Wine Question

Banjo

I know that this question has been asked ad nauseaum, but please bear with me.

8 or 9 years ago, I used to regularly bring a couple bottles of wine on board for dinner. The waiter would sometimes or sometimes not charge me a cork fee to open the wine. Never a problem getting the wine on the ship when we checked in.

Lately I kind of got out the habit of doing that when I cruised but on recent cruise in the Caribbean, I saw a bargain in a Caribbean port for some Johnny Walker and purchased 2 bottles. When I returned to the ship, security took the bottles and returned them to me the night before the cruise ended.

In 2 weeks I will be leaving Barcelona on the Solstice for a Mediterranean cruise. I like to purchase some Spanish wine just prior to leaving for my wife and I to enjoy on the veranda. My question, will they let me bring the wine on board for my wife and I to enjoy during the cruise or treat it like that Johnny Walker I purchased, take it from me when we board and return it the night before the end of the cruise?

You can bring 2 bottles of wine onboard at embarkation only to enjoy in your room/at dinner/etc. If you buy any bottles of wine or other alcohol at port stops during the cruise they will be stored for you until the end of the cruise.

And you will not be charged any corkage fee as long as you open (and drink) the wine in your stateroom. If you bring a bottle to dinner, they will charge a $25 fee.

Also, you can only bring on 2 bottles of wine when you embark. Any wine or liquor you buy during the cruise, including at the duty free shop on board, will be held and delivered to your cabin on the last night so you can pack it.

In Barcelona you can buy wine at the port. ( after you check in) We were sailing RCCL. This was the only port that they allowed wine to be brought onboard without checking it in. Also they didn't seem to be concerned about the amount. RCCL normally doesn't allow wine to be brought onboard.

In Barcelona you can buy wine at the port. ( after you check in) We were sailing RCCL. This was the only port that they allowed wine to be brought onboard without checking it in. Also they didn't seem to be concerned about the amount. RCCL normally doesn't allow wine to be brought onboard.

mom, so in the Barcelona cruise terminal they have an actual wine shop? Kind of like the duty free shops one sees at the airport after you clear customs.

This definitely would make things easy for me.

• 4 weeks later...
mom, so in the Barcelona cruise terminal they have an actual wine shop? Kind of like the duty free shops one sees at the airport after you clear customs.

This definitely would make things easy for me.

Just returned from Mediterranean cruise on the Solstice a few days ago. Prior to boarding in Barcelona they did have this large duty free shopping area in the cruise terminal.

Wow, were the cruisers sure stocking up on the wine! Most folks didn't follow the 2 bottle rule as far as I could see. I asked some the passengers on line purchasing 5 or 6 bottles of Spanish wine and they simply said, if you can put it in your carry-on and they don't see it, you have no problem getting it to your state room. Also, which really surprised me. one passenger actually purchased a whole case of San Miguel beer.

BTW, the cruise terminal shopping area did have very good prices.

From the Celebrity website

Guest Alcohol Policy

Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar, or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or from the onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest's staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Celebrity Cruises' Guest Conduct Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age. Even if all criteria are met, shipboard personnel may elect, and have the option to, not grant the waiver or any such drinking privileges. The waiver may not apply when the vessel is in certain territorial waters.

We tried very hard to have someone take our wine for storing but alas :D no one on our cruise ship would take it! As a result we, along with several others, were able to bring wine on board at several ports. We always drank this in our room on the balcony and even had a healthy bar tab when we settled up our account!:eek:

Snow bunny

We tried very hard to have someone take our wine for storing but alas :D no one on our cruise ship would take it! As a result we, along with several others, were able to bring wine on board at several ports. We always drank this in our room on the balcony and even had a healthy bar tab when we settled up our account!:eek:

Snow bunny

Snow Bunny, we kind did the same thing. I bought my 2 bottles prior to arriving at the Barcelona Cruise Terminal. Wish I would waited, prices were better in the terminal. I did not trust the comments of fellow passengers saying they would not check to purchase more. I be the one they checked. We made out all right with those two bottles, enjoying them on our balcony also. The cruise had fabulous weather. Then in Naples we bought a bottle of Italian wine and in Dubrovnik we bought a bottle of Croatian wine, which was outstanding. :)

Snow Bunny, we kind did the same thing. I bought my 2 bottles prior to arriving at the Barcelona Cruise Terminal. Wish I would waited, prices were better in the terminal. I did not trust the comments of fellow passengers saying they would not check to purchase more. I be the one they checked. We made out all right with those two bottles, enjoying them on our balcony also. The cruise had fabulous weather. Then in Naples we bought a bottle of Italian wine and in Dubrovnik we bought a bottle of Croatian wine, which was outstanding. :)

Hi Banjo, we also had our two bottles that we brought on board in Rome. Where was your wine from in Naples? I'm going to have to see if our liquor control commission can bring in the wine we had as it was outstanding!:D So in total we brought two bottles on in Rome, two bottles in Naples, one bottle in Rhodes, and two bottles in Santorini. The last two we had wrapped in bubble wrap and brought them home along with our Limoncello from Naples. The wine is long gone but we are still sipping the Limoncello!

Snow bunny

Hi Banjo, we also had our two bottles that we brought on board in Rome. Where was your wine from in Naples? I'm going to have to see if our liquor control commission can bring in the wine we had as it was outstanding!:D So in total we brought two bottles on in Rome, two bottles in Naples, one bottle in Rhodes, and two bottles in Santorini. The last two we had wrapped in bubble wrap and brought them home along with our Limoncello from Naples. The wine is long gone but we are still sipping the Limoncello!

Snow bunny

Snow bunny, glad to see you folks had a great trip.

We took the morning ship tour of Pompey, then after lunch on the ship went out walking into the center of Naples. First, we walked up to the Maschio Angiono (that big castle over looking the harbor) and walked through the museum. Then we walked a little further into town to the Galleria Umberto (a large enclosed mall). Here I found a little wine shop where I purchased the wine.

Funny you mentioned about bringing wine home, I thought about that but we were too close to our airline weight limit :mad:. I did peel off some labels of Spanish wine we liked and plan to go to our local Wine Barn (a large wine wholesaler) to see if I can get them. Also ask him if he carries any Croatian wine which I mentioned that we liked a lot.

And you will not be charged any corkage fee as long as you open (and drink) the wine in your stateroom. If you bring a bottle to dinner, they will charge a $25 fee.

Also, you can only bring on 2 bottles of wine when you embark. Any wine or liquor you buy during the cruise, including at the duty free shop on board, will be held and delivered to your cabin on the last night so you can pack it.

If I open my own bottle of wine in our cabin and bring it to dinner, will they still charge a corkage fee?:confused:

You can actually bring more then 2 bottles on board since nobody keeps count :). When you are in Barcelona you might decide to leave the ship to explore the city or perhaps to just go back inside the terminal building. When you again board the ship there is nothing stopping you from having 2 bottles of wine....even if you previously brought 2 bottles of wine aboard. Etc Etc Etc.

Hank

If I open my own bottle of wine in our cabin and bring it to dinner, will they still charge a corkage fee?:confused:

Corkage fees have nothing to do with who opens the wine. They are a sort of compromise where a restaurant allows people to bring their own (I.e. to enjoy a special bottle or a favorite wine not on the restaurant's wine list) and in exchange the restaurant assesses a fee to recoup money lost by the patron not purchasing wine from them.

You didn't give your time of reboarding, but often they do not set up the "Celebrity-holds-your-wine/liquor-table" until the afternoon reboarding rush is about to start. As stated you often can not find anyone to take it, especially in the morning. YMMV.

Thom

You didn't give your time of reboarding, but often they do not set up the "Celebrity-holds-your-wine/liquor-table" until the afternoon reboarding rush is about to start. As stated you often can not find anyone to take it, especially in the morning. YMMV.

Thom

We were usually back to the ship for the back to the boat rush. We had full days in every port except Crete!

Snow bunny

Bottles of wine also vary is size so we have looked out for the bigger bottles to have a pre-dinner drink in our cabin. Also, there is no mention of boxes of wine, we have taken those on too.
Sometimes [probably less than 50% of the time] they will hassle you for larger than 750ml bottles and / or boxes of wine. There are reports of confiscation, but also numerous reports of no problem.

Something I did not know until just now looking at the Celebrity website

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=505&faqSubjectId=59

The only exception to this policy is on our "Wine Cruises,"... guests who book a company sponsored winery tours are permitted to bring 2 bottles of wine from the winery per stateroom onboard on the day of the tour.

Thom

Bottles of wine also vary is size so we have looked out for the bigger bottles to have a pre-dinner drink in our cabin. Also, there is no mention of boxes of wine, we have taken those on too.

Three years ago, when we cruising out of Venice on a Princess ship, we stopped in the COOP market at the Piazale Roma and they had a box of red Italian Table wine for about 10 Euros. This box was 5 full liters and even had a nice carrying handle. A local lady saw me looking at the box and said that it was actually pretty drinkable wine so we bought the bottle and just walked in on the ship (nobody cared). By the time we cruised into Ft Lauderdale (18 days later) we still had at least a liter remaining which became a gift for our steward and his buddies. And that wine was not bad and tasted like it was all or mostly Sangiovese.

Hank

Archived