iPad at Sea

gliles

I have an iPad 2 and plan to bring it. I have prepurchased Internet minutes and want to know what to expect. I got the minutes just to check in at home and make sure everyone and everything is ok, not to do work or surf the web -- well maybe a little Facebook ;)

Can I connect in my cabin? We have a mini suite on the Island. Or will I need to go to the internet cafe? Either way is ok, just wondering.

Before you berate me, I did a search and couldn't find anything really recent on the subject so if I missed it - - I apologize.

Yes, you can use it in your cabin.

Be careful logging out. After you log out, re-check to make sure you cannot access the internet. Sometimes, the log-out gets hung up somehow and doesn't actually log you out. That happened to me twice on one of our recent cruises and ate up some minutes.

THANK YOU, good to know. I'll watch for that.

I have an iPad 2 and plan to bring it. I have prepurchased Internet minutes and want to know what to expect. I got the minutes just to check in at home and make sure everyone and everything is ok, not to do work or surf the web -- well maybe a little Facebook ;)

Can I connect in my cabin? We have a mini suite on the Island. Or will I need to go to the internet cafe? Either way is ok, just wondering.

Before you berate me, I did a search and couldn't find anything really recent on the subject so if I missed it - - I apologize.

Yes, all Princess cabins have WiFi and have for years. Turn on your iPad and the ship's wireless will pop up. Select it then open up Safari. The page will automatically go to the Internet log-in page:

Crown%2520Log-in%25201.jpg

Put in your First Name, Last Name, Cabin #, and your date of birth, which is your original password. You'll be taken to a page to change your password. You'll then be taken to the page to purchase your Internet package. I don't know how it works if you've pre-purchased but for Platinum/Elite, you select the package which is charged to your folio account. This amount is reversed overnight. You are taken to a page with your remaining minutes and from there, you're taken to the Internet. Your minute usage doesn't start until then.

Shutting down your iPad doesn't log you out of the system. Type either logout.com or 1.1.1.1 in the url bar and a page will appear showing how many minutes you've used and how many you have left.

Yes, all Princess cabins have WiFi and have for years. Turn on your iPad and the ship's wireless will pop up. Select it then open up Safari. The page will automatically go to the Internet log-in page:

Crown%2520Log-in%25201.jpg

Put in your First Name, Last Name, Cabin #, and your date of birth, which is your original password. You'll be taken to a page to change your password. You'll then be taken to the page to purchase your Internet package. I don't know how it works if you've pre-purchased but for Platinum/Elite, you select the package which is charged to your folio account. This amount is reversed overnight. You are taken to a page with your remaining minutes and from there, you're taken to the Internet. Your minute usage doesn't start until then.

Shutting down your iPad doesn't log you out of the system. Type either logout.com or 1.1.1.1 in the url bar and a page will appear showing how many minutes you've used and how many you have left.

Sorry, my question was more about how the signal was in the room...I wasn't clear. Obviously I know cruiselines have had wifi for years. I am an IT professional so I was just wondering about the signal.

Sorry, my question was more about how the signal was in the room...I wasn't clear. Obviously I know cruiselines have had wifi for years. I am an IT professional so I was just wondering about the signal.

Love your signature line :)

Remember that Princess sends it's signal across a sattelite, so unless there are only a few people using the internet (like on port days), the speed will be slow relative to cable internet or DSL. But if you do log on during a port call, you can get a lot done a lot faster than when everyone is logged on.

I have an iPad 2 and it worked great for me. I don't think I ever went to the internet cafe - just did it all in my room.

PS - I'm also an IT professional ;)

Love your signature line :)

Remember that Princess sends it's signal across a sattelite, so unless there are only a few people using the internet (like on port days), the speed will be slow relative to cable internet or DSL. But if you do log on during a port call, you can get a lot done a lot faster than when everyone is logged on.

I have an iPad 2 and it worked great for me. I don't think I ever went to the internet cafe - just did it all in my room.

PS - I'm also an IT professional ;)

Perfect, thanks!!!

The signal may be better in some cabins than in others.

If the signal is weak in your cabin, prop open the cabin door a little for a better signal.

You should also be able to use wifi in many of the public areas on the ship, not just the Internet Cafe.

I took my iPad on the Coral last year for the first time - signal was fine in the cabin, and I could use it whenever I chose to. We're sailing on the Golden next week, to Hawaii. Can anybody tell me, is it better to purchase minutes BEFORE we leave, by calling Princess? Do you get MORE free minutes this way than the ones on offer if you purchase on the first day of the cruise?

I took my iPad on the Coral last year for the first time - signal was fine in the cabin, and I could use it whenever I chose to. We're sailing on the Golden next week, to Hawaii. Can anybody tell me, is it better to purchase minutes BEFORE we leave, by calling Princess? Do you get MORE free minutes this way than the ones on offer if you purchase on the first day of the cruise?

Yes, the amount of extra minutes is based on the size of the package you purchase. I think they still offer extra minutes if you purchase a package on embarkation day but you get even more minutes if you pre purchase.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp

I don't know how it works if you've pre-purchased but for Platinum/Elite, you select the package which is charged to your folio account.

You will receive a card in your room on embarkation day informing you that you have a credit towards internet minutes. The credit will show up in your folio the same way it does for Platinum and Elite.

On a side note I can't believe I actually knew something Pam didn't...Hope this doesn't mean that the world is coming to an end.;):D

Is the Platinum credit amount of minutes the same whether you use Them for wifi or on the ship's computers? (sorry if dumb question..my upcoming Sapphire cruise is the first one I am using my IPAD on).

Yes, in both cased you log into the same account.

Is the Platinum credit amount of minutes the same whether you use Them for wifi or on the ship's computers? (sorry if dumb question..my upcoming Sapphire cruise is the first one I am using my IPAD on).

Actually, it is a $$ credit which can be used to purchase a package with the number of minutes that are a benefit for that voyage. When you sign on, it gives you an option to buy that package for $0 for a package with a higher number of minutes at a rate which had your credit applied.

If you wish, you can just use minutes without buying a package, but it will be significantly less minutes than the "free" package includes.

And yes, you can use your internet benefit on any combination of Internet devices you wish.

Can anybody tell me, is it better to purchase minutes BEFORE we leave, by calling Princess? Do you get MORE free minutes this way than the ones on offer if you purchase on the first day of the cruise?

A special on the first day onboard gives you x extra minutes. The number of extra minutes varies by the size package you purchase.

If bought in advance, you get 2x the number of extra minutes.

A special on the first day onboard gives you x extra minutes. The number of extra minutes varies by the size package you purchase.

If bought in advance, you get 2x the number of extra minutes.

OK, thanks Caribill. I shall phone Princess and purchase before we go :)

OK, thanks Caribill. I shall phone Princess and purchase before we go :)

On my last cruise (aboard the Diamond) I'd pre-purchased an internet package and had to go to the Internet Cafe' to get them to straighten out the bonus minutes. They were showing up as the regular extras instead of the pre-purchased double extras. Just a heads up to make sure you get all the bonus time you pay for.

THANK YOU, good to know. I'll watch for that.

It was essential we stayed in contact with the land 'mothership' so we had what we thought were lots of internet minutes with our mini suite. Trying to connect and/or stay connected - ate up 'way too many of those precious minutes. And there were LOTS of disgruntled pax expressing their displeasure at this expensive waste of time. One morning we had a senior crew member drop by our table in the International Cafe area and even tried to log in to their 'crew' access and it was still slow. Satellite reception plays a big part and in our cabin DH found the best signal was .... by the door! Needless to say, one cannot type effectively with the iPad up in the air. :p

Hi there,

We brought our iPad on the Caribbean Princess in May and it was WORLDS BETTER than the Internet Cafe!

Here's a copy/pasted exerpt from my trip report if it helps any:

Purchasing Internet minutes on board & meeting Mr. Grumpy:

This was the day that I invested in the Internet package. Being a member of Generation Y and recently investing in a iPad made me excited to not use the ships circa 2001 computers and instead get WiFi in the room. I’ll try to keep the story short, but let me just say that the Internet Café guy was rude and cranky throughout the whole cruise. I noted it in the comments at the end of the sailing.

Part of me doesn’t blame him. I woudn’t want to continuously try to help 20 people navigate slow computers with spotty signals day after day. But I later found that the signal and speed on my iPad in my room (C218) was light years faster than the sit-down computers in the café. In fact, I almost think they keep those circa 2001 computers extra dinosaur slow just to eat up your minutes and make money. But I digress…

If you have a mobile device or tablet of any sort, you do not need to go to the Internet Café to purchase a package. Simply attempt to get onto the internet on your device and a Log In screen will appear. It is there that you can choose your package.

{TIP} Always over-estimate. I picked the 150-minute plan and it wasn’t nearly enough. I wish I had saved some money and bought a bigger plan rather than buying two plans throuhgout the cruise. But if you’re only checking email once every few days, this may not apply to you.

For iPad users, your WiFi signal will recognize the “Caribbean Princess” signal. Create a password and type in your name and room number and choose your package. Your signal will be live when you see the three beacon bars appear in white (or blue) in the upper left side of the iPad.

Remember, remember, remember to type logout.com in the URL address window when you are done surfing. After you have typed logout.com, wait a moment and a screen will come up with a red stripe saying “You are now logged out from the ship’s internet”. For extra safety, I would slide my settings into Airplane Mode.

{TIP} Compose everything offline and only log on to send it. This is a godsend! I would take a picture with the iPad on our balcony, then insert it into an email and write a big huge long email to frends and family back home. I would put their addresses and “send” it, so that it would hang out in my Outbox. Then I would “log in” with the minutes I bought, it would activate and send, then I would log out. I would then only use up about 5 minutes doing this instead of 20. I would also use this method to type on Cruise Critic. I would type out whatever I wanted to post and would hit “Copy” and then I would log on and “Paste” it into the forum.

Make sure you buy the package that matches your Platinum/Elite free minutes. Don't forget that your spouse may also have free minutes under his or her name. When in some ports you may find free wifi from port sources on your ship balcony or near the windows on Horizon Court. Be very very careful in using cell phone data or even voice minutes on the ship when in port as there have been cases where the ship forgot to turn off their cell phone access network which could cause you to have a very bad day when you get the roaming bill when you get back home.

BTW: The best time to use the ship Internet is between midnight and 4 am. Data speed can sometimes be amazingly fast during those hours.

During dinner hours forget using the Ship Internet as it is like seeing a BSOD. Everything is frozen. If this happens, sooner or later the system will time you out and disconnect.

P.S. Princess likes to block Skype but occassionally they forget. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone, I just like to check Facebook once a day and make sure there are no tragedies at home...maybe send a blast email to my family. I am NOT working from vacation. I prepaid for Internet so should have an average of ~20 mins per day which should be enough.

Archived