Flash Sale Price is Lower than I paid. Past Final Payment Date

jasmith52

Like the title says. I notice that online travel agents are selling my cruise for significantly less than I paid. The final payment date was about 10 days ago at which I made the final payment. The cruise is now just into the penalty period. So cancelling and re-booking is a very expensive option.

I called my travel agent and they tell me that the new lower price is for "new bookings" only.

I thought that they should upgrade me or at least something to match the prices that cabins are now selling for. But my agent tells me that won't happen.

Any advice or comments ?

If they allowed everyone to gerrymander their pricing after final payment, then there would be little incentive for the cruise line to offer flash sales. Not only would they be filling the empty cabins (which is the purpose), but they would be handing back cash to everyone who booked before. The economic model cannot support this type of rebate. If you want to guarantee your spot on the ship, and have a selection of cabins, then you pay a premium over the flash price to do so. It makes no sense to allow passengers to reap both the benefits of selection and price. It is one or the other.

Think of it as when you purchase a new automobile.

If a week later the dealer advertises a lower price for the same exact car you purchased, you will not be able to get your already purchased vehicle at a lower price and then will not give you freebies.

If you buy a car or book a cruise at the price you found acceptable, it does not matter what specials there are at a later date for new purchases.

If they allowed everyone to gerrymander their pricing after final payment, then there would be little incentive for the cruise line to offer flash sales. Not only would they be filling the empty cabins (which is the purpose), but they would be handing back cash to everyone who booked before. The economic model cannot support this type of rebate. If you want to guarantee your spot on the ship, and have a selection of cabins, then you pay a premium over the flash price to do so. It makes no sense to allow passengers to reap both the benefits of selection and price. It is one or the other.

It bugs me to no end when people want to gerrymander their prices.

Bill

same situation here last spring for my last cruise. my TA couldn't get an upgrade, money back for me, so asked me to call Princess to ask. this was after final payment. got upgraded from BB balcony to lowest category minisuite.

I liked the extra space, but would prefer that aft corner BB balcony i gave up for it.

it never hurts to ask Princess yourself-if they will talk to you, since you have a TA, they may not.

good luck

I guess I am not understanding why you feel entitled to any type of refund or upgrade. The reason these flash sales occur is because they want to fill up the ship, once the final payment is paid you don't get any adjustments. If I were you I would not price the cruise anymore, just wait for it and enjoy it.

Flash Sales always occur after the final payment date for any particular cruise. If you have already purchased the cruise, you're stuck with whatever you paid for it. Flash Sales are for new bookings only and are intended to intice folks into booking that itinerary. The up side of booking early is that you get a wider variety of cabin options. The up side of a Flash Sale is a lower price but only the cabins no one else wanted are available. Moral to the story, once you've paid for your cruise, never look at the price again. It's like buying a cute dress at Macy's and then the next weekend the same dress is half off.

I know it's irritating but that's the way it is. I don't even watch after final payment. I book the cruise at a price I can live with, watch for drops until final payment and then walk away.

It's the same thing with airline fares. They wander all over the place.

As do computer prices, heck - just about anything.

I'm waiting right now to see if the cruise I want to take in December will have a flash sale on balcony cabins. There are three options: Grand, Ruby, and Caribbean Princess, all the week before Christmas (leaving Dec. 15 or 16). The final payment date should be today and tomorrow for these cruises.

By waiting until after the final payment date, I've been able to get some bargain cruises. What I give up is the ability to pick a specific cabin a lot of the time because the lowest sale price is frequently for guarantee cabins only. I'm also taking the risk that these cruises have sold well and their prices will go up. Airfare is another factor that can go up to where it's no longer worth looking at the cheap cruise price. (Although for the Dec. 16 cruise, we could drive to Fort Lauderdale.)

I'm waiting right now to see if the cruise I want to take in December will have a flash sale on balcony cabins. There are three options: Grand, Ruby, and Caribbean Princess, all the week before Christmas (leaving Dec. 15 or 16). The final payment date should be today and tomorrow for these cruises.

By waiting until after the final payment date, I've been able to get some bargain cruises. What I give up is the ability to pick a specific cabin a lot of the time because the lowest sale price is frequently for guarantee cabins only. I'm also taking the risk that these cruises have sold well and their prices will go up. Airfare is another factor that can go up to where it's no longer worth looking at the cheap cruise price. (Although for the Dec. 16 cruise, we could drive to Fort Lauderdale.)

Hey Herb,

Let us know how this works out! It will be exciting to see where you cruise this December...:)

I'm going to at least announce my displeasure to the company at booking a cruise, getting a 48 hour deadline to pay -- and then they dropped the prices again the very next day -- but in general I have to agree with what an earlier poster said, wait until the price is what you can afford, then turn your back on price lists.

Archived