SetSail Pass?

renee1222

Ok, I'm a newbie here and about to print my first ever SetSail Pass! Just a few questions....

1. Is there just one SetSail Pass for our cabin that only has to be signed by the primary guest? (Or am I missing something?)

2. I set up our onboard account as a Cash account, as we don't use credit cards and I have heard stories of "holds" of certain amounts on debit cards and debit card security issues. Can we write a check at the pier to initially fund the account? If we need to later add additional funds onboard, can we write another check or would we have to use the debit card?

3. What a about something like a prepaid Visa card? Is that a viable alternative to a credit card? If we do later decide to fund the account with a debit card or prepaid card, can I edit the documents and reprint before boarding?

Thanks for your help!

Ok, I'm a newbie here and about to print my first ever SetSail Pass! Just a few questions....

1. Is there just one SetSail Pass for our cabin that only has to be signed by the primary guest? (Or am I missing something?)

2. I set up our onboard account as a Cash account, as we don't use credit cards and I have heard stories of "holds" of certain amounts on debit cards and debit card security issues. Can we write a check at the pier to initially fund the account? If we need to later add additional funds onboard, can we write another check or would we have to use the debit card?

3. What a about something like a prepaid Visa card? Is that a viable alternative to a credit card? If we do later decide to fund the account with a debit card or prepaid card, can I edit the documents and reprint before boarding?

Thanks for your help!

My experience is that there is a Set sail pass for each passenger in a stateroom.

A cash account, means cash not check from a bank account, travellers check yes.

Pre paid cards are not accepted but you can amend the documents before the deadline and reprint.

I have not established an account using cash, so I can't comment directly on that. But in regards to your SetSail pass..... depending on how you completed the online check-in, you may have only one page to print and sign. There is a page within the check-in that details the cruise contract. By checking the box, you are officially agreeing to the terms. You can agree for yourself, then also on behalf of other persons in your reservation. Also, when setting up your on board account (again, speaking in regards to using a credit card), you can agree to cover the expenses of others in the reservation. If the primary person agrees to both parts, then I think only one SetSail pass will show to print and be signed by this person. This is how it came out for my parents and also my aunt and uncles reservation when both primaries agreed on the behalf of their spouses. However, my grandmother and my two other aunts who are all sharing a cabin (each using their own credit card) show individual SetSail passes to print and sign. Hope that made sense.

As for pre-paid credit cards, I do believe that I have read of others using them. Not sure about using a check to establish your account, I thought it had to be a credit card or cash.... but a quick call to customer service could answer this with correct info for you.

Hi - Welcome!!

I had questions about the debit/bank card option and hearing the posts about the holds called RCI directly.

You can: sign in as a cash account, they give you a $500 limit - if you go over this limit you are called to guest services to pay and add more money. If at the end of the cruise you have not used all of the limit you pay whatever is charged - and you can use a debit/bank to make that payment.

Hope that helps - have a fabulous cruise!!!

D.

My sister used a pre-paid visa card to book our upcoming cruise on the Allure. She has made payments on it and has it linked to her account as the card that will be charged for final payment. She was also told it would not be a problem to continue to use it as the card to link to her onboard account. Since we haven't sailed yet, I can't confirm that for fact, but so far it hasn't been a problem to use it. She was told that the card needed to have a VISA logo.

But do they actually place a $500 hold on your debit card until the end of the cruise and then price adjust it for your actual expenses?

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Depends. If you set up your SetSail account with a debit card, then holds might be placed against your funds. If you set up your SetSail account as a cash account, then no holds.

My experience is that there is a Set sail pass for each passenger in a stateroom.

I don't think so, are you thinking of the Sea Pass card?

With no direct experience using them on the ship, I've had nothing but bad experiences with the pre-paid Visa cards. There fees are the worst, read the fine print, and at some retailers it pre-authorizes the entire card and even if you spend only a portion the rest is tied up for 7-10 days.

You don't use credit cards, but it really is the best way to go, The week before I leave for my next cruise I'll pay ahead $500 on my RC Visa and when I come back I'll have little or no balance. Your cash option will work fine.

But do they actually place a $500 hold on your debit card until the end of the cruise and then price adjust it for your actual expenses?

Thank you everyone for your responses!

No, since you sign in with a cash account, no holds. You don't have to give them your card info until the end of the cruise (or when you hit the $500 limit).

Have a great day!!!

D.

is set sail pass and cruise contract form one and the same?

No,....

you have to accept the terms of the cruise contract when completing the on line check in.

If you Cheshire, accept the terms for all people on the reservation, then you will /should have ONE set sail pass that will likely have all the names on it ....same for the on board account...of you are paying for all parties...

when my mom and i sailed together...i filled it all out, accepted the terms, and paid....I THINK both our names were on it someplace, but I was the only one who signed.

there will not necessarily be one for each guest.

as for pre paid cards...if it has your name on it, then i believe it will work....if it is a VISA/MC/AX gift card, then no it can NOT be used..neither can the 'plastic' travelers cheque cards...just paper travelers cheques...

as for the holds on cards, YMMV...everyone has reported a different story..

HTH..

now, as for the SEA PASS room key/on board charge card, yes EVERY guest will have one..

Why not just bring the cash...it's easiest that way. You can use traveler's check, but there is a personal check limit of $200 per cruise....

If you have the money in your account for a debit card (and they do put a 'hold' on debits!), just take out the cash...large bills are easier to carry...and use that to fund your shipboard account. You'll have a safe in your cabin for extra money you will have. Take home any unused funds and put them back in your account!

You don't have to use the means of payment you told them on the setsail pass.,..you can change all of that at check-in, if you want.

Thanks for your help!

We just returned from the Allure last week and used cash for our account. We put $600 in travelers checks down at the Guest Relations desk. On the last sea day we had a small balance of cash left so I gave them my debit card to put on file "just in case" as I did not want the hassle of putting more cash on the account and standing in line to get a refund if it was not used. My bank account did not receive a hold put on it and was charged the $.94 we went over.

I printed one Sea Pass with only my name on it and was told that the name of the main reservation holder was the only one that would be required.

I have mentioned this on here before as well as some others when the Visa Debit Card is used. I have never had a hold placed on my Visa Debit Card which I use when I cruise. I di however have a 2nd checking account with a debit card tied to that account just for when I vacation and go on cruises. When you use you debit card for your sea pass account, each night of the cruise they run your bill through so what you spent is debited from your account each night. The only thing I had left for a bill on the last day was what I spent on the last night, which was a couple of drinks and some thing out of the store which totaled about $40.00. Once again there was no hold placed on the card.

If using the same card, one set sail pass to show with everyone's name. If you use a different card for every person, each will have their own set sail pass.

Cash account or credit card. Either way, they hold an amount to ensure they get paid.

No checks, but you can use cash I beleive.

You can modify all this after boarding if you want to change something, and, wait in the long lines (Allure).

They DO place a hold if using a debit card, and then just charge the actual amount before leaving (if less than the hold amount). Speaking from experience. You cannot exceed the hold amount unless they increase this. If you have OBC and don't use it, this goes back on your card, unless it's an OBC that MUST be used on board. Ours was not. We got a credit since our AC had and electrical fire.

• 1 month later...

I understand that on a 7 day cruise there is a $500 daily limit. But my question is, when I show up at check-in and declare that I want a cash option, how much $$$ will I be required to give RCCL before walking onto the boat??

We don't want to spend much at all on the boat but more on the islands/excursions. By using cash on the boat, our credit cards won't have holds.

I understand that on a 7 day cruise there is a $500 daily limit. But my question is, when I show up at check-in and declare that I want a cash option, how much $$$ will I be required to give RCCL before walking onto the boat??

We don't want to spend much at all on the boat but more on the islands/excursions. By using cash on the boat, our credit cards won't have holds.

Our experience has been that no cash is needed up front in order to use a cash based on board account.

You wont have to hand over cash at check-in or before boarding the ship. You'll automatically have the daily limit on your sea-pass.

The best thing that worked for us last year on Rhapsody, was to pay off the day's spendings at the end of each day. We just kept the reciepts from the day to see how much we'[d spent, and then at the end of the day, we just paid in cash at Guest Relations.

Re: thank you clarea and tillydog! That helps a lot. So one more question: when I register online and I am asked which option for paying. Do I choose:

I would like to pay for my Onboard Expenses with a credit card. (I'm thinking not since we want to pay cash)

I would like to pay for my Onboard Expenses with cash. (I'm assuming this one)

I will not be setting up an Onboard Expense Account. (This option would be for someone not purchasing anything at all on the ship???)

Re: thank you clarea and tillydog! That helps a lot. So one more question: when I register online and I am asked which option for paying. Do I choose:

I would like to pay for my Onboard Expenses with a credit card. (I'm thinking not since we want to pay cash)

I would like to pay for my Onboard Expenses with cash. (I'm assuming this one) Yes, this one.

I will not be setting up an Onboard Expense Account. (This option would be for someone not purchasing anything at all on the ship???)

See RED above.

Archived