel log. . . It was a good app to get. Except for the one flaw!:o

I have an app on my phone called 'shipmate.' You can do all sorts of fun things with the app while onboard and in airplane mode. (Mine is for Princess cruises) I can pull up a floor by floor map of the ship so I can find out where I am at the beginning of the cruise and not familiar with the ship. There is a place to put in new friend's email and addresses. (Although this is only saved until you update the app - *WARNING*) (Lost all my new contacts for my last cruise because I didn't download them to another source after the cruise.) You can plan your day, leave notes about what you did so you can still keep your travel log. . . It was a good app to get. Except for the one flaw!:o

Thanks for the tip! I just downloaded this app. on my new Pantech Crossover. I'm new the the android world and apps. The Shipmate app is facinating! It looks like it will be very helpful on our CCL Miracle cruise next wk!;)

I didn't think about this.......I almost never wear a watch (iPhone is enough), but I'll bring one with me for cruising.

Me either, but my last cruise I found a little Dora the explorer watch on sale for $2. It looked pretty awesome wrapped around my beach bag strap!

Archived