“Big Picture” question for planning Mediterranean cruise

CruiseTraveler101

We are going on a Mediterranean cruise in October. As I was planning it, I realized that I was gravitating toward doing similar things in each port. Seeing as medieval Mediterranean port towns can have many similarities, I thought maybe I should plan the trip based upon having different experiences. So, I would love to hear what travelers felt were their best experiences along these categories in these ports (towns) Nice (or St. Paul de Vence), Portofino, Sorrento, Messina (or Taormina, Castelmola), Valleta (Mdina), Corfu, Kotor, Korcula, Venice.

1. Coolest medieval city for exploring maze-like streets and nooks and crannies.

2. Most memorable view

3. Most memorable meal or snack (Can be the people, the location, unusual food, atmosphere, etc.)

4. Most memorable short experience like boat ride into a grotto, tour through cave, etc.

5. Most memorable experience of local trades like glass-blowing, wine-making, jewelry making, etc.

6. Nicest walk?

7. Most memorable places or experiences not in the guidebooks – maybe found on the way to a place in the guidebook.

Any and all ideas are welcomed!

We are going on a Mediterranean cruise in October. As I was planning it, I realized that I was gravitating toward doing similar things in each port. Seeing as medieval Mediterranean port towns can have many similarities, I thought maybe I should plan the trip based upon having different experiences. So, I would love to hear what travelers felt were their best experiences along these categories in these ports (towns) Nice (or St. Paul de Vence), Portofino, Sorrento, Messina (or Taormina, Castelmola), Valleta (Mdina), Corfu, Kotor, Korcula, Venice.

1. Coolest medieval city for exploring maze-like streets and nooks and crannies.

2. Most memorable view

3. Most memorable meal or snack (Can be the people, the location, unusual food, atmosphere, etc.)

4. Most memorable short experience like boat ride into a grotto, tour through cave, etc.

5. Most memorable experience of local trades like glass-blowing, wine-making, jewelry making, etc.

6. Nicest walk?

7. Most memorable places or experiences not in the guidebooks – maybe found on the way to a place in the guidebook.

Coolest Med. city was Girona (about an hour from Barcelona). After that we liked Eze

Most memorable short experience was the boat ride from Salerno to Amalfi (Could also go from Sorrento)

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/mmkbx75/Amalfi3.jpg

What strikes me about your list of ports on this cruise is the absence of ports with good ancient ruins.

About the only place you could experience this would be if you go to Pompeii (closer) or Herculaneum (a bit farther) from Sorrento.

To me, this seems like a "must see" on a cruise to the Mediterranean -- which was all part of the ancient Roman empire. However, I notice that ruins aren't on your list of experiences, so perhaps it's just not something of interest to you.

My 2 cents ;) I thought Venice was the coolest city to find maze like streets and nooks and cranies..and trust me, you will get lost! Also, having ciccetti (think Italian tapas) in Venice was a pretty nice way to have lunch. In Corfu, the Old Fort had pretty amazing views. Local treats were kumquat liquer and candy. I wont be hitting the other places you mentioned until May. Maybe you can tell ME what to see and do:rolleyes:

In Sorrento, here is an amazing day you will always remember (we just returned from doing a B2B totaling 24 nights on the Carnival Breeze, and this tour was one of the very best!)

Put together a group of 6-8 on your roll call. Contact Joe Banana limo tours. Ask for Paolo to be your driver if possible--he's great and so much fun. First go to Pompeii (hire a private guide there, its well worth the €100 or so it will cost your group). Then go toward Positano, and make sure Paolo knows you want to go to the family restaurant high above Positano (I think it's called Tagliata). Awesome!!! €25 per person for lunch, with many courses and wine served family style, on a patio with a view to die for! Then visit Positano and Sorrento.

So, I would love to hear what travelers felt were their best experiences along these categories in these ports (towns) Nice (or St. Paul de Vence), Portofino, Sorrento, Messina (or Taormina, Castelmola), Valleta (Mdina), Corfu, Kotor, Korcula, Venice.

2. Most memorable view

6. Nicest walk?

Hmmm, I haven't been to all these ports so will comment on those I have:

1. Nice: Eze was pretty cool. Homes carved right into the rock with little hobbit looking doors. Shops, restaurants etc. all right there on "the rock" Views were spectacular. Castelmola was also very medieval feeling. We did a private tour and arrived before anyone else. Had the place all to ourselves until we went to leave.

2. Corfu had some pretty amazing views as did Eze and Castelmola.

3. This is a hard one. Corfu we went to a Greek restaurant in a small seaside village. The owner did a few traditional dances for us with one being quite amusing. He began with picking up a glass with his teeth, then moved onto larger and larger items ending with picking up one of the tables with his teeth. In Eze we had a wonderful French meal with the food being the memorable item.

4. While in Nice we were "up close and personal" with the French President quite by accident.

5. Again, in Eze, there is a wonderful little shop (carved into the rock) where an elderly gentlemen carves wooden items. One of my favorite items were old men faces that were each unique and quite amazing.

6. We enjoyed strolling Taormina.

7. I don't really "do" guidebooks so not sure I can answer this one.

Hope this helps.

Coolest Med. city was Girona (about an hour from Barcelona). After that we liked Eze

Most memorable short experience was the boat ride from Salerno to Amalfi (Could also go from Sorrento)

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/mmkbx75/Amalfi3.jpg

Oh beautiful, it brought my memory back... I love it Amalfi drive...

Scottishwee35

Sounds like you are sailing Pacific Princess, right? We just got off her and had a wonderful time doing the exact same itinerary.

To answer your questions, here goes:

1. Coolest medieval city for exploring maze-like streets and nooks and crannies: St Paul de Vence was nice (you can take the bus from Nice for 2 euros pp round trip), as was Korcula

2. Most memorable view: Definitely has to be the view from the top of the 25th hairpin turn on the road above Kotor! It's magnificent.

3. Most memorable meal or snack (Can be the people, the location, unusual food, atmosphere, etc.): Paying 4 euros (total!) for a local beer, a Kinnie (local soda), and two pastizzi's at a local Pastizzeria.

4. Most memorable short experience like boat ride into a grotto, tour through cave, etc.: Taking a boat ride from Portofino to San Fruttuosso

5. Most memorable experience of local trades like glass-blowing, wine-making, jewelry making, etc. : Watching the glass-blowers on Murano

6. Nicest walk? Don't have one in particular....

7. Most memorable places or experiences not in the guidebooks – maybe found on the way to a place in the guidebook: Loved renting a car and going to Old Perithia in Corfu. There are 5 tavernas (great food!) there and a bunch of crumbling ruins. There is also one B&B in operation (we met the very gracious owner) who is working hard to get more of the buildings restored. It was a great day, and it is a very pleasant ride up the coast to the village.

I worked with a lot of independent tour operators to arrange tours for people on our roll call. Please let me know if you'd like any info about those as we had great private excursions. Enjoy your cruise!

Suzan

2. Most memorable view

6. Nicest walk?

We have done lots and lots by land trips in Italy, France, Spain, etc. As you can see in my live/blog below from last year, we enjoyed some of the port stops in which you are interested. Also, see below more detailed, specialized links for Kotor and Venice with lots of my pictures, etc. I have not been, YET!!, to Valleta, Corfu, Korcula, Portofino or Sicily. Look forward to do those in the future.

Sorrento is nice, but I would focus more of my limited time doing the nearby Amalfi Coast, maybe Pompeii, etc. Near Nice, I super loved Eze. See more details below. Don't miss being on the top deck of your ship when you sail into or out of super historic Venice.

Below are just a few of my photo highlights. Reactions and added questions/needs?

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 8,785 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 15,000 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

COASTAL SUGGESTION: The old village of Eze, along the coast between Nice and Monaco, hangs up in the mountains above the water and crowds. It's wonderful to visit. Great, great views! Totally charming! Have lunch or dinner there at one of the two great eating places and feel like you're sitting on the edge of paradise! We ate at the Château Eza. Its website: http://www.chateauezarestaurant.com. At 1,407 feet above the Mediterranean, Eze offers commanding views of cliffs, sea, sprawling estates and off-shore islands. The village's narrow streets or more really paths among the buildings lead to the Jardin Exotique It is a maze of paths flanked by mammoth flowering plants and spiky cactuses. For about $3, you can walk up to the best view on the French Riviera. On a clear day, you can see Corsica! It does not get much better than Eze. Their tourism office:

http://www.eze-riviera.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 104,795 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Don’t miss the sail-in and/or sail-out for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata during our private tour for our small group through RomeInLimo. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

Along the Amalfi coast, here is the luxury hotel where Hillary Clinton stayed as First Lady when visiting this scenic area.:

AmalfiHillaryLuxHotel.jpg

From high above Kotor, this is the view of the fjord bay with the Solstice in prime position to soak up the spectacular sun on our visiting day there. Getting up early to do the sail-in for these dramatic scenery was great fund and interesting.:

KotorHarborViewSolstice.jpg

This is the walled gate as we entered Kotor to see in various historic buildings, many churches and shops. YES, they have lots of shops, whether needed or not!!:

KotorMainEntrancePalms.jpg

As you sail in and out of Kotor, you see these two island with church built on them. Near Perast there are two small islands: one is called St. George island, and the other called Gospa od Škrpjela (Our Lady of the Rock), and each has a picturesque chapel. Gospa od Škrpjela is particularly interesting given that it is the only artificially built island in the Adriatic These are not natural island, but built up there over the years. Spectacular sighting.:

2KotorTwoIslandSailIn.jpg

Korcula is lovely, like a mini Dubrovnik. When we were there last year on a land tour, there were three cruise ships there, one small one docked and two at anchor. We were glad when they left and we had the tiny old town almost to ourselves. I hope there are not three ships the day you are there.

Be sure to tour the tower and museum dedicated to Marco Polo who reputedly was from there (when it was part of Venice at times).

The old town is wonderful with lots of little shops and restaurants and water views.

We were on our way out of the Jewish quarter in Rome, when we came across the Largo di Torre Argentina, a huge area of early ruins that was uncovered when major streets and blocks were being reconstructed after the unification of Italy in the early 20th cent. There are temples that predate the Roman empire, as well as the remains of Pompey's theater. But you can't walk among these ruins - they are a cat sanctuary!

Cats are special to the people of Rome, because they killed the rats that brought the plague. When the runins were discovered, the cats moved in and volunteers to take care of the cats soon followed.

This is not something I could find in any guide book; we had to run across it ourselves. It's possible that we would have found it on the internet - but only if we were looking.

Rome is a lot like this. You walk toward the Pantheon, and come across a statue of an elephant with an obelisk on its back. The elephant is about 500 years old, but the obelisk is one that was taken from Egypt, and is thousands of years old. That I found out about in City of the Soul: A Walk in Rome, by William Murray (not a guide book, but a personal view of the city), but it was still a pleasant surprise to find it, because I hadn't been looking for anything in particular.

By the way, if you are interested in the cats, go soon, since politicians are trying to have them removed. http://www.romancats.com/index_eng.php

You walk toward the Pantheon, and come across a statue of an elephant with an obelisk on its back. The elephant is about 500 years old, but the obelisk is one that was taken from Egypt, and is thousands of years old.

This is located in Piazza della Minerva and even though a bit small, it is my favorite of the obelisks I have encountered so far. We like to stay right in that neighborhood so know it well :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Pigna_-_piazza_della_Minerva_con_il_Pulcino_e_il_Pantheon_2880.JPG

There is a wonderful store on the corner (in the left of the picture) where you can buy candies, pastas and so much more.

Archived