Last RCL cruise

sped01

I paid on time. There was a drop today of $250 on my cruise. Balconies were offered for $100 less then I paid and so I called to ask for an upgrade. I spoke to three different agents and the manager Nicole and was told I was out of luck. If I was not cruising with 4 different families I would cancel my reservation. This is my last RCL cruise.

It would have to take a lot more than that to make me never want to cruise on Royal Caribbean again. Yep....A LOT more. :rolleyes:

Three months ago I bought steak at the supermarket for $17.99/lb. Today it is on sale for $12.99/lb so I demanded a refund of the difference but the manager told me to get lost. I will never shop there again!!!

Just my way of breaking down the whole "I didn't get my way so I'm never cruising again" rant. Like so many have said on here, you booked at a price you could live with when you booked it, either enjoy the cruise or don't.

Or even the more obvious airfare price changes. Guess OP won't be flying ever again either! :eek:

The fact of the matter is, more often than not someone paid more than you and someone paid less than you. You're not going to end up with the absolute 100% best price 100% of the time. You choose a price you're happy with and if you get lucky, woo hoo! If not, you're still happy with what you got.

Don't pay for a cruise with the expectation of a price drop. If you can't handle that, you're in for a lot of disappointment in life.

Who hoo, less cruisers means more price drops! ;)

Am I a bad person because I think exactly this every time someone complains and swears off Royal:p

Sigh...I don't know any other travel segment except for mass market hotel rooms, where you can book and keep lowering your price; not airfare, not land tours, not bed and breakfasts or unique accommodations. Also, most of those have fairly stiff cancellation policies even before final payments are due. I'm amazed that cruise lines can offer fully refundable deposits until 90 days prior to sailing. If a lot of people cancel, of course the number of cabins goes up, the prices go down. Every single time I've checked a price drop, the increased air costs eat away any "price drop" and often the " price drop" price is still more than what I paid by early booking (with zero risk to me). If I lived in port- I'd just wait to for the deals to come out, but otherwise, that's how the market works!

It continues to surprise me that people who are perfectly happy with the price of their cruise when they book their cruise are suddenly peeved off when they find out someone might get a better price than them.

Cruising isn't the only industry that changes prices all the time.

I think if the OP wants to quit Royal, they should. No sense being unhappy.

Look at it this way, if you waited until after the last payment to book the cruise, the cost of the airfare would probably be $300pp more. Or a lot more than that.

Oh, I would also suggest comparing the cost of being on a plane for 8 hours (4 each way) vs. X days on a ship. Oddly enough, they are remarkably close to each other. One you get all the food you want to eat, the other, you get a can of soda.

(on another note- am I the only one who finds it odd that people who are so mad at cruising come here and proclaim to the world that they are no longer doing it anymore? if it were me, I would just drop out of whatever scene I'm posting about, and not come back- no proclamation of whatever- but that's not just to the OP, but many threads that come up)

If the site was called Cruise Fanatic instead of Cruise CRITIC, probably less of them would show up.

Really. I mean booking early gives you better pick of cabin, better pick of dining time, and more anticipation! But more expensive. Why should someone get all the perks of booking early and pay the same price as someone who books late?

It's like booking in September because it's cheaper and then getting all mad about a hurricane.

Really. I mean booking early gives you better pick of cabin, better pick of dining time, and more anticipation! But more expensive. Why should someone get all the perks of booking early and pay the same price as someone who books late?

It's like booking in September because it's cheaper and then getting all mad about a hurricane.

How DARE Royal Caribbean not control the weather? It's 2012 for crying out loud! And while they're at it, they need to make everyone on ship attractive, in my same socioeconomic class, and never, ever causing an inconvenience for me. OR I'M NEVER CRUISING WITH THEM AGAIN. WHO'S WITH ME!? :D

I paid on time. There was a drop today of $250 on my cruise. Balconies were offered for $100 less then I paid and so I called to ask for an upgrade. I spoke to three different agents and the manager Nicole and was told I was out of luck. If I was not cruising with 4 different families I would cancel my reservation. This is my last RCL cruise.

Thanks for letting us know, I might have looked for you on my next cruise and now you saved me the time of searching.:rolleyes:

Bye Bye, don´t let the door hit you on the way out.

If the site was called Cruise Fanatic instead of Cruise CRITIC, probably less of them would show up.

There's a difference between criticism and proclamations that they will never cruise again.

Nothing wrong with mentioning issues that you think need addressed, or that people should be aware of.

But to come and tell people that you are not cruising anymore for X reason- eh.

I guess we want to make sure people know that they are mad for whatever reason.

I can deal with Cruise Fanatic Message Board- that's for sure. :D

We can still get an upgrade after final payment if a category above us is the same price or more than what we paid, right?

That's what I always look for after final payment: to see if I can get a better cabin for the same price, not a refund or obc.

Also, if they run resident or senior special rates after final payment, I thought we could still get those, too. Wrong????

I just needed to vent. One of the couples we are traveling with were able to get the upgrade. Airfare is not an issue because of my wifes occupation. Oh well live and learn. But after november rcl will not see another dime from this unhappy guest.

I just needed to vent. One of the couples we are traveling with were able to get the upgrade. Airfare is not an issue because of my wifes occupation. Oh well live and learn. But after november rcl will not see another dime from this unhappy guest.

Check the pricing again tomorrow, if it is still there, call and try again for the upgrade.

It has happened in the past, but the most likely result (99.999%) is that it will not.

It happened last week for 2 different people/bookings. It still, and does, happen with no problem at all! Call with confidence and, as long as you are in the US, you will be golden.

Try one more time. We have a cruise on Freedom scheduled in less than 8 weeks. I logged on the Royal site and saw our room category had dropped in price by nearly $400 (D2).

I called the web site that we used - knowing that my final payment had passed - and wasn't expecting anything.

Bottom line I was offered an upgrade to a D1 room further back which I didn't take because I do like my current room location - and received a $150 in room credit. Which I did accept.

Am I a bad person because I think exactly this every time someone complains and swears off Royal:p

Sigh...I don't know any other travel segment except for mass market hotel rooms, where you can book and keep lowering your price; not airfare, not land tours, not bed and breakfasts or unique accommodations. Also, most of those have fairly stiff cancellation policies even before final payments are due. I'm amazed that cruise lines can offer fully refundable deposits until 90 days prior to sailing. If a lot of people cancel, of course the number of cabins goes up, the prices go down. Every single time I've checked a price drop, the increased air costs eat away any "price drop" and often the " price drop" price is still more than what I paid by early booking (with zero risk to me). If I lived in port- I'd just wait to for the deals to come out, but otherwise, that's how the market works!

You apparently don't fly SWA....I've had several price drops over the years. I've heard some other airlines will give you a future credit as well for price drops

I read all the major boards and I can tell you I see stories like this on all of them. Does it suck? Yes, but they all observe the same internal rules. So if you're staying away from RCI because you don't agree with this rule then you have a lot of cruise companies to mark of your list as well.

I did that was who nicole was. There are too many all inclusive resorts to bother with rcl and other cruise lines.

What are pricing policies at all inclusive resorts? Do they have similar pricing restrictions to cruise lines and similar periodic price changes or are they much more inclined to accommodate your wishes than cruise lines?

and you think that an all inclusive is going to give you a price decrease or upgrade if the price goes down??

Book at what you are willing to pay, regardless of how and where you are traveling to. If something happens and you get a refund or upgrade count yourself lucky. Otherwise if you aren't happy with a price don't book the trip. Plain and simple

Agreed!!!!! I never look at the prices after I book

.......see ya'.............

Don't you hate when you have to follow rules......:D Whinners......

here's a different way of looking at it, instead of rules-

At one point in time, the price of the trip seemed like it was a correct deal, so the family booked it, and paid on time. So the value was ok in the eyes of the travelers.

now, all of a sudden, the price goes down, and just because of that, the previous decision is no longer valid, and they have pre-decided to not cruise with RCI anymore, and probably will nit-pick their way through the entire cruise they go on.

Yes, I know money does not grow on tress, but by deciding to be so negative when the value equation changes after you have decided that it was ok for all of this time? it's like when someone asks me how much they should pay for an Alfa Romeo- I ALWAY reply- however much you think it's worth. Once done, don't look back, and don't try to see what kind of 'deal' you made- this is an emotional decision and should at least try to enjoy it.

I AM very happy when I get a price break, but I really have decided that the booking price I am paying is correct for us. else I would not have booked the cruise at all. I DO ty to get price breaks as they come up, but if i don't qualify- oh, well.

In all of that, they could charge a fee for getting a better fare, like airlines do- get a $200 fare decrease, and that nets you $50 after the $150 change fee. I still fly the same airline- it works best for us.

here's a different way of looking at it, instead of rules-

At one point in time, the price of the trip seemed like it was a correct deal, so the family booked it, and paid on time. So the value was ok in the eyes of the travelers.

now, all of a sudden, the price goes down, and just because of that, the previous decision is no longer valid, and they have pre-decided to not cruise with RCI anymore, and probably will nit-pick their way through the entire cruise they go on.

Yes, I know money does not grow on tress, but by deciding to be so negative when the value equation changes after you have decided that it was ok for all of this time? it's like when someone asks me how much they should pay for an Alfa Romeo- I ALWAY reply- however much you think it's worth. Once done, don't look back, and don't try to see what kind of 'deal' you made- this is an emotional decision and should at least try to enjoy it.

I AM very happy when I get a price break, but I really have decided that the booking price I am paying is correct for us. else I would not have booked the cruise at all. I DO ty to get price breaks as they come up, but if i don't qualify- oh, well.

In all of that, they could charge a fee for getting a better fare, like airlines do- get a $200 fare decrease, and that nets you $50 after the $150 change fee. I still fly the same airline- it works best for us.

Just drives me crazy, you know the price going in, you know after final payment or Tuesday Specials (which are usually after final payment) you cant get price drops, so why cry???? I get it, it sucks but when you know something going in, LIVE with it, be a MAN or WOMAN about it and buck it up!

My cruise is coming up on final payment, and yes I'll keep checking pricing but if it goes down I promise I wont cry or whine to you folks about it.;)

Archived