Alaska in May 2013.. First time Alaska Cruisers

Radioguyaz

My wife and I will be going from Vancouver to Seward in May 2013 on the Radiance of the Seas. Any tips for first time Alaska cruisers?

Be prepared for rain. We just did a cruisetour that was in Denai area at the end of May. Generally the weather was real nice (sunny) but the day we took the Tundra Wilderness Tour it was snowy and rainy. And cold.

:)

First, start researching each port of call so you can begin to figure out what you will do at each port. Part of the fun is the planning and the better you plan the more you will gain from your trip.

In terms of clothing the key is to be prepared and that includes being able to layer your clothing.

Keith

Be prepared for rain. We just did a cruisetour that was in Denai area at the end of May. Generally the weather was real nice (sunny) but the day we took the Tundra Wilderness Tour it was snowy and rainy. And cold.

:)

Thanks for the great info.. We are really looking forward to it. This is the first cruise we have booked on our own. The last cruise we went on was with a group.

Are you extending your time for main land Alaska touring? I highly recommend you take advantage of being there. At the very least plan on touring Seward.

Look over shore excursion lists and make decisions how you will occupy your Alaska port times. This really isn't the place to just "walk around, or shop", since there is so much more to consider. I'm a firm advocate of budgeting fully for tours, they are at least half the trip for me.

I have booked a whale watching tour in Icy Strait Point so far.. Other than that I am still looking. It is a little overwhelming when you first look at all there is to do in each port.

This is a good link for some overview info.Follow this and click on the Alaska thread.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/juneau.html

I am also flying in the day of the cruise. Which we always do.. I'm just unsure of the customs wait at Vancouver.

You have customs at both the airport and Canada Place. Expect it to take more time.

I would only recommend the first available flight out that morning. The fastest direct transfer is for you to be able to handle ALL your own baggage and take the Lightrail.

You have customs at both the airport and Canada Place. Expect it to take more time.

I would only recommend the first available flight out that morning. The fastest direct transfer is for you to be able to handle ALL your own baggage and take the Lightrail.

We are indeed on the first flight out of Phoenix at 5:35 am that morning. The transfers were part of our cruise package so I am hopeful that the Royal Caribbean folks will be there and have it handled.

I am also flying in the day of the cruise. Which we always do.. I'm just unsure of the customs wait at Vancouver.

As far as the airport, getting through customs did take around an hour for us. Depending on how you get to the port, traffic can eat up a lot of time too. Traffic can be pretty bad getting into Vancouver.

Im not sure when they post it, but you can look at the Vancouver harbor authority and see what ships are in port the day you embark. That will give you an idea of what the load is going to be like. This year, when we sailed from Vancouver (on the Radiance, in May), we were the only ship in port that day. There was absolutely no waiting to get on the ship.

You will have a great time! If you are a wildlife lover, pack a heavy jacket and some good binoculars. I was always up early to head out to the front of the ship to try to spy some whales. We saw some from afar (look for the blows). The coolest thing we saw from the ship was dolphins...a whole line of them stretching as far as the eye could see! It can get cold in front of the ship and by the glaciers.

Here are some pics I snapped from this May. I don't know what kind of weather you are going to have, but we got a lot of overcast most days. Some days we had sun, some we had light rain.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13944777@N08/sets/72157630075976318/with/7348531626/

Radiance was a neat ship. I recommend trying out the alternate dining spots. Chops was excellent! Park Cafe and the Solarium was our refuge most of the time after excursions.

Good Luck!

As far as the airport, getting through customs did take around an hour for us. Depending on how you get to the port, traffic can eat up a lot of time too. Traffic can be pretty bad getting into Vancouver.

Im not sure when they post it, but you can look at the Vancouver harbor authority and see what ships are in port the day you embark. That will give you an idea of what the load is going to be like. This year, when we sailed from Vancouver (on the Radiance, in May), we were the only ship in port that day. There was absolutely no waiting to get on the ship.

You will have a great time! If you are a wildlife lover, pack a heavy jacket and some good binoculars. I was always up early to head out to the front of the ship to try to spy some whales. We saw some from afar (look for the blows). The coolest thing we saw from the ship was dolphins...a whole line of them stretching as far as the eye could see! It can get cold in front of the ship and by the glaciers.

Here are some pics I snapped from this May. I don't know what kind of weather you are going to have, but we got a lot of overcast most days. Some days we had sun, some we had light rain.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13944777@N08/sets/72157630075976318/with/7348531626/

Radiance was a neat ship. I recommend trying out the alternate dining spots. Chops was excellent! Park Cafe and the Solarium was our refuge most of the time after excursions.

Good Luck!

Awesome pictures! I am beyond excited for this trip. I just wish May would hurry up and get here.

GREAT PICTURES!!! Thanks for sharing

I would go prepared for damp, cool weather. I would want to take a waterproof shell with a hood, a fleece to wear under it, warm socks, shoes that have been sprayed several time with waterproofing, some people like waterproof pants but I have never owned a pair, a hat and some gloves. Enjoy your cruise and wave to me as you sail by my front door.:)

Archived