Another dress code thread

DT1304

I know there are heaps of threads on these forums regarding correct attire but I wanted to ask on another thread to make my life easier. :rolleyes:

I am aware of the formal night requirements, the no barefeet or bathing suit requirements etc, but what I want to know is this....

1. At night in the MDR, NOT on formal night, are clean, denim jeans suitable, and if so, can I wear this with a t-shirt, golf style polo shirt, or do I need a more formal button down shirt?

2. Are shorts and T-shirt allowed in the MDR if going there for lunch or breakfast?

3. For general wear around the ship, are shorts and t-shirts suitable, and this includes in the various bars, shows etc.

4. For formal night, would a shirt and tie be suitable. (No jacket and no full suit)

Note that I will be on the New Years cruise in the South Pacific, and when I speak of shorts and T-shirts, I mean relatively smart shorts, not gym shorts or running shorts.

1. At night in the MDR, NOT on formal night, are clean, denim jeans suitable, and if so, can I wear this with a t-shirt, golf style polo shirt, or do I need a more formal button down shirt?

I have never seen anyone bounced from the MDR on any of the cruises I've been on for wearing too casual of clothes. It's more about what you would feel comfortable with OR more precisely what your significant other feels conformable with. In the MDR on non-formal night, I have seen plenty of denim jeans. Personally I would skip the trendy holes in the legs type...I would go with a polo shirt or even a short sleeved button shirt, with tropical fruit looks nice, if you're someplace tropical.

2. Are shorts and T-shirt allowed in the MDR if going there for lunch or breakfast? See my above answer.

3. For general wear around the ship, are shorts and t-shirts suitable, and this includes in the various bars, shows etc. People do tend to dress up a bit more in the evening and you don't see a lot of shorts and t-shirts at night.

4. For formal night, would a shirt and tie be suitable. (No jacket and no full suit). I've seen it done many times before, but skip the denim pants for some khakis or casual slacks and you will be fine.

As it appears you are cruising on RCI, wouldn't some reading on the RCI board be the best solution?

Yes it would have been, however as I said in the original post, there are so many different threads on this issue, that it seemed easier for me to get direct answers on a new thread.

In the MDR on non-formal night, I have seen plenty of denim jeans. Personally I would skip the trendy holes in the legs type...I would go with a polo shirt or even a short sleeved button shirt, with tropical fruit looks nice, if you're someplace tropical.

Thanks. That helps. It makes packing so much easier knowing that a neat pair of jeans (not with holes :D) and polo shirt is suitable.

3. For general wear around the ship, are shorts and t-shirts suitable, and this includes in the various bars, shows etc. People do tend to dress up a bit more in the evening and you don't see a lot of shorts and t-shirts at night.

Fair enough. Thank you. I suppose once I am dressed for dinner it is pointless going back to change again for night time entertainment anyway.

4. For formal night, would a shirt and tie be suitable. (No jacket and no full suit). I've seen it done many times before, but skip the denim pants for some khakis or casual slacks and you will be fine.

Sounds good. I was planning on taking more formal attire, like some smart pants and shirt and tie, but wanted to avoid taking a full suit or even just a jacket. Takes up lots of packing space, and it is so hot at that time of year anyway.

After more than 10 cruises my DW and I have decided to dump the Formal Night attaire. This takes another suite case and we already have enough Formal Night Champaign Pouring Pictures in the Main Lobby Atrium to keep. That is now one less suitcase we have to drag on and off the ship!

Actually, the "dress codes" are pretty much the same for every cruiseline....daytime is quite casual. Swimsuits/coverups, shorts, tees, flip-flops are the outfit of the day.

At night, (on all but NCL or CarnivaL) long pants for men with a collared shirt (golf/polo shirts are fine) and capris, slacks, skirts, sundresses will work for women.

Formal nights MEANS tux/dark suit for men, gown or cocktail dress for women. Many folks will not go "all out" on the formalwear, so dress as nicely as you can...you'll be fine.

There is the issue of whats allowed and what are you comfortable with. My normal MDR attire is khakis and some form of shirt with a collar. I am not one to wear jeans or t-shirts to the MDR (but I am sure you can get in). Around the ship I wear shorts and usually a t-shirt.

Actually, the "dress codes" are pretty much the same for every cruiseline....daytime is quite casual. Swimsuits/coverups, shorts, tees, flip-flops are the outfit of the day.

At night, (on all but NCL or CarnivaL) long pants for men with a collared shirt (golf/polo shirts are fine) and capris, slacks, skirts, sundresses will work for women.

Formal nights MEANS tux/dark suit for men, gown or cocktail dress for women. Many folks will not go "all out" on the formalwear, so dress as nicely as you can...you'll be fine.

You've said this same thing on other threads, and it's absolutely not true !!!! The dress codes are NOT the same for every line. You can get away with minimal formal clothing on NCL, Carnival and even RCI, but you really cannot on Celebrity, Princess or HAL if you want to dine in the MDR on formal nights. Please stop giving new posters, or any poster, incorrect information which could cause them problems.

You can get away with minimal formal clothing on NCL, Carnival and even RCI, but you really cannot on Celebrity, Princess or HAL if you want to dine in the MDR on formal nights.

I haven't sailed Celebrity but have done RCI and HAL. HAL is a bit more 'dressy' than RCI. RCI is pretty casual but not as casual as NCL. I have seen older guys on Princess wear khanki shorts and button up shirts to dinner at the MDR (not formal night). I assure you they were not hauled off to the brig. This isn't the 1950s, if someone dresses more casual then the average person, the staff on the mainline cruises will not say anything at about it.

Sounds good. I was planning on taking more formal attire, like some smart pants and shirt and tie, but wanted to avoid taking a full suit or even just a jacket. Takes up lots of packing space, and it is so hot at that time of year anyway.

OP hi, based on my RCI cruise you clothes will fit in perfect, no worries! Some guys will be dressed up more than you but some less, I would say you will be right in the middle. Sounds like you have a good plan there. Have fun!

Archived