Ham radio on cruises

Matsonbrat

I have been looking at various posts on this subject over the past few years on this subject and wonder why it is necessary to inform anyone you have an HT in your luggage? You could use it when near shore in U.S. territory and ashore using local ham freqs. Aboard ship from a balcony, if you have one, or at night in a dark secluded location topside. Of course my years with CIA communications

could influence my thoughts here.

I would strongly suggest you contact the cruise line and get written permission (by e-mail) to bring your radio aboard.

Security may be very unhappy with you if they discover it when they x-ray your baggage.

You must get permission to have it.

I have been looking at various posts on this subject over the past few years on this subject and wonder why it is necessary to inform anyone you have an HT in your luggage? You could use it when near shore in U.S. territory and ashore using local ham freqs. Aboard ship from a balcony, if you have one, or at night in a dark secluded location topside. Of course my years with CIA communications

Perhaps this is why:

When an FCC licensed amateur is operating an amateur rig aboard a US-registered vessel in international waters, he or she must follow Part 97 of the FCC rules, particularly Section 97.11. US and Canadian licensees need no special permit or authorization other than their own FCC or DOC license as long as Section 97.11 is followed and they stay within the US and International waters.

If the ship is of foreign registry, you must obtain a reciprocal operating authorization from the country of registry in addition to being in compliance with Section 97.11. When amateurs enter the territorial waters of a country, they fall under their communications jurisdiction. This means that they must obtain the required reciprocal operating authorization. There are three such authorizations: CEPT which applies to most European countries and certain overseas territories; IARP which applies to certain countries in the America's; Reciprocal Permit which is available from most countries, but application must be made to the country and a fee paid.

Hence the need to speak with and obtain permision from the CPT.

International treaties require written pre-approval from the ship's Master for use at sea. This is bordering on being a moot point for an HT. As a practical matter, no one is really going hassle you anyway.

Within U.S. territorial waters you can freely use the HT if it does not interfere with the ship's operation (very unlikely that it will). The cruise line (home office or any officer on board) can forbid its use but as a practical matter "everyone" will think its a FRS device and ignore it.

I urge you to be careful using it in non-US ports without checking out the licensing and allowed frequencies. Some VHF (and perhaps UHF) frequencies allocated to hams in the U.S. are used elsewhere be public safety agencies.

Paul AB0SI

I dunno about telling the line you have it, but you NEED to tell them b4 you use it.

even US Government vessels must request permission to transmit in other countries ... a standard part of a 'port request' when I was sitting in the chair. Your transmissions can interefere with local work and they just might (or have the right to) chase you down for that.

Odds are, on a visit measured in hours you have NOTHING to worry about, but as a CONCERNED HAM you do care, right?

In a real case example however, I once was on a trip (I was driving) and one of our communications systems kept tripping off the line. We DID eventually track it to an unknown, personnally owned and operated, hand held, satellite phone. the item was immediatey confiscated.

Because you can BUY it, does not mean you can USE it.

Probably because if you do not inform them you might be violating FCC, foriegn host country, and international regulations relating to operating HAM radio's. Your years with CIA communications will not apply since most of the CIA's communications are secret, secure, and clandestine and have no application to HAM radio's.

DH is a ham and we have taken his radio. We have done this on Princess and RCCL. We have always contacted the cruise lines in advance. Once we had to have his radio inspected when we arrived on the ship. He was also able to run some kind of antenna (really a long wire) on our balcony. Last few cruises he hasn't bothered to bring his gear as he said reception was pretty lousy.

DH is a ham and we have taken his radio. We have done this on Princess and RCCL. We have always contacted the cruise lines in advance. Once we had to have his radio inspected when we arrived on the ship. He was also able to run some kind of antenna (really a long wire) on our balcony. Last few cruises he hasn't bothered to bring his gear as he said reception was pretty lousy.

You must be a very good wife

I will not allow any Ham gear on my holidays :D

73's

If your a Ham, then you already know why you can't do what you propose. If your not a Ham, you can't use the radio anyway whether you do it in the U.S., International waters or a foreign land.

+1

I agree

Why bother posting the question the OP knows the rules

Archived