LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

Hi-

Thanks for this great live thread. A couple of questions. How do I subscribe to live feed?

What are your thoughts about large vs. small ship. We are heading out for a B2B on Allure 10/28 for two weeks and it's our first time. We were advised to do two weeks because of the size/entertainment. We usually do 2 week trips on the smaller ships and plan on the 15 day Panama next November. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the differences; good and otherwise. Thanks!

The Caribbean on a Sunny Day!

This is what cruising is all about!

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

You got that right!!

Thanks again for your outstanding "Live" updates. You and Radio are hero's to the "Live" threads! :-)

Hopefully I'll do just as good next month at my 2nd attempt at one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

Hi-

Thanks for this great live thread. A couple of questions. How do I subscribe to live feed?

What are your thoughts about large vs. small ship. We are heading out for a B2B on Allure 10/28 for two weeks and it's our first time. We were advised to do two weeks because of the size/entertainment. We usually do 2 week trips on the smaller ships and plan on the 15 day Panama next November. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the differences; good and otherwise. Thanks!

The Vision is an old ship built to the old standards.

It has no specialty restaurants which we miss but they will be added soon during the refit.

We enjoy the large' date=' medium, and small ships. The larger ships, the more activities, but Judith and I are not big on having to be entertained.

We enjoy reading on our blacony and will be doing a lot more posting from the Pool Deck.

[i']If you can't entertain yourself, you are probably better on the larger ships.[/i]

Trainman, thank you so much for the great photos and sharing information about the ship. As you know, there has been little information nor updated photos posted recently, so your report is truly appreciated! I'll wave to you as you depart while we board :)

I must have "hexed" the Ship's Systems by saying good things about them.

The Internet Link went down during my last post and just cam beck up.

There is a comment on the Compass every day telling us to expect problems.

I will see hwat I can get accomplished.

I am enjoying following your trip. We just got off the Vision on Friday and had a terrible time with the internet while we were onboard. Hope you have better luck. I think she needs an upgrade and that won't happen until next September.

I need to comment that the live music on the ship is excellent on the Pool Deck and in the Centrum!

That's good news!!! We felt the same way about the live music on our Explorer cruise - excellent and abundant!

Good morning Trainman-2. Boy that sail away last night was one of the swiftest I have ever seen. She was pulling 9.1 knots in the inlet before she got to open sea.

Enjoy the peace and quiet without the little ones aboard. Please take pictures of all the Fogyville deck snoozers. People can be so funny when their sleeping.:D

Here's my sleeping picture from last month on the Summit:

DSC03438.jpg

My husband is in the background.

Hi there! Since you live in New York and unless you are doing a round trip like Trainman might I suggest you fly to San Diego and cruise from there back to the east coast. It really makes the changes in the time zones go easier. We did our crossing the end of Sept. and since it was an 18 day trip we had no small children and only one family with 2 young teanagers. It was fabulous! We were on the Celebrity Mercury which has since be sold and now the Millenium does the trip. It is about the same size as the Vision which is our favorite Royal class! You will love it. I will say that the new locks will be open in 2014...but maybe Trainman can give us an update on a more acurate time. We want to go again when they are open.

You're right, that's a great idea to do it that way! And I too would be interested to know when in 2014 the new locks might open! I haven't read to the end of the thread yet-someone has probably already answered that. ;).

The Morning Coffee Crisis...:eek:

The Starboard coffee area was "closed for cleaning" according to a crew member who walked by.

It certainly needed it as it was filthy, and the floor was covered with trash.

IMG_0120.jpg

The Crewman told me that the Port side Coffee area was open so I headed over there.

The regular coffee was empty and the decaffeinated coffee was cold.

A Security Guy walked by and I asked him to go into the Windjammer and "Stir Them Up" to get out some coffee.

A few minutes later, a Crewman appeared with a pot of hot regular coffee and the crisis was ended, You can see the new por to the left of the two regular dispensers.

IMG_0118.jpg

Unfortunately, the port side sweetener supply was nearly exhausted so I went back to the Starboard side to complete preparing my coffee.

IMG_0119.jpg

speaking of coffee I wonder if you know if it is liquid coffee or real bean coffee??

Lunch at the Windjammer today. I was in a mood for a turkey sandwich but there was no white bread or turkey. However, I persevered and had a great lunch. The Lentil soup was great!

My cruise was not ruined!

Hello trainman.

I'm following your thread as I have never been on a cruise but I hear all the stories about how fantastic the food is.

maybe you can help me out a bit or anyone else.

I see what you've been posting and so far I am not impressed.

This one put me over the top.

How does a cruise line that just sailed not have white bread and turkey?

No coffee in the morning unless you ask for it?

Is this typical of all cruise lines or just this company?

please help me out here!

Edited by ZeusC6

Hello trainman.

I'm following your thread as I have never been on a cruise but I hear all the stories about how fantastic the food is.

please help me out here!

It most likely just wasn't on the lunch menu. Keep in mind that this is from the Windjammer, which is very much like your chain buffet restaurants on land. It's the Main Dining Room and alternative restaurants where the really good stuff is.

Doing great Trainman!

Hello trainman.

please help me out here!

I'm surprised with this posting. On the buffet there always on any ship line they seem to have an assortment of lunchmeats which turkey or chicken would be one of them

going Jan 25 so will see then, although we prefer the dining room.

Trainman - I didn't know I was traveling with such a celebrity. I'll be catching up with you on the Vision on 10/19 but will enjoy your posts here. As you post info I'll be especially interested in the weather in each port - trying to wrap my mind around how hot and himid these places can be. Say it sin't so.

Margaret

I may live to regret this.

What's an Electric Slide?

Linda

Linda, you are so funny.

Remember the dances in the 60s and 70s and how they all had wierd names, "chicken, mashed potatoes, frug, watussi, etc."

It's that kind of thing.

It most likely just wasn't on the lunch menu. Keep in mind that this is from the Windjammer, which is very much like your chain buffet restaurants on land. It's the Main Dining Room and alternative restaurants where the really good stuff is.

Doing great Trainman!

Thanks! I'm waiting for the good stuff to show up then!

I'd bypass a buffet on a vacation.

I picture fancy plates decorated like a 5 star restuarent at dinner.

Trainmans dinner the other night looked like a slab of beef plopped down on the plate.

Looks very relaxing to say the least!

I may live to regret this.

What's an Electric Slide?

Linda

Linda, you are so funny.

Remember the dances in the 60s and 70s and how they all had wierd names, "chicken, mashed potatoes, frug, watussi, etc."

It's that kind of thing.

It's a kind of line dance.