Should Royal Come Clean on Tipping?

Before I ask my question - we prepay tips and add extra for our waiters and stateroom attendant for great service. We tip $10-$20 extra (?) in Chops and Portafino.

I've been reading all of these posts and questions on tipping and I'm wondering - it seems there would be less confusing if the cruise line just explained how tipping works. How much of the surcharge in the specialty restaurants is the tip? Do the Windjammer waiters share in the MDR tips? Are pool waiters and pool bar bartenders sharing equally in the 15% that is automatically added to every drink, etc? I think that knowing the answers might change my tipping behavior (for the better). What do you think?

I'm actually on the opposite end of the spectrum. I tip extra also, but believe the specifics are a matter best kept between the employee and employer. I don't see it as any of my business. JMO. :)

I agree with this.

I think an attempt to break it down creates additional confusion. If you say the suggested tips are

waiter: $3.75/day

assistant waiter: $2.15/day

head waiter: $0.75/day

Stateroom attendant: $5.00/day

it's not really unreasonable for someone to look at this and think "I don't have a waiter or an assistant waiter or a head waiter in the Windjammer. I don't need to tip when I eat there"

You start listing out stuff, people see it as a complete list of who needs to be tipped. But if it's not really a complete list, then the confusion and debate ensues. Royal won't ever make their cruise fare pricing "service inclusive", just like no other mass market line will. It makes the cruise appear more expensive compare to a competitor. IMHO, the "best" solution is to do as many other lines do and simply adopt a "service charge" as a single line item to your folio for each person for each day. Don't attempt to break it down by mentioning specific roles, apart from stating it "covers all the wonderful service you receive from all the crew members during your cruise"

Of course, this won't be popular with everyone. And that's fine. They can just go to the pursers desk and have the charge removed and tip manually. (or not at all). Just like people may do on other lines.

I also in general find RCI's tipping confusing. I much prefer how Princess puts a daily charge for gratuities on my on-board account and this pool covering everyone including those working in the buffet, etc. and then I can tip extra to those who go above and beyond.

I refuse to prepay tips, based on principle. On my last two RCI cruises in May and August we opted to give cash tips to the waiter, assistant, head waiter and cabin steward. Nowhere in their literature about tipping guidelines did it say anything about a pool that covered those who work in the Windjammer. I felt bad that they were not being tipped as they work hard and are always cheerful and helpful.

Just my two cents worth...

Except for the SR's the tipping has been the same on rci for 40 years. Even in mtd the tip is still the same, you just prepay.

It's very out front and has always been, the amounts have changed, but are paid in the same way.

So you understand exactly how the tips are distributed? I wish someone could explain it to me. And it's not "between employer and employee" - that's true of my cruise fare, but I don't think that's true of my tips.

Here is the information that I think everyone is looking for (at least this is what we were told by RCI):

Employees are guarenteed a certain amount of pay by the cruise line. This pay comes from the tips payed by the passengers. When that figure is reached by an individual employee, everything above that amount payed/ tipped to that employee is "gravy" and still given to that crew member as a job well done.

However if there aren't enough tips given to that crew member to reach that contracted amount, Royal Caribbean adds enough to top off that goal.

That way each crew member knows the minimum amount they well recieve in each pay period and hopefully, thanks to some generous passingers, they will take home a little more. We always pay our tips through our onboard account, and when someone has been especially helpful, we make an additional tip in cash, handed descretely to the crewmember.

So you understand exactly how the tips are distributed? I wish someone could explain it to me. And it's not "between employer and employee" - that's true of my cruise fare, but I don't think that's true of my tips.

Why would I care. I pay the tips due and add extra at times, that's all that is suggested and ever has been.

I also in general find RCI's tipping confusing. I much prefer how Princess puts a daily charge for gratuities on my on-board account and this pool covering everyone including those working in the buffet, etc. and then I can tip extra to those who go above and beyond.

I refuse to prepay tips, based on principle. On my last two RCI cruises in May and August we opted to give cash tips to the waiter, assistant, head waiter and cabin steward. Nowhere in their literature about tipping guidelines did it say anything about a pool that covered those who work in the Windjammer. I felt bad that they were not being tipped as they work hard and are always cheerful and helpful.

Just my two cents worth...

I don't get it. In reality what is the difference? In one case the charges occur automatically before the cruise and in the other the charges occur automatically each day. It comes out exactly the same.... an automatic charge. And I don't get that daily charging either. Everyone is on the cruise for the same length of time. It isn't as if people are coming aboard and leaving at each port of call. Why not post it all at once? I think the cruise lines are just nervous that if people check their account on the first day of the cruise and see the total charge it might inhibit them from spending more money during the cruise.

Here is the information that I think everyone is looking for (at least this is what we were told by RCI):

Employees are guarenteed a certain amount of pay by the cruise line. This pay comes from the tips payed by the passengers. When that figure is reached by an individual employee, everything above that amount payed/ tipped to that employee is "gravy" and still given to that crew member as a job well done.

However if there aren't enough tips given to that crew member to reach that contracted amount, Royal Caribbean adds enough to top off that goal.

That way each crew member knows the minimum amount they well recieve in each pay period and hopefully, thanks to some generous passingers, they will take home a little more. We always pay our tips through our onboard account, and when someone has been especially helpful, we make an additional tip in cash, handed descretely to the crewmember.

How is that possible on Royal Caribbean? They don't have auto-tipping like the other lines. Do they just believe a crew member who tells them they didn't get the minimum? How can the cruise line prove it one way or the other? The only crew that this would be possible are those the work the MTD as well as MTD passenger as the prepaid tip includes the room steward. But all else is usually paid by cash and only the passenger and crew member will know how much was paid. Regardless of how this is done, my guess is if a crew member doesn't get the minimum it's probably better that he/she just sucks it up because if they have to have Royal (or any other cruise line) make up the difference it probably is career limiting.

I've never understood the tipping. I just prepay and that's it. For them to get extra, which I've been known to do, they have to excel.

There's a tip envelope turn in box near guest relations. What's that for?

On our last cruise, they added 15% gratuity to my Chops steak in the MDR. They also had a empty line for a write in tip.

That makes no sense at all.:rolleyes: For starters how would the cruise line monitor such a thing (or even try to),and know what cash tips were received. We give our primary tips to our waiter, asst. waiter, etc in CASH, not vouchers or on board charges.

The tipping system is a cop out by the cruise lines to get the passengers to pay the service staffs wages and make the cruise look less costly. I would much rather have the cruise line add the minimum tips into the price of the cruise like they do the taxes and port charge.

So your bill would look like this:

Fare........xxxx.xx

Tax..........xxx.xx

Port charge...xxx.xx

Staff fees.....xxx.xx

------------------------------

Total........xxxx.xx

If you feel like tipping above and beyond, then you can.

It's funny how the cruise line adds the gratuity to drinks or specialty restaurants (makes one wonder if these tips go to staff or to the suites) but leave the service staff to hope the passengers pay the gratuities.

So one of the original questions hasn't yet been answered. What about the servers in the Windjammer? Do they receive any gratuities from those of us who pre-pay tips? Or was I remiss in not giving each a few bucks each time we ate there?

My waiter told me the assisitant waiters that work the WJ during dinner are on their "off week" from the dining room and do not receive tips that week.

The waiters and assisitant waiters that work in the WJ during breakfast and lunch, then work in the dining room for dinner will receive their tips from the guests at their MDR tables.

They all know this before signing a contract. They agree to the pay they receive. It doesn't appear that they are unhappy about their salary, so why are so many cc members upset?

On land, people agree to a salary, before accepting a job. At a hair salon, the woman that shampoos hair knows her salary is lower than the hair dressers salary. She knows she might get $1-$2 from each person, while the hair dresser might get 20% of the cost of the appointment. No one tells us how much to tip back home, so why should we be told how much to tip at sea? The cruise line will give us a suggested amount and we choose the amount we wish to tip.

The crew choose to work on a ship and know their salary up front. If they receive tips from guests, then it's an added bonus and they are well aware that some guests will not tip.

There's a difference between gratuities and a required service fee. I have always enjoyed the service that I receive on my cruises and I tip the staff at least the reccommended amount, because I feel they deserved to receive these gratuities.

My waiter told me the assisitant waiters that work the WJ during dinner are on their "off week" from the dining room and do not receive tips that week.

The waiters and assisitant waiters that work in the WJ during breakfast and lunch, then work in the dining room for dinner will receive their tips from the guests at their MDR tables.

They all know this before signing a contract. They agree to the pay they receive. It doesn't appear that they are unhappy about their salary, so why are so many cc members upset?

On land, people agree to a salary, before accepting a job. At a hair salon, the woman that shampoos hair knows her salary is lower than the hair dressers salary. She knows she might get $1-$2 from each person, while the hair dresser might get 20% of the cost of the appointment. No one tells us how much to tip back home, so why should we be told how much to tip at sea? The cruise line will give us a suggested amount and we choose the amount we wish to tip.

The crew choose to work on a ship and know their salary up front. If they receive tips from guests, then it's an added bonus and they are well aware that some guests will not tip.

There's a difference between gratuities and a required service fee. I have always enjoyed the service that I receive on my cruises and I tip the staff at least the reccommended amount, because I feel they deserved to receive these gratuities.

I was going to say something along those lines but got bored defending myself..

I think the easier solution is to just include gratuities in the cruise fare, calling it a service charge(aka not optional) and then just dealing with the people whining that their cruise fair went up. :rolleyes: Anyone who wants to tip extra would still be allowed.

I made $2.13/hour as a server in New Jersey. When friends/family heard how low serving wage is, the response was "they should pay you more", not "wow, I am going to start tipping servers more".

I think the easier solution is to just include gratuities in the cruise fare, calling it a service charge(aka not optional) and then just dealing with the people whining that their cruise fair went up. :rolleyes: Anyone who wants to tip extra would still be allowed.

I made $2.13/hour as a server in New Jersey. When friends/family heard how low serving wage is, the response was "they should pay you more", not "wow, I am going to start tipping servers more".

yes you are correct BTW is that a picture of you behind the flowers

We prepay gratuities so they are listed as item in our TAs original cruise bill and don't think about it again. Crew is efficient, but we have never felt need to over tip. I don't worry that we don't give additional. I am sure the problem is the folks that don't pay tips, which I think is easier now without the envelopes for cash or vouchers to hand out. You can sit at the dining table on the last night and not feel embarassed to not hand out an envelope, making it easier to stiff the crew. I go with mandatory pre paying of tips and any waiter or attendant that gives inferior service due to their knowing they are assured of their tips would not last long when the assessments are turned in from their customers.

I'm actually on the opposite end of the spectrum. I tip extra also, but believe the specifics are a matter best kept between the employee and employer. I don't see it as any of my business. JMO. :)

Why is it your money is not your business? I mean, where they go?

RCI put gratuities on our accounts too... am I missing something in this post?

No cruise line mentions pooling on their websites. They just do it. And buffet employees are the same as in the MDR - they have a rotating schedule, we met "our" waiters during the day in the buffet.

I think you're mistaking curiosity for upset-ness.

I like to know how systems work. I'm a curious person. Just because I like to know things doesn't mean I'm upset with things. Sheesh! I'm also curious about how the ship handles trash and waste ... doesn't mean I'm upset about people using trash cans and toilets, know what I mean?

However, I do want to thank you for the WJ explanation you gave, which answered my question.

No cruise line mentions pooling on their websites. They just do it. And buffet employees are the same as in the MDR - they have a rotating schedule, we met "our" waiters during the day in the buffet.

To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet. For your convenience, this gratuity can be pre-paid before you sail by calling 1-800 PRINCESS and referencing Special Services item number 0597.

The above paragraph was coped from the Princess website...although it does not specifically say pooling, it does address the issue of tipping for buffet stewards. In the document provided on board by Royal Caribbean with the tipping guidelines, it only mentions four people who are covered by the tip amount: waiter, assistant, head waiter and room steward. It does not mention any support personnel being covered...that was my concern.

I have worked at restaurants that spread the tips out as much as possible.

Server, Busser, Hostess, Food Runner, expiditer, ect.

One place in Houston got sued because the servers had to tip the Mgrs.

I can see the cruiselines paying as many people out of the tip pool, even people that were not directly involved with the service. Maybe some officers.

Also, I can even see the cruiseline taking some of the auto-tipsfor themselves by comming up with some sort of convience/service fee..

I agree with this. Please do not involve me in this matter any more than I already am.

Archived