Navigator - pros and cons?

prattmom

Thinking of changing our thanksgiving cruise next year from the Carnival Magic (which we love!) To the RCL Navigator....

Problem is, I've read it is due for drydock, but that got pushed back until AFTER we would sail... I'm kinda spoiled with having the new Carnival ship half an hour from my house and I'm afraid I would be disappointed since some of the amenities I've heard tell of with Royal aren't included on the Navigator...

Can you guys help with pros and cons?

The only thing the NOS has in its advantage right now is itinerary, which is a big deal ..

Thanks!

What amenities are you afraid you'll miss?

Navigator is a gorgeous ship even without the upgrades. If you are "into" entertainment, the ice show is amazing. Another huge plus is that the ship has a very favorable space-to-passenger ratio, so there is lots of room for the people to spread out and it rarely feels crowded (except for the usual buffet on embarkation day, and the bottlenecks when a show is letting out).

Sometimes it's just nice to do a different ship/cruiseline to get the change of menus, entertainment, decor, etc. We've switched between RCI and Princess just to shake things up a bit and keep from getting bored with the same stuff.

Cons? No cons except to say it is too far away right now, but will get within driving distance soon:). Treat yourself to the Royal Promenade, very different but really neat. The Navigator is the second generation Voyager class which means the balconies are better IMO. We are seriously thinking about taking a spin on her when she is running out of NOLA.

Thinking of changing our thanksgiving cruise next year from the Carnival Magic (which we love!) To the RCL Navigator....

Problem is, I've read it is due for drydock, but that got pushed back until AFTER we would sail... I'm kinda spoiled with having the new Carnival ship half an hour from my house and I'm afraid I would be disappointed since some of the amenities I've heard tell of with Royal aren't included on the Navigator...

Can you guys help with pros and cons?

The only thing the NOS has in its advantage right now is itinerary, which is a big deal ..

Thanks!

Why don't you tell us which amenities that you have heard about are ones that you consider important to have and we will be better able to tell you if you and Navigator are a good fit. I, personally, think Navigator is a great ship.

We cruised on the Navigator this past Thanksgiving out of Fort Lauderdale (me, wife and DD - 14 and DS -11) and it was amazing. First cruise for kids and fourth for wife and me. I can't fairly compare RCCL to other lines, however (see sig).

The ship was in beautiful shape, and as mentioned the ratio of passengers to "public" area space is probably as good as it gets on the big ships. Big pool deck, sports court, Promenade, spacious MDR and theatre, nice choices for specialty dining, etc. We did get a great deal on a grand suite so were a bit spoiled by that...

The only thing the Navigator did not have that we might have missed is the Flowrider - kids would have enjoyed that - but honestly there were too many other things to do to miss it. I'm sure the drydock "Oasis" upgrades will be nice, but would not be something I personally would miss.

Of course, as mentioned above, it's all about you and what you're looking for in deciding what you'll be missing :)

Another Navigator fan here - I will be on her again in the next 30 days. It's true that the Navigator doesn't have all the amenities of, say, the Oasis or the Allure, but if you haven't sailed either of those ship, I doubt you'll miss them. It's got plenty of things for both kids and adults to do - my 14 year old niece loved our cruise last year.

Just Do It

and Set Sail

With us

Bring Navigator back on Transatlantic to Galveston from Rome next year 11/13

and also consider doing Italy/Spain just before

for BTB

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections

of you’re expectations.

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!!

Zac Brown Band!!

" The sea, once it casts its spell,

holds one in its net of wonder forever. "

Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Thanks a lot! I honestly don't know what I'm missing which is why I ask...

Sounds like I need to book this one. Now gotta figure out the cabins....

In which case you will probably be awestruck by the ship and all that it does have to offer.

Just Do It

and Set Sail

With us

Bring Navigator back on Transatlantic to Galveston from Rome next year 11/13

and also consider doing Italy/Spain just before

for BTB

FYI

IF YOU HAVE TIME AVAILABLE and want to consider.

FOR TA or BOTH

You may have been just considering out of Galveston on Thanksgiving!

But I thought I would mention them!

Happy sailing!

The prices are right on these two cruises btb::)

11/3/13

Starting from * $599 USD Navigator Of The Seas

7 Night Italian & Spanish Med Cruise

11/10/13

Starting from * $749 USD Navigator Of The Seas

14 Night Westbound Transatlantic Cruise

FYI

IF YOU HAVE TIME AVAILABLE and want to consider.

FOR TA or BOTH

You may have been just considering out of Galveston on Thanksgiving!

But I thought I would mention them!

Happy sailing!

The prices are right on these two cruises btb::)

11/3/13

Starting from * $599 USD Navigator Of The Seas

7 Night Italian & Spanish Med Cruise

11/10/13

Starting from * $749 USD Navigator Of The Seas

14 Night Westbound Transatlantic Cruise

Wow, that price is great for 14 nights TA.

Glad to see these great comments about NOS since I put a deposit down on her for December of '13.

As for the dry dock, I have searched and googled to find info and have found multiple dates given. One of the dates was December of 13 (no exact date but the month of my cruise). Wish I could find out for sure when they are going to do this dry dock. I sure hope my cruise isnt impacted.

Archived