Royal Caribbean Sexist

magenta321

I have the same exact issue!! But here's where I noticed the change, previously I booked my RCCL Cruises directly from their website (all under my name, my email address etc.). All my emails/correspondence were directed to me. Except this year's cruise we ended up using a PVP at RCCL, next thing I know all the emails are being sent to my DH's name and my email address. I emailed C&A and they said they switched my name back to my email address, it was fixed for a few emails - however I noticed this week they're still sending to my DH through my email. I went through C&A website and confirmed my name is associated with my email address... Strange!

It's funny I noticed this thread this morning...just received an email from RCI "New ship enhancements, Pinterest page and more!" and it was sent to my DW. They're soooo sexist against men!!! :mad:;):p

Yeah I found this thread intersting too, my DW gets everything. :D

I also HIGHLY doubt this is a sexist thing. How would they even know your genders? It's possible that you both are getting emails, but for whatever reason, they are ending up in your spam box. Or perhaps his email is first, alphabetically. Or perhaps its arbitrary. Now, if your sea pass only said Mrs. Husband'sname LastName regardless of asking to change it to your own name, maybe you'd have a teeny point. When you leave things up to computers, they would either be consistently sexist(clearly not the case based on this thread) or entirely arbitrary.

I am not sure where they have it. I don't give out his info when making the booking, but I am pretty sure it has come up in past cruises when you fill in the forms for the cruise docs that it asks for emails for both people.

I don't mind them contacting him, I mind them only contacting him.

Well somebody did at some time. Computer generated notices are not sent to any email they have not been given and machines are not gender friendly nor biased:rolleyes: Call them and tell them all future emails are to be directed to your email. I don't know which one of you gave them this email, but it happened. Probably when you signed him up in C&A.

I also make all reservations with them and every reservation has my name as the owner and emails come only to my address.....because that's the one I gave them initially back in 2004.

Same thing here with my husband as the first contact even though I am the ressie "owner". I have about 5 more RC cruises than him. Oh well, when I sailed and PAID for my 21 yo daughter this past May, she got the emails, she was listed first on the documents and she still gets the follow up surveys.

Princess does this too. He is Captain's Circle 123A and I am 123B. What evs!

Coming from someone who deals with IT day in and day out...

This has absolutely nothing to do with RCCL being "sexist" and everything to do with mailings being done by a computer. You gave them his email address at some point, and since (as you point out) he's never signed up on the site, then the email is attached to your account. The system has no idea that he's the male and should get the emails. It just sees an email address and mails it out.

It's always good to see the correct, factual answer to these alleged RCL practices. We should all remember with using computers, "stuff in - stuff out". Insert your own definition of "stuff" !!! ;)

It's funny I noticed this thread this morning...just received an email from RCI "New ship enhancements, Pinterest page and more!" and it was sent to my DW. They're soooo sexist against men!!! :mad:;):p

You and me both, Ed. I NEVER get e-mails from RCI, yet I am the one who does ALL the booking and paying. DW does get e-mails. Those sexist pigs!!!

Mailings come in both our names.

You and me both, Ed. I NEVER get e-mails from RCI, yet I am the one who does ALL the booking and paying. DW does get e-mails. Those sexist pigs!!!

Mailings come in both our names.

We're in the same boat Paul. My wife couldn't care less about the cruise until it's almost time to go. But all those pre-cruise countdown emails are addressed to her. I'm the one planning, booking, logging into "My Cruises" to see the countdown clock! Then when the cruise is over they send her the post-cruise surveys and discount offers.

They even have Barbie themed rooms now...they must hate men! :cool:

[quote name='SpeedGeek']Coming from someone who deals with IT day in and day out...

This has absolutely nothing to do with RCCL being "sexist" and everything to do with mailings being done by a computer. You gave them his email address at some point, and since (as you point out) he's never signed up on the site, then the email is attached to your account. The system has no idea that he's the male and should get the emails. It just sees an email address and mails it out.[/quote]

It's called garbage in - garbage out. They're machines not people.

[quote name='magenta321']I love Royal, and they're the only line I sail. But something really bugs me about Royal. They're completely sexist!

I am the one who organizes, plans, and arranges all of our travel plans in my family. My name always is listed first on all the travel plans, because I made the arrangements.

Why do they assume the male will be doing the vacation planning? And why is there no place to state our preferences?[/quote]

It is not only RCCL that is living somewhere in the 17th century. I have found this to be the case on all cruiselines.

What makes it especially aggravating is that I never changed my name after marriage and use my credit card for payment. Yet everything on board and any other correspondence is always in his surname.

[quote name='leaveitallbehind']Interesting - while my wife and I share the effort, our situation is typically the opposite. My name may appear on the travel plans, and the C & A # usually in use is mine, however most regular and emails come to her (or we will both get them). But that doesn't bother me - we typically joke about it.[/QUOTE]

I have this exact same situation. DW gets three to four emails for every one I receive from RCL. I'm not saying she's lucky (thanks to Gmail's Bulk folder), but it is funny that I'm the one who plans everything and they send more stuff to her. This is a strange question, but could it have anything to do with the age of the person on the booking? DW is slightly older than I am, but alphabetically I'm first, so I wonder if it's age related.

Although this isn't crusie related, but last March, we bought a new car which I drive, DH has his truck, but all notifications, maintenance etc get emailed to him yet I am the driver. I have gone unto the Web site and tried to change the email to mine and drop his, but they still email him the alerts. Anything cruise related I get all the emails, brochures, because I have always booked our cruises and am the primary name for RCL or Princess.

[quote name='magenta321']I love Royal, and they're the only line I sail. But something really bugs me about Royal. They're completely sexist!

I am the one who organizes, plans, and arranges all of our travel plans in my family. My name always is listed first on all the travel plans, because I made the arrangements.

Why then does Royal send all mailings, both snail and email to my husband? He doesn't read them. He doesn't make purchasing decisions. It is totally lost on him.

[/quote]

Interesting. I am a female, make arrangements for my husband and myself. I gave them only one e-mail, the same for both, one address and one phone number. All correspondence comes to me.

Why then does Royal send all mailings, both snail and email to my husband? He doesn't read them. He doesn't make purchasing decisions. It is totally lost on him.

I've tried to notify Royal of our preference, but as recently as Tuesday, Royal sent him an email about our upcoming cruise. My husband hadn't bothered to open it. Had I not looked over his shoulder and noticed it, Royal's email would have been unread and buried in his inbox.

Why do they assume the male will be doing the vacation planning? And why is there no place to state our preferences?[/quote]

Well, you will be happy to know in my family I do all the planning and all emails go to and are addressed to my wife. Should I be upset with reverse sexism ??? :D

I could give a darn. I am going cruising. No matter what they call me

Archived