Celebrity San Juan Policy

neverbeenhere

I was under the impression that if you have already checked in, you must be onboard for the muster drill the first night. If you are arriving on a later plane, you must be there before the 90 mins pre-sailing (although I know they have made exceptions to this when planes are late). Is that incorrect? I seem to remember the sign that tells you when you must return to the ship being sometime around 4:30-5:30, although I can't remember the exact time. I remember being dismayed that it was so early when the ship sails much later, but I think they do that in consideration of the early dining passengers.

We have to eat at The Parrot Club in OSJ at least one night per trip.

Where is this Parrot Club? We are arriving a day before embarking and will be looking for a good place to eat in OSJ. Sounds like you must really like it!

This is very interesting info about a second muster taking place the morning after embarking...never knew they did that! I always thought there was only the one before sailing and attendance was mandatory!

Cathy

In San Juan, they make extra allowances for late flights and if someone arrives breathless to the ship, moments before the 90 minute deadline, they certainly aren't going to deny them boarding just because the muster drill has already taken place :) Actually, this is the case anywhere there is a late sail time. And they do a make-up drill for anyone who for whatever reason skipped the first drill. Yes, it does happen, even with the drill being mandatory. While all bars and services are closed during the drill, and personnel walk the ship and shoo everyone into their muster stations, sometimes someone fails to show up for the drill (where are they hiding? I have no idea.) So a make-up drill is scheduled for the latecomers and those who missed the first one.

In San Juan, they make extra allowances for late flights and if someone arrives breathless to the ship, moments before the 90 minute deadline, they certainly aren't going to deny them boarding just because the muster drill has already taken place :) Actually, this is the case anywhere there is a late sail time. And they do a make-up drill for anyone who for whatever reason skipped the first drill. Yes, it does happen, even with the drill being mandatory. While all bars and services are closed during the drill, and personnel walk the ship and shoo everyone into their muster stations, sometimes someone fails to show up for the drill (where are they hiding? I have no idea.) So a make-up drill is scheduled for the latecomers and those who missed the first one.

Thanks, Cruisestitch, for your quick reply! That's good info to have in case we end up dropping our luggage, doing the checkin and then going back out to enjoy a few more hours. Of course, once we're onboard we'll probably be too excited to leave the ship and will just stay onboard:D

Cathy

Actually if you've already checked in for your cruise and have your seapass photo done you only need to be back on board 30 minutes prior to sailing like the it would be for a port call. Concerning the muster drill they will have another one, usually the next morning, for those who miss the typical 5 or 5:30PM one because of late arriving or touring. We've sailed out of SJ six times and have done this at least twice.

We will be doing a B2B and want to tour on the disembarkation/embarkation day. Any idea of the approximate time of the morning makeup muster? Unless it is zero dark thirty, I'll be in no rush to get back to the ship for a 5:30 pm muster.

We will be doing a B2B and want to tour on the disembarkation/embarkation day. Any idea of the approximate time of the morning makeup muster? Unless it is zero dark thirty, I'll be in no rush to get back to the ship for a 5:30 pm muster.

It's been a few years and cruises since we did this in SJ so I can't recall the exact time but I believe it was around 9:30am the morning of the first full day onboard which was a sea day. This could change depending on the ship's itinerary.

I still have the Celebrity Today dailies from our X Century Hawaii to Ensenada cruise last winter. The first night the ship stayed in the embarkation port, Honolulu and the regular muster was at 9am the next day or first morning onboard after embarking. If you missed that drill due to late arrival or being off the ship for sightseeing, we left the ship at 7:30am, there was a make-up drill at 8:15pm that evening.

There may be a make up drill later in the evening after embarkation has stopped for those who miss the earlier regular drill since there is a port stop the first day on that itinerary.

It could be still done the first morning as St. Croix isn't a tour intense port. On our cruise with that itinerary most passengers just wandered about Fredericksted as there was some shopping, an interesting fort, a few bars for cheap beers and a nice beach at that port. I still have my daily bulletins from that X Summit cruise but I don't see a make up drill listed for either the embarkation or St. Croix days. I recall on one of our cruises those who had missed the muster drill had to sign a form stating that they had watched the muster drill presentation on one of the ship channels using their cabin TV but can't recall if this was on X.

Like you mentioned you will find out what is required once you are onboard.

No problem:)......and you are right, I would never walk anywhere

from this Pier...definitely not "pedestrian friendly":eek:

It goes through a very high crime rate area. There are also buses that go to OSJ but their schedule is unpredictable.

If they have Muster at 5-5:30 and you have 6:00 dining time, do they still expect you to make dinner on time? Or is dinner the first night not in the MDR?

Andrea

Yes, dinner is still in the MDR at its usual time. Don't worry - it is no issue. When our kid was young we always had early seating and we never had an issue getting to our table after the drill. You will find that the first night, early dining in particular, tends to be a bit more casual than other nights as not everyone may even have their luggage yet. Not saying you should skirt the dress rules if you get your luggage on time (which you most likely will) but if you arrive to the ship late you might not have everything you need. It will all work out - have a great trip1

If they have Muster at 5-5:30 and you have 6:00 dining time, do they still expect you to make dinner on time? Or is dinner the first night not in the MDR?

Andrea

Hi Andrea:) yes, dinner is in the main dining room on the first night.

Normally Muster doesn't take more than 20 minutes and you no longer

need to bring your life jackets.

Archived