New Menus Debut on Coral Princess?

IECalCruiser

These new menus are now in operation on the 7 day Caribbean Princess cruises. We sampled them last week and were more than happy.

We enjoyed the medallions the night they were on the main menu and my wife had the new beef dish once, which she thought was a fine simple alternative.

A plain vanilla creme brulee is offered every meal and we had two souffles.

Many faves still there but we missed the coq au vin.

I know. Since when you have known me not to give my opinion? :) And I sure will. It'll be 17 days so if we do have the new menus, we'll have a pretty good sample. If we don't, then I probably won't know anything more than I do now.

Thanks! Will be on her 6 weeks from Friday :)

Thanks for posting the menus. I looked through them and didn't find many entrees I'd consider. I'm one of those who ordered the beef medallions a few times during a cruise. Who on earth would order a hamburger other than a kid? Why go to dinner when you could get one at the Grill? Those are rhetorical questions, BTW. I plan to order the beef medallions on my upcoming cruise, per usual. We'll see what happens.

I agree Pam! When I read the new menus I had the exact same thought: why not just go to the grill?

I look forward to your report from the Island.

These new menus are now in operation on the 7 day Caribbean Princess cruises. We sampled them last week and were more than happy.

We enjoyed the medallions the night they were on the main menu and my wife had the new beef dish once, which she thought was a fine simple alternative.

A plain vanilla creme brulee is offered every meal and we had two souffles.

Many faves still there but we missed the coq au vin.

Oooo! I may have creme brulee every night... plus souffle when they have it! :D

We had the new menu format on the Sept 2, 2012 Star Princess cruise. We were on the Star Princess in Sept 2011 as well, and we found the MDR food to be a bit better on this (2012) cruise, though we did miss the specific potato gnocchi we had on the Med. cruise. There was a different one this time. The desserts definitely were a step up ( the desserts at the buffet showed even more improvement). I don't think I ever had the beef medallions on the old menu, but my wife and I both loved the new tri-tip dish. It may be cheaper meat (not sure), but it was great. We even ordered it as a "side" to the lobster and shrimp dish. I still don't know where Princess gets such large, sweet, tender shrimp. Yumm!

They still offered escargot. I mention this because apparently there was some outrage decrying budget cuts on CC when Celebrity replaced escargot with a stuffed mushroom dish (served in the escargot serving plates). Honestly, it was nice to try escargot once, but the stuffed mushrooms on Celebrity beat out the escargot on Princess in my book!

Don't suppose you are willing to take pictures of all the menus, including the dessert menus?!

Yes, desserts please. :D

BTW, I'm with you on the burger & the comfort foods. When I was reading the previous menus to my DH, he said "did you say chili"? When I told him chili was indeed on the menu, we both got a good laugh out of it. It appears they're trying to push those of us with more advanced palates to the specialty restaurants. As long as I can get excellent food somewhere, I'll be happy.

too bad they still have that horrible pina colada "soup." Cant they just call it a virgin drink? Or maybe serve it in a bowl?

See, that's why taste is a matter of taste. I love the piña colada soup. But hey, nobody's forcing you to order it. I mean, I found the luau pork way disappointing...but I'll somehow bravely soldier on.

Hmmm, not impressed. I'm thoroughly disappointed seeing a burger on the menu every night. This "everyday" fare isn't special enough, in my opinion, for the main dining room on a cruise.

This is certainly cost-cutting. The appetizer of trio of melon certainly costs less than a dollar a serving to put on the table. I sort of can't blame them for limiting the beef entrees. They have likely been getting so many complaints about the beef they have been serving (based on my experience and what I read here) that further cost reductions there don't make any sense.

I'm almost inspired to write a letter to Chef Marzi and headquarters.

Princess clearly isn't overly excited about the menu changes, either, otherwise the marketing machine would be geared up telling us about the fantastic new cuisine.

Looking forward to seeing a complete set of 7 or 10 day menus and hearing more first-hand comments. Like a previous poster mentioned, many dishes have been on the menu for years. They've possibly had their recipes tweaked, but more or less the same. Some of these are new, like the seafood mac and cheese, and could be fantastic or horrible.

I also don't love the super contemporary feel of the menus. Reminds me of a J. Alexander or something.

Argh.

Second thought, when we are on the Star Princess later this month, will take time to provide feedback on how we feel about the menu changes on our critique. That is one way to let Princess know we think things are slipping significantly.

the sea bass looks yummy (and new). too bad they still have that horrible pina colada "soup." Cant they just call it a virgin drink? Or maybe serve it in a bowl?

We have always enjoyed the Pina Colada soup...certainly something you would not make at home...or see on the usual menu at restaurants at home ! Now, the mac and cheese is another story...a step down for a Princess menu, but I guess a good choice for those who do enjoy more common foods .

I realize I'm in a minority, but I'm excited they added a burger to the menu! I don't care for the beef steaks in the dining room. The all have a funny taste regardless of the cut. If I feel like beef in the dining room, I'll order the burger with cheese. The French fries are usually very good in the dining room. I won't go hungry! :)

If I want a steak, I'll go the specialty restaurants. Really like the steaks they serve there.

Really disappointed by these latest menu changes. Thankfully some of the items are still the same, but the changes to the always available menu are pathetic, IMHO. Princess is supposed to be a slightly upscale alternative to Carnival, but when they're both slinging burgers in the MDR, who can tell? :rolleyes:

Princess, this is cost cutting gone too far. :mad:

If I want a steak, I'll go the specialty restaurants. Really like the steaks they serve there.

That's the bean counters' desire.

Reduce the quality of beef offerings in the dining rooms so passengers will pay extra to get decent steaks elsewhere on the ship.

My husband ordered fried chicken under the comfort food part of the menu on our British Isles cruise and what was brought to him was a joke. They gave him a bowl of french fries with two little chicken wings( the appetizer kind). We sent it back with a complaint to the Chef and Maitre D. :rolleyes:

I had the chili one day for lunch and it was very good.I would not expect it to be an offering on the dinner menu along with the sirloin burger and mac and cheese however. :o

People!!!! You are not going to be forced to order and/or consume said burger. Cruise prices seem to be holding pretty much steady (at least for the ones I research prior to booking), however, food and fuel prices are not. What do you expect to happen in that case? Cutting costs is a necessary evil to remain competitive in the cruise marketplace these days and to keep owners, as many of you are, happy. Maybe some of you have outgrown the mainstream lines and need to move up to luxury lines. Whats that you say??? You can't afford the luxury lines????? You know what they say about champange tastes on a beer budget. :D Some of you may bemoan the "good old days". Well that was then and now has taken over and is not inclined to allow then to return.:eek: That is reality and reality hurts sometimes. Well, off the soapbox and back to my other reality; working so I can afford the "inferior" food on Princess.;)

Archived