Disney Wonder - California Coastal Cruise - 9/16 to 9/23

iggy's mom

DH & I returned this morning from the first Disney Cruise Line California Coastal cruise. I'll be posting my review slowly but surely. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer what I can.

A little background...DH & I are both 44, no kids. It's been 8 years since our last DCL cruise. In that time we've done 4 Carnival cruises and 2 Princess cruises. Even though it had been 8 years, DCL is our favorite cruise line and we were very happy to be back.

We started our vacation the day/night before by heading up to the Disneyland Resort to have dinner at the ESPN Zone and then to see the Halloween decorations.

file_zps489d323d.jpg

file_zps20d9721a.jpg

file_zpsbd6e83b4.jpg

file_zps0e5d61d0.jpg

Sunday, September 16

Sunday finally arrived. We booked this cruise a little over a year ago, and it had seemed like it took September 2012 forever to arrive. We arrived to the port at about 10:20 and saw passengers from the previous cruise still getting off of our ship. The check-in process was smooth as there was no one in line ahead of us. At check-in we were told we'd be boarding at 11am. Toy Story was playing on a tv in the lobby and there was maybe 40 people there before us. By 11:40 the lobby was full and loud and our group number was called.

After check-in and before going into the lobby to wait, they have you go through an outside area where they have a few cars from the Cars move set up for picture taking.

file_zpsac19a647.jpg

file_zps9f305529.jpg

file_zps69179415.jpg

Once on the ship DH & I walked around and took pictures and had lunch. We also went to the spa to purchase the Rainforest pass for the week, and visited Wavebands to get our dining table changed. We requested a table for 2. They could accommodate us in second seating so we changed from first to second seating.

Some pictures from around the ship.

Mickey pool area...

file_zps258aa47f.jpg

file_zps2dfb9571.jpg

Adult pool area...

file_zpsd2980d64.jpg

file_zpsd63b8875.jpg

At 6:15pm we went to the "All Aboard: Let The Magic Begin!" show. Then after we went and watched a little of the football game in Diversions and then got ready for dinner.

We were happy that we got to start our rotation in Animator's Palate! DH found the food at dinner to be a little to "fancy" for his liking, however he definitely didn't starve. :)

100_8216_zps0ffe6afb.jpg

Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup

file_zps88cef8f3.jpg

Tomato Salad

file_zpsfaea16f1.jpg

Beef Tenderloin

file_zpse3eae26e.jpg

Salmon

file_zpsc265d10c.jpg

Chocolate Cake

100_8214_zpscc7b3523.jpg

Apple Crumble

100_8215_zpsc9ae0439.jpg

After dinner we went to the Adult Variety act. On this night there was a magic act, and we both liked his act.

When we got back to the cabin we found our first towel animal of the cruise.

file_zpsc88a85ef.jpg

Also, every cabin on the ship was given this Pixar book.

file_zps562c4eb4.jpg

:DGreat review! I'd love to do Disney, but have always thought it would be too much for an all adult party. Your photos really bring everything to life! I'm ready! Thanks for sharing!:)

Not to hijack the thread, but all our DCL cruises have been adult-only. In fact our next one is DH & me, DHs mom & her husband, DHs sister & her husband.

And we have at least 3 more planned (and no kids - well young ones, they're all adults, also).

:)

Sorry, OP, back to our regular programming

:DGreat review! I'd love to do Disney, but have always thought it would be too much for an all adult party. Your photos really bring everything to life! I'm ready! Thanks for sharing!:)

Thanks! I definitely think DCL is for adults as much as it is for kids. There is plenty of adult programming in the evening as well as during the day. You can interact or not interact with the Disney characters during the day. And, there is the adults only section of the pool.

Monday, September 17 -- Sea Day

Today was our first of 2 sea days. The second would be later in the cruise. The day started off with use going to the spa and using the Rainforest. Then it was our day for the character breakfast. The breakfast is held in Parrot Cay. The characters come to every table and the Cast Member with them uses your camera to take the pictures. Minnie Mouse, Chip & Dale, Pluto and Goofy are the characters at the breakfast.

file_zpsdf657079.jpg

We were very fortunate on this cruise to have John Lasseter sailing with us. We saw him a few times out and about and he was always nice. He gave two presentations on this day (same presentation both times) about Pixar and his history with Pixar. His spoke for a little over two hours, and both DH and I really liked his presentation.

Only picture I was able to take of the presentation.

file_zpsf2c08cba.jpg

For the balance of the day time DH did almost nothing but chill and read, although he did join me after lunch Disney Tune Trivia. He came close to winning but did not. I did a bit of joining in on the seminars, and craft time as well as hitting up the gym and some trivias.

More pictures from around the ship...

file_zps6d89195c.jpg

file_zpsce69f4ae.jpg

file_zps58e6cb3c.jpg

The weather was cool, overcast and windy. Definitely needed a light jacket out on the open decks. The pools were not used much on this day.

file_zps0922b7b0.jpg

file_zps37a479ef.jpg

file_zpsc83780ef.jpg

This night was the first formal night. The show was the Golden Mickeys. I like this show more than DH did.

file_zps69b61a0c.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this today, I know you just got back today. I'm so excited as our cruise is in two weeks. I can't wait to read more about your cruise and keep the photos coming they look fantastic. I am really enjoying the day by day details.

Just a few quick questions:

1. Did you happen to keep the daily navigators, if yes could you post pictures or a PDF or it?

2. On the semi-formal night did guests dress up on this night as well or would you say it was more business casual attire? (Did you see an tuxes?)

3. Was Pirate's night on Tuesday night when your were docked in San Francisco, if so did they do the fireworks in the San Francisco bay?

Thanks

This night we were in Parrot Cay for dinner. I always find it odd to have formal night in Parrot Cay. The two do not seem to go together.

Our server team was Leo from India and his assistant Abby from the UK. I really liked them both. We spent a lot of most nights chatting with Abby while Leo was entertaining the kids at their other two tables. Their stations consisted of our table of 2 (was really a table for 4), another table of 4 and then a table to 10.

Bay Scallops

file_zpsc28a978a.jpg

Fried Ravioli

file_zpsde2b0892.jpg

Salad

file_zpsda4b7307.jpg

Turkey Dinner

file_zpscf26a3f5.jpg

Justlove2cruisewithhubby... We are cruising in 2 weeks too. DH couldn't go with me, so I am taking only 1 of my 4 daughters.. The only one to Not have a baby this year...

Keep ousting more.. Can't wait to hear more.

This daughter has never done a Disney cruise, so we can't wait.. But again, I feel guilty she is leaving her hubby and 3 kids behind to go with her mom. But we both can't wait.

We are going on our first Disney cruise in November. I have heard others mention the Rainforest, and would like to find out more about it. Would you mind telling me about your experience there and what is available when you purchase it? Your pictures are beautiful and they are really getting me in the mood for our cruise.

Thanks,

Peggy

Hi there, our Family is going to travel with DCL this coming September 30.

Thank you very much for the photos. I have a couple of questions.

You said in your first post that you arrived at 10:20 a.m. Correct?

Then I have a Boarding time of 11:30 a.m. on my itineary, do you think I should also arrive at 10:20 a.m.?

Also, did you bring any alcholol on board? If so, would a backpack work? Or more of a carrie on bag?

Thank you.

Also, did you bring any alcholol on board? If so, would a backpack work? Or more of a carrie on bag?

Thank you.

Either or - they just don't want you to put in checked bags. It has to fit through scanner (like at airport type scanner).

Tuesday, September 18 - San Francisco, Day #1

This was our first of 2 consecutive days in San Francisco. I had intended to get up early to be on the upper deck when we went under the Golden Gate Bridge, however I decided not to. Sunrise was to be at 6:54am and according to the navigator for the day, we would be sailing under the bridge at about 5:45am. I sort of wish I had just gone ahead at gone outside but oh well.

We started the day by going to the Rainforest, then getting ready, having breakfast and taking some pictures.

Some pictures taken from the top deck to the Disney Wonder.

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

Archived