Webshots closing

Dotsie

Does anyone have information about all photos being removed from Webshots by December 1st?

I use them for all my cruise pictures and I hope I find an alternative photo sharing website soon.

Thanks,

Dotsie

They don't say that. This is what they say:

Introducing Smile by Webshots!

We wanted to be the first to let you know that Webshots has changed hands. We have acquired the service from American Greetings and as members of Webshots’ original founding team, we’re happy to be back building the next generation of photo management.

We are hard at work creating a great service that gathers all your photos from multiple devices and websites and stores them in one secure place – so you can enjoy and share them instantly with your loved ones.

With our official launch scheduled for later this fall, we’re offering you an early look at our service. We have transferred your photos and videos to Smile by Webshots so you can get started right away. For detailed information on the transition, see our welcome page or visit Help.

Let us know what you think!

Narendra Rocherolle and Nick Wilder

It also says this about the change to a subscrption service going forward:

Does Smile by Webshots still have a free membership?

Smile by Webshots will be free to everyone until our official launch. When we launch later this fall, Smile will be a subscription service. We will offer a free 30-day trial so that you can decide whether you’d like to subscribe, but like many other photo services, we no longer offer a free membership. For information on subscription plans, please see our Pricing page.

Can I still share my photos publicly?

The landscape of photo sharing has changed dramatically in the age of Facebook. Smile by Webshots is no longer a traditional public photo sharing site; it is a platform that pulls together your photos from multiple places and services for you to easily share. Smile gathers your photos from all the different places you keep them and stores them securely in the cloud where you can then share as many or as few as you want. If you are only interested in sharing publicly, there are a number of great services to check out: Instagram, SmugMug, Flickr, 500px to name a few.

What will happen to the photos, videos and Picture Shows in my old Webshots account?

Once you confirm your new Smile by Webshots account, all of your photos, videos and Picture Shows will be available through our new service, but only accessible to you and anyone you invite. Important: you must confirm your account to continue to access your photos. All of your old content will be available on Webshots.com until December 1. After that, your content will no longer be available on Webshots.com.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have premium service it should be a smooth transition, I hope. I have a problem with the wording in the above paragraph that says that your content will only be accessible to you and anyone you invite. It sounds like it will be complicated to share a picture in forums like these in the future. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I have checked it out and I am pretty upset. No longer can you share publicly. Plus, my photos are no longer in albums. My photos were transferred and not all of them were transferred by a long shot. They are mixed up on the page. Only 663 are there and I had a paid account with thousands!:eek: Now to go back and see what is left of the mess. Unless I can figure it all out I will be transferring my photos to another site like Smug Mug.:(

Does anyone know if Smug Mug or any other service will allow you to transfer your Webshots photos to them?

It also says this about the change to a subscrption service going forward:

Does Smile by Webshots still have a free membership?

Smile by Webshots will be free to everyone until our official launch. When we launch later this fall, Smile will be a subscription service. We will offer a free 30-day trial so that you can decide whether you’d like to subscribe, but like many other photo services, we no longer offer a free membership. For information on subscription plans, please see our Pricing page.

The landscape of photo sharing has changed dramatically in the age of Facebook. Smile by Webshots is no longer a traditional public photo sharing site; it is a platform that pulls together your photos from multiple places and services for you to easily share. Smile gathers your photos from all the different places you keep them and stores them securely in the cloud where you can then share as many or as few as you want. If you are only interested in sharing publicly, there are a number of great services to check out: Instagram, SmugMug, Flickr, 500px to name a few.

What will happen to the photos, videos and Picture Shows in my old Webshots account?

Once you confirm your new Smile by Webshots account, all of your photos, videos and Picture Shows will be available through our new service, but only accessible to you and anyone you invite. Important: you must confirm your account to continue to access your photos. All of your old content will be available on Webshots.com until December 1. After that, your content will no longer be available on Webshots.com.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have premium service it should be a smooth transition, I hope. I have a problem with the wording in the above paragraph that says that your content will only be accessible to you and anyone you invite. It sounds like it will be complicated to share a picture in forums like these in the future. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I guess I never made it that far. Oh well. I hated webshots after they smacked me with spyware while I was paying for their service. I'll never pay another service again for what others offer for free. I think it's snapfish that still offers free photo storage. If it's not easy to share photos from there, I guess I won't share them. I had more trouble with webshots than it was worth. They left me with a bunch of missing pictures, too, showing red x's where pictures were.

I use shutterfly. They do allow you to share your photos publicly and best of all...it's FREE. They also send you great emails as well. Such as, getting items for free and all you have to do is pay the shipping.

ETA: All you have to do is copy and paste your photo from shutterfly to CC.

Sounds like it wouldn't be possible:

We always use an external hard drive. Cheap and easy to use plus some are portable. Never liked using someone else's web site to store my pics.

I think you can get a T unit for less than a hundred$ now. SAMs or Costco are good places to buy one.

We always use an external hard drive. Cheap and easy to use plus some are portable. Never liked using someone else's web site to store my pics.

I think you can get a T unit for less than a hundred$ now. SAMs or Costco are good places to buy one.

Doesn't do you any good however to post pictures to a public site....like here on CC.

We store our pictures on a separate hard drive, too. They aren't lost. But they aren't as easy to retrieve quickly to look at as they have been on Webshots. Also, photo sharing is not possible that way.

I have a Photobucket account, but I mainly use that for miscellaneous things I have picked up on the web. You can download something off the web with them, which you could not do with Webshots.

I have liked the look of the Smug Mug albums I have seen in the past. Any pros or cons of them vs Shutterfly and others. I don't mind paying a little for a premium service. I was a premium member with Webshots. what annoys me is that they were trying to push a more expensive option on me even last week that allowed you to put your albums in a slideshow format to music, etc. Surely they knew they were going to discontinue that option a week or so ago?:mad: I'm glad I didn't do it.

I stick with photobucket...for now...but that may change at some point in the future based on how many photos i want to send up to space to share...

that said...i store them on the external hard drive...speaking of which, that's my project for tomorrow..backing up the latest bunch of stuff to it....

Yea, I'm done with Webshots also. Some of my photos disappeared recently, they took away photo projects, like calendars, cards, etc, and now this? Done.

Of the other sites......Flickr, Photobucket, Snapfish, etc, can anyone say which is best? I want to be able to post to sites like this, and have photo projects, like calendars. I'm definitely going to switch.

I use shutterfly. They do allow you to share your photos publicly and best of all...it's FREE. They also send you great emails as well. Such as, getting items for free and all you have to do is pay the shipping.

ETA: All you have to do is copy and paste your photo from shutterfly to CC.

I almost forgot, I use them and snapfish both. I also use photobucket for individual pictures when I want to post them here - one by one. There are even apps for some of these sites making it easy enough to post a picture from an iPhone. Although tapatalk hosted photos work easy for that purpose, too. The pictures from websites post larger though which is sometimes nicer.

Gina

I like photobucket for posting to CC...

i have made a couple albums with shutterfly and they turned out very well...i just don't want to have to move them all again....at least the webshots is only about 750 photos...and most are several years old.....they may just stay on the external hard drive..

Yea, I'm done with Webshots also. Some of my photos disappeared recently, they took away photo projects, like calendars, cards, etc, and now this? Done.

Of the other sites......Flickr, Photobucket, Snapfish, etc, can anyone say which is best? I want to be able to post to sites like this, and have photo projects, like calendars. I'm definitely going to switch.

I know shutterfly can be nice. I went on an excursion in St. Kitts and the guy we went with uploads all the pictures he takes to individual albums. He then allows access and I was able to just duplicate the album of us into my account. That was really nice since he took loads of pictures. I know they have an easy photo album maker on line. And best buy always seems to promote them by offering a free photobook from them every time we buy a new camera from them.

I have used all of the ones you mentioned but not enough to really know which one is easiest or includes the most user friendly options. I hope we see more input. I was really turned off by webshots a couple of years ago but still used them once in a while to drop a picture or 2 at a time in my "public shoebox" album just for posting here, along with using photobucket for the same purpose.

Gina

So I guess I have to change my signature block. Frankly, it took so long to even post the pics I have (with captions, etc), I doubt I will put them on another site unless there is some easy way to move them all over. Too bad.

I know shutterfly can be nice. I went on an excursion in St. Kitts and the guy we went with uploads all the pictures he takes to individual albums. He then allows access and I was able to just duplicate the album of us into my account. That was really nice since he took loads of pictures. I know they have an easy photo album maker on line. And best buy always seems to promote them by offering a free photobook from them every time we buy a new camera from them.

I have used all of the ones you mentioned but not enough to really know which one is easiest or includes the most user friendly options. I hope we see more input. I was really turned off by webshots a couple of years ago but still used them once in a while to drop a picture or 2 at a time in my "public shoebox" album just for posting here, along with using photobucket for the same purpose.

Gina

Thanks Gina. It sounds like we share the same frustrations with Webshots. On top of everything else, they just deleted my entire Fantasy Fest Key West album that had several years of photos due to a few pictures someone, somewhere must have considered offensive. No notification, no chance to remove the few photos, just deleted. This is what I get for being a paid member. :rolleyes:

I've used snapfish and photobucket in the past and prefer shutterfly. I personally find it much more easier to use.

As far as photo projects and calendars go, you can do all of that with shutterfly. I'm not sure on the prices if you want to purchase those items. If you do sign up, keep an eye on your email. I get a few emails every week for either a percentage off of something or a free item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well at least it seems like I was able to get all my pix from Webshots downloaded to my computer....looks like most all are there from what I see. I guess now it's time to me to look for a new web-hosting site also......so looking at the recommendations here....please keep them coming as to which you seem to like best.

Doesn't do you any good however to post pictures to a public site....like here on CC.

Funny, I have never needed any help posting pics from my E DRIVE to CC or any other public site. Here is some art from allure:D...A crop of course

Another thread on the photo board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1608157

1397454674_IMG_0001-7(87)_rs.jpg.8fe37e1e0556777e796843052b07d842.jpg

Archived