Eurodam cabin TV - Can I hook up an iPad to it?

pdroth

Just wondering if I load up some movies/TV shows on my iPad if there is a jack on the TV where I can plug it in.

I know I should be out enjoying the nightlife and not be confined to the cabin watching TV but I have my reasons (wink wink).

Thanks in advance!!

Just wondering if I load up some movies/TV shows on my iPad if there is a jack on the TV where I can plug it in.

I know I should be out enjoying the nightlife and not be confined to the cabin watching TV but I have my reasons (wink wink).

Thanks in advance!!

Sorry, no. But the iPad has better graphics than the TV anyway (and maybe a larger screen ;))

there is a large selection of dvds on the ship that you can watch ( no charge) and you can bring your own dvds to play ( do not bring blue ray ) . TV's could be improved on the ships

Ahem, does the "wink wink" suggest OP would be bringing the kind of movies HAL wouldn't have in its DVD library? Or does the shipboard DVD library have movies like that?

Edited by bcd2010

I think the wink means that the OP and significant other may not be dressed appropriately to go out. :-)

igraf

Ahem, does the "wink wink" suggest OP would be bringing the kind of movies HAL wouldn't have in its DVD library? Or does the shipboard DVD library have movies like that?

Depends on the TV in your cabin. We're going on our first HAL cruise in November and the virtual tour of our cabin category shows a flat screen LG TV in the cabin. Don't know if that's the norm, but if it is, I can't imagine that it wouldn't have an HDMI or at the very least composite inputs. There are cables you can buy for the iPad that will allow you to connect the iPad to HDMI or composite in. The problem is that they're two different accessory kits, and they cost $29-39 each, so it would be best if you could confirm the types of inputs available on the TV. I don't know the answer to that...

Exactly... want to know if there is an HDMI or composite hookup that I can use. If there is I'll buy an adapter for the iPad as long as I know it can work.

Would love if someone on the ship can take a pic of the TV connections, if there are any, as well as the remote so I can know if the input can be changed easily.

I def don't want to carry aboard DVD's when I have everything in digital format on my iPad already.

The TV does not move on the table or shelf they are attached to. I do not think you get to back of the screen. I have wanted replay the tapes from the camcorder and there was no way to hook it up to play.

Edited by boards

Don't forget component also -- there are 3 main ways to hook up to a TV and Apple has a kit for each

We used our iPad on the Zuiderdam. I just disconnected the composite cable from the DVD player (yellow video - red & white audio). I attached a male to female gender changer into the cable and plugged my iPad into that. Easy - no need to access the back of the set.

Don't forget component also -- there are 3 main ways to hook up to a TV and Apple has a kit for each

We used our iPad on the Zuiderdam. I just disconnected the composite cable from the DVD player (yellow video - red & white audio). I attached a male to female gender changer into the cable and plugged my iPad into that. Easy - no need to access the back of the set.

stupid question - but can you do the same thing for a netbook or laptop and where would you go to look? one of our cc members is willing to do a photo demo and this would be a lot easier than arranging for some type of projection facility. I know we can't access the TV (it's attached to the wall) but if we can the dvd (without damaging it) that would be a HUGE help.

thanks so much for all those techie smart people out there:)

stupid question - but can you do the same thing for a netbook or laptop and where would you go to look? one of our cc members is willing to do a photo demo and this would be a lot easier than arranging for some type of projection facility. I know we can't access the TV (it's attached to the wall) but if we can the dvd (without damaging it) that would be a HUGE help.

You would need to find out what type of video out connections the computer has. Some older have composite which is easy, newer might have HDMI and my DVD connection would not work. The normal VGA connection will not work either.

Good luck!

Not a stupid question. Again it depends on the connections on the TV (and the laptop). If there are HDMI on both, then you'd simply need an HDMI cable. There are adapters for just about any combination. For example, most laptops will have a VGA connection. if the TV has composite in connections, you could use something like this:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3103&sku=29548&st=vga%20to%20composite

You would need to find out what type of video out connections the computer has. Some older have composite which is easy, newer might have HDMI and my DVD connection would not work. The normal VGA connection will not work either.

Good luck!

bummer - but thanks

Not a stupid question. Again it depends on the connections on the TV (and the laptop). If there are HDMI on both, then you'd simply need an HDMI cable. There are adapters for just about any combination. For example, most laptops will have a VGA connection. if the TV has composite in connections, you could use something like this:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3103&sku=29548&st=vga%20to%20composite

thanks - you usually can't connect to tv though - (outlets are on the back and the tv is on the wall) has to be done through the dvd - would this still work?

thanks - you usually can't connect to tv though - (outlets are on the back and the tv is on the wall) has to be done through the dvd - would this still work?

Yes, with the gender changer someone else posted, you could disconnect the cables from the back of the DVD player that go to the TV and connect the cable from the laptop to the cables you removed from the DVD player.

This may or may not be true. Some flat panel TVs have connectors on the side to accomodate wall mounting. What someone needs to do is volunteer to take some photos the next time they are on the Eurodam. Don't know when OP needs to know so hopefully this can be completed in time.

This may or may not be true. Some flat panel TVs have connectors on the side to accomodate wall mounting. What someone needs to do is volunteer to take some photos the next time they are on the Eurodam. Don't know when OP needs to know so hopefully this can be completed in time.

Thanks Bippie:D I didn't realize this. Great info - :D :)You learn something new every day!

My cruise is Dec 1, so plenty of time to prepare. Not sure what cabin yet - I'm a SC guarantee.

If someone could take a photo of the visible connections on a TV in a cabin that would be great.

Also, is the DVD player built-in or is there a separate unit? If separate, I would imagine I could just unplug the video/audio from that and hook into the iPad.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Thanks but I'm not new here!! Somehow my post count got reset, probably because it's been 8 years since my last cruise/visit to this site.

I'm glad to be back and hope to contribute my experiences after my trip this December.

My cruise is Dec 1, so plenty of time to prepare. Not sure what cabin yet - I'm a SC guarantee.

If someone could take a photo of the visible connections on a TV in a cabin that would be great.

Also, is the DVD player built-in or is there a separate unit? If separate, I would imagine I could just unplug the video/audio from that and hook into the iPad.

A picture, in this case, would be worth a thousand words. Having never been on the Eurodam I can't say exactly what model flat screen they're using. It's been kind of hit or miss on our last couple of cruises on the Volendam, Veendam, and Maasdam. While the flat screens were all LG models they weren't the same model. You couldn't get to the connections on the Volendam and Veendam but the Maasdam flat screen had component connections on the side. I did pull the DVD player on the Veendam just to see how they had it connected and again they were using component connections, not HDMI. Obviously, at least to me, HDMI is the better and simpler connection and maybe the newer Eurodam is set up that way. I have no interest in playing videos or DVDs but was looking to see if I could review easily view our video off our camcorder but hadn't brought the right connectors.