Luxury cruise

Traveler30

Thats a broad question. What are your wants/needs? More info would help. The closest I came was a solo on a semi luxury cruise on Oceania twice. I found just a bit of shall we say attitude;" I am married or have a companion; I dont wish to converse with you". But food,sevice wonderful.

Traveler 30,

Are you worried about being the only solo cruiser? Or because most of the luxury cruise ships are smaller (less chances to meet up with people)? Have you gone to the roll call board for that cruise line - you can often find out about the people with whom you would be travelling.

Thank you for your replies. I was just wondering if a luxury cruise, would be better for me due to my age. I have cruised 30 times with my late Husband, guess I will go back to Princess as I do have 25 cruises with them. I want to meet people and I just need to get away. It's been 2 years that I am a widow, so I think now is the time to do what we both enjoyed. I am a little apprehensive about traveling alone, but I must get over it. At the moment I am unsure as to where I want to go, would prefer a 12 to 14 day cruise. Have been to the caribbean & Panama canal several times.

Thank you all again

Traveler30

I'm 51 and not 72, but my opinion is: just choose a shorter cruise, maybe 7 days, on whatever line/itinerary interests you, and give it a try! Princess will even be a somewhat new experience on your own vs. when you traveled with your husband. See how you like it and that way you aren't locked into a long cruise if you find that you just don't enjoy it solo.

(I say this, but after my divorce a few years ago I have finally booked my own first solo cruise, and it's a 15-day transatlantic! I would probably have been wiser to start with a 7-day, but the price and timing combo were such that I just couldn't pass this one up. I'll report back on what I did and did not enjoy--but I figure, at the very least I can get all caught up on my sleep and caught up on all the books I've been wanting to read!)

I'm 51 and not 72, but my opinion is: just choose a shorter cruise, maybe 7 days, on whatever line/itinerary interests you, and give it a try! Princess will even be a somewhat new experience on your own vs. when you traveled with your husband. See how you like it and that way you aren't locked into a long cruise if you find that you just don't enjoy it solo.

(I say this, but after my divorce a few years ago I have finally booked my own first solo cruise, and it's a 15-day transatlantic! I would probably have been wiser to start with a 7-day, but the price and timing combo were such that I just couldn't pass this one up. I'll report back on what I did and did not enjoy--but I figure, at the very least I can get all caught up on my sleep and caught up on all the books I've been wanting to read!)

Hi, you going on Constellation?:) You might check the roll call

for it as there are lots of folks going on that cruise.:) I love Celebrity

and hopefully one day will do a TA too but they always seem to

start or end when I can't leave work:rolleyes:....closing the month is

a no go for me:eek:

I am 54 and love going solo. Actually it is the only way I sail.

If I could splurge and do a luxury line? I would but the prices are

just too far out of my budget.......

Lois, I just might join you one of these days. Please keep me informed of your cruising plans.:)

(((((((Esther)))))))) how are you doing? Hope you are doing ok.

My next cruise is Summit (you know about that one) and I do have

an 11 nighter booked on Equinox out of Ft. Lauderdale on March 4th.

I keep going back and forth on that one though......thinking about

changing for one of the brand new ships earlier in the year (those

are only 7 nights) and then possibly going to Alaska in May. If I stick

with the March cruise, Alaska in May won't really be doable.......

Thank you for your replies. I was just wondering if a luxury cruise, would be better for me due to my age. I have cruised 30 times with my late Husband, guess I will go back to Princess as I do have 25 cruises with them. I want to meet people and I just need to get away. It's been 2 years that I am a widow, so I think now is the time to do what we both enjoyed. I am a little apprehensive about traveling alone, but I must get over it. At the moment I am unsure as to where I want to go, would prefer a 12 to 14 day cruise. Have been to the caribbean & Panama canal several times.

Thank you all again

Traveler30

I think you would love Crystal. I've done quite a few cruises with them as a solo and have always met wonderful people. They are higher priced, but their single supplement is lower than most. The have a singles party (I've never attended one of them, but hear they are very nice), so that solo travelers can meet others. The service is the best I've had on a cruise ship. If you want luxury, this is one of the best cruise lines.

I think you would love Crystal. I've done quite a few cruises with them as a solo and have always met wonderful people. They are higher priced, but their single supplement is lower than most. The have a singles party (I've never attended one of them, but hear they are very nice), so that solo travelers can meet others. The service is the best I've had on a cruise ship. If you want luxury, this is one of the best cruise lines.

I'm about to do my first cruise with Crystal next spring, and I'll be traveling solo.....but from what I gather I'll be at the youngish end of the age spectrum (I'll be 51). From what I have gathered, Crystal has among the highest percentage of solo travelers among cruise ship lines (and they do have the lowest single supplement except for some last minute sales).

Traveler, do something completely new.Princess is no way luxury. Try a longer cruise to somewhere new on a luxury ship. Friend of mine just came back from Europe on Seaborne. Loved its small size. I love Oceania with its 2 new ships. Great smaller ships and itins.Delightful food and service.

Hi, you going on Constellation?:) You might check the roll call

for it as there are lots of folks going on that cruise.:) I love Celebrity

and hopefully one day will do a TA too but they always seem to

start or end when I can't leave work:rolleyes:....closing the month is

a no go for me:eek:

I am 54 and love going solo. Actually it is the only way I sail.

If I could splurge and do a luxury line? I would but the prices are

just too far out of my budget.......

I am and I have been on the roll call, it's pretty active! I shouldn't leave work for this long either--especially since I"ll also be off all of Thanksgiving week and taking my sons on a cruise for part of it. But it seems like every year I get towards the fall and I haven't used any of my vacation time and my company has a "use it or lose it" policy so suddenly I figure out a way to go! That wouldn't have worked back in the days when I was an accountant, but right now my work schedule is a lot more flexible. One of the things I love about my job. :)

I'm really excited about my solo cruise. I've been considering one for years and finally the circumstances were right to go. The idea that I can do just exactly what I want, when I want, is kind of nice! I travel solo for work a lot, and live alone most of the time these days (younger son is a college student so is home sometimes) so I'm not at all worried about being alone really. My biggest worry is that I might get bored on all those sea days--not because I'm solo, just because there are so many of them in a row! :)

I completely understand getting bored on sea days. My first cruise was on HAL to the Southern Caribbean and for a 7 day cruise there were only 3 ports. I love reading and enjoy my own company but I did get a bit bored, especially during sea days.

Two weeks ago I went on a Mediterranean cruise on the Epic. Wow. Loved it. There was only one sea day. The ports took up so much of my time and energy I didn't really have a chance to be bored. I also knew I would be back on the ship soon so didn't have to try to experience everything.

The first week in November I'm going back on the Epic for a Bingo cruise. I've already paid for the Bingo - over 100 games and over 80k in prizes during the sea days. They will also have other things going on. It's the perfect combination for me- lots of sea days so I can experience the ship but also the bingo tournament during the sea days that I don't have to pay extra for! :)

Hi Everyone

Would anyone be able to advise me, if a luxury cruise is advisable for a 72yr old widow, traveling solo.

Thanks for any information.

Traveler 30

I am also a widow four years older than yourself.Read my views on solo cruising with Princess an the thread 'Solo Cruisers.'

• 1 month later...

Try Seabourn cruise lines. I have not been on their larger ships, but the Pride, Spirit and Legend have all suites, are all inclusive, maximum of only 208 passengers, and you will be pampered beyond belief. I have been priced off of them, unfortunately, but had the good luck to sail on Seabourn several times. They made me feel like a duchess, and I always cruise solo.

Jane

I would more suggest cunard actually as most of the older single ladies get together there and you can learn dancing if you don't already

the luxury ships are generally small and not as much option for meeting other solo people, although you should make friends with a number of couples

just remember the type of people you wish to hang out with

pick a cruise with that type of people onit

greg

Maybe try HAL as a first cruise as a solo. What I like about HAL, as a solo in my early 60s, is I figure this line is geared for the over 50 set. Wonderful libraries on all ships, a promendade deck for sitting and walking, and a mix of traditional dining and anytime dining. I've gone on HAL over the last three years over the holidays and never felt overwhemled by families.

HAL is not a luxury line but you could get more upscale (balconey, mini-suite) accomodations to make it feel that way. The thing I like about cruising is you can make your cruise pretty much whatever you want it to be. On my last cruise I didn't do formal dining and just travelled with a carry on bag. I was fine attending shows and the piano bar in the evenings. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. Faith

Just wanted to echo this. Crystal has low single supplements, so they will price fairly competitively when compared to a non-luxury line with 200% single supplement. And if you find a price/itinerary you are comfortable with, I think you will really love it.

Their on-board entertainment and enrichment program is top-notch and also they are very good at organizing shore excursions that you will enjoy and fell safe taking as a solo traveler. One of the things I really like about them is they still have a solid Bridge program (lessons and organized casual or duplicate game play). If you like dancing (I don't) they have gentleman dancing hosts for the women passengers who are traveling alone or have a partner who doesn't like to dance.

I have cruised on them as a single several times, and have another one scheduled. I love sea days so I look for itineraries with lots of them!

- Nancy

Just wanted to echo this. Crystal has low single supplements, so they will price fairly competitively when compared to a non-luxury line with 200% single supplement.

I was just doing calculations like that for a 2014 transpacific voyage between the US and Australia or NZ. The itineraries are not identical, of course, but on a cost-per-day basis, Crystal's prices are almost the same as the other lines making that journey (I looked at HAL, P&O, and Cunard).......even while Crystal has smaller, less crowded ships with a better crew:staff ratio, more included items (drinks, gratuities, specialty dining), and award-winning service. I know the other lines make more port stops so for some they are better itineraries, but it's still an interesting comparison.

I always cruise as a solo and usually with Silversea. Their single supplements are excellent and they are a luxury brand. On my recent trip, Vancouver to Tokyo, we had 23 solos onboard. We had a good time. :)

Next May, I'm trying Crystal for the first time because the itinerary is fabulous.

Both Crystal and Silversea have the best single supplements of all cruise lines. There is no way that I would pay double on any of the mass market lines.:eek:

Give one of them a try, u can't lose.

Cheers

ging466

I always cruise as a solo and usually with Silversea. Their single supplements are excellent and they are a luxury brand. On my recent trip, Vancouver to Tokyo, we had 23 solos onboard. We had a good time. :)

Next May, I'm trying Crystal for the first time because the itinerary is fabulous.

Both Crystal and Silversea have the best single supplements of all cruise lines. There is no way that I would pay double on any of the mass market lines.:eek:

Give one of them a try, u can't lose.

Cheers

ging466

Hi, sounds lovely but the prices of the luxury lines are waaaayyyy

out of my budget. Their low Supplsments? They don't help me at

all since the bottom line cruise price is way more than I can afford.

Thank you all for your input. I still have not made up my mind about another cruise. Unsure weather I want to travel alone, especially at the airports and hotels. Hope you all have a good day.

Hi:) Oh that part? I guess after a while you just get used to it;)

After cruising solo for 11 years? Airports and hotels are just part of

the process. They get me to my final destination which is the cruise

ship:D

Archived