Slight contradiction on loud music problem from Mr Bayley

shoreham01

I had nothing but praise for Mr Bayley when reading his responses to our many questions, and I really apprecitate him taking the time to get to know us and answer our questions.

Unfortunately, it looks like our many posts regarding loud club music in Martini bar will be ignored.

His first answer, to my question regarding the music was:-

And, I will ask our Entertainment team to look into your comments about the music. This isn't the only thread in which that was mentioned. If we’re playing music no one wants to hear – particularly if it’s played too loudly – we should adjust that.

Today, he has responded to 'Please don't change the Martini Bar ' with:-

I’m glad you enjoy the Martini Bar. I do, too. It tends to be the most popular place on our ships in evening hours. And while we’re planning to take a look at the volume of recorded music played in the pool area, which other members have mentioned in this week’s dialogue, we aren’t planning to change the music played in the Martini Bar. We know from guest feedback that the club music is a core element of the experience there, and one of the reasons so many of our guests love it. Thanks!

From the posts written here, I would have thought that the against the loud club music posts far outnumbered the for the loud club music posts.

I hope he visits the Eclipse and sees for himself how loud and intrusive the music coming from the Martini Bar is. I would love to sit there myself and enjoy some martinis, but for me part of the enjoyment of a cruise is to chat to various people, something that is impossible to do in that bar, and also the Molecular bar.

I'm not entirely surprised I'm afraid. It's one of the reasons I started my thread about what it meant that he had not yet posted his answer on the noisy music thread.

If I remember rightly the noisy music thread was on page one when Mr Bayley started answering our comments. He has leapfrogged over it and answered lots of other questions first. It is now on page two.

I am sad because I love the ambience and style of the Martini Bar (and the martinis obviously :D) but it seems as if us oldies are now expected to forgo this attractive space and make our way to the more sedate Ensemble Bar or similar instead :(:(:(.

The music level there (and in the Molecular Bar) was just fine in August 2011 - I wonder why things had to change :confused:.

I had nothing but praise for Mr Bayley when reading his responses to our many questions, and I really apprecitate him taking the time to get to know us and answer our questions.

Unfortunately, it looks like our many posts regarding loud club music in Martini bar will be ignored.

And, I will ask our Entertainment team to look into your comments about the music. This isn't the only thread in which that was mentioned. If we’re playing music no one wants to hear – particularly if it’s played too loudly – we should adjust that.

I’m glad you enjoy the Martini Bar. I do, too. It tends to be the most popular place on our ships in evening hours. And while we’re planning to take a look at the volume of recorded music played in the pool area, which other members have mentioned in this week’s dialogue, we aren’t planning to change the music played in the Martini Bar. We know from guest feedback that the club music is a core element of the experience there, and one of the reasons so many of our guests love it. Thanks!

From the posts written here, I would have thought that the against the loud club music posts far outnumbered the for the loud club music posts.

I hope he visits the Eclipse and sees for himself how loud and intrusive the music coming from the Martini Bar is. I would love to sit there myself and enjoy some martinis, but for me part of the enjoyment of a cruise is to chat to various people, something that is impossible to do in that bar, and also the Molecular bar.

I got the impression (from reading his latest reply) that they would look into lowering the volume around the pool area but that the Martini Bar is not an option? He really didn't address the volume issue for that venue - just basically skirted the issue! :eek:

As I said in an earlier post...loud music has been shown to increase the revenue from a bar. The game is revenue, so don't expect the music in bar areas to go down......even though the studies are done on a much younger demographic.

I don't read the contradiction in his statements.

On the pool area issue, he does address the volume issue but in the Martini Bar issue, he simply talks about the music and that they are not going to change it. I am reading that the music, what is being played, will not change. As far as the Martini Bar is concerned, I believe him to be right. It is one of the most popular places onboard. Very often it is impossible to get a seat or table there so I suspect the people who crowd the place are not concerned over the volume.

Ambience is the "atmosphere" of the place. It include the setting, the decor and also the activity in the place. Martini bars by nature (ashore) are not quite, restful places, they are lively, active, noisy places. There are lots of bars and lounges all over the ship. Some will be much more active and noisy, other less so. I believe (I know) there are many places for quiet conversations as well as places for a bit more ...ummm...activity.

Yes, there have been posts about the volume of the music but, considering there are 4000 people onboard every ship on each sailing, a few posts (or even a hundred) do not constitute a lot.

I don't read the contradiction in his statements.

On the pool area issue, he does address the volume issue but in the Martini Bar issue, he simply talks about the music and that they are not going to change it. I am reading that the music, what is being played, will not change. As far as the Martini Bar is concerned, I believe him to be right. It is one of the most popular places onboard. Very often it is impossible to get a seat or table there so I suspect the people who crowd the place are not concerned over the volume.

Ambience is the "atmosphere" of the place. It include the setting, the decor and also the activity in the place. Martini bars by nature (ashore) are not quite, restful places, they are lively, active, noisy places. There are lots of bars and lounges all over the ship. Some will be much more active and noisy, other less so. I believe (I know) there are many places for quiet conversations as well as places for a bit more ...ummm...activity.

Yes, there have been posts about the volume of the music but, considering there are 4000 people onboard every ship on each sailing, a few posts (or even a hundred) do not constitute a lot.

I agree, well said

My problem is NOT with the Martini Bar. If the music is too loud we can just go to another venue.

But, the shows in the Celebrity Theater are another matter. One would have to miss the entertainment and shows if the music was too loud. The production shows and other fine performers each night are for us one of the main joys of cruising. Sadly, I have to carry ear plugs with me and need to use them maybe 20-25% of the time. One could argue that ear splitting volume levels add to the ambiance of rock music. Perhaps that is so. However, most of the music in the Celebrity Theater is not rock.

I might also have to acknowledge that those of us who object to deafening sound levels may be in the minority. I have seen many rousing standing ovations at the end of shows that I found the most physically painful on the ears, even with ear plugs.

Since Mr. Bayley spends about two to three minutes per reply, which includes both reading questions and responding, my guess is that he probably has time to read just the first post in each thread. I don't know how he does it. I have just spent 20 minutes reading and responding just to this one thread. While Mr. Bayley has addressed the volume levels in threads where decibel levels were mentioned incidentally, he has not responded to the most active thread on the topic directly. I hope he is "saving the best for last" ;)

I also agree that as long as the Martini Bar stays as busy as it has on the last few ships we have been on, there is little incentive for Celebrity to make a change. It would appear that there are enough people who either do not think the music is too loud or are unwilling to leave even if they do, that there is no incentive to change the type or volume at this time.

For full disclosure, the volume and the type of music played does not bother me. But from some of the posts, it does appear the volume change might be a more recent development.

My problem is NOT with the Martini Bar. If the music is too loud we can just go to another venue.

But, the shows in the Celebrity Theater are another matter. One would have to miss the entertainment and shows if the music was too loud. The production shows and other fine performers each night are for us one of the main joys of cruising. Sadly, I have to carry ear plugs with me and need to use them maybe 20-25% of the time. One could argue that ear splitting volume levels add to the ambiance of rock music. Perhaps that is so. However, most of the music in the Celebrity Theater is not rock.

I might also have to acknowledge that those of us who object to deafening sound levels may be in the minority. I have seen many rousing standing ovations at the end of shows that I found the most physically painful on the ears, even with ear plugs.

Since Mr. Bayley spends about two to three minutes per reply, which includes both reading questions and responding, my guess is that he probably has time to read just the first post in each thread. I don't know how he does it. I have just spent 20 minutes reading and responding just to this one thread. While Mr. Bayley has addressed the volume levels in threads where decibel levels were mentioned incidentally, he has not responded to the most active thread on the topic directly. I hope he is "saving the best for last" ;)

I totally agree with you and did mention it in my post to Mr Bayley. We have left the theatre a few times because of the noise level. We are on the Summit for the 4th time in November and I will go directly to the cruise director if the noise once more becomes unbearable.

Lets hope Celelbrity addresses this problem.

Ontario Cruiser

Summit B2B Nov 3/2012

I totally agree with you and did mention it in my post to Mr Bayley. We have left the theatre a few times because of the noise level. We are on the Summit for the 4th time in November and I will go directly to the cruise director if the noise once more becomes unbearable.

Lets hope Celelbrity addresses this problem.

Ontario Cruiser

Summit B2B Nov 3/2012

I have in fact gone to the cruise director of the Summit after the first show and explained how painfully loud the music was. He thanked me and said he would pass it on. The rest of the shows were tolerable until the last production show. It was excruciatingly loud. I have a decibel reader on my iPhone. I am very tempted to take it out and take a measurement.

Since I don't have plans to stop cruising anytime soon, I expect that I will just have to continue to carry my ear plugs just in case. Incidentally, I have found these increasingly high volume levels across all the cruise lines we have been on including Princess, Cunard and HAL. It is certainly not a problem unique to Celebrity. My guess is that most passengers don't even consider it a problem.

He sounds more like a politician than a CEO.....

I have in fact gone to the cruise director of the Summit after the first show and explained how painfully loud the music was. He thanked me and said he would pass it on. The rest of the shows were tolerable until the last production show. It was excruciatingly loud. I have a decibel reader on my iPhone. I am very tempted to take it out and take a measurement.

Since I don't have plans to stop cruising anytime soon, I expect that I will just have to continue to carry my ear plugs just in case. Incidentally, I have found these increasingly high volume levels across all the cruise lines we have been on including Princess, Cunard and HAL. It is certainly not a problem unique to Celebrity. My guess is that most passengers don't even consider it a problem.

I also have discussed the loudness of the music in the shows with various cruise directors on different ships and have not seen any difference. I am not a sound engineer but I do think the volume of the band could be turned down so that one could understand and hear the singers words. Also, the canned music in different venues, such as the buffet, is quite loud and if you want to have a conversation over a meal, it is impossible. Have loud music in the bars that are lively but, please, help us preserve our hearing.

mprcruiser

Hummmm. Wonder if we could find a quiet time in the day to sneek in with a screwdriver, and disconnect the speekers?? :D

We just returned from the Constellation and I totally agree that the theatre productions were too loud.

Also-- does anyone know what the weird music is that they play in the dining room? At least it isn't loud. But, I would like to buy Celebrity a new CD.

Of course he's a CEO and sounds like one.... but he hasn't answered the "LOUD" music issue thread yet with his pool music comment I don't think.

I can understand the Martini bar decision and can live with it. Not happy and I might have to take my pin down in my signature but it really is the other area's that get under my skin and I await his answer.

Hopefully he will have time to get to it.

I also have discussed the loudness of the music in the shows with various cruise directors on different ships and have not seen any difference. I am not a sound engineer but I do think the volume of the band could be turned down so that one could understand and hear the singers words. Also, the canned music in different venues, such as the buffet, is quite loud and if you want to have a conversation over a meal, it is impossible. Have loud music in the bars that are lively but, please, help us preserve our hearing.

mprcruiser

I am a sound engineer and I agree with your "non trained" view of the shows. However, it is in concert with many TV programs where the music is so loud that you can't hear the voices. In defense of Celebrity, folks today are so used to overly loud sound that they expect it when they go to a show. If the sound was not as loud as it is, they would have complaints. They are caught in the middle. We no longer go to shows because a) they are too loud and b) frankly they aren't all that good.

You aren't going to lose your hearing...the sound level is pretty much the same as if you were in a movie theater listening to a loud soundtrack....85db. It is impossible to talk over that without yelling, but many bars these days have the same volume.

I fully agree that there should be some nice outdoor area with no music...other than having to stay in one's cabin.

Active cruise critic members are a miniscule percentage of the cruising public. The posters on the Celebrity thread in particular seem "more mature" than the demographic that they are targeting and I think it is clear they have no intention of making the Martini Bar a place for easy listening songs or oldies.

There are quieter options all over the ship. Martini Bar is not going to be one of them.

I am a sound engineer and I agree with your "non trained" view of the shows. However, it is in concert with many TV programs where the music is so loud that you can't hear the voices. In defense of Celebrity, folks today are so used to overly loud sound that they expect it when they go to a show. If the sound was not as loud as it is, they would have complaints. They are caught in the middle. We no longer go to shows because a) they are too loud and b) frankly they aren't all that good.

You aren't going to lose your hearing...the sound level is pretty much the same as if you were in a movie theater listening to a loud soundtrack....85db. It is impossible to talk over that without yelling, but many bars these days have the same volume.

I fully agree that there should be some nice outdoor area with no music...other than having to stay in one's cabin.

I would like to ask you a question since you are a sound engineer. Is it possible to have the band backing a singer not overpower the singer? That is my main objection (other than all of it is very loud to me). Even wearing ear plugs during the show I sometimes have difficulty understanding the words. Yes, I have had my hearing checked and I do have extremly good hearing.

Thanks for your answer

mprcruiser

Active cruise critic members are a miniscule percentage of the cruising public. The posters on the Celebrity thread in particular seem "more mature" than the demographic that they are targeting and I think it is clear they have no intention of making the Martini Bar a place for easy listening songs or oldies.

There are quieter options all over the ship. Martini Bar is not going to be one of them.

Good point. I'm the one that posed the Martini bar question to Mr Bayley. There so many places , bars and venues on the ship where those that like softer music can congregate. The sunset bar, Michaels club, skyview lounge, cellar masters, the bar in the lobby etc etc. I think it's a good idea to have one spot that's different, and given Mr Bayleys answer, so does he.

He sounds more like a politician than a CEO.....

Indeed!

It is impossible to please everyone.

I am glad he is not a politician or else he would inevitably succumb to the special interest groups. He has a business to run, his aim is to please the most people, not the few complainers.

As I mentioned before, I suspect that the greater majority of the thousands of folks on board each ship every day do not have a problem and those few that do actually have alternatives. I mean, even the OP said that they use earplugs but only "need to use them maybe 20-25% of the time." That is not very much at all and a lot of talk for so little.

This topic is as persistent as the what to wear on formal nights or smuggling bottles on board topic LOL. :)

Oh well, looks like the Martini Bar experience is out for us. Mr. Bayley is not being up front and it might take us away from Celebrity. Sadly, it was so loud on Silhouette, in so many venues, that we couldn't hear ourselves think. We'll be on Eclipse in March so it might be our last experience. We loved the quiet on the M class ships so S class will be our last one if the music remains at the decibel levels on Silhouette. As has been said previously the set-up on the S class ships is not one we truly like at all and for those who like the beautiful library it's very noisy. Everything is off the central atrium and the noise level travel up thru the entire ship.

To each his own.

As I said in an earlier post...loud music has been shown to increase the revenue from a bar. The game is revenue, so don't expect the music in bar areas to go down......even though the studies are done on a much younger demographic.

Will Celebrity consider making more money by revisiting your post and revamping the library and card room for more profits with:

Shaking Books Martini Bar

Thumping & Trumping Card Bar

They may as well. The Grand Foyer Music is shaking the walls from Guest Services up to Pool Deck $$$$$$$

-Marisa

Archived