Gratuities on ship board account

MSEm

Q: What is your gratuity policy?

A: For sailings prior to the 2013 Europe season:

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience, gratuities of $13.50 per guest, per day are automatically added to your shipboard account. An additional $5.00 per guest, per day will be added for guests occupying Penthouse, Vista, Oceania or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided. An 18% gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases and spa and salon services. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.

For sailings beginning with the 2013 Europe season:

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience, gratuities of $14.50 per guest, per day are automatically added to your shipboard account. An additional $6.00 per guest, per day will be added for guests occupying Penthouse, Vista, Oceania or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided. An 18% gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases and spa and salon services. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=All

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just found the info in the cruise booklet. $13.30 for Ocean View Stateroom.

I am sending my self a Ship board credit to cover tips or other items.

Thanks again,

MSEm

But don't forget, should someone do something extra special for you it's always nice to tip a little extra. You room steward or butler, person that cleans your room, bar person or anyone that takes that extra step to make your vacation better than it should have been.

Rick

But don't forget, should someone do something extra special for you it's always nice to tip a little extra. You room steward or butler, person that cleans your room, bar person or anyone that takes that extra step to make your vacation better than it should have been.

Rick

I know there's lots of sentiment agreeing with you on this, but for me, pre-paid is pre-paid. They all get a share, presumably even those who serve you but who you never see. This seems fairer.

I know there's lots of sentiment agreeing with you on this, but for me, pre-paid is pre-paid. They all get a share, presumably even those who serve you but who you never see. This seems fairer.

Agree. No one should feel pressured to tip extra or feel that they are considered "cheap" by not doing so.

I never said you should feel "Pressured" to tip. It's what ever you think, I think you should tip when something is done that is above what should have been done...But that's just me, I feel it's important to thank someone when they have done more than I expect. When I use to work before I retired my company paid me a salary, if I did a really good job I got a bonus...they didn't have to give me a bonus for doing my job--but they did if I did a really good job. And everyone one at the company didn't get the same size of bonus.

Rick

Many bonuses are negotiated up front as part of a pay package.

This is why I hate pre paid gratuities. Next year in a PH you will be paying $41 a day per couple. On a 20 day cruise that's $820. And people still feel they have to give extra. An AI plan is so much better all around.

Many bonuses are negotiated up front as part of a pay package.

This is why I hate pre paid gratuities. Next year in a PH you will be paying $41 a day per couple. On a 20 day cruise that's $820. And people still feel they have to give extra. An AI plan is so much better all around.

AI is simply prepaid gratuities unquantified,

On the boards of the all-inclusive lines, there is plenty of talk about tipping extra.

Unless you are running someone ragged with demands and/or are unusually high maintenance, I see no reason to tip extra.

I don't understand why your so upset because I want to give extra in the form of a tip. You don't have too tip if you don't want, it's up to you. I chose to tip, it's that easy...If you don't want to tip, don"t and if you do, do tip.

Rick

I think those of us who posted do not care what you do.

I just do not like posts that lead people to believe (intentionally or not) that if they do not tip extra they are not good passengers or not appreciative enough.

When you said

That post leads some to believe that not tipping extra isn't "nice" and they shouldn't "forget" to do so.

When posters inquire about tipping policy they are looking for guidance. Once you tell them" not to forget to tip extra" they will likely feel awkward not doing so.

We always tip room service and anyone we feel may have gone that extra mile for us.

An example is on our first Oceania cruise, on the Insignia, where we met a lovely Italian waiter who always greeted us and made us feel special. One evening, I was feeling a little sea sick and on hearing this from my husband, he insisted on sending down some of the bread that he knew I liked, which was very thoughtful and much appreciated on my part. It would've been easier for him to not bother. It's situations like this that I feel warrant a little extra.

After viewing the UK Dispatches programme on Celebrity cruises, albeit one sided in it's argument, it has made us more determined to tip more on future cruises. :)

Archived