LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

Trainman2 and your good lady, Judith, with this link, on a clear day we can watch you sail through the lock gates.

[URL]http://micanaldepanama.com/[/URL]

We can watch at any time, but especially when you sail through.

The NEW lock gates are due to open on 14th August 2014, the 100th anniversary of the current lock/gate system. However, the construction is behind schedule, and the current opening date is late October 2014.

Cartegena is one of the best ports and saw major use hundreds of years ago during the days of the sailing ships.

Here are three Google Earth views.

The last one shows the two small forts that protected the western entrance to the harbor.

Cartagena-03.jpg

Cartagena-01.jpg

Cartagena-02.jpg

We have a Horse Drawn Carriage Tour this morning that we arranged througth RCI.

Last night when I looked at the tickers they said "Wear comfortable walking shoes" which concerns me as we are both taking our walkers with us and booked the carriage so we don't have to walk.

When the Excursion Desk opens this morning I am going to talk with them about it.

When we booked it RCI said it would be perfect for us, riding in a carriage and almost no walking.

[quote name='Trainman-2']We have a Horse Drawn Carriage Tour this morning that we arranged througth RCI.

Last night when I looked at the tickers they said "Wear comfortable walking shoes" which concerns me as we are both taking our walkers with us and booked the carriage so we don't have to walk.

When the Excursion Desk opens this morning I am going to talk with them about it.

When we booked it RCI said it would be perfect for us, riding in a carriage and almost no walking.[/QUOTE]

The transportation that takes you from the ship drops you off outside the walled city. They are not allowed to go in. The streets are cobblestone and the horse and carriages are not just on the other side of the wall. Ask the tour leader for assistance. The people there are very kind and helpful.I think I saw pedicab's.

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/RevSmith2/good%20morning/Morningcoffee.jpg[/IMG]
[SIZE=4]Jim and Judith,

Really enjoying the photos. I love Cartegena, they were so kind to my late husband John in December 2008. Have a fun day and I hope you get to go on that city tour.
I showed Pat all your pictures and posts when she was over last night.
Rev
[/SIZE]

Good morning from Canada

It's pouring rain here, but looking at your pictures is just wonderful
By the way what's in an Aspin Summer -looks yummy, as well as the food pictures. Can't wait for our cruise on the Jewel to try some of these new dishes.

Thanks so much for posting - you have no idea how many people are following you in spirit only on course - lol
Keep up the good work

[quote name='DonnaK']Bon Voyage, Jim and Judith.

Can you please let me know who the cruise director is?[/quote]

Donna, just got off the Vision last Friday the CD is Keith Williams. I really liked him, he is a good sport.

Great review Trainman, got off the Vision 2 weeks ago so still nice to see all the pics, are the crew still friendly as a lot of them were getting on before the crossing on new contracts, we particularly liked chatting with Leonardo and Charlene who were greeters at the Windjammer, also, have you tried out the food at the Solarium cafe?, the Panini's are particularly nice and they cook them so well.

Hi Trainman,
You are the bomb! Never seen a live report before, this is fantastic.
One quick question for you (I'm sure I'll have more in the days to come).

Regarding espresso drinks at dinner: most lines now charge extra for this, how is it on the Vision?

Thank you, thank you !!!

Trainman. We look forward to joining you on your "Real Cruise" October 19th. If I understood you correctly this is simply the transit cruise to get you to your "Real Cruise"
;-)
Your live reports are getting us excited about the Cruise. We are learning so much from you. Thanks. Since we live in San Diego, Let us know if there is anything you need that we can bring on for you.
Brent and Karyn

Good Morning Jim and Judith!! I love waking up to all your posts and pictures!!

You mentioned how strong the coffee is, we couldn't agree more!!
Here's a little tip..... I would fill it half coffee and the other half hot water to tone it down, worked great!! :)

Have a great day, hope you enjoy the carriage ride :)

[quote name='insulationbabe']Good morning from Canada

It's pouring rain here, but looking at your pictures is just wonderful
By the way what's in an Aspin Summer -looks yummy, as well as the food pictures. Can't wait for our cruise on the Jewel to try some of these new dishes.

Thanks so much for posting - you have no idea how many people are following you in spirit only on course - lol
Keep up the good work[/quote]
Hi Bernice and Bob I see you are doing the Jewel out of Tampa in Nov. Will miss you by a few weeks. I doing her on Dec 8th. With all your cruising don't know if I'll catch up with you while in Fla this year. Missed seeing last year. Pat from Radiance Tampa cruise few yrs ago {St Pete}

Hello Everyone,

It is 2:30 local time (USA Central I think) and we are pooped!

We had a great time ashore in Cartagena ON RCI's Medieval Cartegena by Horse Drawn Carriage Tour. We recommend it highly. A great experience and almost no walking.

More on that later...

[quote name='Trainman-2']We made a new little friend in Cartagena today!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Trainman-2/2012%20Vision%20Panama%20Canal/8%20Oct%20Monday/IMG_0322.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Trainman-2/2012%20Vision%20Panama%20Canal/8%20Oct%20Monday/IMG_0323.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Trainman-2/2012%20Vision%20Panama%20Canal/8%20Oct%20Monday/IMG_0321.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I want one ! Think hubby would let me bring him home ? ....LOL

Sandy