TA or no TA

Ashfry

What are the pros/cons to having a TA?

Is it easier to get the exact room u want with a TA or can I do that myself by calling princess?

Do you save money either way?

Just don't know if we really need to use one or not???

We are going to Alaska June 2013 so I need to prob book soon....

A TA can provide you amenities such as on board credits that the cruise line doesn't and a good TA can help you with issues with the cruise line.

But like all professionals there are strong, average and weak TA's so try to get recommendations from friends, colleagues, etc.

Some TA's charge a fee if you cancel the cruise so be sure you know of any costs that they charge. Many don't.

Keith

There is going to be a "TA" involved in most cases. The differences are online, walk up and cruiseline. IF you are booking based on price- then it can be advantage to compare several booking options.

IF you are looking for Alaska "information" then you are FAR better off, heading to your library and doing online research. Having even basic knowledge is necessary so you know differences that are NOT apparent and the ability to determine your trip priorities. Once you have some knowledge the better off you will be, since it will be easy to look at itineraries and pick up the differences than may be important to you.

Generally cabin inventory is the same no matter how you book. The differences would be if a particular agent has contracted group space. It does no harm to call/email around for availability.

The answer for us is sometimes yes we use a Travel Agent and sometimes we don't.

To us an experienced highly professional TA is a wonderful asset. However for flights only trips (non cruises) I'm very likely to do it myself.

For cruises and complicated trips I want and need a TA.

If you have a good TA, then by all means use them. Key word here is "good". The TA I used. . . not so much. I know you can sometimes get some deals and such, but nothing was available when I booked my trip. The agency recently came out with a deal for some onboard credits if booking by a certain date. I just sent her a shout asking if she can do something to qualify me for this campaign. That was back on Sept 21 and I haven't heard anything back from her yet.

In my experience, I could have done it all without a TA but figured since this was my first trip, I wanted someone who knew what they were doing to go ahead and do it for me so nothing got messed up, but I really don't think I got a "good" TA. Half the time I'd send her questions and she would only answer a few, and sometimes not at all.

I did so much research on this forum and other sites and such that I really had a good idea of what I wanted to do. She mentioned a few things, but nothing really about excursions and such and then didn't really offer up suggestions. Could be that I seemed to really know what I wanted and she might not have been up to Alaska (never asked).

When we were talking about flights she kept saying "the prices right now are really good, they're as low as I've seen them" but couldn't get a direct answer on comparisson prices and a breakdown of the total fee so I could shop and compare. She finally did and I found the flight itinerary she was going to book us on. DH didn't like the takeoff time (really early in the morning), or the first plane so we found a flight on a different airline that left later in the morning, on a plan DH (who doesn't like to fly) would tolerate, and our arrival time in Vancouver is earlier then the flight schedule the TA wanted to put us on. Plus, our flights came to about $200 cheeper booked directly with the airlines than what the TA had quoted booking through her.

If I could do it over, I wouldn't be using this one. Found out last month that DH's parent's friends travel extensively and have an awesome TA. Had we known that, we would have gone with her instead of the one we're currently using. Lesson learned! We might try that other TA for our next trip, or simply go about it ourselves since that's pretty much what we did with this trip.

If you have a good TA, then by all means use them. Key word here is "good". The TA I used. . . not so much. I know you can sometimes get some deals and such, but nothing was available when I booked my trip. The agency recently came out with a deal for some onboard credits if booking by a certain date. I just sent her a shout asking if she can do something to qualify me for this campaign. That was back on Sept 21 and I haven't heard anything back from her yet.

In my experience, I could have done it all without a TA but figured since this was my first trip, I wanted someone who knew what they were doing to go ahead and do it for me so nothing got messed up, but I really don't think I got a "good" TA. Half the time I'd send her questions and she would only answer a few, and sometimes not at all.

I did so much research on this forum and other sites and such that I really had a good idea of what I wanted to do. She mentioned a few things, but nothing really about excursions and such and then didn't really offer up suggestions. Could be that I seemed to really know what I wanted and she might not have been up to Alaska (never asked).

When we were talking about flights she kept saying "the prices right now are really good, they're as low as I've seen them" but couldn't get a direct answer on comparisson prices and a breakdown of the total fee so I could shop and compare. She finally did and I found the flight itinerary she was going to book us on. DH didn't like the takeoff time (really early in the morning), or the first plane so we found a flight on a different airline that left later in the morning, on a plan DH (who doesn't like to fly) would tolerate, and our arrival time in Vancouver is earlier then the flight schedule the TA wanted to put us on. Plus, our flights came to about $200 cheeper booked directly with the airlines than what the TA had quoted booking through her.

If I could do it over, I wouldn't be using this one. Found out last month that DH's parent's friends travel extensively and have an awesome TA. Had we known that, we would have gone with her instead of the one we're currently using. Lesson learned! We might try that other TA for our next trip, or simply go about it ourselves since that's pretty much what we did with this trip.

You could check if your current TA has a cancellation fee. If not, you may just want to cancel your cruise (you seem to be well before final payment) and start over.

You could check if your current TA has a cancellation fee. If not, you may just want to cancel your cruise (you seem to be well before final payment) and start over.

True, but I booked a specific room and am concerned that I won't be able to get it again.

We sort of changed TAs before final booking - our trusted friend closed his own agency and joined forces with a major travel agency. We booked with them through him. Just after we booked, he was laid off. It took several weeks, but he got his own agency back on it's feet. So we changed our booking back to our friend. To do so we had to fill out forms with NCL and both travel agents that stated that we initiated the change in TAs. So as long as there are no fees involved for changing the booking - it is quite easy.

• 3 months later...
True, but I booked a specific room and am concerned that I won't be able to get it again.

That "awesome" TA you heard about should be able to help you transfer your booking so you can keep your cabin as well as offer you anything else available such as onboard credit, etc. For the last cruise I booked, I booked directly with the cruise line to get the cabin I wanted. They were offering no OBCs at the time so I checked around with web agencies and found a fantastic deal. I then contacted the cruise line and had the booking transferred. All it took was a call to the TA and an email to the cruise line with the agency name and phone number. I have found that web TAs can save several hundred $ off what the cruise line offers in addition to OBC and sometimes even prepaid gratuities as well which we got for our Epic cruise in 2013. As others have said, you need to research well before you book so that you are knowledgeable about prices, cabin types and locations. I don't think you will find too many TAs that are experts. You will probably be better informed than they are. A possible cancellation fee was mentioned. Hopefully you have none, but keep in mind a $100 cancellation fee can be more than made up for by a lower cruise fare and a significant OBC offer that you did not have before.

We received no benefits at all by booking through a travel agent. We had to find out about On Board Credit ourselves, after requesting a brochure from Princess. He never mentioned it.

I checked pricing--we are paying exactly what we would have paid if we booked through Princess directly.

I asked him if there was any advantage to what side of the ship we were on, and he said it didn't matter. Because of my own research I specifically requested our mini-suite to be on the side of the ship that would see land.

I also asked him if there was any advantage to location on the ship and he said there wasn't. This is not exactly true, as you learn by reading.

He cost us a great deal of money with his misinformation--he told DH the only flights to Alaska arrive late in the evening, and that an arrival of 12:30 in the morning (without any reference to the long motorcoach ride several hours later) was typical and usual. He told DH that he had to book the flights right away because he had never seen the prices so low, and they would likely rise after the weekend. Once I researched flights online I was shocked to see how wrong he was. There were earlier flights at the same price! And he never advised us to get into Alaska a day early. We subsequently switched flights at great cost.

When we explained we wanted to change flights to arrive the day before, he told us the hotel had no rooms available--again, misinformation, because I called the hotel myself to book our room.

He gave us a price to change flights that was $400 more than what it cost for me to call the airlines and make the change myself.

He convinced us to purchase travel insurance through the travel agency instead of Princess to save money, but despite numerous requests he hasn't sent out more than a paragraph of what this insurance entails.

He told my husband he would have to pay for the entire trip when he booked it, which of course is completely untrue.

There is so much information on the internet, you can likely find a better deal by searching online, and then presenting this information to your travel agent, should you choose to use one.

Our trip to Hawaii involved three different travel agents--we booked with one who left, followed up with another who eventually left--by the time we were actually in Hawaii we were speaking to a travel agent we hadn't even met! This person was no longer at the agency when we went to book our Alaska cruise!

If we ever use a travel agent again, we will be certain to research EVERYTHING before going, and will never, ever again assume that the travel agent knows more than we do, and can actually assist us in booking our vacation.

We received no benefits at all by booking through a travel agent. We had to find out about On Board Credit ourselves, after requesting a brochure from Princess. He never mentioned it.

I checked pricing--we are paying exactly what we would have paid if we booked through Princess directly.

I asked him if there was any advantage to what side of the ship we were on, and he said it didn't matter. Because of my own research I specifically requested our mini-suite to be on the side of the ship that would see land.

I also asked him if there was any advantage to location on the ship and he said there wasn't. This is not exactly true, as you learn by reading.

He cost us a great deal of money with his misinformation--he told DH the only flights to Alaska arrive late in the evening, and that an arrival of 12:30 in the morning (without any reference to the long motorcoach ride several hours later) was typical and usual. He told DH that he had to book the flights right away because he had never seen the prices so low, and they would likely rise after the weekend. Once I researched flights online I was shocked to see how wrong he was. There were earlier flights at the same price! And he never advised us to get into Alaska a day early. We subsequently switched flights at great cost.

When we explained we wanted to change flights to arrive the day before, he told us the hotel had no rooms available--again, misinformation, because I called the hotel myself to book our room.

He gave us a price to change flights that was $400 more than what it cost for me to call the airlines and make the change myself.

He convinced us to purchase travel insurance through the travel agency instead of Princess to save money, but despite numerous requests he hasn't sent out more than a paragraph of what this insurance entails.

He told my husband he would have to pay for the entire trip when he booked it, which of course is completely untrue.

There is so much information on the internet, you can likely find a better deal by searching online, and then presenting this information to your travel agent, should you choose to use one.

Our trip to Hawaii involved three different travel agents--we booked with one who left, followed up with another who eventually left--by the time we were actually in Hawaii we were speaking to a travel agent we hadn't even met! This person was no longer at the agency when we went to book our Alaska cruise!

If we ever use a travel agent again, we will be certain to research EVERYTHING before going, and will never, ever again assume that the travel agent knows more than we do, and can actually assist us in booking our vacation.

I hope you your future travels will not be marred by such unethical/ unknowledgable TAs. In your case I am not sure which is it, unethical or unknowledgable. Either way, you surely got shafted.

What are the pros/cons to having a TA?

Is it easier to get the exact room u want with a TA or can I do that myself by calling princess?

I just booked August and was fully expecting to use a TA because of all the good I heard on CC. Maybe it's just a bad week but the best I found was $50 OBC, $75 shore excursion voucher and useless coupon book. I do all my own research so that was not a factor.

I called the Princess rep who had been emailing me (not sure of title - on Carnival it would be PVP) and booked with her. The promo's didn't seem worth the risk of booking with the TA. I heard the TA was reputable with no cancellation fee - but for only $125 off I'd rather control the booking. Now $200 OBC or more I'd be signing a different song.

Plus I read on CC that if I do see a good OBC deal down the road before final payment I can transfer to TA. So book now at a price/room you're happy with and if something better comes along great!

I hope you your future travels will not be marred by such unethical/ unknowledgable TAs. In your case I am not sure which is it, unethical or unknowledgable. Either way, you surely got shafted.

It has been an incredibly educational experience! You must always, in everything you do, be your own advocate.

I just booked August and was fully expecting to use a TA because of all the good I heard on CC. Maybe it's just a bad week but the best I found was $50 OBC, $75 shore excursion voucher and useless coupon book. I do all my own research so that was not a factor.

I called the Princess rep who had been emailing me (not sure of title - on Carnival it would be PVP) and booked with her. The promo's didn't seem worth the risk of booking with the TA. I heard the TA was reputable with no cancellation fee - but for only $125 off I'd rather control the booking. Now $200 OBC or more I'd be signing a different song.

Plus I read on CC that if I do see a good OBC deal down the road before final payment I can transfer to TA. So book now at a price/room you're happy with and if something better comes along great!

We only have a measly $25 on board credit, which we received after requesting a brochure for Alaska directly from Princess. Our travel agent offerred us nothing. Do travel agents typically offer on board credit and shore excursion vouchers?

I, too, am wondering if it is just a bad week. My daughter is looking to book a cruise, and they too are finding only $50 or $95 OBC on an inside cabin. No Pinnacle dinners and no good discounts on the cruise.

Last year we saved $800 on an obstructed view cabin. (14 day itinerary) This $800 savings was split between reduced cost of cruise (for two people), $100 OBC and a free Pinnacle Dinner.

I, too, am wondering if it is just a bad week. My daughter is looking to book a cruise, and they too are finding only $50 or $95 OBC on an inside cabin. No Pinnacle dinners and no good discounts on the cruise.

Last year we saved $800 on an obstructed view cabin. (14 day itinerary) This $800 savings was split between reduced cost of cruise (for two people), $100 OBC and a free Pinnacle Dinner.

Yikes! We have a mini-suite AND an inside cabin and we still would have had nothing if not for ordering the 2013 Princess Alaska brochure, and that was only for $25 total.

I think there are a lot of TA's who post on this board.

Yikes! We have a mini-suite AND an inside cabin and we still would have had nothing if not for ordering the 2013 Princess Alaska brochure, and that was only for $25 total.

Online discount agencies tend to be the ones offering the most perks, which is how we got the ones I mentioned. I am not sure but I think we booked in February last year for an August cruise. We were thrilled with our deal. I just can't find anything quite the same for my daughter.

I don't know anything about Princess, but a note for those who are considering following this plan with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity - they changed their policy a few years ago to only allow switching a booking to a TA within 60 days of the original booking.

Online discount agencies tend to be the ones offering the most perks, which is how we got the ones I mentioned. I am not sure but I think we booked in February last year for an August cruise. We were thrilled with our deal. I just can't find anything quite the same for my daughter.

We booked our cruise 10 months ahead of time. Ironically, we chose a travel agency where we could actually meet with the person, to receive better service. If we ever cruise again I will definitely check online first.

We booked our cruise 10 months ahead of time. Ironically, we chose a travel agency where we could actually meet with the person, to receive better service. If we ever cruise again I will definitely check online first.

Our very first cruise we booked with a local agent. However, I told her what I wanted to book and unlike your agents she did not try to change my mind. She was helpful with info about the ship, but not too helpful with Alaska itself. She had been to AK several times, but never took any excursions. :eek:

My second and third cruises were booked online. Both cruises went smoothly. I don't regret going with the local agent the first time. I liked having someone to guide me through my first cruise. It looks like my daughter will be booking with our local agent since she is actually offering them a discount. It comes to just a little more than the best deal I could find, but there will no cancellation or change fees. We are hoping prices go down and they will be making some changes. We will see.

Happy travels to you. You will love Alaska!!

I think that you learn that TA's have their limitations. I have learned to use some online methods of finding the best price (read: cruise fish dot com) and constant checking and comparisons online. The absolute best info has come from this website and also listening to my fellow passengers once onboard. I know how to use cruise deck plans dot com to find out what cabins are above and below me. I also use Rick Steve's books if I am going to Europe (love Transatlantics) for tours and hotels there.

My first cruise "in town" agent had some travel experience but didn't have much to offer. You will likely get more perks if you are living the "suite life" or cruise with one company and therefore get some nice benefits. You have to be careful when you listen to advice. One thing that I discovered is that many (not all) people who would never go lower than a balcony do so because they smoke on their balcony. I love a balcony too but I like to cruise more often and keep that in mind. So, unless your bank account gives you the right to insist on a balcony or suite, consider that you are also treated very well on OV or inside rooms.

The only "inferior" cruise experience I have had was a 4 night to the Bahamas. It appears that lots of locals use these cruises for cheap weekend getaways and the service in the MDR was scaled down. I sensed that the crew felt that many of these folks wouldn't know or appreciate fine dining, so they didn't even try.

I once went to AAA's travel agency and soon discovered that their agent had far fewer cruises than I did and got all her info from the brochures. So unhelpful.

So, thanks cruise critics for equipping and educating me!

I am also looking at booking a princess alaska cruise at the end of July -- and don't know who to book it with ... Thoughts?

I'm also a little confused about the different costs for cabins with the same descriptions - though I assume this is based on cabin location...

Thanks!

Rachel

Archived