Cruise Withdrawal

Prof Peg

It starts with a lump in my throat the last night. I usually stay busy so I don't sob all over myself. The withdrawal is usually the worst when my plane lands, I look out the window and I see all that awful ice and snow blowing all over the runway.

I must really have a serious case. Even during the cruise, after the first sea day is nearly over, I'll go to the top deck and look out at the sea and islands and get this pang of regret that one day of the cruise is nearly gone. It took so long to get to the cruise and already, some of it is history. Then I console myself that there are several days left and I am actually cruising. That helps. Each day, however, that pang gets deeper and deeper until one monring I am sitting with my carry-ons waiting to be called to leave the ship. "Oh the humanity!" (For you youngsters, that phrase came from the Hindenberg movie when people actually cruised in the skies.)

It starts with a lump in my throat the last night. I usually stay busy so I don't sob all over myself. The withdrawal is usually the worst when my plane lands, I look out the window and I see all that awful ice and snow blowing all over the runway.

Know that sight well...the ice and snow on the runway. The only thing that can make it worse is when you can't make the trip home and have to stay at your home airport because of the snow.

As 2 of you have posted, it's the last morning when I get up and get my coffee, danish, sit on the balcony watching the sun rise and realizing the next day I will be getting off the ship. Also, taking down door/cabin decorations and packing. :(:( Look at my cruise history in my sig. I was so darn spoiled for so long going on 2-3 cruises/year, then some financial setbacks forced one/year, but THEN we had to cancel last May's cruise. I have not been on a cruise since May, '11 and am going BONKERS. Even booked a WINTER CRUISE FROM MANHATTAN since it's cheap and I HAVE TO GET ON A SHIP BEFORE I GO CRAZY.... :eek: Okay, got that out of my system...I sympathize with all of you. People who have never cruised or who aren't CRUISE ADDICTS just DO NOT understand....:confused: One trick....the 2nd to last day (which is usually a sea day for us on 8 day cruises) I make pretend it's the last day, and really P A R T Y. Then I wake up on the last day and realize I have ONE MORE DAY! :D Oh, I am so bad about withdrawl that when I am leaving the ship I look back one last time and sing Yesterday by the Beatles: Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away.....(aren't you glad I answered this thread!!! :p)

How long after you get off the ship does cruise withdrawal set in?

Cruising only once a year is getting physically painful with shorter and shorter periods before I start the withdrawal symptoms. Soon I'll be hanging on to the cabin door and refusing to let the next guests in!! :eek:

I try not to let this happen by immediately planning for and booking another one!:D

"Oh the humanity!" (For you youngsters, that phrase came from the Hindenberg movie when people actually cruised in the skies.)

Sorry to get off topic, but I will make this quick. Another history lesson, since they are not interested in teaching anything not involved in State tests anymore. The man that cried out the words "Oh, the humanity!" was fired for losing his composure during a live radio broadcast. One of the most famous lines in 20th century American history got a man fired. Who'd a thunk it?

Cruising only once a year is getting physically painful with shorter and shorter periods before I start the withdrawal symptoms. Soon I'll be hanging on to the cabin door and refusing to let the next guests in!! :eek:

For us, the withdrawals starts when they tell us we have to get off the ship.

Ok, I know this is bad but I haven't even sailed yet and I'm having withdrawals already :(

November will be my 3rd cruise since October 2011 so I've been happily planning all these cruises for the past year. 2013 is going to be busy with kids HS graduation, starting college, a friends milestone birthday getaway (and how dare she not want to cruise :mad:) so its looking like I may not get to cruise next year. I may have to wait until 2014 :(

I'm not sure if I can wait that long. I think I need to join a group ;)

I hate the have-to-pack the night before . To me that screams it's over. The only thing that makes me feel better is having other cruise in Dec, and another a month after that. I'm sure I will book one to feel better when getting off those. Lol. OH I found a bit of a cure, don't take to much and carry it off yourself. No night before trauma. JMO Unfortunitely there's no cure for Debarking fever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm usually in tears at debarkation! So I guess it starts for me immediately. I'm really suffering these days. The economic down-turn and job lay-off forced me to cancel my 2012 cruise. My next cruise won't be until 2014. I'm working again, but still recovering financially so a 2013 voyage would be fiscally irresponsible.

I wonder how odd it will feel stepping onto the ship after three years away. Like you, I'm an annual cruiser. It helps having a cruise booked - despite the fact that it's in the WAY distant future - because I can at least look up excursions, view photos of the ship, read reviews and feel like I'm PART of the cruise community, even when I can't be cruising!!!

I'm usually in tears at debarkation! So I guess it starts for me immediately. I'm really suffering these days. The economic down-turn and job lay-off forced me to cancel my 2012 cruise. My next cruise won't be until 2014. I'm working again, but still recovering financially so a 2013 voyage would be fiscally irresponsible.

I wonder how odd it will feel stepping onto the ship after three years away. Like you, I'm an annual cruiser. It helps having a cruise booked - despite the fact that it's in the WAY distant future - because I can at least look up excursions, view photos of the ship, read reviews and feel like I'm PART of the cruise community, even when I can't be cruising!!!

That is wonderful that you were able to get a job again!! These are indeed very tough economic times. I think you have the right idea though - book a cruise right away, even if its a distance in the future. You have to have some kind of dream and that's a good dream!!

Happy sailing.

Archived