celebrity cruisers seem aggresive .

abnpaul

I really don't see a big difference on this board with others.

Keith

Yup, me neither. There are some very nasty people (no names needed ;)) at least on the RCCL board which I frequent.

I'm not one of them, of course. :p

Don't you just love threads that just bait people to make hostile comments? I've discovered that some of the most negative and/or aggressive posters are people who have never experienced a Celebrity cruise. My guess is the same is true on other boards as well. Some folks just like to start a controversy and laugh at the results. Some are "loyalists" of other lines and just want to get a shot at Celebrity cruisers. How do I know this to be the case? Very simply: I've been on many Celebrity cruises and cases of aggressive behavior are few and far between. This is most true on longer cruises where you tend to find more experienced cruisers. There are to be sure some "snobs" and quite frankily people I just don't want to meet. My guess is that they are such a small number of posters that most of us could list them quite easily.

This is my first cruise on any line . I joined the site to find information and I did , however I was really looking forward to my cruise but after seeing some debates wondered what I have got myself into . I only hope I meet these lovely people on my upcoming voyage.

So from reading above, are certain classes of people attracted to a certain cruise line .

Personally I simply looked for the route it was taking and what facilities were on board . Maybe a little more investigation was required before booking.

You find all types of people on every line. I really don't know how you define "classes". In my view personal wealth and social status don't necessarily indicate behavior. I know some who might be considered "upper crust" whose behavior is rude and crude. This being said, each line seems to attract a slightly different demographic. Celebrity apprears to be an older demographic than Carnival and a bit younger than HAL. Of course this can depend on the length of the cruise. I really don't enjoy the short party cruises, but really enjoy TAs. People select a line for many different reasons. Some base their choice on cost. Some look at ports of call. Some look at their past experiences with a particular line. Some select based on date of the cruise. Just curious: Have you've actually cruised on Celebrity and what was your experience with the people you met onboard?

I think older folks want stability, predictability. Its a comfort thing. I think rum runners, jeans on formal night, no lobster etc. points to changing times--both financially for the cruise line and demographically for the cruiser. That change is troubling to many older --more travelled folks who wear their cruise line like a confortable pair of slippers. They get defensive when they see change--internal or external.

jmho

Paul

So insulting I am not sure where to begin. Your age discrimination is showing big time. So I will pick just one point - posting disagreements with a change is not necessarily a comfort thing, nor the fact that we "older" folks want stability. (stability?!?! are you kidding me?!?!). Did you ever consider - maybe sometimes we just don't like the change. Maybe it is not a good change. Some change is good and some change is not good. Anyone who has paid attention to the US economy the past however many years knows full well that change is not always good for heavens sake (and this was deliberately worded so as not to point fingers to either side).

ps

Yes, I definitely admit to getting defensive on this particular post. Have experienced way too much ageism in this country since I got to AARP age that I cannot let it pass without comment:)

This is my first cruise on any line . I joined the site to find information and I did , however I was really looking forward to my cruise but after seeing some debates wondered what I have got myself into . I only hope I meet these lovely people on my upcoming voyage.

I can assure you that you will meet some very fine people and may actually develop new friendships. Be certain to go to the roll call for your cruise and join in the discussions, You'll get a much better idea of your fellow cruisers. Also be sure to register for the Cruise Critic Party where you will have an opportunity to meet and greet those on your roll call. Ignore the handful of negative posters on this and other boards. Enjoy your cruise and be sure to report back to us.

You find all types of people on every line. I really don't know how you define "classes". In my view personal wealth and social status don't necessarily indicate behavior. I know some who might be considered "upper crust" whose behavior is rude and crude. This being said, each line seems to attract a slightly different demographic. Celebrity apprears to be an older demographic than Carnival and a bit younger than HAL. Of course this can depend on the length of the cruise. I really don't enjoy the short party cruises, but really enjoy TAs. People select a line for many different reasons. Some base their choice on cost. Some look at ports of call. Some look at their past experiences with a particular line. Some select based on date of the cruise. Just curious: Have you've actually cruised on Celebrity and what was your experience with the people you met onboard?

My first cruise ever . Normally I do 1 city break 1 short European break and a long haul each year . This is all new to me :confused:

Are there some snarky posters on here? Certainly, just as there are on each and every cruise line's threads. Are there anymore than on other cruise lines, certainly not and yes, I do frequent another line postings. But I have to say, I find the passengers on Celebrity to be very warm and welcoming, otherwise I would not continue to cruise on Celebrity. Have I run into some unfriendly, rude, aggressive passengers, sure, but that is the minority. And BTW, I've met those same kind of people on Crystal, Princess, Costa, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Special Expeditions, Abercrombie and Kent, etc., but it is always, just like Celebrity a very, very small percentage.

I think some just like to push people's buttons, like the one that made this comment: now put that in your pipe and smoke it. Was a comment like this really needed no, but you really can't control what others post. But what you have to do is look at how one posts and decide if you want to communicate with them or not. I truly believe that people attrack people that are more like them then not, so I don't think you will have any problems on your first Celebrity cruise.

If I had read this board before my first Celebrity cruise I would not have booked it.

We have been on many now, and I can assure you the people you come across on a Celebrity ship will not be snobs. At least there will be no more than in your every day life.

You will have fun.:)

Also I take back the word aggressive , protective is definitely the more appropriate word. If I knew how to go back to the title and change it , I would.

Pot-A-to, Pot-a-to! :rolleyes: What's really important to keep in mind is that the folks on these boards make up only a small fraction of the total number of cruisers you will meed on any ship. One suggestion: if you have already booked a cruise, go to the Roll-Call boards and find the thread for your cruise. That's a good place to meet some of the people that you'll really be cruising with. I think that you'll find some friendly and helpful folks over there. :cool:

I noted on a thread about Elite perks that the posters on this Celebrity board seem more contentious than on others, and that I hoped people would be in a better mood once on board. I was assured that they would be, so I don't worry about it, but I agree that people on this board tend to be more argumentative.

Ditto on that. Last yr. bookended a two wk. land trip with a 7day cruise first with CCL Dream and ended with CEL Eclpise. Guess which one was the less expensive, and guess which one I'm doing B2B on this yr.? Yes I thought it might be a bit stuffy on X since it was our first, vs almost all the others, but guess what, same folks as all the rest, out to have a great adventure. But I do agree that some posters seem a little taken with themselves. The salt air desolves that LOL

I noted on a thread about Elite perks that the posters on this Celebrity board seem more contentious than on others, and that I hoped people would be in a better mood once on board. I was assured that they would be, so I don't worry about it, but I agree that people on this board tend to be more argumentative.

I know that I've voiced my opinion on Elite perks and I can be quite strong in giving my opinion. Don't know how frequently you've been on a Celebrity cruise and if you are Elite, but let's just say that frequent cruisers who are Elite understand the problems with the program as it is currently designed. Don't want to say much here since any comments would hijack this thread. I believe rather than "aggressive" some of us tend to be "strong advocates" for our positions and recommendations. This is a positive rather than a negative since we simply want to enhance the total experence.

Are there some snarky posters on here? Certainly, just as there are on each and every cruise line's threads. Are there anymore than on other cruise lines, certainly not and yes, I do frequent another line postings. But I have to say, I find the passengers on Celebrity to be very warm and welcoming, otherwise I would not continue to cruise on Celebrity. Have I run into some unfriendly, rude, aggressive passengers, sure, but that is the minority. And BTW, I've met those same kind of people on Crystal, Princess, Costa, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Special Expeditions, Abercrombie and Kent, etc., but it is always, just like Celebrity a very, very small percentage.

I think some just like to push people's buttons, like the one that made this comment: now put that in your pipe and smoke it. Was a comment like this really needed no, but you really can't control what others post. But what you have to do is look at how one posts and decide if you want to communicate with them or not. I truly believe that people attrack people that are more like them then not, so I don't think you will have any problems on your first Celebrity cruise.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it was posted on a heated smoking thread and was intended to put a bit of light hearted humour into the dabate.

smoking thread = smoke + pipe !

silly me , of course you are going to take it to the extreme , why not ? as i already mentioned Defensive, protective , maybe aggressive light humour....NO WAY.

Thankyou its nice to be aware of the kind of people i will be cruising with.

I have found out a few things on this site that i know to be aware of

1. I will be hung drawn and quatered if i smoke on a balcony

2.Given dirty looks if i smoke in the designated area near the spa

3.reported if i drink my husbands drink

4.must be vigilant at all times in case my son breaks into a run.

5.must not take food from the boat

6. do not and i mean do not ( there is even a name for it !)bring alcohol on the boat.

On the upside i did find a couplke of bits of info that interested me

The cc breakfast menu is good and sometimes its sunny in the med.

If anything, I've noticed that the "regulars' on the Celebrity board tend to have less patience with people who may new to the boards or new to cruising. But I've never had a problem with any the pax on board Celebrity ships.

But like all boards this one has the cheerleader types that just don't want to hear anything bad about "their" line. And the same regular debates about following or breaking rules (booze, kids, formal dress, chair hogs)

My first cruise ever . Normally I do 1 city break 1 short European break and a long haul each year . This is all new to me :confused:

Cruising is very different than other kinds of vacations...but it's really wonderful. Unpack once and you get to literally experience a bird's-eye view of the world, while lounging with a cocktail in hand.

I've been a member of this board for many years, and yes, some critics can be a tad bit vocal...but most are helpful and really want to give you an unbiased opinion and share their exciting experiences.

Go and have a wonderful cruise!

Every once in a while, I still have to remind myself not to confuse Cruise Critic with the Real World. ;) It's a great resource for information, but it's really important to step back sometimes and realize that the heated arguments that go on do not reflect the onboard atmosphere. The vast majority of people onboard will be friendly, civilized people who are too busy enjoying themselves to be bothered with policing the behavior of others.

Also when you've been reading these boards for a while, you start to realize that certain posters feel strongly about certain subjects and can be counted on to jump in when those subjects come up. (For example, I tend to jump in when kids and families are being discussed.) So there's a lot of re-hashing of the same old arguments over and over again, without an end or resolution!

If anything, I've noticed that the "regulars' on the Celebrity board tend to have less patience with people who may new to the boards or new to cruising. But I've never had a problem with any the pax on board Celebrity ships.

But like all boards this one has the cheerleader types that just don't want to hear anything bad about "their" line. And the same regular debates about following or breaking rules (booze, kids, formal dress, chair hogs)

I guess I'm a "regular" and quite honestly find that many like me really enjoy helping the new Celebrity cruiser both on these boards and on the ships when we meet. The same questions are asked over and over again and answered over and over again. Can become a bit frustrating; however, most recognize that all the questions are new to the newbie cruiser. I tend to lose patience with some people who tend to distort or provide what they know is wrong information.

Why would one be a "cheerleader"? Perhaps they work for the company. I've never met one who is an employee. Perhaps they have lots of X stock? I have 202 shares, but that's not enough to give me a stake in the company. Perhaps they just love the total experience and feel that they are returning to family when they board a ship. That's me and perhaps sometimes I'll defend my "family". To be fair, I've never seen a poster who was blindly loyal. I believe that my posts are typical of most "regulars". Explore the record of my posts and you'll find many examples of expressions of dissatisfaction with many things. Think about it, if I didn't enjoy the product why would I be spending my money on it at least 10 times a year.

Every once in a while, I still have to remind myself not to confuse Cruise Critic with the Real World. ;) It's a great resource for information, but it's really important to step back sometimes and realize that the heated arguments that go on do not reflect the onboard atmosphere. The vast majority of people onboard will be friendly, civilized people who are too busy enjoying themselves to be bothered with policing the behavior of others.

Also when you've been reading these boards for a while, you start to realize that certain posters feel strongly about certain subjects and can be counted on to jump in when those subjects come up. (For example, I tend to jump in when kids and families are being discussed.) So there's a lot of re-hashing of the same old arguments over and over again, without an end or resolution!

I agree about jumping in. My personal pet peeve is when people reassure someone that they will not get seasick because they didn't get seasick, or you will not feel motion because they did not feel motion on their cruise, in this location, on this ship, etc.. I am passionate about it because I do get seasick and I know these statements are untrue and I don't want someone with similar problems to get false assurances. I can adamantly express my opinion, but try not to do it in a way that is insulting or demeaning. Unfortunately, that is one problem with the written word (which is why if you have something sensitive to convey, never do it in email). It is subject to misinterpretation of intention, and most of all tone. Jokes have been misunderstood, passionate debates have been misconstrued as arguments, and so on. It happens to the best of us.

If anything, I've noticed that the "regulars' on the Celebrity board tend to have less patience with people who may new to the boards or new to cruising.

True. Especially when the new people want to change an established cruise line to suit their particular preferences. Instead of booking with Celebrity for what it is, they want to change it to what they want it to be. Unfortunately, many of the long time Celebrity cruisers like it just the way it is and don't want it changed. Can't fault them for trying to protect a product they like.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it was posted on a heated smoking thread and was intended to put a bit of light hearted humour into the dabate.

smoking thread = smoke + pipe !

silly me , of course you are going to take it to the extreme , why not ? as i already mentioned Defensive, protective , maybe aggressive light humour....NO WAY.

Thankyou its nice to be aware of the kind of people i will be cruising with.

I have found out a few things on this site that i know to be aware of

1. I will be hung drawn and quatered if i smoke on a balcony

2.Given dirty looks if i smoke in the designated area near the spa

3.reported if i drink my husbands drink

4.must be vigilant at all times in case my son breaks into a run.

5.must not take food from the boat

6. do not and i mean do not ( there is even a name for it !)bring alcohol on the boat.

On the upside i did find a couplke of bits of info that interested me

The cc breakfast menu is good and sometimes its sunny in the med.

You are new to cruising so it's all a learning curve to you yet. Some of the things you mention, though, are hard-fast rules on both Celebrity and the cruise ship industry as a whole. Regarding #1, you absolutely may not smoke on the balcony of any Celebrity ship. (If you sail Royal Caribbean, however, you may, but not on X.) You can almost be assured that if someone on a Celebrity ship smells smoke on your balcony, they will make a complaint and you may be fined. I think the fee is $250 or thereabouts. Celebrity is known for its clean air balconies--you don't w ant to mess around with this one! #2 I've never noticed anyone giving anyone dirty looks if they're smoking in a place that's designated for their use and enjoyment. The dirty looks start if they're not in their allotted territory! #3 I guess you're referring to the drink package? True, it is Celebrity rule that if one person in the cabin buys the package, the other must too. "Share and share alike" may be part of married life but it stops with the drinks package. ;) #4 No one likes any child running amok but I hope you haven't formed the impression that Celebrity passengers dislike children because that's not true! There typically aren't as many children aboard as sister line Royal Caribbean, but the ones that do cruise certainly aren't considered a nuisance! #5 No, you mustn't take certain foods from the ship, such as fruits and vegetables, but that's not Celebrity's rule. That is the rule of every port no matter where you go. #6 Celebrity allows you 2 bottles of wine per cabin but you are correct in saying that all other alcohol is forbidden and will be taken and not returned to you, either. That's clearly stated at the port so you know well beforehand the fate of any contraband bottles.

Having not perused the other boards in any depth, I cannot say if the Celebrity board is more aggressive. What I can say is a person's behavior changes when on the internet. People will say things on a chat board they would not even consider saying in a room of people.

A link for anyone interested:

http://users.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/disinhibit.html

Archived