Royal Caribbean Sexist

magenta321

I love Royal, and they're the only line I sail. But something really bugs me about Royal. They're completely sexist!

I am the one who organizes, plans, and arranges all of our travel plans in my family. My name always is listed first on all the travel plans, because I made the arrangements.

Why then does Royal send all mailings, both snail and email to my husband? He doesn't read them. He doesn't make purchasing decisions. It is totally lost on him.

I've tried to notify Royal of our preference, but as recently as Tuesday, Royal sent him an email about our upcoming cruise. My husband hadn't bothered to open it. Had I not looked over his shoulder and noticed it, Royal's email would have been unread and buried in his inbox.

Why do they assume the male will be doing the vacation planning? And why is there no place to state our preferences?

Can you ask you DH to just give you anything about cruising?

Yes, I could, but that's not my point at all.

I realize I'm not Royal Caribbean's #1 customer, but I am a good one. Just a little acknowledgment of that (in the form of communicating with ME, their actual customer) would be great.

For example, I'm not Coach's best customer either, but I've been a good one. If I walk in to their store, and I buy something, even if it's for my husband, I will get a hand-written "thank you" note as a follow up. I will get other notes and special coupons throughout the year that I know many other customers don't get.

They make a big deal about status with Royal. I'm Platinum now. I don't think I'm special. I don't think I need a letter hand-written from someone at RC. I just want them to acknowledge ME as their customer. Send me whatever important information there is about my upcoming cruise. Send me your deals. Acknowledge that *I* am your customer.

My husband forwarded me that email this morning, and due to whatever technical difficulties my husband's email is having (it's not connecting to the server, which is why this email from 9/11 was still "on top") I still haven't received it. Yes, when my husband and I get home from work, if I think of it, I can look at the email in his account. But my point is, 2 days (or more by the time I see it) later I will just get this important info filtered to me... and only by chance.

I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way. I hope Royal Caribbean will get with the times and realize that either gender can plan vacations. Maybe they should ASK who the primary contact should be? Or maybe they should take a clue from whose credit card paid for the trip (not as good of a rule, but even still, if they did that, they'd be contacting ME).

I have this issue with many companies, especially when joint accounts are in play, but doesn't RCCL have only one one email for you?

Snail mail I can understand the annoyance, but all RCCL reservations are done under my email address, they've never gotten a chance to get one from DH. I'm not even sure he has a login. Can you change his address to yours so there is only one?

Can you log into his Crown & Anchor membership online & change his contact email address to yours? That way any mail sent to him will go into your inbox & he won't get anything to ignore :)

He's never even made an account online!!! That's how NOT their customer he is.

How do they know your husbands email address unless you have provided it as part of your booking, surely you provided your email and therefore contact about that booking would come to you ?

I am not sure where they have it. I don't give out his info when making the booking, but I am pretty sure it has come up in past cruises when you fill in the forms for the cruise docs that it asks for emails for both people.

I don't mind them contacting him, I mind them only contacting him.

Definitely seems like a strange business practice to me as well. I make all of the vacation decisions in the house but when the email came through about our upcoming cruise to my email address (because I gave them the same address for both myself and my husband), it had my husband's name on it. Why??? No idea. I was the one who called and made the reservations and told them the contact information but they immediately put his name on the email. Just seems strange. You would think they would ask who to send all the information to about the reservation or if you want it sent to everyone listed on the reservation.

I love Royal, and they're the only line I sail. But something really bugs me about Royal. They're completely sexist!

I am the one who organizes, plans, and arranges all of our travel plans in my family. My name always is listed first on all the travel plans, because I made the arrangements.

Why then does Royal send all mailings, both snail and email to my husband? He doesn't read them. He doesn't make purchasing decisions. It is totally lost on him.

I've tried to notify Royal of our preference, but as recently as Tuesday, Royal sent him an email about our upcoming cruise. My husband hadn't bothered to open it. Had I not looked over his shoulder and noticed it, Royal's email would have been unread and buried in his inbox.

Why do they assume the male will be doing the vacation planning? And why is there no place to state our preferences?

Interesting - while my wife and I share the effort, our situation is typically the opposite. My name may appear on the travel plans, and the C & A # usually in use is mine, however most regular and emails come to her (or we will both get them). But that doesn't bother me - we typically joke about it.

Coming from someone who deals with IT day in and day out...

This has absolutely nothing to do with RCCL being "sexist" and everything to do with mailings being done by a computer. You gave them his email address at some point, and since (as you point out) he's never signed up on the site, then the email is attached to your account. The system has no idea that he's the male and should get the emails. It just sees an email address and mails it out.

RCCL makes. I too plan everything. We are both C&A members though. But my DH never gets anything pertaining to a booked cruise. He gets typical emails from them, but not regarding a booking.

I'm sure it's frustrating, but you had to have given it to them at some point. They couldn't just search all over until they found an email for your DH. They would send it to the one on the booking.

Maybe call them and ask them why they have that email as a point of contact and get them to change it.

This has absolutely nothing to do with RCCL being "sexist" and everything to do with mailings being done by a computer. You gave them his email address at some point, and since (as you point out) he's never signed up on the site, then the email is attached to your account. The system has no idea that he's the male and should get the emails. It just sees an email address and mails it out.

I understand that the computer is just using its database of contact details to contact people and that confusion can occur in this respect. What grinds my gears is that I just booked my first cruise with Royal Caribbean and the day after I got an email addressed to "Nick". I am female and my name is Nikki (not short for anything - that is the full and proper spelling which I entered at all stages of booking because funnily enough I know how to spell my own name). So clearly there must be an element of manual data entry/checking done at some point where things can clearly go awry.

My wife has never been on the RCCL website, she never does any of the planning or admin work for the trip. All the correspondence comes to her and on our last trip she had to be the one checking us in with her credit card and all. Sexist? I don't think so. I really don't care, it makes no difference but it is kinda funny. I remember when I was in the USAF and I was 23 and she was 22 were had only been married about 2 years and I applied for a Sears credit card and I was turned down. I was employed and my wife was a stay at home wife. She applied and she got the card. Sexist? I don know. Who knows what takes place, but to say RCCL is sexist is kinda wierd.

I would have to believe you are correct. While it may be frustrating to the OP, I hardly beleve that it is the result of some intentional decision or corporate culture. It is driven by a computer database. I think it's a bit overstated to say that "they are completely sexist". Again, as said before, my situation typically is the opposite where my wife often gets the emails, which is OK with me. But hopefully the OP can get this worked out.

It's funny because both my DW and my C&A account are tied to my email address and 90% of what they send as advertisements or pre-cruise information gets directed to her. It comes to my email so I know.

I'm the one who plans and coordinates everything and am listed first on all documents.

It would seem maybe they are less sexist and more incompetent in the IT department than even we realize. ;)

I was wondering this same thing a couple of days ago. I have made all the travel arrangements and my name is first on the reservation, but Royal sends emails adressed to him but to MY email address. He could care less too! I told him that they keep sending him emails about our fabulous cruise and he just shruggs!! :rolleyes:

So far the emails have been rather unimportant so I usually just delete them.

Archived