"Live" (I hope) from Radiance - Sailing to Hawaii

PCWalton1

Thank you for letting us join your vacation! It was really fun to see what you were up to each day.

also a belated Thank you to Raina for identifying the Java Finch.

I leave for Hawaii in a little less than 4 months! We are going round trip from Long Beach CA in Jan via Carnival.

One question- you said Marie likes to go in every ABC store. Does that mean they all have different merchandise?

Let me see if I can get this answer attached to the right question, lol.

As for the ABC Stores, nope, same stuff, same price, different location. :p

After enjoying a quiet afternoon we cleaned up and strolled down the beach to Outrigger Waikiki and Duke's Restaurant. Yes, I know it is touristy but we have never been and we are tourists so we should fit right in. I made a reservation last month and was glad I did as the couple in front of us without a reservation were handed a pager and told the wait was 1 to 1 1/2 hours for a table.:eek:

I cannot believe how many people they run through that place in an evening. It was nonstop people eating and waiting for tables, the waiting area was a sea of people. I asked the waiter and he said it was a typical crowd for a Monday, hate to see a Friday or Saturday.

Marie ordered a Mango-rita and I had a Mai Tai. For dinner Marie ordered Opah (moonfish) baked Duke's way with garlic, lemon and sweet basil. I had the seven spice Ahi which was good but actually seared a little longer than I like.

We finished the meal off sharing a Kimo's Original Hula Pie which we made a good dent in but no way could finish.

After dinner a nice moonlight stroll along Waikiki beach back to the hotel.

8023984184_668e953dd2_c.jpg

I am pretty sure I took a picture of her in front of this store back in 2003 too.

8023986481_1811f2a575_c.jpg

8023986351_98b6889f4b_c.jpg

8023983826_73a046a51d_c.jpg

Wow, i asked the other day about cruising from west coast. We have now decided that we may just do a land based trip now (not a fan of NCL which seems to be option available). This was the hotel we were looking at staying at as DS 26 and DD 28 want to be in heart of things. Did not realise that Dukes was so good or so popular. Have really enjoyed going on holiday with you...so to speak.

Edited by pennys mum

Thank you for taking me on this cruise with you. it was my 1st time in hawaii and it was great. Good job with your review..did you have fun doing it??

thanks Brenda;)

Yes I have had fun. Too bad it ends tonight. At least we are enjoying the evening at the beach eating at Cheeseburger in Paradise.

guvezamu.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Were there many kids on this sailing? We were debating the Hawaii to Vancouver in the spring since they expanded the kids programs on Radiance.

Since it sound like you are bringing kids, I will say no not many instead of my first response which would be thank goodness no. :D

Since it sound like you are bringing kids, I will say no not many instead of my first response which would be thank goodness no. :D

I understand, we were that way prior to 2008. The good news is our oldest will be 5 and have 10 cruises under her belt by next year and the youngest will be 3 with 6 cruises under her belt. The 2 of them will do anything for a cruise. If we don't do Hawaii to Vancouver we will do Alaska? We have Oasis and Liberty on deck in the next few months.

They both did so well on their first flight to and from Vegas over Labor Day Weekend we figure we could do Hawaii or Alaska.

Edited by outtoseacruise

I don't know how all of you feel but I miss Bill and Marie and their travel tales!! Hopefully they are home safe and sound.

Bill: Let us know how your adjusting to "home sweet home" ( and back to work:()

Carol

Me, too! Why does it take so long for a vacation to come and then it is over so quickly?

I am always searching for new great reviews. I wish more people would post like Bill. I did do a detailed review of our Hawaii trip last year because I was so grateful to the people who did them prior to me. I did not do a LIVE review, though. I don't know that I would be that faithful to the review during a cruise. I would probably leave a lot of people hanging!:eek: Thank you, Bill for being so regular in your posts. You made it all truly enjoyable.:)

I don't know how all of you feel but I miss Bill and Marie and their travel tales!! Hopefully they are home safe and sound.

Bill: Let us know how your adjusting to "home sweet home" ( and back to work:()

Carol

Me, too! Why does it take so long for a vacation to come and then it is over so quickly?

I am always searching for new great reviews. I wish more people would post like Bill. I did do a detailed review of our Hawaii trip last year because I was so grateful to the people who did them prior to me. I did not do a LIVE review, though. I don't know that I would be that faithful to the review during a cruise. I would probably leave a lot of people hanging!:eek: Thank you, Bill for being so regular in your posts. You made it all truly enjoyable.:)

Thanks both of you for the kind words. We are back, an uneventful direct flight home and a 30 minute ride to the house ended the dream and brought back reality. The first issue was my car was dead though I was 99% certain that would be the case when we got to the house as the battery had been slowly dying the past 4 months. So I ended up walking that afternoon to the doctor. I had a pre op checkup with my primary care doctor (going in to get a new knee next Friday). Dumb idea to walk as by the time I got home my knee was screaming at me but I couldn't take any medication as I am going in for the surgery next week so had to settle for ice.

This will be my last live blog, not only was it tough on me it was really tough on Marie and I thank her for her patience. :)

Unless anyone has any more questions I am going to close out this trip with a little bit of Hawaii. We have been home more that 48 hours and we still have not opened this can. Now that is self control. :D Aloha

8034645355_703bd3ec04_c.jpg

Thanks so much for the review Bill & Marie. Best wishes for your speedy recovery from the replacement. It's a slow recovery, but worthwhile. :D:):D

Thanks, I hope not too slow. We are doing the Amazing Race Cozumel during our March 2nd Jewel cruise. :D

Bill

Thanks, I hope not too slow. We are doing the Amazing Race Cozumel during our March 2nd Jewel cruise. :D

Bill

Bill:

Isn't it wonderful we can get new "parts"?? Friends have had new knees and did well. Sister in law is having hers done in Nov.

Good luck with your surgery! We keep posting because we don't want to lose you and Marie:)

Carol

What a great review! We sailed from Honolulu to Vancouver on Rhapsody and are going to do it in 2013 and 2014 as well. I prefer the overnight in Maui and the 13 night cruise; otherwise Inwould love to go the other way - you add an hour to your day three times, which is always fun.

For the poster who wanted to see 1600 on Brilliance, follow the link in my signature. I took some updated pictures on then TA this fall, and will get them posted one of these days,

And there's a picture of the balcony from 1602 in my Serenade album.:)

What a great review! We sailed from Honolulu to Vancouver on Rhapsody and are going to do it in 2013 and 2014 as well. I prefer the overnight in Maui and the 13 night cruise; otherwise Inwould love to go the other way - you add an hour to your day three times, which is always fun.

For the poster who wanted to see 1600 on Brilliance, follow the link in my signature. I took some updated pictures on then TA this fall, and will get them posted one of these days,

And there's a picture of the balcony from 1602 in my Serenade album.:)

On Radiance in Sept 2013 they added an overnight in Maui but dropped off Kauai since it is still just 10 days long. I wish they would have had it this time as we would have gone back to the Old Lahaina Luau. We are tempted but are going on Legend through the Panama Canal in Nov 2013 and both would be too much for us that close together. :)

Bill