Louis Olympia/Thomson Destiny Already Dropped by Louis?

Was just looking at Louis Cruises Cruise Calendar as I was reading they've just announced their itineraries for 2013, and I was seeing what they were going to be doing with Louis Olympia/Thomson Destiny next year:

http://www.louiscruises.com/cruises-2012

It seems that they've already decided not to operate it next year! :confused:

It's not on any of their cruise lists and you can't book it either. According to Cruise Timetables its last cruise is currently 01 October 2012:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruise-ship-louis-olympia.html

After all the changes that went on with Destiny and Majesty in March this year, and the amount of disappointed customers that didn't want the change, I would expect Louis to have actually used Destiny after this summer for next year at least, but currently it appears not! Why then was there the swap if they were only going to be operating it for 6 months!! :mad:

I sometimes wonder what Louis are doing! They have the majority of their fleet laid up and for sale, or charter ships to Thomson that they also have up for sale. Ships get swapped and then they operate it for only a few months, and itineraries sometimes seem to become available with less than a month before sailing. How can they expect to sell a proper season of cruises if they keep messing about with itineraries? They've only just put on sale cruises after next April!! :eek:

If Louis Olympia/Destiny isn't going to be operating, I wonder what will happen to it? Be laid up for months? Be chartered to someone else? Be sold? Thomson won't want it back I don't think as they made a point about swapping Destiny with Majesty because it was much newer and had better facilities. Wouldn't look good if they suddenly brought back a ship that they had previously said was lacking, old and now unsuitable (even though I'm sure a few people would like to see it back replacing Majesty! :rolleyes:)

I just think it was a shame for all that hassle and people to feel disappointed to be swapped ships for Louis to only use it for 6 months :(. I know previously (I think it was cruiseman2010 that posted it) that Majesty was originally starting with Thomson this winter, and this was then brought forward. I wonder if Louis already had a plan at this point that they were going to not operate Destiny for good, and instead brought it back into its fleet so they could do some refurbs on it before giving it to someone else? The whole Destiny and Majesty thing is extremely strange??? Who knows what actually did (and is still) going on???

Very weird goings on Sailaway ,we should not be suprised at anything Thomson HQ do really :rolleyes:

So don't be shocked if the Destiny /Olympia turns up rebranded as ... Island Escape 2 :);) You never can tell with Thomson :D

Just been reading this post that was put on the roll calls last week:

Met up with ex-destiny in santorini and kusadasi. Heard from crew member,who is old friend that thomson might be having the destiny back as they need more ships.Also rumours about buying own ships.

destiny now louis olympia.

shellsailor.

This would explain why it wasn't on the 2013 programme for Louis Cruises. But could Thomson really justify in getting it back if they already got rid of it because they said it was unsuitable? :confused:

Very curious. Whispers that Destiny will be back as from Jan 2013, but I'm not sure about that as where would it sail? Or more worryingly, what would it replace? Has IE finally been sold? More questions than answers.

Much as i enjoyed our holidays on Destiny I really think Thomson should be thinking in terms of up-grading with newer ships rather than taking a step back. As others have said it will make their protestations when they did the swap that Majesty was superior (even if that is a moot point!) if they then return to something which in their opinion was less desirable.

It's all very intriguing - we'll await develpoments with interest!

Very curious. Whispers that Destiny will be back as from Jan 2013, but I'm not sure about that as where would it sail? Or more worryingly, what would it replace? Has IE finally been sold? More questions than answers.

January? :confused:

So going to be another swap that will annoy people! Definitely won't be swapping with Dream. Would it swap with Majesty back again? IE seems to be still for sale at the moment and I don't think it sails in January next year. Could it be replacing Celebration when it goes on its refit? Currently it looks like Celebration won't be having a break at all before it starts as Platinum so any work will have to be done over the winter season, which will seriously disrupt people. Perhaps Destiny will replace it while this is done?

Maybe the destiny/olympia is struggling to comply with SOLAS?

Or

Louis mainly sell blocks of cabins to various travel agents across europe, maybe they are struggling in the current financial climate?

maybe their demand is dropping off? after all they only provide a floating hotel style product with emphasis on port stops with no discernable cruising experience

maybe their guests have discovered a more cruisy style of cruise and are defecting to aida/costa/msc......

I like the idea of the Island Destiny/Majesty......I'm still in mourning for the lovable Destiny, Thomsons are very experienced with older ships, if anyone can scrub them up and offer a good no frills product Thomsons can

Personally, I feel Thomsons need a no frills cruise product to sit alongside their Platinum/whatever? brand....there is a gap in the UK market for this that the Escape is currently filling (but for how much longer?) maybe that market is expanding too?....Heck! I actually even like the Island Escape product (there, I've said it)

Hi geomagot. I don't think Destiny would have too many issues with regard to SOLAS, but you are more likely correct that Louis are struggling a bit, and seem to have been for a while. One thing is for sure, their bread and butter is Greek passengers, and unfortunately there isn't a lot of spare cash around in Greece for holidays at the moment.

IMO the whole market is suffering for next year. They say the booking figures are OK but I am just back from P&O Ventura and apparently passengers are booking but not spending when aboard. Onboard spend is a very profitable part of the business.

As for Destiny. they could not swap it back for Majesty, that would be a public relations disaster. Maybe a islands cruise 2 but they really have to increase the quality of the hardware, not muck about with old tubs (the rest of the fleet)

From the forum where people TALK about CRUISING (hint)

Hi Mario

I got information from some crew on board Thomson Majesty and Louis Olympia that on board circulate a rumor Louis Olympia will back to Thomson Cruises as her previous name Thomson Destiny request by many repeater cruiser embarked on board Thomson Destiny before, but no one confirm this rumor. Now we just waiting the next news about her.

FYI, Louis Olympia cancel some of her sailing, that she should sailling until begining of november, many crewmember will be disembark at Piraeus on 08 October 2010, May be this is preparation for her back to thomson cruises again.

From the forum where people TALK about CRUISING (hint)

Hi Mario

I got information from some crew on board Thomson Majesty and Louis Olympia that on board circulate a rumor Louis Olympia will back to Thomson Cruises as her previous name Thomson Destiny request by many repeater cruiser embarked on board Thomson Destiny before, but no one confirm this rumor. Now we just waiting the next news about her.

FYI, Louis Olympia cancel some of her sailing, that she should sailling until begining of november, many crewmember will be disembark at Piraeus on 08 October 2010, May be this is preparation for her back to thomson cruises again.

:eek::eek::eek: Well that will be a turn up for the books - and perhaps hints at Thomson realising that there's not been a totally enthusiastic customer response to Majesty.

Could explain how come they are going to be able to put 'Shows' on next season!? They could do modified shows on Majesty I beleive - but there are still limitations with it's showlounge (height, shape of stage, no back-stage area, lighting). So.............interesting developments?

:eek::eek::eek: Well that will be a turn up for the books - and perhaps hints at Thomson realising that there's not been a totally enthusiastic customer response to Majesty.

Could explain how come they are going to be able to put 'Shows' on next season!? They could do modified shows on Majesty I beleive - but there are still limitations with it's showlounge (height, shape of stage, no back-stage area, lighting). So.............interesting developments?

They could not swop the ships again, surely:confused:

I had a lot of stress and hassle with my booking the first swop and would not be happy to go through the whole procedure again. In fact I would want my original cabin back etc etc. plus compensation for being mucked about.

Crikey, Thomson would be the laughing stock of the industry, and rightly so.

Destiny would be suited to the casual cruising market as the main dining room already has long serveries suitable for buffet style dining. She is not suitable for the Canaries in winter with her wind tunnel buffet.

I saw on another website a few weeks ago (i cant remember which) that Thomson Destiny would be back with a total refit to the Platinum standard same as Dream and Celebration (without the L shapes bed config!!). Dream would be doing to the far eat for winter cruises and Destiny would be back in the Caribbean for Christmas 2013. Majesty in Canaries and Celebration/Spirit would alternate between cyprus and Egypt. There was nothing about Island Escape though

This is all getting rather strange!! :eek:

At the beginning of the week we were discussing about the possibility of Mein Schiff, then midweek we are discussing that Thomson seem to be getting a new build (with even more confirmed reports of that it seems), and now we're back to Destiny coming back to the fleet!!! Huh!!! :confused: :confused:

I would have thought that they couldn't even consider now bringing Destiny back, especially after the remarks that said that it was now too old for Thomson. Regarding the entertainment, I suppose if they're saying that they are going to be doing West End style shows for the winter, perhaps that is because they're are going to be on a different ship entirely.

The forum that was mentioned on here was the first place that got the information regarding the original Majesty swap. I'm guessing someone on there works or is close to Louis Cruises. All the reports do seem to suggest that Destiny is returning. I think this forum first mentioned it two months before anything was officially announced.

After all the problems last time of a swap so close to people sailing, surely they can't really seriously be thinking of doing it again. They are going to the laughing stock of the cruise industry, especially swapping back to an older ship that they swapped in the first place! :o

The problem is, I think that Majesty is probably the least favourite of the four ships, but saying that, Destiny was my least favourite before! What they should do is just keep Majesty for the sailings it is down for for now (as at least the majority of people (I know not all) have booked on Majesty to begin with) and then look for something different for winter 2013/14.

Last time when the swap occurred, Thomson pulled all of Destiny's itineraries from their website when you tried to book. Will keep a look out to see if Majesty's are done at any point. This situation is most certainly odd!!! :confused:

I saw on another website a few weeks ago (i cant remember which) that Thomson Destiny would be back with a total refit to the Platinum standard same as Dream and Celebration (without the L shapes bed config!!). Dream would be doing to the far eat for winter cruises and Destiny would be back in the Caribbean for Christmas 2013. Majesty in Canaries and Celebration/Spirit would alternate between cyprus and Egypt. There was nothing about Island Escape though

I'll have to try and see if I can find that website anywhere. Date wise it would make sense. It seems Louis Olympia has had sailings pulled for November. They then have November and December to refit it and then start sailing for Thomson in January.

Dream doing Far East cruises! Now that I like! :D A five ship fleet then, like Thomson used to have. I suppose if they are looking at introducing the Far East, they need five ships (if Louis are to have one back in the winter). If the reports of a new build are true for 2015, then for now it looks like they need Destiny back.

Just seen on Wikipedia that Louis Olympia is now down as a 'Ship not in active service'. Says to me that they must have some plan for the ship?

Also noticed that The Emerald has now been sold by Louis for scrap. Was scrapped in July. Shame, as always like that little ship when it was with Thomson. Had some good cruises on it. :(

Just seen on Wikipedia that Louis Olympia is now down as a 'Ship not in active service'. Says to me that they must have some plan for the ship?

Also noticed that The Emerald has now been sold by Louis for scrap. Was scrapped in July. Shame, as always like that little ship when it was with Thomson. Had some good cruises on it. :(

There are no reference links saying the Emerald had been scrapped, so its hard to say.

There are no reference links saying the Emerald had been scrapped, so its hard to say.

From wikipedia -

Scrapping

Minor interest had been shown in mooring the ship as a hotel in California for a period of time, after which she could be rebuilt into her original form as Santa Rosa.[16] Louis looked for other owners who would operate Emerald for further use (as she met SOLAS 2010 standards) but she remained laid up at Eleusis alongside the Sapphire. In 2011, both ships were inspected by scrappers [17] and the following year the Sapphire was sold for scrap and beached in Alang, India. Emerald departed Greece in July 2012 on her way to the scrapyard in Alang. She was beached at Alang between late July and early August.

She arrived at the breakers at Alang early August. Can only fear the worst really. Not heard anything since.

She's there, I found a video on youtube of her at Alang. :(

Video dates to September 19, 2012 looks as if scrapping hasn't started since her bow hasn't been cut yet.

Archived