"Expensive" Australia: True or False

room010

We see a lot of comments about how "expensive" it is to visit, particularly restaurant and accommodation prices. I'm sure US visitors who visited before when the US dollar exchange rate was very much in their favour do notice a difference and of course there will always be cheapskates who resent paying a realistic price for anything but is it really so much more expensive in Australia than elsewhere in the world or is it just a perception? I think our No Tipping culture probably does make "up front" costs appear higher when eating out for example but maybe there's another explanation or maybe it really is an expensive holiday?

I think when you are a visitor to anyplace it is far more expensive than at "home". When you are in familiar territory you know where to shop, where to stay and where to eat reasonably. When you are a tourist you are steered to tourist places and prices. US visitors are used to visiting places like the Caribbean and Mexico which are quite inexpensive as are the cruises there. By comparison our local cruises are expensive and the circumnavigate Australia ones very expensive. Sydney can be one of the most expensive cities in the world to book a hotel room...if you don't know the perks of getting a cheaper room.

We should all be interested in encouraging visitors to our shores...cruise critic posters can help with suggestions of things to see (lots of great places in Sydney are free) how to book reasonable hotel accommodation and places to eat.

Please don't resort to name calling we don't like it when people assume our "no tipping" culture is because we are mean spirited or cheap.

There have been posts from visitors who used our suggestions and found out they could have a great time here without spending a fortune.

Sue

We visited in February and March, staying in Sydney 3 days pre-cruise, 1 day post-cruise. In addition, we hit 15 different ports in Australia and New Zealand. In general, yes, we found prices more expensive than we're used to, and we live near San Diego in a relatively high cost-of-living area. Hotels, restaurant food and wine (even after adjusting for tips), clothing, grocery store and pharmacy items were all higher than what we usually pay at home. We stay in hotels in many cities all over the USA and sometimes eat in the hotel restaurants, but nothing prepared us for the 'sticker shock' of our first lunch in our Sydney hotel dining room. We didn't eat there again, but at the time, were too exhaused by our 15 hour flight to go anywhere else.

Part of the discrepancy is probably due to the fact that at home we know where to go for best prices on everything and don't have any transportation difficulties getting there. We were prepared for the costs, so don't regret spending what we did on one of our "bucket list" trips. It truly was a trip of a lifetime and we have many priceless memories of beautiful places and people.

One tip for others planning a trip: We managed to save quite a bit by accumulating hotel reward points prior to our trip, which then paid for our hotel stays.

This is an area that really concerns me, having visited UK and France last year and finding fruit and vegetables much cheaper and fresher than here in Sydney.

And on Saturday I was not impressed when we visited Liverpool Hospital to meet a new grandchild for the first time. Parked in the hospital car park for 2 hours 5 minutes - cost $18 !

I reckon we will drive tourists away unless we smarten up our act.

As others have said 'you need to know where to go' yes the big hotel dining rooms are expensive (even to us Aussies) but there is a good range of foods in Sydney and Melbourne and if you look then you can find - there is so much competition in these 2 cities. Darwin is more expensive but I guess it is so far from so much but still a great place to visit.

Sorry about the other major cities it has been a while since I explored them.

Our country towns, might be a little expensive but normally food and accommodation is provided with care and just like being at home in many of them however there is some cost.

It is not our fault that the exchange rates are so bad for overseas visitors - they are also bad for Australia in many ways.

I think Sydney is a bit of a law unto itself in many ways and it's certainly more expensive than other major cities, including Melbourne and that's not just because I am biased :). Tourism took a hit after the GFC from which Australia was largely spared (more luck than judgment) and the strong Aussie dollar adds to the pain for sure. I agree that our tourist "industry" does need a wake up call from its current complacency and respect the fact that nearly all our visitors have to invest a lot of time and money to even get here. The Tyranny Of Distance and all that. Of course it's worth the effort but I do think there's a degree of price gouging going on which most certainly isn't the Australian Way! But as long as people, locals and visitors, continue to pay through the nose then nothing will change. It's only when we venture overseas that we realise that what we consider "normal" prices are nothing of the sort.

We did a QLD coastal cruise in 2010 and couldn't believe how much we were spending in ports.

We had lunch at a pub in Port Douglas and for the four of us to eat & have two drinks each (2 only drinking soft drinks) it cost us approx $200.

We went to a Koala Sanctuary in Kuranda and paid $48 to get in, then paid $16 for each of the 2 kids to have a photo taken holding one and were only in there for 15mins as there was really nothing else to see.

We enjyed that cruise and glad we did it but we certainly won't be doing it again.

We have travelled extensively overseas the last six years and have just booked a cruise from Fremantle (our home state) to Sydney.

We have always used both ship tours and private tours and have been fairly generous at putting money into the places that we have visited.

For this cruise I started planning tours and outings at the various ports and I have to say I am Gobsmacked at the extortionate pricing, truly appalled!!

We live here and realise first hand how much more expensive we are than anywhere else we have travelled, but I guess we have gotten complacent (as we have no other option).

We are travelling with overseas friends and I am honestly embarrassed at how dear things are in my own country.

So, yes, we think Australia IS expensive, however, there is nowhere in the world I would rather be.

:)

We were in the UK a few weeks back and noticed how much cheaper groceries and (certain) clothes were than here in Australia. Let's just say we had to pay a little excess luggage on the domestic flight home to Adelaide once we arrived back in Melbourne.:D But food is definitely a lot fresher and a lot cheaper in the UK.:)

I think the currency is the main issue. Go back 7 years or more, when it was much lower, and Europe and the US were always so expensive so were once only trips if any for most people. Of course, for those coming here it was much more affordable.

Now our currency is up - and the US and Euro currencies are down. Even the Norwegian krone is a bit weaker in comparison. To an international traveller, I would agree that it is moving Australia to the expensive end of the world. Moscow is still ridiculously expensive for most things (though supermarket food can be a little cheaper) but even there aside from hotels our prices aren't that different.

We've just come back from a month in Europe (July) and yes, Australia is very expensive! In Europe we could eat at a nice restaurant, two or three courses, and a bottle of wine for around 40 euros. The same meal here would cost around $70.

We looked at real estate while we were there. We realised we could afford to buy a Chateau in France!

I would love to live in France.

We travelled to Europe in 1986 and it was so expensive we could only afford to eat basics from the supermarket. Eating at restaurants was way too expensive.

Something has flipped - it isn't just the Australian dollar - but somehow now, Australian retailers expect us to pay much more for things, than they do overseas.

I dont agree with the "get what you pay for" to rationalise Australia's high prices. France Spain and Italy are stunning countries. No wonder Australian tourism is going down the toilet when people think they can charge tourists what they like, even Australian tourists. Why do you think overseas travel for Australians is booming!

True. Australia has always been more expensive.

I've travelled overseas and had overseas visitors visit Australia for over 40 years, and all visitors have commented how expensive Australia is (even when staying for free with me).

In the wonderful days of two suitcases each, I used to come home with eight suitcases full of all our linen, towels, clothes, shoes, slippers etc. at a fraction of the price I would have paid here.

As one of my US friends said, when she saw the cost of sheet sets, "Do they think you are all millionaires?"

Of course, now most things everywhere are made in China, so the prices should be closer, but they are not.

On my most recent trip, I bought quality clothes in London and shoes, made in England, much cheaper than I could buy the equivalent here.

We have the population in our entire country that you might find in one city or state in the USA.

I never heard my American friends complain when the Aussie dollar 50 US cents, but I found the US very expensive then, now the shoe is on the other foot and I go to the US at least once a year to do my clothes shopping.

Yes some things are expensive but we have a much higher standard of living, better social support systems, we are the same physical size of the USA but lack the competitive benefits that come from a large population.

Be sure you are comparing apples with apples.

In the US and Europe you constantly have additional % age charges on your food and accommodation costs, then are expected to tip on top of that . As Aussies we get sick to death of continually having our hand in our pocket tipping everyone under the Sun in the US and Europe.

Whereas in Australia the price you see and pay is it . No add on % charges, no tips expected . (This is because in Australia hospitality staff are paid an adequate wage that they can live off , whereas in other parts of the world the staff depend on the tipping to achieve a total wage that they can survive on .)

Two different models, so be sure you are comparing the total cost you normally pay including all the on costs and inevitable tips.

Aside from that YES Sydney is a VERY expensive city by world standards. But you can find cheaper Hotels (stay away from the big International chains), and seek out smaller Cafes and Bistros than top shelf restaurants on the harbour where you pay for indifferent food and what is indeed a world class view . Secondly there is a lot of Australia other than Sydney that is a lot less expensive .

We see a lot of comments about how "expensive" it is to visit, particularly restaurant and accommodation prices. I'm sure US visitors who visited before when the US dollar exchange rate was very much in their favour do notice a difference and of course there will always be cheapskates who resent paying a realistic price for anything but is it really so much more expensive in Australia than elsewhere in the world or is it just a perception? I think our No Tipping culture probably does make "up front" costs appear higher when eating out for example but maybe there's another explanation or maybe it really is an expensive holiday?

I have just returned from USA in June and the prices in Perth made me want to fly straight back to USA!

Costs in the USA are reasonable for everything and in most cases darn right cheap,hotels food drink everything!

Even with tipping in USA, prices are nowhere near as high as Australia Australia is just way too expensive for the majority of O/S visitors.

Most big cities in the world are expensive but leave the city and prices drop,in Australia they usually go up.

I will not holiday in Australia,even with the extra overseas airfare it works out cheaper to holiday elsewhere.

Greed is all it is.

Den

Perth is not only the most isolated city in the world - I reckon it's the most expensive. It was cheaper in London, hotels, meals, sight seeing everything. The best thing about Perth is the road out :rolleyes:

We are used to the cost of living here - but when it comes to holidays - overseas we go. It's cheaper. We can get to London and back for a little more than a return flight to Melbourne. Crazy. It was the trip to the UK that opened our eyes, expected it to cost a fortune....came back with money. So much so - I don't know that I would pay for a meal out here anymore - costs a fortune to eat out at a "good" (by interpretation) restaurant. Try booking a hotel here during the week - costs a fortune due to the fly in fly out's.

I feel for visitors coming here. Goes to show not all bandits wear masks.

I enjoy living here, and I can clever shop - but then I'm a local:p

Not saying Oz isnt expensive (it is) but if you were living in London or the USA you would be getting paid in local currency at local rates. That would change your perspective. You could always suggest that wages in aus could drop so that you can get your latte's cheaper.

Perth isn't really a fair comparison as the whole economy is booming and there's a lot of highly paid people with high disposable incomes. There is also the element of logistics as more or less everything has to be shipped, flown or trucked in which of course affects the cost of living (and holidays).

I have lived in all capital city's in Australia.

I went back to Perth several weeks back and a pint of beer which is not a pint was about $10 and $20 worth of food wasn't. A pub hamburger was $30. A Pub lunch for 4 with a beer each - cost $189, cooked dinner on a BBQ and purchased a carton of stubbies total cost $76.

I unfortunately have to go to Perth for a wedding at the end of September. We are staying in a one bed room apartment about 30 klms north of the city centre reason for that is the local caravan park cost the same price for an onsite van.

Sydney and Melbourne have good ranges of accommodation and food prices.

As stated earlier the best part of Perth will be seeing it in the rear view mirror.

Canada is far more expensive than USA and you still have to tip.

You don't have to tip in Europe - it is not expected and in Italy for one, is resented and is ruining the local economy.

Europe is a cheap place to visit and so is UK ATM.

I think the high Australian prices are driving people to the internet for purchases and to the backyard veggie patch.

Archived